Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All things Frank Gore (Merge)

bap1331

Anybody notice his frustration? Looked very angry yesterday that he didnt really get to get the running game going. Not sure this is the team for Gore, our running oline is not good enough to open holes for him. Hes a power rb so hes not as fast. Honestly i think we just really need really fast runningbacks like Abdullah or Sproles to get into the hole as fast as possible with the oline deteriorating for run block. The problem with Sproles and Dullah is that they cannot block.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting to the line "fast" doesn't give you a running game...if you have no  holes you just have a running back running into a line.  

Running between the tackles requires timing between the blockers and back.  The back needs to know where and when the holes is going to open, and then he needs to accelerate through hole.  Gore is perhaps one of the best ever at exploiting holes in this manner.  

That said, there has to be timing between line and runner.  That's doesn't happen overnight.   Practice some patience.  Gore and the line will get it down.  They started to as the game went on.

i thought I saw the frustration the very first (or was it the second?) series.  Yeah, him be no happy camper at this point.  I believe he made a statement last year to the effect "what can I do?  I'm under contract" or something like that?  This isn't what he bargained for, unfortunately.

I hope that we get it together.  He's a really good RB that is a shame to waste.

15 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I Recall last season he was * off and frustrated that we blew at run blocking. It's not out of the realm of possibility to think he's still salty considering our runblocking was bad the other day lol 

I think Gore would be fine if the Colts had won.

Winning.                Cures.          EVERYTHING!

RU watching Todd Gurley against the 49ers?  He's got what...2.5 ypc?  He's old.  He's slow. He's lost it.  The rams should be looking for someone like abdullah or sproles to replace him. (See how non-sensical that sounds?  YOu don't judge a player off of 14 plays, particularly in the first game of the season.)

1 minute ago, A8bil said:

RU watching Todd Gurley against the 49ers?  He's got what...2.5 ypc?  He's old.  He's slow. He's lost it.  The rams should be looking for someone like abdullah or sproles to replace him. (See how non-sensical that sounds?  YOu don't judge a player off of 14 plays, particularly in the first game of the season.)

Whats nonsensical is your comparison, m8e

The way I see it, Gore ran for 1,000 yards for like 5,000 seasons in a row before coming to Indy.  What was the difference?  He came to Indy!  What other RB has run for 1,000 yards here in the last decade?  Joseph Addai in 2007?  I think the theme is obvious, it's an INDY Colts problem, NOT a Frank Gore problem.

10 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Anybody notice his frustration? Looked very angry yesterday that he didnt really get to get the running game going. Not sure this is the team for Gore, our running oline is not good enough to open holes for him. Hes a power rb so hes not as fast. Honestly i think we just really need really fast runningbacks like Abdullah or Sproles to get into the hole as fast as possible with the oline deteriorating for run block. The problem with Sproles and Dullah is that they cannot block.

Well if he's been frustrated about our line's lack of run blocking, what did he expect?

12 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Whats nonsensical is your comparison, m8e

Only as nonsensical as the OP, and your comment as well, m8e.  I've read your posts all over the message boards.  It's clear, you don't like Gore.  Nor does the OP.  But, your dislike for him doesn't mean he is not a good RB, or the best option the Colts have.  The tired narrative of "he's too old," He's lost a step," yada yada, is just that...a narrative by those who don't like Gore and want someone else.

It is not "nonsensical" to point to guys like AP or Gurley, as they prove that every back has games where they are stuffed, and it has nothing to do with age or ability.  It has to do with defensive game planning, and offensive execution.  A single game's production is proof of nothing, unless you can show where the RB had holes to run and simply could not exploit them.  You can't as to Gore, and nor can his other detractors.

So, why don't you let him have a chance to prove himself behind a healthy and improved offensive line, with a healthy QB?  The coaches seem to think he's the best option...are you some sort guru who thinks you know better than the coaches?  

42 minutes ago, A8bil said:

Only as nonsensical as the OP, and your comment as well, m8e.  I've read your posts all over the message boards.  It's clear, you don't like Gore.  Nor does the OP.  But, your dislike for him doesn't mean he is not a good RB, or the best option the Colts have.  The tired narrative of "he's too old," He's lost a step," yada yada, is just that...a narrative by those who don't like Gore and want someone else.

It is not "nonsensical" to point to guys like AP or Gurley, as they prove that every back has games where they are stuffed, and it has nothing to do with age or ability.  It has to do with defensive game planning, and offensive execution.  A single game's production is proof of nothing, unless you can show where the RB had holes to run and simply could not exploit them.  You can't as to Gore, and nor can his other detractors.

