Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is The Viking's Defense This Years Denver D?

WarGhost21

Wow. I am astounded. Most fantasy footballers probably sat the Vikings D this week because of how good Cam Newton is. I did the same. I was nervous. It's obvious now how big of a mistake that was. 8 sacks and 3 interceptions later, the Vikings D isn't just looking good... It's looking historically good. Denver dominated last season largely because of that scary defense of theirs. Nobody wanted to play them because of just how scary they were. Denver won the Super Bowl against Cam and then followed up with the same result week 1 this season. From what I saw, the Vikings not only shut down the explosive Panthers offense, but they did it better than Denver. If Denver was scary, what does that make Minnesota? Terrifying? Bone-Chilling? Petrifying? You can pick any one of these, but one thing's for sure: this Vikings D is legit!

You are not exaggerating much...

They held down Aaron Rodgers and the GB fans spent all week asking what's wrong with Rodgers.

Now Cam gets shut down, too? In Carolina. They were undefeated at home last year..weren't they?

Gotta keep it up.....Denver's been this good for 2 1/2 years..

..but after Cam and Rodgers....who else do they need to show?

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The best ways to beat them is to grind it out, hope their O turns it over, give them the respect on D, and take care of the ball. If you are gonna go cowboy on them, be prepared for some defensive scoring.

Waynes gets grabby. Hilton and Dorsett should be able to exploit him with some stop n go routes. Out and up or In and up routes. Shake Route. Smash Route followed by cutting back towards sideline. Waynes will get grabby if we run pass plays that require sudden quick sharp cuts

I'd also run right at Brian Robinson and make him stop it

11 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Waynes gets grabby. Hilton and Dorsett should be able to exploit him with some stop n go routes. Out and up or In and up routes. Shake Route. Smash Route followed by cutting back towards sideline. Waynes will get grabby if we run pass plays that require sudden quick sharp cuts

I'd also run right at Brian Robinson and make him stop it

Grabby works in the playoffs, regardless of how many illegal contact and PI calls you get against you in the regular season. You just have to pick and choose when you do it. Unless you have an offense that will make you pay for a couple of penalties in a drive by finishing the job with a TD, it is worth it to get the penalties, it seems like. Of course, grabby without talent for the other plays will not work. When a talented DB gets slightly beat, he will grab but most of the plays, he can keep up without getting beat.

2012 Ravens, 2013 Seahawks, 2014 Patriots, 2015 Broncos were all top 3 in illegal contact and/or PI calls during the regular season, all SB champs. Come playoff time, some gray area calls become non-calls. The Vikes are clearly employing that principle based on how the league officiating has been happening. We wondered why Peyton's offenses always fell to the grabby DBs come playoff time, that is why. You combine a "not so great arm with a timing offense" vs grabby DBs in the playoffs, the grabby DBs will throw a lot of things off for a timing offense and win most of the time. If I am Pagano, I am implementing the grabby style more than not. Just my two cents. :) 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

The best ways to beat them is to grind it out, hope their O turns it over, give them the respect on D, and take care of the ball. If you are gonna go cowboy on them, be prepared for some defensive scoring.

Vikes have yet to turn it over on offense. We have one give-away but it was when the defense recovered a fumble and gave it right back (safety Andrew Sendejo fumbled).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake

They are in theory, meaning that they could be the defense that carries their team the farthest but they are not on the same level as last year's Denver D. As good as the Vikings D is, the Broncos were 85 Bears level. The Vikings offense made plays 1 of 3 weeks to. Heck even the Bears had Walter Payton making plays. The Broncos did it all alone all the time. 

@QwizBoy

Hey Q, I thought I would redirect you from that unpleasant thread to this one about the Vikings D. :)

This article is from your team's SB Nation site. It was posted on the Vikings site, the Daily Norseman. Check out the video and tell me what you think.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2016/9/29/13105240/the-film-room-texans-face-an-enormous-challenge-in-vikings-defense

Since I will be going to the game, tell me one player on offense and another on defense that I may not know that has been making an impact for you guys. Thanks.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@QwizBoy

Hey Q, I thought I would redirect you from that unpleasant thread to this one about the Vikings D. :)

This article is from your team's SB Nation site. It was posted on the Vikings site, the Daily Norseman. Check out the video and tell me what you think.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2016/9/29/13105240/the-film-room-texans-face-an-enormous-challenge-in-vikings-defense

Since I will be going to the game, tell me one player on offense and another on defense that I may not know that has been making an impact for you guys. Thanks.

Which one? :P Yeah thanks for drawing my attention to something positive and actually-football-related here. This is the first that I've seen just his bad Cam had it on Sunday. The pass rush is ridiculous! Not to mention Harrison Smith and that secondary out there doing their thing. If anyone still had thoughts about your guys crashing and burning, those should be gone now. I know A.D. can't be replaced, but this team can still make a lot of noise this year. 

As far as the Texans go, if you're looking for unsung heroes, I'd say Ryan Griffin has been a lot more reliable and active in the passing game. Brock can't force it to Hop and Fuller on every single down, and Griffin is on pace to pass up all his other receptions in his previous seasons. Fuller would be a second mention, but I'm sure you've heard about him already lol. On defense, Bouye is the big playmaker in the secondary. And I'm not sure Mercilus gets the attention he deserves either. Hopefully Clowney can step up in JJ's absence and become that monster we all were hoping for. You chose a great game to go to! 

5 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

it seems clear to me marvin lewis has incriminating photos of mike brown

haha  ya think...???     I don't know what the tie is, but he shoulda been gone awhile ago.   I really like Zimmer as a coach, he's doing a great job.