Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive players worth keeping

coltsfeva

Gonna be interesting to see who will start defensively for the Colts this year. Langford, Anderson, Davis, E. Jackson, Ridgeway and Geathers could start and I wouldn't be shocked to see Butler return and Green or Melvin starting in the slot. There is something to be said for continuity and even though Green and Jackson looked lost last year, another year of experience could help them improve. Add a guy like Hankins and get  an OLB and shut down corner in the draft and the D could come together. Just seems like people are discounting any players from last year on defense that could have better years if they are healthy and with another year's experience. We don't need 11 new starters on defense.

So it may not be complete defensive rebuild but it is damn close.

I think continuity is way overrated when the talent on that side of the ball was so bad, so old and so un-athletic.  I am guessing there will be at least 7 new starters on defense - NG, 4 LB's, CB and a safety.

Defensive Keepers: 

Davis 

Melvin

^if we get something resembling a pass rush, these 2 will look even better^ 

Butler (I hope we re-sign him) 

Geathers (I hope he doesn't get hurt) 

Green (need 1 more year to make a decision)

E-Jax (I still think he's above average) 

Langford (hope he returns to form) 

Ridgeway (I think he'll turn it up this yr) 

Anderson (hope he gets back to his rookie yr performance) 

McGill (he should've had waaaay more snaps last yr) 

Ayers (good depth) 

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I think continuity is way overrated when the talent on that side of the ball was so bad, so old and so un-athletic.  I am guessing there will be at least 7 new starters on defense - NG, 4 LB's, CB and a safety.

I know the defense was bad last year but remember we started last year with a depleted secondary and some rookies. It may turn out that guys like Green, Ridgeway and Jackson are average at best but it may also be we see a big improvement this year. I honestly don't know. I agree about the NT and CB. I guess where I might differ from some other posters is I think it's possible to drastically improve this defense with one more FA and a good draft. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Gonna be interesting to see who will start defensively for the Colts this year. Langford, Anderson, Davis, E. Jackson, Ridgeway and Geathers could start and I wouldn't be shocked to see Butler return and Green or Melvin starting in the slot. There is something to be said for continuity and even though Green and Jackson looked lost last year, another year of experience could help them improve. Add a guy like Hankins and get  an OLB and shut down corner in the draft and the D could come together. Just seems like people are discounting any players from last year on defense that could have better years if they are healthy and with another year's experience. We don't need 11 new starters on defense.

A very good post a good discussion and an interesting one. Those are exactly the players I would keep and who cares about the rest of them your right on. 

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I know the defense was bad last year but remember we started last year with a depleted secondary and some rookies. It may turn out that guys like Green, Ridgeway and Jackson are average at best but it may also be we see a big improvement this year. I honestly don't know. I agree about the NT and CB. I guess where I might differ from some other posters is I think it's possible to drastically improve this defense with one more FA and a good draft. 

I don't know we can dramatically improve it but definitely improve it. But if Anderson can stay healthy this year I look for a really good year from him and Geathers they could be difference makers. 

22 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Defensive Keepers: 

Davis 

Melvin

^if we get something resembling a pass rush, these 2 will look even better^ 

Butler (I hope we re-sign him) 

Geathers (I hope he doesn't get hurt) 

Green (need 1 more year to make a decision)

E-Jax (I still think he's above average) 

Langford (hope he returns to form) 

Ridgeway (I think he'll turn it up this yr) 

Anderson (hope he gets back to his rookie yr performance) 

McGill (he should've had waaaay more snaps last yr) 

Ayers (good depth) 

Yeah, Ridgeway needs to get much better in coverage. 

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

I don't know we can dramatically improve it but definitely improve it. But if Anderson can stay healthy this year I look for a really good year from him and Geathers they could be difference makers. 

My favorite two Colt defensive players (Davis is in that discussion too btw).  The key is staying healthy as you said.  

I remember the first time E. Jackson stood out on the field last year (to me anyway). He basically took Alex Smith out of the game- Great hit!  I think he has potential, just needs more time.

I am not quite as down as most on the defense, I truly believe it can be a much better unit this year.  

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Jackson was good he is better in DQ Jacksons old role where he isn't asked to cover that guy could be better than a 100 tackle a year guy.

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

My favorite two Colt defensive players (Davis is in that discussion too btw).  The key is staying healthy as you said.  

I remember the first time E. Jackson stood out on the field last year (to me anyway). He basically took Alex Smith out of the game- Great hit!  I think he has potential, just needs more time.

I am not quite as down as most on the defense, I truly believe it can be a much better unit this year.  

his hit in the backfield on Forte in the Jets game was a thing of beauty.

