Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Of the Colts Players drafted by the Colts that are no longer on the team...

Defjamz26

Only Fleener, Montori Hughes, D'Juon Smith, and Ulrick John are still in the league. And Fleener is the only starter and Hughes and John were only recently put onto active rosters as was Smith. Here's the full breakdown if you're curious:

2012:

-Fleener is on the Saints

-Lavon Brazil played in the AFL and is now a FA

-Chapman hasn't done anything

-Ballard hasn't done anything

-Fugger has done nothing

-Justin Anderson played in the AFL

- Harnish made it to the Vikings PS and then active roster for 1 day in 2014 before being cut. Also was on the Cardinals PS

2013:

-Werner is out of the league after getting cut by the Jags

-Khaled Holmes is out of the league after being waived during the Bears final cuts

-Hughes just got signed to the Giants 53 like 2 weeks ago after being cut by them last season on the PS

-Boyett is currently playing in the CFL and made it to the Broncos PS at one point

-Kerwynn Williams is a FA but spent some time with the Cards

-Justice Cunningham FA who made it onto the Rams active roster for 1 month in 2015 from the PS but was then cut

-Trent Richardson is out of the league after being cut by the Raiders and Ravens before their regular seasons 

-Newsome is in the CFL

-Andrew Jackson is in the IFL

-Ulrick John recently signed with the Cards after being a FA

-D'Joun Smith signed with the Lions on September 30th

-Amarlo Herrera Is a FA but made the Titans and Redskins PS

Also Hugh Thornton is currently on IR but will probably be out of the league by next season. So this shows that not only do the Colts miss, but they miss big as most of the guys aren't even interested in the league. Only 6 total players from the 2012, 2013, and 2014 drafts combined remain with the Colts (Luck, Hilton, Allen, Mewhort, Moncrief, and Thornton). Of the drafted players from 2012-2016 only 2 have made the Pro Bowl (Luck and Hilton).

Also the Colts have drafted one CB in the Grigson era. So when you wonder why we struggled against the Bears, understand that less than a quarter of the Colts draft picks are even in the league, let alone with the team. And with Fleener struggling in NO, no one we have drafted and cut has gone on to do anything in the league. Basically most of our drafts picks have been terrible. I also believe that Grif Whalen spent the most combined time with the team over every other UDFA but I have to double check that.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Only Fleener, Montori Hughes, D'Juon Smith, and Ulrick John are still in the league. And Fleener is the only starter and Hughes and John were only recently put onto active rosters as was Smith. Here's the full breakdown if you're curious:

2012:

-Fugger has done nothing

- Harnish made it to the Vikings PS and then active roster for 1 day in 2014 before being cut. Also was on the Cardinals PS

2013:

-Khaled Holmes is out of the league after being waived during the Bears final cuts

-Hughes just got signed to the Giants 53 like 2 weeks ago after being cut by them last season on the PS

-Boyett is currently playing in the CFL and made it to the Broncos PS at one point

-Justice Cunningham FA who made it onto the Rams active roster for 1 month in 2015 from the PS but was then cut

-Trent Richardson is out of the league after being cut by the Raiders and Ravens before their regular seasons 

-Newsome is in the CFL

Also Hugh Thornton is currently on IR but will probably be out of the league by next season. So this shows that not only do the Colts miss, but they miss big as most of the guys aren't even interested in the league. Only 6 total players from the 2012, 2013, and 2014 drafts combined remain with the Colts (Luck, Hilton, Allen, Mewhort, Moncrief, and Thornton). Of the drafted players from 2012-2016 only 2 have made the Pro Bowl (Luck and Hilton).

Also the Colts have drafted one CB in the Grigson era. So when you wonder why we struggled against the Bears, understand that less than a quarter of the Colts draft picks are even in the league, let alone with the team. And with Fleener struggling in NO, no one we have drafted and cut has gone on to do anything in the league. Basically most of our drafts picks have been terrible. I also believe that Grif Whalen spent the most combined time with the team over every other UDFA but I have to double check that.

do we need a new guy making our picks?

5 minutes ago, FACE REALITY said:

do we need a new guy making our picks?

