Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nate Irving for Jerrell Freeman, who made that call

jszfunk

Freeman played a good game last night.  And he would for the Colts for about 5 or 6 games a season.  He may become another Jerry Hughes situation (which would be further proof that Grigs is a mediocre GM) or he may show his true colors and play injured a large portion of the year where his effectiveness will be reduced.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think there was a significant cap penalty for cutting DQ

As I remembered his deal , it was pretty much a 2 year deal that he signed in 2014, All but a touch of the guaranteed money was in years 214 and 2015. Here's (below) the breakdown of his contract from over the cap. So.. if you look his 2014 salary was guaranteed. That's 4.5 mill. His 2015 roster bonus of 4.6 was guaranteed .That brings you to 9.1 mill of the 10.1. He had a 1 mil signing bonus. That's 250K per year ... over the 4 year deal. So after 2015 there is 500K left going into the 2016 season. That ( 500K) would be the total cost (cap hit) if he were cut going into the 2016 season. 

Over the cap.....

’Qwell Jackson signed a 4 year, $22 million contract with $10.13 million fully guaranteed with the Indianapolis Colts on March 6, 2014. Jackson received a $1 million signing bonus. Jackson’s 2014 base salary is fully guaranteed and a $4.63 million roster bonus payable in the 2015 League Year is also fully guaranteed. Jackson also had a $500,000 roster bonus due on the 5th day of the League Year in 2017. Base salaries of the contract are $4,500,000(2014), $870,000(2015), $

54 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Freeman played a good game last night.  And he would for the Colts for about 5 or 6 games a season.  He may become another Jerry Hughes situation (which would be further proof that Grigs is a mediocre GM) or he may show his true colors and play injured a large portion of the year where his effectiveness will be reduced.

i do not remember Freeman being too great covering receivers and backs..tight ends at all.  That silly screen pass has killed us for 3 or 4 years.

I will say one thing, he is better than Sio Moore.  IMO.

Just having Jerry Hughes, Jerrell Freeman and Dwight Lowery who are all playing well for their new teams would have made this team a much better one now. Heck, I'd even have Toler, he was at least available and serviceable if you put him in the right situations and him being picked on was a big part of Vontae being good, IMO.

Instead we have RJF, Laron Landry, Thomas, Andre Johnson (and any 1 year wide out like Avery, DHB etc.) like projects that don't seem to work out more often.

Forcing to be reliant on the draft will cut down the swing-and-miss tendencies of Grigson, IMO, thanks to Luck's contract. That will be the singular aspect that will improve this team's future. However, you need coaches that can coach them up if you have more youth.

47 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

i do not remember Freeman being too great covering receivers and backs..tight ends at all.  That silly screen pass has killed us for 3 or 4 years.

I thought he was pretty good in coverage for an inside LB. I mean these guys are going to no doubt get beat as those matches are very tough.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I thought he was pretty good in coverage for an inside LB. I mean these guys are going to no doubt get beat as those matches are very tough.

He really was in the first year.  He seemed so much quicker to the ball.  Last year I saw no flash in his game.

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

I'll say Freeman's not great in coverage, but he's better than any other other LB we have on the roster in coverage. Which isn't saying that much.

14 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I can agree with that.  Ayres did not look bad Sunday.  I guess he is an outside backer.

I totally agree about Ayres! My bro-in-law were talking and I said, who the heck is #56 or whatever his number is, and I had to wait until the camera zoomed in on his name lol. 

11 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I totally agree about Ayres! My bro-in-law were talking and I said, who the heck is #56 or whatever his number is, and I had to wait until the camera zoomed in on his name lol. 

Kind of looks like Daniel Adongo in his uniform.  I knew who it was, but sometimes I caught myself thinking "Is that Adongo?" LOL

17 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I had no clue who 56 was either.  I did not have a roster handy. :)  

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

Not for nothing but I don't think I remember anyone on this forum thinking Freeman wasn't worth 12 mill over 3 years with 6 million guaranteed. Plus only 2 mill after 2016 to eat if he fell flat on his face.Most of us thought the # would be around 5.5 to 6 per year. I also don't think there are too many that thought he wasn't a better ILB than Jackson. Just watching these Colt LBs cover and tackle makes this move really look ridiculous. Oh.. well...

Merged your thread

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

At least we made the right call on which TE to keep!

Not to say we kept the wrong guy, but Fleener not fitting in with the Saints doesn't mean he's a bad player.  Fleener can be a good matchup problem for defenses because of his size.  If Fleener were here, I think he'd be making an impact.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

There's really no way to know how much of an impact Freeman would've had in our first 2 games, there's still a very good chance we'd be 0-2, kind of like last year, and the year before that, when he was still a Colt. Also, the Bears are currently 0-2.

Very true but at least the guy can make a tackle here and there. Plus jackson has been pretty pedestrian and it was not a secrete that he turns 33 on 9-16. Just was making a point that letting Freeman walk for that kind of money considering what we had at ILB , does not look prudent in retrospect . But no doubt this was a tough contract to peg considering Freeman's age and up and down play over his 4 years with Indy . You win some and you lose some , you can't keep them all either. 

13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not to say we kept the wrong guy, but Fleener not fitting in with the Saints doesn't mean he's a bad player.  Fleener can be a good matchup problem for defenses because of his size.  If Fleener were here, I think he'd be making an impact.

While I think Fleener would definitely contribute, I'll take Allen's talent and Doyle's price. Would rather risk Allen getting injured instead of Fleener's lack of blocking ability and terrible hands.

50 minutes ago, bababooey said:

While I think Fleener would definitely contribute, I'll take Allen's talent and Doyle's price. Would rather risk Allen getting injured instead of Fleener's lack of blocking ability and terrible hands.

Agreed.  Doyle's versatility, effort, and price make him a great value