23 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree completely that the defense can improve significantly in a year's time.  I think the talent is already improved over what they had last year.  Throw in another FA and hopefully add some impact playmakers in the draft and it should be (knock on wood) much better.

Of the 3 players you mentioned above, I have the most hope that Ridgeway can turn into a solid player.  If Green can ever translate his athleticism onto the field, they may have something there, but I am not too hopeful.  Jackson to me has reached his ceiling.  

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I'd be willing to give E. Jackson a shot at a starter role based off of what he showed last year.... Maybe we can get an upgrade, but i wouldnt discount him entirely. He played some tough football and made some important plays.

33 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I'd be willing to give E. Jackson a shot at a starter role based off of what he showed last year.... Maybe we can get an upgrade, but i wouldnt discount him entirely. He played some tough football and made some important plays.

The benefit of what Ballard is trying to do is provide a healthy amount of competition everywhere.  Jackson will have the chance to compete for a spot but hopefully we have enough talent that if he is starting it's because he has become a lot better.  He showed signs last year but if we can get Brown and someone like Hodges or Minter, then I am fine with two new starters (assuming they show more promise going into the season).

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Edwin can make plays period. I believe he will blossom with experience. This kid has good potential to be part of a Quality D.
 That doesn`t mean he will be a starter but there is a lot of playing time in a 16 game season for this guy!

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

While he's fast for a big guy, I don't think he should be dropping into coverage.....ever. 

Gotta be thinking he is someone else.
 But i do hope he drops in coverage several times next season. Those type of strategies are part of
surprising the QB and can pay big dividends, correct? Why of course!

I thought Edwin Jackson showed flashes of a guy who could end up being a starter here.

You make it seem like finding a shutdown corner is so easy to find. Vontae Davis is probably the best corner we had since possibly Ray Buchanan over 20 years ago.

We haven't had anyone special since we traded for VD.

We need 5 new starters: NT we need a big block eating run stuffer. Both OLB's and an ILB. The starters on the outside are gone and Morrison needs to be replaced. The back end Adams is gone.  

Looking at the roster of the 5 new starters  3 could be on the roster Sheard Simon and Butler. I think they will see challenges especially at Edge and CB. I expect to see early picks used on those positions. 

The 2 spots we don't have an answer are NT and ILB. We add an early down run stuffing block eating NT in the draft. There are a few I like Big Stevie in the 5tn. 

ILB I am hoping we sign a FA. There is not a lot of day 1 help in the draft. I think it is risky not to bring in a guy. Give me Hodges. We still look in the draft but we aren't married to it. 

I think we should look at McDouglan in FA too. He's a young guy who can play both S spots. The D could be improved this year. If Ballard is committed to that side of the ball in the draft. we could add some much need talent. 

22 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

I thought Edwin Jackson showed flashes of a guy who could end up being a starter here.

You make it seem like finding a shutdown corner is so easy to find. Vontae Davis is probably the best corner we had since possibly Ray Buchanan over 20 years ago.

We haven't had anyone special since we traded for VD.

He hasn't.

On 16/03/2017 at 5:29 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta be thinking he is someone else.
 But i do hope he drops in coverage several times next season. Those type of strategies are part of
surprising the QB and can pay big dividends, correct? Why of course!

Ridgeway is 320lbs, can't see him dropping in to coverage much. 

I think Magitt is gonna turn heads this year..He will be 100% healthy for the first time in years...I like how our defense is looking getting younger , faster, and bigger!! If we get Riddick in 1st, Watt in 2nd, Desmond King in 3rd, Mixon or Kamara in 4th, Sidney Jones in 4th, Tonah Kpassignon in 4th, and TE George Kittle in 5th we will be a top line team next year..If we somehow trade for Malcom Butler and sign Zach Brown watch out New England we are coming for you...

51 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think Magitt is gonna turn heads this year..He will be 100% healthy for the first time in years...I like how our defense is looking getting younger , faster, and bigger!! If we get Riddick in 1st, Watt in 2nd, Desmond King in 3rd, Mixon or Kamara in 4th, Sidney Jones in 4th, Tonah Kpassignon in 4th, and TE George Kittle in 5th we will be a top line team next year..If we somehow trade for Malcom Butler and sign Zach Brown watch out New England we are coming for you...

I don't believe New England is shaking in their boots.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I don't believe New England is shaking in their boots.

Not yet..see if we pull all this off and get to gelling mid-season..I fully expect us to struggle early on with so much turnover ...We could be a dangerous wild card team, although I think we will manage to win the division unless Houston gets Romo and he stays healthy all year...