Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Paid For Not Playing

bigunjohn

Just wondering..... I LOVE Peyton Manning! Just wondering why Irsey is such a heavey in all this? I mean he paid the guy SEVERAL million to NOT play this year. Seems tro me Peyton might consider re- negotiating the bonus given Irsey's honor in paying him for this last year.

Just wondering..... I LOVE Peyton Manning! Just wondering why Irsey is such a heavey in all this? I mean he paid the guy SEVERAL million to NOT play this year. Seems tro me Peyton might consider re- negotiating the bonus given Irsey's honor in paying him for this last year.

Mr. Irsay paid Peyton $26.4MM cash last season to PM, while PM did not play one down.

We shall see what value this gesture has on the outcome of the discussions PM will have with Mr. Irsay, when the results of those discussions are announced.

Irsay shouldn't be considered the "heavy" any more than Peyton. It's a business decision and sometimes those aren't popular.

Irsay is now and will continue to be a grat owner, one of the three or four best in the game. Peyton's legacy is set in stone, he'll always be the GOAT QB Indy ever had, no matter what happens next.

Anyone see now La Canfora is changing his story towards Peyton's contract? I bet you if the Colts make a new incentive deal with Peyton, Jason will come out and say he was right the whole time. Which he wasn't. I dislike this man more and more everyday.

oh now he's saying he will probably offer the Colts a lower deal too? Just tweet back "duh" to him.

So, I don't see the issue. Players end up on IR all of the time and get paid their full salaries. Are people suggesting that Irsay should have cut Peyton during the season?

No, not like that at all. it's like, OK, we'll pay you 26+ mil, now go have another surgery. You can play when you recover, hopefully sooner rather than later. We'll find a way to hold the fort until then. But just in case you don't, let's have an out where we don't have to pay the 28 mil roster bonus early next year while you are still hurt and we can end this potentially heavy, cap busting contract. I really think they thought Peyton would be back before the season ended, and the roster bonus issue would be moot. And we would have at least won enough games to pick mid pack in the draft.

Well guess what...

Well how many years did we pay Bob Sanders and he wasn't playing? Seems about the same to me until the organization finally let him go. I'm thinking it was a whole lot more than 1 year. JMO of course.

No, not like that at all. it's like, OK, we'll pay you 26+ mil, now go have another surgery. You can play when you recover, hopefully sooner rather than later. We'll find a way to hold the fort until then. But just in case you don't, let's have an out where we don't have to pay the 28 mil roster bonus early next year while you are still hurt and we can end this potentially heavy, cap busting contract. I really think they thought Peyton would be back before the season ended, and the roster bonus issue would be moot. And we would have at least won enough games to pick mid pack in the draft.

Well guess what...

I really think that at the time it was signed they though that the worst that would happen would be first 6 weeks on PUP while they waited for nerve regeneration. I don't think they thought the fusion was coming.

Well how many years did we pay Bob Sanders and he wasn't playing? Seems about the same to me until the organization finally let him go. I'm thinking it was a whole lot more than 1 year. JMO of course.

Look at it this way, he sat the bench more games than what he actually played in! And for 2 years correct me if im wrong, played around a game or two?

Thanks for that link.

The article says that Sanders was in year 3 of the 5 year $37.5MM deal before being cut. Assuming he was paid the average annual of the 5-year dead for each of the 3 years, that equates to $22.5MM for playing a total of 8 games over 3 years.

In comparison, PM got paid $26.4MM for playing 0 games last year as the first year of his 5-year deal, and is due the option bonus of $28MM by March 8.

I think Mr. Irsay may demand some input from the trainers and coaches that oversee PM's rehab, if not witness for himself that PM is back to expected levels, before paying it.

5 years 37.5 million for Bob Sanders, so its not really comparable to Peytons situation. Simple math says Irsay paid bob $7.5mill a year to sit on the bench, and people were outraged. Peyton got paid $26.4m.....not even in the same ballpark.

Is that base salary, or does that include signing/roster bonuses? (Sorry, didn't read the article.) I remember that Bob's deal was structured in such a way that it did not make much sense to cut him before they did. His base salary was small enough relative to the guaranteed money, that it actually would have increased his cap hit to cut him.

No one(unless it's some individual poster) is making Jim Irsay the "heavy" in this. Actually, both Peyton and Irsay have held quite a professional line given the huge rumors floating every day among so many persons. They've both been very clear that they respect and trust each other. They view each other as family. They have a close relationship and communicate often. They both recognize they will be able to work out this situation to the best for all when they sit down and discuss it.

It's only the media persons that speculate that have created all the controversy.

