Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay working on major front office deal w/ Manning

Steamboat_Shaun

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

weren't we one game away 3 years ago

We only needed to overcome a 28 point halftime deficit at home against the Chiefs after their most important players got injured..Then we marched into Foxborough and lost 45-7, we were so close..

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Tell me all about Vance josephs ability to be a head coach.   And go

I think you possibly have this idea from reading my reply to BOTT that Joseph would've been my top choice. If so nah, he would've been far from it, I'm a Shanhan fan all the way.

But honestly, Vance is a very similar candidate to Chuck IMO. Chuck had the better D sure, but Vance had a lot less to work with.

4 minutes ago, CF4L said:

He probably did but you know what he didn't let it fester like Jimbo did now did he? The optics of this is the problem not that he actually was looking elsewhere.

If all his is true, then the story is that Irsay went after the guy he really wanted, and assuming Pagano stays, the story is that Irsay only wanted that one guy. I'm not going to be a prisoner of the moment and sensationalize what's going on right now. This isn't common, but it's hardly unprecedented.

All that said, it doesn't look good, and it can't make Grigson and Pagano feel good, but I'm not incredibly concerned with their feelings, nor do I care about the headlines. I support Irsay actively looking for ways to improve his staff, and I understand why he's willing to stick with what he has unless he can get what he wants. I'm assuming that's what's happening. 

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We only needed to overcome a 28 point halftime deficit at home against the Chiefs after their most important players got injured..Then we marched into Foxborough and lost 45-7, we were so close..

Are you sure you watch the games??

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Interesting hypothetical though. What if Paul Allen planned to keep Jim L. Mora if he hadn't gotten Carroll lined up?

Not that that really proves a point either way, just an interesting thought.

It was his first year. He took over a 4-12 team and went 5-11. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption. I think he wanted Carroll, and short of getting him, he would have kept Mora.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

If all his is true, then the story is that Irsay went after the guy he really wanted, and assuming Pagano stays, the story is that Irsay only wanted that one guy. I'm not going to be a prisoner of the moment and sensationalize what's going on right now. This isn't common, but it's hardly unprecedented.

All that said, it doesn't look good, and it can't make Grigson and Pagano feel good, but I'm not incredibly concerned with their feelings, nor do I care about the headlines. I support Irsay actively looking for ways to improve his staff, and I understand why he's willing to stick with what he has unless he can get what he wants. I'm assuming that's what's happening. 

This makes sense from Irsay's point of view. I guess I just don't agree with it.

It especially makes sense if you consider that Irsay probably doesn't want to have to pretty much turn over the entire coaching staff after just one year. But I could see him liking Gruden enough to do it if he would've taken the job.

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

But you wouldnt be stupid enough to leave your current job without another lined up.

That analogy breaks down because in that instance you're not dealing with other peoples emotions (or employment). I get your point though. He's hedging his bet's and now this thing officially went KA BLOOIE.

16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

weren't we one game away 3 years ago

You mean the year we beat a Bengals team without A.J. Green in the Wild Card game, a noodle-armed Peyton Manning in the Divisional Round and were then embarrased & exposed by the Pats in a 38 point shellacking in the AFCC?  Yeah...we were really close.  Fool's gold. We haven't been that close since. 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

You mean the year we beat a Bengals team without A.J. Green in the Wild Card game, a noodle-armed Peyton Manning in the Divisional Round and were then embarrased & exposed by the Pats in a 38 point shellacking in the AFCC?  Yeah...we were really close.

Didn't the noodle arm led broncos win the super bowl the following year??

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This makes sense and I get it from Irsay's point of view, I guess I just don't agree with it.

It especially makes sense if you consider that Irsay probably doesn't want to have to pretty much turn over the entire coaching staff after just one year. But he must be a huge Gruden fan and would've been willing to for that.

Most people don't agree with keeping the current staff. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're in the wrong year...

Although same result in foxboro. We beat a beat up Cincy team and an injured Peyton Broncos before getting blown out by NE. That said NE is the class of our conference and we were seriously outclassed and out talented.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Most people don't agree with keeping the current staff. 

