Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Sanjay Lal as WR coach

Everyone

Sanjay has a good reputation from what I have been able to read. The Eagles were after him.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/14/14262988/philadelphia-eagles-interested-in-buffalo-bills-wide-receiver-coach-sanjay-lal-sammy-watkins

Quote from Sammy Watkins is below.

"That's one guy that I don't want to leave," Watkins said. "Probably if he leaves, then I don't know how my mindset will be, honestly. That's a guy that kind of groomed me in to running routes and doing everything the right way -- mental, physical -- and if he leaves, that'll hurt. Because that's a guy that kind of helped this whole (receiver) group form a mentality and shape us to professionals. He gave us the whole script of off the field, on the field, and it's helping this wide receiver group and helping the players."

Here's Lal's bio from Wikipedia....

He's been an NFL coach for nearly 10 years,  most of it as a WR coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanjay_Lal

And here's a very flattering story about his background and journey written by the NY Daily News when Lal was their WR coach.

A really good read:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/new-ny-jets-coach-sanjay-lal-calming-influence-perfect-fit-fractured-receiver-crew-article-1.1144465

3 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Sanjay has a good reputation from what I have been able to read. The Eagles were after him.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/14/14262988/philadelphia-eagles-interested-in-buffalo-bills-wide-receiver-coach-sanjay-lal-sammy-watkins

Quote from Sammy Watkins is below.

That's cool that Watkins didn't want him to go but I remember Suggs saying the same thing about Pagano.

21 minutes ago, azcolt said:

So much for the alleged asst coach hiring freeze and any chance for a new HC. Welcome, GM Jimmy Raye. Have fun counting paper clips while Chuck and Irsay make the decisions.

I don't understand this at all. Irsay is interviewing Chris Ballard today, along with 5 other candidates in the next few days. Why does hiring a WR coach indicate that Jimmy Raye is a shoe in to get the job? Why would Irsay be interviewing high profile GM candidates if his intentions were to just hire within? I'm not seeing the connection.

33 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't understand this at all. Irsay is interviewing Chris Ballard today, along with 5 other candidates in the next few days. Why does hiring a WR coach indicate that Jimmy Raye is a shoe in to get the job? Why would Irsay be interviewing high profile GM candidates if his intentions were to just hire within? I'm not seeing the connection.

Agreed

39 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Why is he insisting that Pagano be the coach and hiring assistants before the GM is even hired? Why would any GM want a job where the owner has already decided the coach you may not want is coming back?  I'm not sure I would want a job where you could see a tug of war over power in the near future between yourself and the coach that the owner just won't get rid of.  

I am not sure I understand so much of the expressed confusion here.  Irsay already confirmed in quite definitive language that Pagano is the Colts coach for 2017.  It would be rather asinine to think that given that fact, that Pagano would not be able to round out HIS coaching staff as he sees fit.

Pags, you're coach for 2017.  Be forewarned, though, you had better do what you need to do to do a better job in 2017, for after that, your performance this coming season speaks.

Also note, Irsay said that he and the new GM will evaluate the entire organization top down during 2017 and then proceed accordingly thereafter.  I just don't see a new GM being concerned about having Pagano and his staff in place for 2017.  I think this actually makes the new GM's role much easier for the year ahead, for there is no needing to immediately start entirely from scratch.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I am not sure I understand so much of the expressed confusion here.  Irsay already confirmed in quite definitive language that Pagano is the Colts coach for 2017.  It would be rather asinine to think that given that fact, that Pagano would not be able to round out HIS coaching staff as he sees fit.

Pags, you're coach for 2017.  Be forewarned, though, you had better do what you need to do to do a better job in 2017, for after that, your performance this coming season speaks.

I get that. But why tie down the next GM with this coach.  Could hurt our chances with some and they may be wondering what the hell is going on that Irsay won't can this guy. This doesn't work , it always ends up badly when you have people that the GM doesn't want forced on them. 

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

QFT

Just now, mahagga73 said:

I get that. But why tie down the next GM with this coach.  Could hurt our chances with some and they may be wondering what the hell is going on that Irsay won't can this guy. 

This list is a veritable Who's Who of GM candidates. These are THE GUYS you want to interview if you have an opening. They all heard Irsay say that Pagano is the coach in 2017, and they all signed on to interview anyways.

If the Pagano situation was a full stop, this list wouldn't be nearly impressive.