So, why don't you let him have a chance to prove himself behind a healthy and improved offensive line, with a healthy QB?  The coaches seem to think he's the best option...are you some sort guru who thinks you know better than the coaches?  

I've always liked Gore and was happy that we signed him. I guess you really haven't read my posts. What I don't like is when players perform badly or do things to lose us games. Our run blocking sucked, yes. But it has the past 6+ years and we've have more than a few backs that have played better than Gore. Not to mention the crucial fumbles.

I'm sorry that I don't just give everyone on our football team an excuse because our lines blow. I'm a critical fan and a critical person, that's just how I am. There is no narrative when it comes to Gore and only a fool would be unable to see that he's clearly lost a step. A guy like Deangelo Williams is someone who has defied aging. 

It's not just "one game" I'm looking at every game since Gore's arrival. Which is a more than fair sample size imo.  I don't know better than the coaches but at least I did have the sensd to realize that Trent Richardson was a miserable failure from game 3 of his tenure on. Despite a lot of people on this forum giving me crap and using the same tired arguments of "just give him time! he needs to learn the Playbook! Our line sucks!"

Gore was fine week 1. Has he lost a step? Yes and that should be expected at his age but he is still able to get the job done. Do I think he is the best Back on the roster right now given his age and that he has lost a step and isn't quite as quick as used to be? No. I think if Turbin was given more of an opportunity he could be our lead back and an all around back like Gore only with more power and more shiftiness. Gore isn't really one of those Backs that's going to make you miss a lot anymore. He can still lean forward and get you a couple yards every run and blow through a hole if it is there

Make no mistake about it though that the O Line did not run block very well week 1. However I do think Gore missed a couple chances for bigger gains on a couple of his runs

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

Gore was fine week 1. Has he lost a step? Yes and that should be expected at his age but he is still able to get the job done. Do I think he is the best Back on the roster right now given his age and that he has lost a step and isn't quite as quick as used to be? No. I think if Turbin was given more of an opportunity he could be our lead back and an all around back like Gore only with more power and more shiftiness

Make no mistake about it though that the O Line did not run block very well week 1. However I do think missed a couple chances for bigger gains on a couple of his runs

Who? Turbin or Gore

Just now, Gavin said:

Gore. Turbin only had like 1 carry week 1 that I remember

Ok.  Yeah I agree with your statement.  That's the area where I felt like if he had any burst left the yards gained would have been more substantial than what we got.   I think he's about in the same place Edgerrin James was before Polian let him go.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Ok.  Yeah I agree with your statement.  That's the area where I felt like if he had any burst left the yards gained would have been more substantial than what we got.   I think he's about in the same place Edgerrin James was before Polian let him go.

I'd personally like if Turbin was our lead back and Gore spelled him at this stage in Gores career. Wont happen but I think the team AND Gore would benefit. Pagano wont tell Gore Turbins going to get more carries

10 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I'd personally like if Turbin was our lead back and Gore spelled him at this stage in Gores career. Wont happen but I think the team AND Gore would benefit. Pagano wont tell Gore Turbins going to get more carries

Turbin can handle the work load.  He get's better with more carries just like Gore. He's got burst and a good one cut runner on zone runs.  Not many moves, but he can get lateral quickly.   You're right about Pagano and his affection for Gore.

11 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I think its a real waste of his talents to be honest. Particularly if they were to put him at FB

\

Well....    Turbin IS our fullback.      But, we only need him to play that spot 2-4 times a game,  so it's not a big deal.

Either way,  I think Gore is substantially better than Turbin.      Not even close.      I'd be fine if we played Turbin a little more.       Just not a lot more.        I also really liked Josh Ferguson as a receiving option out of the back-field.      I'd like to us use him a little more as well.

Lots of interesting pieces on offense......

It's been said so much, it's like we're in a digital echo chamber:  The O-line is not good and had a rough start, but things got better as the game developed. 

Let's give it a couple of more starts before we throw the old man down the elevator shaft.

Signed,

Another old man (Colts fan since 1967)

15 hours ago, A8bil said:

We we should sign gurley!

He averaged 4.2 ypc, so I don't see the issue (right now). 

