Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nate Irving for Jerrell Freeman, who made that call

jszfunk

Not sure who made that decision, must have had there head stuck some place and not wanting to shell out the cash to keep the defense at somewhat of a respectable level.

Pagano,RG ,combo of both...ugh. I am not gonna say JF would have made a huge difference yesterday, but again who thought Irving was going to be the man to replaced him. Sheeeshhh!!

Freeman recorded 17 tackles Sunday against the Texans

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bears-jerrell-freeman-records-17-tackles-sunday/

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, jszfunk said:

Not sure who made that decision, must have had there head stuck some place and not wanting to shell out the cash to keep the defense at somewhat of a respectable level.

Pagano,RG ,combo of both...ugh. I am not gonna say JF would have made a huge difference yesterday, but again who thought Irving was going to be the man to replaced him. Sheeeshhh!!

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bears-jerrell-freeman-records-17-tackles-sunday/

How do you know that it was Irving for Freeman?

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Me personally I'm one of the few that really didn't want freeman back he had a problem tackling players and he wasn't that good in coverage that's why I was happy when we traded for sio moore he can do both and hopefully morrison catches on fast 

Not sure what you where watching.  Most sources ranking free agents rated his play pretty highly.  His age cost him money, but his play was there. 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Me personally I'm one of the few that really didn't want freeman back he had a problem tackling players and he wasn't that good in coverage that's why I was happy when we traded for sio moore he can do both and hopefully morrison catches on fast 

Boy, I can't agree with you on that. He was a real good open field tackler and he was our best coverage LB

45 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Freeman is not a difference maker but when lined with some average joes like what the Colts and Bears defenses are loaded with then he stands out. Given the options here it looks like it would have been better to keep him

Freeman was worth the money he got from the Bears. Unfortunately I don't think we even made an offer to him.

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

lol I love this forum. Wow 

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

D'Qwell for Freeman you mean. And the answer is former executive of the year Ryan Grigson.

Don't you mean Sio for Freeman?  DQ and Freeman were, health permitting, always on the field together with Irving subbing in, McNary also saw more playing time when Freeman was out.

Now its' Sio and DQ.  I dont' recall seeing Irving much, but I wasn't able to pay super close attention.

3 hours ago, jszfunk said:

Didn't he take JF's spot?  

Hopefully Moore will work out, but even on a bad  unit someone has to make the plays. 

I'm not sure that was the case.  It just as well could have been that they liked all of the other ILBs more than Freeman.  I'm not saying I agree with the Colts, only that it was not a binary choice of Freeman or Irving.

We don't need to over pay old players,  we have to just draft better . Bad drafting is what forces us to plug a hole with aging declining vets. 

Next yr we need to focus 90% on defence next year.  We need to go pass rusher in the first , mlb in the second that can run and cover. then go rb in the 3rd a guy with speed and vision if Ferguson doesn't pan. 

Bottom line we need to get younger we need to move on from any player that's gonna be 33 or older , except Adam 

3 hours ago, jszfunk said:

You didn't watch the game did you?  Of Freeman's tackles, one was for a loss, three were for gains of three yards and all the rest were gains of 5 yards or more.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Freeman on the Colts (when he was healthy he was an impactful LB) but he wasn't healthy all that often and in this game he was not a force.

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Freeman led the NFL last week in tackles with 17. Sio had 13. D'Qwell had 0.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Don't you mean Sio for Freeman?  DQ and Freeman were, health permitting, always on the field together with Irving subbing in, McNary also saw more playing time when Freeman was out.

Now its' Sio and DQ.  I dont' recall seeing Irving much, but I wasn't able to pay super close attention.

No I mean, they chose not to cut D'Qwell over re-signing Freeman. Freeman is making less than Jackson this season. 

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You didn't watch the game did you?  Of Freeman's tackles, one was for a loss, three were for gains of three yards and all the rest were gains of 5 yards or more.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Freeman on the Colts (when he was healthy he was an impactful LB) but he wasn't healthy all that often and in this game he was not a force.