The argument is usually that his last 2 drafts have been good but a lot of that is still TBD. Dorset doesn't look like he's going to be anything more than a decent #3 which would make him a bust based on where he was taken. David Parry is just barely "average". And although I have high hopes we still don't know what Morrison, Ridgeway, Green, Haeg, and Clark will be. I'd say the Colts need to make a change. While his recent drafts are somewhat encouraging the past is hard to overlook and he's starting to show signs of bad drafting habits. Once Thornton is released the 2013 draft class will officially have been a complete wash. And I already see a couple of the young guys who might not see a second contract. I don't think there's enough good from Grigson to take the wait and see approach. We've been waiting for a run game, OL, and Defense for 5 drafts and haven't gotten any of that. And it's already cost us big time.

This isn't a bad post,  but why in Heaven's name did it have to be posted TODAY?!?

We won.     Isn't that a good thing?

Can't all the negative 2nd guessing wait ONE WHOLE DAY?!?

Is there something wrong with complaining on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday?

Do we really have to complain on a Sunday when we win?

Dear God............       :peek:

47 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

2012:

-Fugger has done nothing

2013:

-Newsome is in the CFL

Dude what are you talking about we are on track for greatness. Did you even watch the game today or any of them this season?? Grigson is the best GM and Pagano is gonna be coach of the year!! 

:sarcasm:

Back in the real world tho we suck balls and this is the exact reason why.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This isn't a bad post,  but why in Heaven's name did it have to be posted TODAY?!?

When your defense plays that bad, you don't deserve to win. This team is completely deficient on that side of the ball, and winning doesn't take away that fact.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The argument is usually that his last 2 drafts have been good but a lot of that is still TBD. Dorset doesn't look like he's going to be anything more than a decent #3 which would make him a bust based on where he was taken. David Parry is just barely "average". And although I have high hopes we still don't know what Morrison, Ridgeway, Green, Haeg, and Clark will be. I'd say the Colts need to make a change. While his recent drafts are somewhat encouraging the past is hard to overlook and he's starting to show signs of bad drafting habits. Once Thornton is released the 2013 draft class will officially have been a complete wash. And I already see a couple of the young guys who might not see a second contract. I don't think there's enough good from Grigson to take the wait and see approach. We've been waiting for a run game, OL, and Defense for 5 drafts and haven't gotten any of that. And it's already cost us big time.

I concur

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Dude what are you talking about we are on track for greatness. Did you even watch the game today or any of them this season?? Grigson is the best GM and Pagano is gonna be coach of the year!! 

:sarcasm:

Back in the real world tho we suck balls and this is the exact reason why.

agree

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

2012:

-Fugger has done nothing

2013:

-Newsome is in the CFL

Hey man, really impressed you took the time to research this to post.  Nice job!

2 hours ago, SkyBane said:

When your defense plays that bad, you don't deserve to win. This team is completely deficient on that side of the ball, and winning doesn't take away that fact.

Our defense did indeed play bad.

That doesn't mean we couldn't talk about it...........     Tomorrow.

Monday and Tuesday are great for complaints.

I'm just stunned by the tidal wave of negative threads on a day we win.

We've been losing at the end and today we win at the end and the complaints not only don't let up,  they increase.

I know about our bad defense.     I was talking about it before the season even started.

10 hours ago, GhostofJohnnyU said:

I think the bottom line if this is that the Colts draft picks have sucked under Grigson.

Can't find fault with that conclusion.

Yup. Since so much of the conversation is about Grigson now, I felt that this had to be pointed out. Some here will say "He hasn't been that bad in the draft" but statistically he's been terrible. I wanted people to realize that it's not that he's drafting guys who aren't working out for the Colts, but he's drafting guys who aren't even in the league meaning these guys are just bad players all around. Not to say that other teams don't have the same issue but the Colts miss way more than they hit.

11 hours ago, fatboy said:

I don't recall Trent a Richardson being drafted by the Colts.

Worse.   Grigson gave a 1st round draft pick for him.  

To be honest, I was Ok with this trade.   I thought maybe Richardson just needed off the Browns.   He was one year removed form being the 3rd pick in the draft.   But I didn't have the resources Grigson had on him. 

While I can appreciate the effort put into the OP I'm not sure it's the best way to evaluate Grigson's drafting? If you took any team and looked at players that were no longer with the team that drafted them I think you'd find a similar pattern. What would be a better comparison is the number of draft picks retained and contributing surely?

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well, be fair, you didn't have to read it or post a reply, so it appears that someone created a post that was irresistible for many to avoid.  

