Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Vs. Roethlisberger

Demon

Hard to say. Big Ben is a tougher QB, harder to bring down. Eli is tough to rattle.

However, Big Ben, because he likes to hold on to the ball a little longer, has more downside than Eli who gets rid of it!!! Big Ben is more high risk high reward while Eli is more average risk high reward. So the edge goes slightly to Eli, IMO.

Besides, I have not seen Big Ben have a season like Eli had, with several 4th qtr. comebacks needed by his team and being delivered as well.

Eli, no question. Eli has really grown since he entered the league. He hasn't always had a top 5 defense backing up him and hasn't always had one of the best running games in the league to back up him. He plays in NY, where the media pressure is huge and fans have been calling for his head twice during his career so far. In my opinion, Roethlisberger is very overrated

Eli. First of all Eli lead game winning drives in both of his Super Bowl wins unlike Big Ben who did lead a game winning drive in one Super Bowl but is also thought that the Steelers won inspite of him.

Also Eli's teams are 2-0 in Super Bowls, Big Ben is 2-1. So he's done something Eli hasn't lost a Super Bowl. I also think if you look at the rest of their careers it's easy to see that Eli has had the better career.

So how do Charger fans feel right now?

They could have have had Brees, Eli, or Big Ben who are now 5-1 in Super Bowls while Rivers has only won one playoff game in his career against a team not named the Colts and has yet to even get to a Super Bowl? Add to that they got stuck with Leaf when we got Peyton they have to hate this. They might have been the only other city beside Boston pulling for the Pats tonight.

I wouldn't call Ben tougher.

Eli Manning has played through some injuries that would have put some guys on IR. Maybe Ben has the Steve Mcnair disease and is a bit fragile. I'll give him credit for sticking it out and playing through pain, but I wouldn't dare say that either of them are tougher than either Manning.

Both have had great a great defense and fairly good weapons on offense.

Who is the better QB?

This is actually a very intelligent thread topic. Due to the fact that people are discussing Eli's legitimacy as an elite QB coming off his second championship. Ben has 2 rings and 3 AFC championships, and as we know, some people can't see past the rings when negotiating who is "better".

Ben has proven that he can play as good as any QB in the league at times, but the consistency isn't equal to what we're seeing with Eli. It's becoming a cliche assessment of Eli, but it's that cold blooded disposition which truly makes him unique. Being "clutch" is one of the most important aspects of pro sports, especially in consideration toward championship games.

Eli and his 'too cool for school' indifference toward pressure takes him over the top in respect to comparison with Benjamin Roethlisberger.

I don't like Ben's tendencies to hold onto the ball too long. He's a master at improvisation and requires a superb O-Line to make such improvisations work. Eli is more faster on his delivery, and therefore more consistent. I prefer Eli.

Both have had great a great defense and fairly good weapons on offense.

Who is the better QB?

Eli, He made amazing passes yesterday 9I still say Manningham was out lol, but a great throw!) Big Ben isnt 1/2 as good as Eli... Eli will be top dog with Rodgers once his big Bro and Brady retire.

Besides, I have not seen Big Ben have a season like Eli had, with several 4th qtr. comebacks needed by his team and being delivered as well.

Big Ben did lead an amazing 4th quarter drive against the Cardinals in the Superbowl. He can come through in clutch time in a high pressure moment, so let's not sell him short.

However, I think Eli has more upside. He is clutch, he is tough, and he can read a defense very well. It would be scary to see what he could do if he had an O line that could give him a few seconds to throw the ball.

However,

There is no question Eli is the better qb. I think he is top 3

I don't know about top 3 I think brady big bro and brews still hold that. He is IMO better than Rodgers though( I really hope his hype dies after this season unless he proves it to be true)

He hasn't always had a top 5 defense backing up him and hasn't always had one of the best running games in the league to back up him.

agree, but the years he doesnt have those things are the years they dont make the playoffs.

i'd take him 7 days a week over ben but all us fans have very short memories. he had 25 INT's a year ago

Eli for sure.. He's really evolved from "Aww shucks" Eli. I think he's a HoF QB while I'm not so sure about Ben. But I still have Peyton, Brady, Rodgers and Bress ahead of him. But he's only what, 31? Sky's the limit for him.

agree, but the years he doesnt have those things are the years they dont make the playoffs.

i'd take him 7 days a week over ben but all us fans have very short memories. he had 25 INT's a year ago

I've been able to watch alot of Giants games, thanks to Sunday ticket. And im not sure if there is a stat out there for this, but in the past 3 years, no question, I have seen more 'fluke' INTs from Eli Manning than I have seen from anyone else. Batted balls, tipped passes, catches and strips etc.

I distinctly remember one game, maybe 2 years ago, against the Vikings, Eli had like 4 picks....One hit his WR in the back of the head, INT....One hit his WR in the chest, bounced into DB's hands, INT...One hits the crossing WR's hands, goes thru, the 2nd WR almost catches it, bobbles it into defenders hand, INT.....If i remember correctly, I think 3 of those 4 were all back-back-back drives, I had never seen anything like it...

I've been able to watch alot of Giants games, thanks to Sunday ticket. And im not sure if there is a stat out there for this, but in the past 3 years, no question, I have seen more 'fluke' INTs from Eli Manning than I have seen from anyone else. Batted balls, tipped passes, catches and strips etc. I distinctly remember one game, maybe 2 years ago, against the Vikings, Eli had like 4 picks....One hit his WR in the back of the head, INT....One hit his WR in the chest, bounced into DB's hands, INT...One hits the crossing WR's hands, goes thru, the 2nd WR almost catches it, bobbles it into defenders hand, INT.....If i remember correctly, I think 3 of those 4 were all back-back-back drives, I had never seen anything like it...

believe me, Eli earned my respect. he's right there with the best of them. i do have to pump the breaks a little when people start saying "top 3" better than this guy and that guy (namely Brady, rodgers, brees, peyton etc), hall of fame........ winning 2 SB's definitely helps him. but short term memories only focus on what happened last night and 2007. his whole body of work still doesnt quite compare to the very very elite....yet. only 2 pro-bowls. some very inconsistent years with high turnover ratios. i agree he can be as good as any in any situation, i'm just saying he hasnt done it as long and as consistently as the top guys....yet

I don't know about top 3 I think brady big bro and brews still hold that. He is IMO better than Rodgers though( I really hope his hype dies after this season unless he proves it to be true)

I would take him over Brady and brees.