Did you?

Only Tampa Bay’s Kwon Alexander recorded more stops than Freeman’s eight on Sunday. Where the former Colt really shined, though, was in coverage. Freeman may have been responsible for coverage on five catches against the Texans, but those five plays went for a total of 15 yards.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-free-agent-additions-already-making-an-impact/

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yes, thanks for asking.  Unlike some, I don't bash PFF when they disagree with me and quote them when they do.  I bash PFF all the time, so you'll forgive me (I guess I don't really care if you do or don't) if I don't take this link as gospel.

He was not an impact player in the game... he was solid.

34 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Smh maybe before when DQ came

My only problem with Freeman was that he seemed to get hung up in traffic or had trouble if he an OL got to him.. He was a bit small but my opinion is that he was a good tackler and IDK what you are shaking your head on but he was a much better cover guy than DQ.

22 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

My only problem with Freeman was that he seemed to get hung up in traffic or had trouble if he an OL got to him.. He was a bit small but my opinion is that he was a good tackler and IDK what you are shaking your head on but he was a much better cover guy than DQ.

Being better than DQ in coverage isn't saying much lol but like I said with sio moore and if morrison does good faster than expected then we'll have a nice pair of linebackers

As soon as Dqwell starts to play like we know he can we won't be having these kind of threads popping up all the time.  Should see that this game.

Ya'll know they weren't getting rid of Dqwell.  It was either going to be Dqwell and Jerrell, or Dqwell and Sio.  I'll take Sio because he strikes harder than Jerrell and he plays with Anger and I love that.  As long as he's healthy I ain't trippin.

Now Mcnary I could do without that guy!

7 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You didn't see Irving because he is not on the team.

I didn't like the decision to not re-sign Freeman, but I heard the Colts tried.  They made him an offer, he said no because he felt it was too low, he hit the open market and found few takers, so he took a contract with Chicago for fairly cheap.  It sucks that he didn't re-sign with us, but my understanding is that the Colts tried to re-sign him

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, thanks for asking.  Unlike some, I don't bash PFF when they disagree with me and quote them when they do.  I bash PFF all the time, so you'll forgive me (I guess I don't really care if you do or don't) if I don't take this link as gospel.

He was not an impact player in the game... he was solid.

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I watched the game. Those numbers don't tell the whole story. Even a few of those longer ones were drop offs to the RB and TE that he stopped them before the first down markers on third down. Also he was cleaning up other guys messes too. I know the 17 makes it seem like he was lights out Ray Lewis style and he wasn't but he really did play a pretty good game. I know it would have been nice if our LBs would have slowed down their RBs even a little. Jerrell isn't a great LB...but over the past few years he has been by far our best LB against the pass...we always looked horrible when he was out. I don't think he was our savior but he could definitely come in in sub packages and help this team better than what we were doing the other day. He is getting paid back up money to start for the Bears. I don't think he is the LB of our future but I think he would have made a nice rotational player for us. Water under the bridge now but I am sure had he played Sunday our defense would have been better....would we still not have problems...of course not...but he was better than what we put out on the field.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I didn't like the decision to not re-sign Freeman, but I heard the Colts tried.  They made him an offer, he said no because he felt it was too low, he hit the open market and found few takers, so he took a contract with Chicago for fairly cheap.  It sucks that he didn't re-sign with us, but my understanding is that the Colts tried to re-sign him

I feel sorry for anybody that signs with the Bears outside of premier LBs like Singletary or Urlacher or the overpaid franchise QB in Cutler since that franchise is so dirt cheap & not a well oiled machine at all. 

I liked Freeman, but losing him didn't make me angry or anything like that. That club was so stingy even when Dave Wannstedt was their HC. Just sad. The Bears used to go to OTA's at a tiny Midwestern university UW-Platteville years ago & all the players hated it because they found the entertainment options severely lacking in their estimation. This isn't Miami fellas. haha Night life & gentlemen's clubs are not in abundance in WI. Just saying.