Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Cap

UndecidedFrog

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Freeney is either traded or cut, that would save $14.035MM to the 2012 cap.

Currently, Freeney represents a $19.035MM cap hit to 2012.

$14.035MM base salary

$5MM pro-rated unamortized bonus pieces.

So, these are the numbers even if he is cut in June?

2012 cap

updated to reflect K. Hayden and J. McClendon carryover cap hits

updated to reflect updates to the contracts data base spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/

updated to relect the positive carryover from 2011 http://profootballta...-space-by-team/

updated to reflect the Redskins/Cowboys penalty http://espn.go.com/n...lions-cap-space

updated to include Justice http://www.spotrac.c...inston-justice/

updated to include an estimate of Wayne $17.5MM; 3 years; $7.5MM upfront; 2.5,3.5,4 salaries

updated to include an estimate of Redding $10.5MM; 3 years; $5.25MM upfront; 1.25,1.5,2.5 salaries

42 players under contract = $71.15MM

9 players with dead cap space = $37.83MM

Luck = $4.20MM

10 Rookies= $5.4MM (allowing aggregate $1.5MM in premiums to picks #34 and #65)

Total = $118.58MM

Cap = $120.6MM

2011 cap rollover = $2.5MM

Additional cap space awarded by league (Cowboys/Redskins penalty) = $1.6MM

Available = $6.12MM

2012 cap

updated to reflect updates to the contracts data base spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/

updated to relect the positive carryover from 2011 http://profootballta...-space-by-team/

updated to reflect the Redskins/Cowboys penalty http://espn.go.com/n...lions-cap-space

updated to include an estimate of Wayne $17.5MM; 3 years; $7.5MM upfront; 2.5,3.5,4 salaries

updated to include an estimate of Redding $10.5MM; 3 years; $5.25MM upfront; 1.25,1.5,2.5 salaries

Luck = $4.20MM

Total = $118.58MM

Cap = $120.6MM

Available = $6.12MM

so my assumption of having spent around 9M out of 15.8M was about right, leaving 6M in cap space.

So we could spend some money on a couple of depth players, but that's about it. With the releases of Clark, Brackett, Bullitt, and Addai, we'll have a lot of money next year, so let's spend the 6M this year, and we'll still have a lot of money next year.

If my estimates for Wayne and Redding are correct or close to correct.

I think they are. My question is where are you getting ten rookies from? We have at most nine draft picks, assuming we don't trade Freeney (which changes your projection by $14 million). You already included Luck's projected $4.2 million. So shouldn't it be eight rookies you're taking into consideration? Not that it changes much, just wondering if we acquired some picks I don't know about somewhere.

So we could spend some money on a couple of depth players, but that's about it. With the releases of Clark, Brackett, Bullitt, and Addai, we'll have a lot of money next year, so let's spend the 6M this year, and we'll still have a lot of money next year.

If we're not doing anything with Freeney (and I think we are, one way or the other), it would be better to hold on to the $6 million just in case we need to replace a player, or if a good opportunity presents itself for a good veteran signing.

I think they are. My question is where are you getting ten rookies from? We have at most nine draft picks, assuming we don't trade Freeney (which changes your projection by $14 million). You already included Luck's projected $4.2 million. So shouldn't it be eight rookies you're taking into consideration? Not that it changes much, just wondering if we acquired some picks I don't know about somewhere.

42 contracted players + Luck = 43.

We need 10 more players to come up to a 53 man roster.

I have assumed a premium over rookie minimum for picks #34 and #65.

Anything extra will have to come out of the cap space left.

If we're not doing anything with Freeney (and I think we are, one way or the other), it would be better to hold on to the $6 million just in case we need to replace a player, or if a good opportunity presents itself for a good veteran signing.

That's what I mean by spending, spend it on veteran players, if the price is right. Now, if we need to replace someone, I think we should do it in the draft.

42 contracted players + Luck = 43.

We need 10 more players to come up to a 53 man roster.

I have assumed a premium over rookie minimum for picks #34 and #65.

Anything extra will have to come out of the cap space left.

Ah. I'm thinking draft picks, you're talking about draft picks plus potential UDFAs. Either way, we have to round the roster out.

That's what I mean by spending, spend it on veteran players, if the price is right. Now, if we need to replace someone, I think we should do it in the draft.

When I say replace someone, I mean later in the offseason, like a significant injury in training camp or preseason. Knock on wood, of course. But we should keep a healthy buffer for that possibility.

I think what it comes down to is we can sighn maybe two draft players if lucky, I loved we got reggie back and redding is a nice pickup and Winston Im not sure about yet, but if we were going to get a wide receiver that should have been done in the draft in my opinion, familiar faces are nice but that wasnt even our biggest hole, although D-Line was in my opinion one of our two biggest holes along with corner. now I love freeny but its time to go, if need be Mathis can rotate between linebacker and defensive end

Ah. I'm thinking draft picks, you're talking about draft picks plus potential UDFAs. Either way, we have to round the roster out.

Yes. Our draft picks are in there, and UDFAs as well, as well as any other FA that might come along.

The thing is, I am assuming that beyond pick #65 (third round), the rest of the draftees and UDFAs get rookie minimums.

Anything extra will eat into the remaining cap space.

Yes. Our draft picks are in there, and UDFAs as well, as well as any other FA that might come along.

The thing is, I am assuming that beyond pick #65 (third round), the rest of the draftees and UDFAs get rookie minimums.