And speaking the truth shouldn't be only at certain times, good or bad.  Usually it is better to try and find a positive if you can after a loss.  This win was probably the least impressive Colt's win since Luck has been here.  Chicago is a really bad team.  Both our wins were over 1-4 teams. And all the problems come back to one reality: We aren't talented enough, especially on Defense, to matter.  That's why we couldn't get to the Super Bowl 2 years ago and why we won't any time soon.  The picks have just been hopeless and now you have the same GM who made not only the lousy picks, but ALSO the lousy FA signings saying that he can't fix the Defense because of Luck's big contract.  That comment is so patently ignorant that I hope minutes later he was called to Irsay's office for a Woodshed visit and came out with a few blisters.  He caused the problem and is blaming Luck getting paid what he deserves? Without him, I bet we wouldn't have won more than 20 games total the past 4 years, maybe less.  

So if you don't support what you consider negative (I just consider it well researched facts and thank the OP for posting it) why boost it by reading it and then replying to it? The answer, you're just as entertained doing that as we are reading it and saying, yup, that pretty much sums it up.  And that is why we come here, for entertainment.  It's the same thing I say when people whine my posts are too long.  Don't read them then.  Problem solved.   

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Well, be fair, you didn't have to read it or post a reply, so it appears that someone created a post that was irresistible for many to avoid.  

And speaking the truth shouldn't be only at certain times, good or bad.  Usually it is better to try and find a positive if you can after a loss.  This win was probably the least impressive Colt's win since Luck has been here.  Chicago is a really bad team.  Both our wins were over 1-4 teams. And all the problems come back to one reality: We aren't talented enough, especially on Defense, to matter.  That's why we couldn't get to the Super Bowl 2 years ago and why we won't any time soon.  The picks have just been hopeless and now you have the same GM who made not only the lousy picks, but ALSO the lousy FA signings saying that he can't fix the Defense because of Luck's big contract.  That comment is so patently ignorant that I hope minutes later he was called to Irsay's office for a Woodshed visit and came out with a few blisters.  He caused the problem and is blaming Luck getting paid what he deserves? Without him, I bet we wouldn't have won more than 20 games total the past 4 years, maybe less.  

So if you don't support what you consider negative (I just consider it well researched facts and thank the OP for posting it) why boost it by reading it and then replying to it? The answer, you're just as entertained doing that as we are reading it and saying, yup, that pretty much sums it up.  And that is why we come here, for entertainment.  It's the same thing I say when people whine my posts are too long.  Don't read them then.  Problem solved.   

You make fair points....

I was highly frustrated yesterday.... 

Watched the game at a sports bar, came home, checked the website and found that all the new thread topics were negative.      All of them.

Not one thread happy with a win.       

I've questioned this fan base in the past,  and yesterday was a great example of why.

At least this thread I thought was fair.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You make fair points....

Watched the game at a sports bar, came home, checked the website and found that all the new thread topics were negative.      All of them.

I've questioned this fan base in the past,  and yesterday was a great example of why.

I had to remind myself that we had actually won the game more than once yesterday. It felt like a loss through and through. I mean seriously 17 points from your kicker and 12 from the rest of the team. Your kicker just outplayed the entire team. There's an issue.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You make fair points....

Hey I am with you on the frustration... when we lose I don't watch or listen sports shows the week after.  I think the solution for you is to create what you say was missing.. the positive post you hoped to find. Then you can be the solution yourself.

We aren't using our guys on defense correctly at all. The defense at least had a pass rush with Manusky. This year there is nothing. We even had pressure up the middle from our defensive line. This season we have absolutely nothing. We're creating turnovers finally so I won't complain about that. Rewatch the game "you" can find it there and watch it on your tube... Can't post link here because I don't want it taken away.

On 10/10/2016 at 11:49 AM, SteelCityColt said:

While I can appreciate the effort put into the OP I'm not sure it's the best way to evaluate Grigson's drafting? If you took any team and looked at players that were no longer with the team that drafted them I think you'd find a similar pattern. What would be a better comparison is the number of draft picks retained and contributing surely?

What we're really looking at is his draft history in a 5 year span on a re-building team so I feel it's a fair evaluation. The Patriots draft terribly too but that's over time and they've won super Bowls so it's somewhat okay when they miss.

But when you have a young QB on a rookie contract with a team in heavy re-build mode, your drafts are more critical. You have to build a base of good young players.