Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You Heard It From His Mouth Directly..

DILLIGAFER

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, a lot of these guys sources are pretty spot on most of the time. A lot of the media got it wrong about Caldwell and now everybody acts as if they have never gotten anything right. Besides that, I don't think it really matters. The Colts have made it clear they are in complete rebuild mode and for people to think that is going to include a 36 yr. old QB with serious health concerns is probably being a little naive.

Then color me naive, but IMHO Peytons back if he wants to play and

Absolutely right - all of it. But like you said, the # 1 pick changes the dynamics of the situation entirely and forces a tough decision out of Irsay.

It does, that's true. But when you combine the fact that Polian publicly said that paying a #1 pick QB with Manning is completely doable, and Irsay has hinted NUMEROUS times that he would like to take Luck and keep Manning, your point becomes moot.

If Peyton is healthy, we will draft Luck (well, presumably so) and keep Manning, gurranteed.

It does, that's true. But when you combine the fact that Polian publicly said that paying a #1 pick QB with Manning is completely doable, and Irsay has hinted NUMEROUS times that he would like to take Luck and keep Manning, your point becomes moot.

If Peyton is healthy, we will draft Luck (well, presumably so) and keep Manning, gurranteed.

Wow - you are the first person that ever told me on here that my point is moot.

You would be wrong but congrats on being the first.

And don't guarantee anything. You have no idea.

I am all for a fresh start for the colts next year...but not without Peyton...this city owes Peyton that much to wait and see where he is at before we decide to write him off.. for Gods sake we are talking about a future hall of famer...QB. Sad to see that we held so many previous colts players (i.e bob sanders) on the rosters for years and they did nothing for us. But PM not only helped usher indy into the spotlight but gave us something to be proud of here in Indianapolis for once. And besides who's to say that as good as Andre Luck is in college that he doesnt come into the league and be a bust then what... OMG this is making my head spin... I say we wait and see where Peyton is on health and go from there... and if Peyton really feels that he wants to stay here... A GREAT INCENTIVE IS TO LET IRSAY KEEP THE 28 MILLION BONUS AND STAY. SO THEY CAN SPEND THAT MONEY ON SOME MUCH NEEDED PLAYERS FOR THE TEAM. (LOL WISHFUL THINKING) DONT GET ME WRONG I THINK ANDRE LUCK IS A GREAT KID BUT I HAVE SEEN QUITE A FEW TOP PICKS TURN INTO AVERAGE JOES IN THE LEAGUE... HOPEFULLY HE WILL BE ALL THAT EVERYONE IS BUILDING HIM UP TO BE... HATE TO GIVE UP A GREAT FOR A MAYBE???

WHO KNOWS... KEEP YOUR HEAD UP PEYTON WE STILL LOVE YOU HERE IN INDY!!!

Money is not an issue, it never has been with Irsay. The thing is, rebuilding with a 36 yr. old QB is ludicrous, and thats what many people are missing. Irsay didn't care about paying Manning his money and if Manning would have been healthy last season, we would not be having this conversation, but Irsay got a reality check this past season and he realized IMO that it was time to move on and start over. Thats why the Polians, Caldwell, and most of the other coaches are in the unemployment line now.

Its not ridiculous at all. When your rebuilding, its good not to do it overnight. Luck would learn alot from Manning just as other rookies will learn from their older counterparts.

Its not ridiculous at all. When your rebuilding, its good not to do it overnight. Luck would learn alot from Manning just as other rookies will learn from their older counterparts.

Well, lets just say I don't agree. If they were just going to use Manning for 1 season to tutor Luck and then move forward with Luck then I might agree, but his option is for 4 more yrs. and I just don't see it happening. IMO I don't think Manning wants anything at all to do with a rebuilding process, he's not going to come out and say it because he's the consummate professional, but if he is given a completely clean bill of health(which I also highly doubt) it would not surprise me at all if he privately asked for his release.

Absolutely right - all of it. But like you said, the # 1 pick changes the dynamics of the situation entirely and forces a tough decision out of Irsay.

I don't think it's that tough of a decision, honestly. I'd draft Luck, keep Manning, try to restructure, and let the chips fall where they may.

The 28 million option is not a 28 million cap hit. How much of it is a cap hit though?

That bonus will be amortized over the contract period of 4 years.($7MM each year) If Peyton decides to retire within the contract period, the remaining unamortized amount will be accelerated. This will be the cap hit for the bonus. On top of that, we have Peyton's escalating salary during the contract years, of which I only know in 2013 it will be $7.5MM and in 2014 it will be $10MM, and they also contribute directly to the cap total.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Jimmy said he didn't have regrets LAST YEAR. If Peyton isn't healthy by the deadline he will NOT be retained and jimmy will release Peyton. I know it sucks but it's what needs to be done. It's a business and I can't invest over 50mill in two years for a player who didn't end up playing. We all want Peyton to stay a colt but it's time to realize our success won't end with Peyton. We are the colts. Go blue

Jimmy said he didn't have regrets LAST YEAR. If Peyton isn't healthy by the deadline he will NOT be retained and jimmy will release Peyton. I know it sucks but it's what needs to be done. It's a business and I can't invest over 50mill in two years for a player who didn't end up playing. We all want Peyton to stay a colt but it's time to realize our success won't end with Peyton. We are the colts. Go blue

No offense, but duh. If peyton isnt healthy, he wont play. In Indy or anywhere else. He will retire.