Anything extra will eat into the remaining cap space.

No terms on Zbikowski yet. No confirmation, for that matter, but it seems like it's a done deal. I wonder what kind of money we're giving him, and whether we're expecting him to be our starting strong safety. Even if we do expect that to be the case, we still need to draft a safety. Lower priority now though, definitely in the 4th round or beyond.

No terms on Zbikowski yet. No confirmation, for that matter, but it seems like it's a done deal. I wonder what kind of money we're giving him, and whether we're expecting him to be our starting strong safety. Even if we do expect that to be the case, we still need to draft a safety. Lower priority now though, definitely in the 4th round or beyond.

No idea what the terms of the deal with Z are. However, he was had for rookie minimum when he was with the Ravens,

so cap doesnt involve our draft? and if it does what makes ya all think those players will sign for the little they will get

2012 cap

Luck = $4.20MM

Total = $118.58MM

Cap = $120.6MM

Available = $6.12MM

Hope that helps you! Undecided Frog has already put forth tentative salaries for our draft picks and included them in the cap.

We had about $6 million available before signing McGlynn and Zbikowski. I would assume we still have something above $3 million left at this point.

Most likely. I'd like to see us stay there throughout the regular season and not sign any more players unless some current ones are released to free up extra cap. You have to have some breathing room to provide for any necessity signing during the season, and you have to leave some room for the players who contracts will generate a bigger cap splash next year with their increasing salaries.

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

As I noted previously, the Colts would cut Justice's pay. Source confirms his base salary has been dropped from $3.225 M to $1.5 M for 2012. And his final season is 2012, 2013 is gone from the contract.

If this is true, and assuming we get McGlynn and Zbikowski for vet minimum ($700K), we have about $7.2MM of cap room.

If this is true, and assuming we get McGlynn and Zbikowski for vet minimum ($700K), we have about $7.2MM of cap room.

I wish we had offered Courtney Roby a contract. He is a viable 3rd receiver and a excellent returner. The Saints don't need him anymore with Sproles in town, and I believe he is a free agent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/cap-space-as-of-march-15/

According to Fulbio... the cap room heading into Thursday was 14.3. I've not been able to pay much attention to many of the transactions the past two days, so I'm not sure how his # fits with yours. Just passing along the info.

http://profootballta...as-of-march-15/

According to Fulbio... the cap room heading into Thursday was 14.3. I've not been able to pay much attention to many of the transactions the past two days, so I'm not sure how his # fits with yours. Just passing along the info.

I have about $7.2 after all the signings, and making guesses to the lack of detailed information regarding these signings. I assumed McGlynn and Zbikowski have signed for vet minimums, and that Justice is hitting the cap at $1.5, while Redding hits it at $3, and Wayne at $5.

I have about $7.2 after all the signings, and making guesses to the lack of detailed information regarding these signings. I assumed McGlynn and Zbikowski have signed for vet minimums, and that Justice is hitting the cap at $1.5, while Redding hits it at $3, and Wayne at $5.

Those are good ballpark #'s.

Those are good ballpark #'s.

Florio's number is close. He has $14.3 before Andrew Luck ($4.2), before Zbikowski ($0.7), before the roster fill with rookie minimums( 8 rookies at $3.12), and before the draft premiums associated with picks #34 and #65 (aggregate at $1.5).

After those hits, his number is $4.78

My number, after those hits is $7.22

Im confused, it's 14.3M in cap space, not 6.2M. I appreciate all the things you guys are doing, but I hope they're not wrong numbers, or then this whole thing would be useless.

It depends how you want to look at it. Do you want your cap space number estimated before or after the monies to be used in the draft and UDFA?

If you want it before draft, before rounding it up to complete your 53 man roster, before Luck, then I have the cap space estimated at $16.05.

If you want it after the draft, after rounding it up to complete your 53 man roster, after Luck, then the cap space is estimated at $7.22

Im confused, it's 14.3M in cap space, not 6.2M. I appreciate all the things you guys are doing, but I hope they're not wrong numbers, or then this whole thing would be useless.

2012 cap

Luck = $4.20MM

Total = $118.58MM

Cap = $120.6MM

Available = $6.12MM

The reason for the difference in numbers, if I read things right, is that the 14 million figure is without rookie contracts. When you add the salaries for the rookies that we will draft this year, you get a lower number. If you leave those out, you get the higher number.

UndecidedFrog has added in the (possible) rookie contracts merely to give us a better view of how much money we really have available to spend on free agents. If we were looking at the 14 million number, we'd all be shouting to sign Mike Wallace and Ted Ginn, Jr., without realizing that we have to pay our rookies something! So UndecidedFrog has added in the probable rookie contracts to give us all a better perspective on exactly how much money the Colts really have available to them.

The actual cap (high number), minus rookie contracts equals the lower number.

2012 cap

updated to include Justice Adam Caplan@caplannfl

updated to include an estimate of McGlynn at vet minimum $0.7MM

updated to include an esimate of Zbikowski at vet minimum $0.7MM

44 players under contract = $70.83MM

players with dead cap space = $37.83MM

Luck = $4.20MM

8 Rookies= $4.62MM (allowing aggregate $1.5MM in premiums to picks #34 and #65)

Total = $117.48MM

Salary Cap = $120.6MM

Add 2011 cap rollover = $2.5MM

Available = $7.22MM