He's not Todd Gurley and he's old.  I really don't care if he's 82 and runs like a turtle.  If he can average 4.2 ypc this season and Luck gets the time to throw like he did in game 1, that lousy OL and the rest of our offense will be top 3.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I've always liked Gore and was happy that we signed him. I guess you really haven't read my posts. What I don't like is when players perform badly or do things to lose us games. Our run blocking sucked, yes. But it has the past 6+ years and we've have more than a few backs that have played better than Gore. Not to mention the crucial fumbles.

I'm sorry that I don't just give everyone on our football team an excuse because our lines blow. I'm a critical fan and a critical person, that's just how I am. There is no narrative when it comes to Gore and only a fool would be unable to see that he's clearly lost a step. A guy like Deangelo Williams is someone who has defied aging. 

It's not just "one game" I'm looking at every game since Gore's arrival. Which is a more than fair sample size imo.  I don't know better than the coaches but at least I did have the sensd to realize that Trent Richardson was a miserable failure from game 3 of his tenure on. Despite a lot of people on this forum giving me crap and using the same tired arguments of "just give him time! he needs to learn the Playbook! Our line sucks!"

Since Addai  no one has rushed for more yards in a season than Gore did last year . 976 rushing & 267 receiving .  With last years O-Line I believe he did better than you might think & according to this link our Colts pass 75 % of the time just a few touches more & it would have been a 1000 yard season .

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/30f43bcd19414e4992fcc0d4a70dde83/colts-running-game-hoping-find-daylight-despite-streaks

6 minutes ago, cbear said:

He averaged 4.2 ypc, so I don't see the issue (right now). 

He's not Todd Gurley and he's old.  I really don't care if he's 82 and runs like a turtle.  If he can average 4.2 ypc this season and Luck gets the time to throw like he did in game 1, that lousy OL and the rest of our offense will be top 3.

3.7 as a Colt  

47 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

3.7 as a Colt  

Sorry, the 4.2 ypc was from the first game.  That's why I don't see why folks are down on him or the Oline right now.  There was improvement everywhere (offensively) in that first game.

2 minutes ago, cbear said:

Sorry, the 4.2 ypc was from the first game.  That's why I don't see why folks are down on him or the Oline right now.  There was improvement everyone (offensively) in that first game.

I agree   Offense improved & considering injuries the defense did better than most expected . 

22 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I agree   Offense improved & considering injuries the defense did better than most expected . 

Speaking about the defense, I was surprised I didn't get trashed when I stood up for the scheme at least in another post!  LOL.  But I saw a lot of promise there as well.  I am anxious to see how this D plays when we get healthy.

8 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

3.7 as a Colt  

Yes, but last year was perfect storm of bad consequences for Gore, the Team and the running game.  Bad line, bad offense, Luck goes down, a series of journeyman QBs...that Gore was able to accomplish what he did is actually amazing.  Trent had perfect circumstances and could not achieve what Gore did in terrible circumstances.  I am excited to see what Gore can do when everything starts to fall into place.

59 minutes ago, A8bil said:

Yes, but last year was perfect storm of bad consequences for Gore, the Team and the running game.  Bad line, bad offense, Luck goes down, a series of journeyman QBs...that Gore was able to accomplish what he did is actually amazing.  Trent had perfect circumstances and could not achieve what Gore did in terrible circumstances.  I am excited to see what Gore can do when everything starts to fall into place.

I agree & look forward to a better outcome as well as long as the o-line does well I expect much better . 

Since Addai  no one has rushed for more yards in a season than Gore did last year . 976 rushing & 267 receiving .  With last years O-Line I believe he did better than you might think & according to this link our Colts pass 75 % of the time just a few touches more & it would have been a 1000 yard season .

I pointed this out in an earlier post to someone saying hes old & lost a step & provided a link . 3 posts before this one I shared because we have had many try but no one has a 1000 yrds with the Colts on a  Luck led team  had Luck played all last season I have no doubt Gore would have .

10 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/30f43bcd19414e4992fcc0d4a70dde83/colts-running-game-hoping-find-daylight-despite-streaks

Yes, I thought Gore had a decent game when you remember how bad our line was last season. 

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Gore's ypc avg went up once we started completing balls downfield.

Preach AZC. Throw the ball successfully downfield early to open up the running lanes as the game progresses. Pagano always wants an infantry attack 1st vs an ariel assault every game, but we need to flip that mindset pronto. 

I don't even care if Luck throws a few picks doing this because we need to gain momentum faster in the 1st half. Hades, the 1st quarter even. We always feel like we're digging our way out of a hole score board wise & it just sucks & gets old real quick to me.