Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck And His "posse" Have Been Very Quiet.....

John Dee

I am starting to think more and more that some "BIG" decisions have been made for some time now.

Remember Eli and Elway... coming right out and stating "don't draft me" "or else"....

The Luck's have been eerily silent.... I wonder if there have been some behind the scenes "negotiating" going on?

Think about it, if there was ANY chance Manning is back in Indy wouldn't one think that the Luck's may be a little squirrelly about the prospect of sitting for a "few" years?

But they are stone cold quiet. While Peyton and Irsay are jockeying for "image points" When the whole thing goes down so “they” won’t be viewed as the “bad guy”….

I just feel if Manning were a realistic option to return to Indy I would think that the Luck camp would not be happy about sitting for a LONG time.

Am I just silly or what?

They do have the same agent.... Luck and PM....

Personally... I think It's a done deal, Manning out ... and Luck ... Welcome to Indy.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id be fine with starting new with Andrew Luck. The guy is as sure thing as it gets for an NFL prospect. Plus we cant risk 28 million dollars on a guy we dont know will be healthy or not.

Plus we could do so much with the money we save in the long term from releasing Manning like signing big name FAs.

Perhaps the 'Luck Camp' are a bit more mature than the 'Manning Irsay' Camp, and do their contemplating behind closed doors?

There is more than enough drama going on for any one organisation without a 'possible' draft pick adding to it all.

Or maybe he's having a break from it all and is holidaying in the Pacific somwhere!

Id be fine with starting new with Andrew Luck. The guy is as sure thing as it gets for an NFL prospect. Plus we cant risk 28 million dollars on a guy we dont know will be healthy or not.

Plus we could do so much with the money we save in the long term from releasing Manning like signing big name FAs.

I don't like that idea... "big name" FA's anyway.... they rarely pay off. Just draft wisely, and don't overpay DE's 19m for 18 tackles a year... and Indy will be fine.

By the way... I think Indy is "LUCKiest" team in NFL history. Lose the best QB in NFL history to injury, and suck bad enough to land the "biggest QB prospect" since.................... Manning.

Years of bad "LUCK" in Indy and now finally the last decade and looking forward are .... dare I say Lovely looking... :sun:

Yeah, "big" name FA's and healthy players like Wayne or Garcon or Saturday or - from another team - Asomugha (spelling?) who showed they can't lead their teams into playoffs. Yes, you are right, I would always go for these guys instead of the one that has shown multiple times that he can lead us to the playoffs.

Perhaps the 'Luck Camp' are a bit more mature than the 'Manning Irsay' Camp, and do their contemplating behind closed doors?

There is more than enough drama going on for any one organisation without a 'possible' draft pick adding to it all.

Or maybe he's having a break from it all and is holidaying in the Pacific somwhere!

If the decision goes down and Manning is released there is a lot to lose by both parties "if viewed as the bad guy" "public perception is huge" ..

We see it in full effect every day on this board.

I know it's simply business, but some take it very personally .... thus the back and forth from both sides. It's just not as simple as "We love you PM, you are now a FA".. This is a very touchy subject with the "FANatical" fan.

By the way... I think Indy is "LUCKiest" team in NFL history. Lose the best QB in NFL history to injury, and suck bad enough to land the "biggest QB prospect" since.................... Manning.

I agree that the Colts have been blessed with very good fortune. It is not often that a team gets the opportunity to draft once in a generation QB prospects. The Colts have the opportunity to do it 3 times in its history:

Elway

Manning

Luck

The first one got away. The second one led us to 1 championship. I am hoping that if we draft the 3rd one, he will lead us to more.

If the decision goes down and Manning is released there is a lot to lose by both parties "if viewed as the bad guy" "public perception is huge" ..

We see it in full effect every day on this board.

I know it's simply business, but some take it very personally .... thus the back and forth from both sides. It's just not as simple as "We love you PM, you are now a FA".. This is a very touchy subject with the "FANatical" fan.

Tell me about it. I have experienced the full brunt of that.

I agree that the Colts have been blessed with very good fortune. It is not often that a team gets the opportunity to draft once in a generation QB prospects. The Colts have the opportunity to do it 3 times in its history:

Elway

Manning

Luck

The first one got away. The second one led us to 1 championship. I am hoping that if we draft the 3rd one, he will lead us to more.