Supes are you ok with Chud? I understand why we made him OC when Pep was let go but did we just keep him to try to keep this offense as similar to the Pep offense Luck is comfortable with? I've seen some different wrinkles this year but nothing that makes me happy with where it is headed.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Didn't the noodle arm led broncos win the super bowl the following year??

His arm was freshly noodled that game when we played him.  He didn't even realize his arm was as bad as it was till he got exposed by the Colts that game.  That game let the cat out of the bag. 

Peyton had most of the regular season the following year to rest up for the playoff run...which helped him.  Denver's defense that year didn't hurt either. You know how Peyton makes adjustments to his game over time.  He was one of the best at that.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Doyle is garbage

In this instance the headline wrote it's self, but without getting into if he's garbage or not (and this isn't even exclusively being asked of you) why is this basically the de-facto point people make about any sports (or any) journalist?

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Although same result in foxboro. We beat a beat up Cincy team and an injured Peyton Broncos before getting blown out by NE. That said NE is the class of our conference and we were seriously outclassed and out talented.

That's all fine, but the Pats barely beat a Ravens team with no DBs, and with the help of some gimmick offense. The Colts had beat that Ravens team earlier that season.

I just don't agree with underselling the Colts past accomplishments. The team was on the upward swing. They no longer are, but let's not act like those accomplishments never happened or don't count.

Just now, Shafty138 said:

Article seemed pretty damn reasonable to me.  Irsay has in the court of public opinion, let this grow into a heckuva mess....

Not that many people really care.  It's far from a circus or mess.   He has a coach and gm under contract.  He allegedly tried to upgrade,  it didn't happen.  Big deal

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Supes are you ok with Chud? I understand why we made him OC when Pep was let go but did we just keep him to try to keep this offense as similar to the Pep offense Luck is comfortable with? I've seen some different wrinkles this year but nothing that makes me happy with where it is headed.

Nope. Chud's offense, gameplans and play calling are deficient, IMO, and a big reason the Colts underachieved in 2016. And that's frustrating because he did a pretty good job in 2015 with less favorable circumstances. It's like he just counted on Luck to be Luck and make plays, and didn't do anything to make Luck's job easier. I have major beefs with Chud after last season.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

In this instance the headline wrote it's self, but without getting into if he's garbage or not (and this isn't even exclusively being asked of you) why is this basically the de-facto point people make about any sports (or any) journalist?

For me garbage is holder, doyle and brad wells.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Not that many people really care.  It's far from a circus or mess.   He has a coach and gm under contract.  He allegedly tried to upgrade,  it didn't happen.  Big deal

I agree with that take personally, but I do wonder if it affects Grigson or Pagano at all......  I mean, it's not like either would ever walk away from their contracts, but talk about a slap in the face....

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I agree that people tend to shoot the messenger rather than consider the message, but Doyle has earned his reputation as being a trollish junk stirrer.

Just now, Shafty138 said:

I agree with that take personally, but I do wonder if it affects Grigson or Pagano at all......  I mean, it's not like either would ever walk away from their contracts, but talk about a slap in the face....

It can either make them sulk and pitty themselves,  Or try to prove him wrong.   I wouldn't like my boss actively looking for my replacement.  But I doubt espn would let me know it was happening.  Lol

3 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

I guess you can't count a single playoff win in the Luck era. Why don't we get credit for being the team that exposed just how to exploit the Broncos offense? I stand by the idea that we put a really smart game plan in place to win a defensive game in Denver.

There are already three playoff wins in the Luck era.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Nope. Chud's offense, gameplans and play calling are deficient, IMO, and a big reason the Colts underachieved in 2016. And that's frustrating because he did a pretty good job in 2015 with less favorable circumstances. It's like he just counted on Luck to be Luck and make plays, and didn't do anything to make Luck's job easier. I have major beefs with Chud after last season.

I am by no means a good football mind, futbol coach by trade, but why is this the case with our coordinators? Pep was supposed to put a WC plan but ended up with a similar (in my mind) philosophy with Luck.