Some people say cut him, some say keep him. I think we should keep him, but if we have to let him go, why not trade him? Get something out of it. Even though it is andrew luck, I dont feel safe putting the future of my franchise in the hands of a rookie who has never played an NFL game.

Why do Colts fans seem more like Peyton fans than Colts fans? For all you know, a doctor could have already told him he should never play again and he's just ignoring their opinion. Wouldn't you rather have a fresh start with a promising QB than a guy even if 100 percent healthy has only won once in his entire career?

Why do Colts fans seem more like Peyton fans than Colts fans? For all you know, a doctor could have already told him he should never play again and he's just ignoring their opinion. Wouldn't you rather have a fresh start with a promising QB than a guy even if 100 percent healthy has only one once in his entire career?

Because to be a colts fan you are a peyton fan. He is the franchise.

Because to be a colts fan you are a peyton fan. He is the franchise.

Not true at all. I was a Colts fan long long before Peyton and I'll be one after Peyton. Yes I am a fan of Manning, but if the Colts decide its best to move on without him then I will support them fully.

To me, it hints at "I'll pay the $28m."

If he has no regrets about paying the $26m then it shows willingness to pay more.

I don't see that at all. I think Irsay is simply reminding people that he paid the man well knowing he might not even play. Almost as a parting gift if you will for everything he did for the city and for Jim himself. In that sense, i don't think Irsay has a single regret. He rewarded Manning. He said he was going to make him the highest paid player and he did.

Now rewarding him a second time, if his health is still a serious question mark, is something i don't see happening. In fact, it would be dumb to do so.

What do we know?

-Irsay doesn't regret paying a man $26 million who didn't even play, based purely on what he has meant to the Colts, and what he could continue to mean going forward.

-Logically, this means he won't regret paying the man $28 million to come back, if he's healthy.

-Clyde Christensen is the only coordinator that hasn't been canned (yet). I don't think this is a coincidence. Why keep the same offense in place, unless the same QB is returning to run it? Perhaps this has been completely overlooked by those who want Manning dead and gone. I'm not saying this is the reason, but one doesn't go firing every other coach in a 48 hour span to simply 'forget' one. Maybe Clyde will be gone soon enough, or when the new HC takes over. We shall see.

-Manning is a professional, but he's also human. The recent sadness is because every coach he's grown up with, he's become family to, has been pulled out from under him. The GM that built an empire around him has been relieved of duty. He missed a game, and a season, for the first time in his career. He's recovering from a serious health situation. It's a lot to swallow. But let's not forget: this man works harder than anybody. He's a consummate professional. He will move on as he sees fit. He will play as long as he knows he can play. If he plays, it will likely be as THE Indianapolis Colts QB. He should be permitted to do so. Jeff Saturday perhaps knows him better than anyone else, after all...

What do we know?

-Irsay doesn't regret paying a man $26 million who didn't even play, based purely on what he has meant to the Colts, and what he could continue to mean going forward.

-Logically, this means he won't regret paying the man $28 million to come back, if he's healthy.

-Clyde Christensen is the only coordinator that hasn't been canned (yet). I don't think this is a coincidence. Why keep the same offense in place, unless the same QB is returning to run it? Perhaps this has been completely overlooked by those who want Manning dead and gone. I'm not saying this is the reason, but one doesn't go firing every other coach in a 48 hour span to simply 'forget' one. Maybe Clyde will be gone soon enough, or when the new HC takes over. We shall see.

-Manning is a professional, but he's also human. The recent sadness is because every coach he's grown up with, he's become family to, has been pulled out from under him. The GM that built an empire around him has been relieved of duty. He missed a game, and a season, for the first time in his career. He's recovering from a serious health situation. It's a lot to swallow. But let's not forget: this man works harder than anybody. He's a consummate professional. He will move on as he sees fit. He will play as long as he knows he can play. If he plays, it will likely be as THE Indianapolis Colts QB. He should be permitted to do so. Jeff Saturday perhaps knows him better than anyone else, after all...

Perfectly stated.

Irsay said if Peyton is healthy he would remain a Colt. His last visit with the doctors, they said the fusion was 100% complete and that there is no reason why Peyton could not return to his old form. Peyton wants to stay a Colt. It all looks clear to me!!!

There is no guarantee that Luck will be the great QB that everybody thinks. If we let Peyton go, then Luck falls on his face, then what?

Then we'll have to replace him. What if Peyton comes back and isn't what he was and Luck is the next Peyton Manning and we passed on him? Then what? That's why this is such a hard call.

What do we know?

If I might add to this thoughtful post, just think of the weight Peyton feels on his shoulders that HIS absence had a profound effect on a team that went 2-14....and so many of his friends were canned, He feels responsible....and probably a little lost right now. I'll bet he would trade that 26 large to have them all back and another shot with a healthy arm and spine. Just thinkin.........