I am just curious as I am not very familiar with the draft history of QB's but do you think that one, two or three years later it will not be possible to draft a QB who can be very successful with the Colts (no matter if drafted at #1, 10, 18 or 63)? I am not convinced that these "once-in-a-generation" prospects really come up only once each 15 years when I look at all the different QB names that won SB trophies - especially one who can win his 4th SB although drafted only at #199...

And what is Luck supposed to say? I mean, Irsay made it very clear that he will thoroughly go through the process whether Luck or RGIII fits best.

I am just curious as I am not very familiar with the draft history of QB's but do you think that one, two or three years later it will not be possible to draft a QB who can be very successful with the Colts (no matter if drafted at #1, 10, 18 or 63)? I am not convinced that these "once-in-a-generation" prospects really come up only once each 15 years when I look at all the different QB names that won SB trophies - especially one who can win his 4th SB although drafted only at #199...

And what is Luck supposed to say? I mean, Irsay made it very clear that he will thoroughly go through the process whether Luck or RGIII fits best.

Andrew Luck is a big kid.. 6' 4" or so, 230 or so... BUT runs a 4.7 or so 40. Ran a "Pro Style O" at Stanford and RAN for 7 td's and a long run of 58 yards. This is what I LOVE about him, he can really move. I am sick of hearing Herm E and some of these other * who keep singing the "NFL is changing to a mobile QB tune" ... really? Name me one "running" QB who won a SB..... Steve Young. Doug Williams was a drop back passer, and after him... Staubach is closest.

"

stats...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/380470/andrew-luck

I am just impressed with Luck to no end. Put "talent" around him at the the skill positions and ......

Look out.

I don't like that idea... "big name" FA's anyway.... they rarely pay off. Just draft wisely, and don't overpay DE's 19m for 18 tackles a year... and Indy will be fine.

Years of bad "LUCK" in Indy and now finally the last decade and looking forward are .... dare I say Lovely looking... :sun:

Actually, it has been said he's the biggest prospect since Elway.

That means a bigger prospect than manning. If you remember, it wasn't a widely held conclusion that Peyton would be as good as he's been. heck, many experts had leaf above him.

A few (VERY few) have RG3 maybe even or close. I'm not into "one-year" wonders. luck has been touted for a while. its rare a player is considered best of draft for a whole year, let alone at least 2 years.

Also, I doubt that he would sit behind manning for a LONG time. Manning has been in the league for 14 years. How many more productive years IF healthy would we expect?

Then theres the "great regular season QB" but "questionable playoff QB" tag manning has had.

I'm not so sure it will be that much of a decline from manning to luck.

Sure, its speculation, but EVERY player is.

I'd still LOVE to get 2 - 3 years with manning with Luck "in the wings" but it certainly isn't looking good.

And no, i don't buy the 'we can get as good a QB in a couple years at #10, #30, or later rounds". The odds just don't work out that way.

From everything I've heard, Luck isn't a one in a decade QB, he's a once in a franchise type QB. We were just "lucky" enough to have had manning.

We may NEVER get another chance at this caliper of a QB.

Most franchises don't.

Its now a QB driven league. if you get the chance to draft a guy like this, YOU TAKE HIM.

I am starting to think more and more that some "BIG" decisions have been made for some time now.

Remember Eli and Elway... coming right out and stating "don't draft me" "or else"....

The Luck's have been eerily silent.... I wonder if there have been some behind the scenes "negotiating" going on?

Am I just silly or what?

Personally... I think It's a done deal, Manning out ... and Luck ... Welcome to Indy.

--->Irsay just swore on national television that no decision had been made yet. What possible benefit is there for him to lie about it? More to the point, if he is just going to release Peyton anyway, but possible benefit does he get but holding out to the last second? The pleasure of torturing everyone involved, Peyton in particular? I don't think so.

--> Yes, it is a bit silly to conclude that just because Luck isn't acting like an inmature jerk with an attitude problem that something must have been concluded behind the scenes. Perhaps he simply ISN'T an inmature jerk with an attitude problem. That would be a good thing. Not to mention the fact that the draft is MONTHS away.

--> No, they don't have the same agent.