Football is all about money. With Manning here the next 2 years, he will make the colts their money back 3 fold. Anything Manning will be sought after. Packed games, clothing, merch, colts endorsements. We keep Manning we win. We keep Manning and draft luck, we own the next decade. No decline! Mr. Irsay, Please keep Manning. You can still draft luck and have your Qb for the future. Manning will restructure, Luck will learn from the master, and you will be forever praised for keeping true to a promise. Having Manning finish out his career a colt. Remember, we're not rebuilding- we're reloading. Now let's go hunting!

Anyone see now La Canfora is changing his story towards Peyton's contract? I bet you if the Colts make a new incentive deal with Peyton, Jason will come out and say he was right the whole time. Which he wasn't. I dislike this man more and more everyday.

Him, Schefter and Kravitz

The situations between Sanders and Manning are completely different. Bob got a huge contract, and sat for 3 years, so he was cut. Peyton has been with the team what 13 years? He's already had a couple big contracts, and never missed a game. It only made sense to sign him up for another 5 year contract. You don't cut the GOAT, because he had surgery and was unable to play for a year.

Apples and oranges.

Even if Irsay doesn't keep Manning, keeping him last season made sense. He seemed to believe Manning would play most of the season before it began. It was the healing time and the fact that it took three surgeries that makes people worry. Now it looks to have healed correctly, but with the drafting of Luck, a new front office and a team that appears miles away from a championship he has decided just to start rebuilding now. He is wondering if it worth keep Manning, when he might get injured and be done in the first season and/or probably not have the talent to win a championship until Luck would be a ready QB. Also I bet he didn't expect the Colts to be horrible enough to land the #1 pick and didn't think he would get his next franchise QB this year.

If you consider the number of games the average player misses in a season and still gets paid for......Peyton had enough sick time built up to take the year off and still get paid for it.

You will not find a more intelligent post anywhere on the internet.

The situations between Sanders and Manning are completely different. Bob got a huge contract, and sat for 3 years, so he was cut. Peyton has been with the team what 13 years? He's already had a couple big contracts, and never missed a game. It only made sense to sign him up for another 5 year contract. You don't cut the GOAT, because he had surgery and was unable to play for a year.

Apples and oranges.

I'll agree and disagree with this post. It's actually apples to apples. Both players are game changers to their side of the ball. With Sanders return in 06 our Defense came alive and was actually what carried us to the SB win more than Manning did. In the 08 season when we didn't have Sanders playing we didn't win, would he have been the deciding factor alone (who knows), but like I said he's a game changer. While Sanders was injured more often than Manning ever was, he was still at one point a defensive player of the year. I might be wrong but I think he got his huge contract after that award (which tends to happen anytime anybody wins a major accolade), and then he got hurt again. He missed time and was paid and people were outraged, almost burning torch and pitchfork wielding angry over it. They screamed over and over for him to be let go. But now that because it's Manning everybody thinks $26 mil for last season and $28 mil for this season (which nobody knows if or when he could play this year) is no big deal and that Irsay should just open his wallet up and not think twice about it. I say it's a whole lot easier to tell somebody else how to spend their money. At some point the ROI for Sanders wasn't there and he was let go, will that same point be reached with Manning, who knows. But if Irsay doesn't see fit to pay Manning the money I can totally see his side of the matter, and I won't be outraged that he didn't open up his wallet because Manning played so long without being injured.

Honor had nothing to do with Irsay paying Manning last year. It was called contractual obligation.

I'll agree and disagree with this post. It's actually apples to apples. Both players are game changers to their side of the ball. With Sanders return in 06 our Defense came alive and was actually what carried us to the SB win more than Manning did. In the 08 season when we didn't have Sanders playing we didn't win, would he have been the deciding factor alone (who knows), but like I said he's a game changer. While Sanders was injured more often than Manning ever was, he was still at one point a defensive player of the year. I might be wrong but I think he got his huge contract after that award (which tends to happen anytime anybody wins a major accolade), and then he got hurt again. He missed time and was paid and people were outraged, almost burning torch and pitchfork wielding angry over it. They screamed over and over for him to be let go. But now that because it's Manning everybody thinks $26 mil for last season and $28 mil for this season (which nobody knows if or when he could play this year) is no big deal and that Irsay should just open his wallet up and not think twice about it. I say it's a whole lot easier to tell somebody else how to spend their money. At some point the ROI for Sanders wasn't there and he was let go, will that same point be reached with Manning, who knows. But if Irsay doesn't see fit to pay Manning the money I can totally see his side of the matter, and I won't be outraged that he didn't open up his wallet because Manning played so long without being injured.

Even a healthy Sanders on defense did not have near the same degree of influence that Peyton has/had on the success of the team on the field. When speaking of the Colts organization, Sanders' contributions again were absolutely no comparison with what Peyton did for them.