I think what it boils down to is that NFL personnel people don't hate the idea of working with Pagano nearly as much as you think they do/should. Especially since Irsay made it clear that Pagano is on notice.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

This list is a veritable Who's Who of GM candidates. These are THE GUYS you want to interview if you have an opening. They all heard Irsay say that Pagano is the coach in 2017, and they all signed on to interview anyways.

If the Pagano situation was a full stop, this list wouldn't be nearly impressive.

I think what it boils down to is that NFL personnel people don't hate the idea of working with Pagano nearly as much as you think they do/should. Especially since Irsay made it clear that Pagano is on notice.

Plus I think it was pretty clear from Irsay's very own words that the new GM would not be married to Pagano beyond 2017.  A year to evaluate things before, if deemed necessary, going wholesale change is a good thing in my book.

Just now, Superman said:

Doesn't mean it's not * backwards.  And you have no idea what they are thinking about Pagano. I bet it's one of if not the first thing they bring up. Irsay basically stripped them of the power to get their own guy in there before they even get in there. What happens if next year is 10-6 , we make the playoffs , but the new GM still wants his own guy and Irsay disagrees . It sets itself up as a potential problem all I'm saying. But it is what it is . 

Just now, mahagga73 said:

Doesn't mean it's not * backwards.  And you have no idea what they are thinking about Pagano. I bet it's one of if not the first thing they bring up. Irsay basically stripped them of the power to get their own guy in there before they even get in there. What happens if next year is 10-6 , we make the playoffs , but the new GM still wants his own guy and Irsay disagrees . It sets itself up as a potential problem all I'm saying. But it is what it is . 

And yet, here they are interviewing, including several guys who declined interviews with other teams this year. I think this isn't as big a deal as people are making it. 

Two years ago, the Colts were 11-5 and made the AFCCG. Irsay only offered Pagano a one year extension. I'm pretty sure that if Pagano doesn't do a bang-up job in 2017, he's gone. Irsay basically said so in his presser, and that's after two weeks of persistent rumors about him trying to replace Pagano.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

And yet, here they are interviewing, including several guys who declined interviews with other teams this year. I think this isn't as big a deal as people are making it. 

Two years ago, the Colts were 11-5 and made the AFCCG. Irsay only offered Pagano a one year extension. I'm pretty sure that if Pagano doesn't do a bang-up job in 2017, he's gone. Irsay basically said so in his presser, and that's after two weeks of persistent rumors about him trying to replace Pagano.

Perhaps it isn't but I just don't see how this guy is going to get better all of a sudden at in-game coaching, team preparation , etc.  But we shall see.

26 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Why is he insisting that Pagano be the coach and hiring assistants before the GM is even hired? Why would any GM want a job where the owner has already decided the coach you may not want is coming back?  I'm not sure I would want a job where you could see a tug of war over power in the near future between yourself and the coach that the owner just won't get rid of.  

I'm not taking anything Irsay says at face value after this last few weeks. From what I've been reading, Ballard is the guy Irsay's most intrigued by, and he said that he wants to bring in his own guy. If he gets hired, I believe that Pagano's gone.

1 hour ago, mahagga73 said:

I get that. But why tie down the next GM with this coach.  Could hurt our chances with some and they may be wondering what the hell is going on that Irsay won't can this guy. This doesn't work , it always ends up badly when you have people that the GM doesn't want forced on them. 

Its a wr coach for heavens sake.

should we fire the hot dog vendors too?

sheesh

47 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm not taking anything Irsay says at face value after this last few weeks. From what I've been reading, Ballard is the guy Irsay's most intrigued by, and he said that he wants to bring in his own guy. If he gets hired, I believe that Pagano's gone.

So why hire assistants ? I'm assuming this guy has told his team he quit . He's not coming unless he's sure he has a job. And without Pagano he probably doesnt. 

54 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Perhaps it isn't but I just don't see how this guy is going to get better all of a sudden at in-game coaching, team preparation , etc.  But we shall see.

I don't expect him to. I think Pagano is as good as he's going to be, and that's not good enough. But if he were to do a much better job moving forward, he wouldn't be the first guy to improve at his job. 

It's also possible that a new front office exposes Pagano to better information, which helps him gameplan and make adjustments more effectively. I'm not counting on it, but it's not impossible for Pagano to get better.

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

So why hire assistants ? I'm assuming this guy has told his team he quit . He's not coming unless he's sure he has a job. And without Pagano he probably doesnt. 

The Bills just switched head coaches, and yesterday, they hired a new receivers coach. I'm thinking Lal was on the way out regardless. 

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

or Rex Ryan i guess with that train of thought.

(oh crap, i did it again, i responded without permission)