There is a pretty fair probability that Manning with be replaced by Luck, but I don't agree with your theories here at all. This is going to be playing out for a LONG time. We won't have any idea about Peyton until at least March 8th, and there is no reason for Luck to even politely hint anything (much less made a demand for which he has absolutely no leverage what-so-ever) until well after that point.

Yeah, "big" name FA's and healthy players like Wayne or Garcon or Saturday or - from another team - Asomugha (spelling?) who showed they can't lead their teams into playoffs. Yes, you are right, I would always go for these guys instead of the one that has shown multiple times that he can lead us to the playoffs.

So you'd prefer continuing the trend of manning "leading us to the playoffs" then we get beat-up or "one & done" in the playoffs?

We need bigger, better talent. I like to build thru the draft, but some FA help is also needed. Its worked alright for NE and other teams, as long as you don't go crazy with big$. Smart FA pickups are still a good thing to supplement the draft.

Wayne, garcon, etc are fine if you have at least a decent QB. Painter was never that. Neither was Danny O, although he did improve somewhat toward the end of the season. but still not good enough.

--->Irsay just swore on national television that no decision had been made yet. What possible benefit is there for him to lie about it? More to the point, if he is just going to release Peyton anyway, but possible benefit does he get but holding out to the last second? The pleasure of torturing everyone involved, Peyton in particular? I don't think so.

--> Yes, it is a bit silly to conclude that just because Luck isn't acting like an inmature jerk with an attitude problem that something must have been concluded behind the scenes. Perhaps he simply ISN'T an inmature jerk with an attitude problem. That would be a good thing. Not to mention the fact that the draft is MONTHS away.

There is a pretty fair probability that Manning with be replaced by Luck, but I don't agree with your theories here at all. This is going to be playing out for a LONG time. We won't have any idea about Peyton until at least March 8th, and there is no reason for Luck to even politely hint anything (much less made a demand for which he has absolutely no leverage what-so-ever) until well after that point.

huhh? If Luck's father Oliver (former NFL QB, and AD @ WV) had one tid bit of a bad vibe about Indy I guarantee you they would be rocking he boat.

BUT, alas..... it's smooth sailing for the Colts... on the Andrew Luck front.

It's a done deal.

Oh and were Eli Manning and John Elway "immature jerks" for utilizing thier "hand" ????

And if you recall correctly Peyton Manning walked into his Colt "interview" with a "huge" list of Q's HE had for Indy.... and he was satisfied. Don't kid yourself, these players hold the hammer. Not the team owners....

I agree a decision may not have been made on manning yet, but I think that is because irsay is unsure if Peyton's health. I do think Irsay has decided to take Luck. i also think Irsay knows what he will do if and when he better knows the status of manning. I'm sure he's run the scenarios thru his mind. And the more I hear him talk, the more i even think he might have decided to release manning and try to re-sign him in FA.

I think when they talk after the Super bowl and irsay "feels' peyton out, he'll already have the decision made based on their conversation and where it goes.

maybe irsay has also put out feelers to gauge luck's feelings if manning were to be kept. he'd be smart to.

but I agree that you take Luck regardless. And give manning the choice to stay if he's healthy enough whatever that means.

But what do i know.

Oh and just to clarify...

Eli passed on SD and AJ Smith and Norv Turner... EDIT Marty....

And Elway passed on Kush or Dowhower or whoever the heck was struggling with that train wreck....

Smart advice from savy "parents" who know the game.... not spoiled brats, smart businessmen.

Think about it, if there was ANY chance Manning is back in Indy wouldn't one think that the Luck's may be a little squirrelly about the prospect of sitting for a "few" years?

But they are stone cold quiet. While Peyton and Irsay are jockeying for "image points" When the whole thing goes down so “they” won’t be viewed as the “bad guy”….

I just feel if Manning were a realistic option to return to Indy I would think that the Luck camp would not be happy about sitting for a LONG time.

Am I just silly or what?

Luck and Manning don't have the same agent Luck is using his uncle for his agent. That was discussed a while ago.

My assumption is they're probably just more patient than the rest of us here and are waiting for Irsay to make his decision. That or they don't plan on saying anything on the subject. Or any other million possibilities. I personally wouldn't read too much into it.

Also, Luck has a posse?

Two local TV stations are interviewing him tonight (WTHR, WISH)...I think you'll see he's a fairly humble kid and I'd be really surprised if he ever says he will not play here or anything like that. I'm excited about him playing here but like everyone, I'm sad if Peyton is through...at least playing for the Colts. If that is the case, there should be a bronze statue immediately put outside the stadium of him. No delay....