If I might add to this thoughtful post, just think of the weight Peyton feels on his shoulders that HIS absence had a profound effect on a team that went 2-14....and so many of his friends were canned, He feels responsible....and probably a little lost right now. I'll bet he would trade that 26 large to have them all back and another shot with a healthy arm and spine. Just thinkin.........

I'm guessing he's about as shocked as we all are at all that's changed over the past 4 1/2 months.

Well, lets just say I don't agree. If they were just going to use Manning for 1 season to tutor Luck and then move forward with Luck then I might agree, but his option is for 4 more yrs. and I just don't see it happening. IMO I don't think Manning wants anything at all to do with a rebuilding process, he's not going to come out and say it because he's the consummate professional, but if he is given a completely clean bill of health(which I also highly doubt) it would not surprise me at all if he privately asked for his release.

Mark me down as another one that just doesn't agree with your analysis, insight, opinion, or conclusions. None of them.

This just amazes me how Peyton obsessed Colt fans are. It's called the Indianapolis Colts, not the Indianapolis Mannings. I had a doctor (who isn't even a fan of football) tell me that with Peyton's injury, he shouldn't play another down in his life and any kind of tweeking could mean serious long term consequences for his off the field life.

Are you that desperate for him to win another SB for his legacy?

This just amazes me how Peyton obsessed Colt fans are. It's called the Indianapolis Colts, not the Indianapolis Mannings. I had a doctor (who isn't even a fan of football) tell me that with Peyton's injury, he shouldn't play another down in his life and any kind of tweeking could mean serious long term consequences for his off the field life. Are you that desperate for him to win another SB for his legacy?

Most doctors are conservative in their advice. Because it is always best to plan for the worst. But we also know that sports doctors he has seen, who see this stuff all the time and do make these hard decisions, state that they feel he will be able to play again. In fact many have even stated he will be better than he has been in the recent past.

Manning and the Colts are not going to state he will definitely be back, since there is always that small chance something will not work out in the rehab. On something with this caliber of attention in the media/fanbase, it is best to play it safe and take it a day at a time.

I think anyone who feels he has no chance to return is fooling themselves and will be in for a surprise. Especially if they think he will not be a Colt if he plays.

Mark me down as another one that just doesn't agree with your analysis, insight, opinion, or conclusions. None of them.

Thanks, but I don't really care.

For the record, we'll see who's more accurate. Since its apparent that you believe Manning will be back and competing at usual Manning level.

Irsay has said that money will not be the deciding factor on Manning, rather it's his health.

There are a few obvious scenarios that can play out based on his health.

1. Peyton is healthy and plays next year.

2. Peyton is not healthy and does not play (retires or is released.)

I was just thinking of the following scenario:

Peyton is not healthy enough to play and has not been cleared to play by March 8th, however, he has shown signs of recovery and is almost ready to play. According to the doctors, he would need a few more months of recovery before he can be cleared to play. I think Irsay would pay his bonus and Manning then remains a Colt. Irsay will draft Luck and Luck will play in the preseason games and the first4-5 games of the season until Manning returns. This will provide Luck valuable experience. Manning will have a lot of incentive to work with Luck and teach him. And those opposing the Luck pick will then see this situation as the best of both worlds as he will come in and contribute to the team right away without pushing Manning out.

The only thing to take into consideration is his health, which I fully believe will be up to par come March. I personally think he's at least very close to pre-surgery form, and is going to surpass his athleticism that he had before the surgery.

i think a lot of colt fans want to believe this and keep saying it out loud hoping that makes it come true. but if all were going great and he was on track to a full recovery like everyone wants to believe........ wouldnt irsay do something that put a lot of this Manning stuff to bed once and for all? or at least say something that comforted his fan base? by letting rumors swirl he knows its not a good situation for the organization or manning. and i'm sure he has enough respect for manning to not keep him hanging if there was no need. things like that lead me to believe the scale is tipping to manning not being the colts qb next year

Irsay has said that money will not be the deciding factor on Manning, rather it's his health.

There are a few obvious scenarios that can play out based on his health.

1. Peyton is healthy and plays next year.

2. Peyton is not healthy and does not play (retires or is released.)

I was just thinking of the following scenario:

Peyton is not healthy enough to play and has not been cleared to play by March 8th, however, he has shown signs of recovery and is almost ready to play. According to the doctors, he would need a few more months of recovery before he can be cleared to play. I think Irsay would pay his bonus and Manning then remains a Colt. Irsay will draft Luck and Luck will play in the preseason games and the first4-5 games of the season until Manning returns. This will provide Luck valuable experience. Manning will have a lot of incentive to work with Luck and teach him. And those opposing the Luck pick will then see this situation as the best of both worlds as he will come in and contribute to the team right away without pushing Manning out.

I totally agree. I believe Irsay said Manning probably wouldn't be 100% by the time the evaluation came but as long as the progression of his recovery was promising then he would retain him.

If he feels Manning gives the Colts the best chance to win now, he will be resigned and he'll pick Luck/Griffin for the future.