I think your silly, Luck is not an NFL player so why should he get any light when the combine isn't here yet and this is Superbowl week? The decision is not made on peyton yet... just like irsay said fans think the a decision has been made already when it really hasn't.

Peyton could very well stay a colt.

Or Luck doesn't know a thing about what's going on, and he's solely focused on his own preparations.

I don't say this sarcastically, I just feel as though we try way too hard to read into things when there could be nothing there. Maybe we watch too much tv. Shows like The Mentalist and House are bad for us. :-)

Am I just silly or what?

I think your just "silly," your words not mine. You don't have to be a public complainer to get a point across. You can tell someone that you don't want to sit for several years in private.

Luck and Manning don't have the same agent Luck is using his uncle for his agent. That was discussed a while ago.

You are correct. Wil Wilson is Luck's agent, and Tom Condon is Peyton's agent.

They are different agents.

However, both Wilson and Condon are associated with the Wasserman Media Group.

Think of it like Real Estate Agents. Different individual agents, belonging to a larger agency like ReMax.

If I'm luck I don't care if Manning is there or not. I'm going to get paid the same regardless of where I'm at. Might as well get paid the big $ to bench it and work hard on my NFL talents to get that big payday in the future.

Top of the line players want the ball in their hands. Yes there can be a benefit to sitting. Some have had success by doing so. Some have had success by playing from day one, taking the bumps and bruises and the ups and downs and learning from them.

Without being on the field, he might not be in line for that big payday in the future. If Manning returns and is healthy and plays out his contract, we face year having to pay Luck top 10 money to keep him an option, without seeing him in game situations. A lot of if's but stranger things have happened.

If I'm Luck, I want no part of Manning, and I want the ball day one.

If I'm Manning, I want the draft pick used for someone that can contribute(or a package of picks) to the team by being the most expensive backup quarterback in the league that might only be an insurance policy.

I think your silly, Luck is not an NFL player so why should he get any light when the combine isn't here yet and this is Superbowl week? The decision is not made on peyton yet... just like irsay said fans think the a decision has been made already when it really hasn't.

Peyton could very well stay a colt.

Good luck Smitto on trying to get this point across. Some op just don't want to read what is on the home page that Irsay quoted and believe him. This wouldn't have come up again but someone wanted to :stir: and get this started again. This has been discussed many times and then the flaming begins. I for one am just reading what Irsay has just said and taking him for his word. No ifs, ands or buts I will read what Irsay post and let him decide.

Think of it like Real Estate Agents. Different individual agents, belonging to a larger agency like ReMax.

What has that got to do with the price of eggs so to speak. Just like I have a doctor that is with a team my doctor is still my doctor not the team of doctors. So just because anyone is in a group doesn't mean that they don't have their own individual clients and that should not be discussed with the other group members. JMO of course.

I'm pretty certain that Condon had his own agency IMG which was absorbed by CAA, in which he's in charge of their football division.

He is doing an interview with wish tv tonight. Frankly I think he's been quiet because he's smart and he knows he should let the Peyton situation play out before saying anything about the colts.

Your probably correct and that is what I would want and then go from there. Until something is decided there and he is DRAFTED there is not much to say. All points look as though Luck will be the one drafted but that will not be definite until the draft. :sigh:

Top of the line players want the ball in their hands. Yes there can be a benefit to sitting. Some have had success by doing so. Some have had success by playing from day one, taking the bumps and bruises and the ups and downs and learning from them.

Without being on the field, he might not be in line for that big payday in the future. If Manning returns and is healthy and plays out his contract, we face year having to pay Luck top 10 money to keep him an option, without seeing him in game situations. A lot of if's but stranger things have happened.

If I'm Luck, I want no part of Manning, and I want the ball day one.

If I'm Manning, I want the draft pick used for someone that can contribute(or a package of picks) to the team by being the most expensive backup quarterback in the league that might only be an insurance policy.

I see where your coming from, but Luck will get game time experience, it may not be when it really matters but he'll be in there. I also think that regardless of Manning's health we go the route of GB and give Luck the ball when it's his turn. That was the right move to make in GB and I think it's the right move here.