Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cromartie is a Colt

bababooey

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I didn't think the Colts would sign him. With the injury to Davis I guess it changed what I thought. Hopefully his veteran leadership and what he has left in the tank will be enough to hold the fort down till Davis gets back. It would also help to get a couple more defensive backs back from injury.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

To be honest I didn't think the Colts would sign him. With the injury to Davis I guess it changed what I thought. Hopefully his veteran leadership and what he has left in the tank will be enough to hold the fort down till Davis gets back. It would also help to get a couple more defensive backs back from injury.

I want to see him, Vontae, Adams, and TJ playing at the same time. That could be pretty good.

15 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Eh. You're living off his past glories. He's not that good anymore.

Perhaps.....    but let's see if Pagano's skill with DB's can't bring back some of Cromartie's better days....

It may not be likely,  but I wouldn't rule it out.....

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see this being an Andre Johnson type of thing. I still think he can play and be Above Average to Good. We need help on Defense so it is what it is.

I agree it is what it is but Cromartie is like Johnson. Played awfully last year with the Jets and got released. Has not even sniffed any interest until we were desperate enough to sign him. Nothing we could really do, but I think his play will be similar to Greg Toler and probably worse.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps.....    but let's see if Pagano's sill with DB's can't bring back some of Cromartie's better days....

It may not be likely,  but I wouldn't rule it out.....

I won't rule it out but just because Pagano got Vontae (which was great by the way) doesn't make him a cornerback whisperer. Toler was horrible, Darius Butler had a couple of decent years but he's not anything special, and Pagano still has work to do with players like D'Joun Smith and Tevin Mitchell who may have potential that needs tapped into. Not a 32 year old corner past his prime. 

We really had no other choice, but I am not optimistic in the slightest. Just another reason I'm very down on the Colts this season.

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I won't rule it out but just because Pagano got Vontae (which was great by the way) doesn't make him a cornerback whisperer. Toler was horrible, Darius Butler had a couple of decent years but he's not anything special, and Pagano still has work to do with players like D'Joun Smith and Tevin Mitchell who may have potential that needs tapped into. Not a 32 year old corner past his prime. 

We really had no other choice, but I am not optimistic in the slightest. Just another reason I'm very down on the Colts this season.

So bringing up injuries is one of the reasons your down on the Colts? You can pick and choose what ever negative you care to but saying injuries is one of them in not a very good excuse to be down on them.

12 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I agree it is what it is but Cromartie is like Johnson. Played awfully last year with the Jets and got released. Has not even sniffed any interest until we were desperate enough to sign him. Nothing we could really do, but I think his play will be similar to Greg Toler and probably worse.

Worse? Unlikely. Despite his age and apparent decline in skills, Cromartie has two huge things Toler never had; instincts and ball skills. And those should be mostly unaffected by his age.

As long as he's not matched up on little quick twitch speedsters or trying to jump every route, I think he can still be pretty good in this league. He just needs to realize he's not 24 anymore and adjust his game accordingly.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So bringing up injuries is one of the reasons your down on the Colts? You can pick and choose what ever negative you care to but saying injuries is one of them in not a very good excuse to be down on them.

How is it a bad excuse? Injuries can literally prevent a team from being good. Teams that could have won super bowls didn't because of injury. And it is not just injury. I learned last year that no matter how optimistic people are about the team, it doesn't mean the team will be good. We still have a lot to prove and even when healthy I just don't see the Colts as anything special this year.

3 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Worse? Unlikely. Despite his age and apparent decline in skills, Cromartie has two huge things Toler never had; instincts and ball skills. And those should be mostly unaffected by his age.

As long as he's not matched up on little speedsters or trying to jump every route, I think he can still be pretty solid. 

We shall see I guess. Hopefully we can get a couple of more off of injury to help.

The more I think about this, the more I have a feeling he's going to be a nice surprise. Now lets bring in Keenan Lewis too. Seriously. What could it hurt at Vet Minimum? Unless the staff strongly feels Smith and/or Mitchel or somebody else will be good.

But anyways. Now if everything works out right and Vontae doesn't miss much time (Only a couple games at most), and Cromartie balls out and looks like the Antonio Cromartie from just a couple seasons ago....Then dare I say.... Our secondary could be dang good assuming Green continues to impress and improve, and Adams keeps doing what he's done ever since he's been a Colt. Davis and Cromartie on the outside, with Robinson in the slot COULD be stout......Really stout. Then we'd have great depth in Butler, Smith, and whoever else makes the team if we keep 6 corners. Mitchel, Williams, etc. Then at safety between Mike Adams, Clayton Geathers, and TJ Green we could be really good there as well. I'm really excited about TJ, and I wasn't a fan when we picked him.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like this considering we need any help we can get on Defense. Vontae is injured right now so why not sign him? Cromartie has always been a Good CB

Outstanding....with Vontae hurting...we were querstionable..

Now we have a veteran guy we know can play. 

He;s not great but he's got experience.....this really helps us

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

How is it a bad excuse? Injuries can literally prevent a team from being good. Teams that could have won super bowls didn't because of injury. And it is not just injury. I learned last year that no matter how optimistic people are about the team, it doesn't mean the team will be good. We still have a lot to prove and even when healthy I just don't see the Colts as anything special this year.

How is it a bad excuse? Really? I guess the front office can control injuries. What team that you know of can do that?

5 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

As long as he's not matched up on little speedsters or trying to jump every route, I think he can still be pretty solid. 

Hey I'm just saying he was awful last year with Revis on the other side covering the number one guy. I hope he's solid enough to at least fill in if Vontae misses regular season time.

17 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

worse than Toler.......awful.........wow I think he's bad

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

How is it a bad excuse? Really? I guess the front office can control injuries. What team that you know of can do that?

I never said it was the front offices fault. I just said I never thought the Colts would make the playoffs this year. I just am not as optimistic as I have been other seasons.

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I never said it was the front offices fault. I just said I never thought the Colts would make the playoffs this year. I just am not as optimistic as I have been other seasons.

You said it was another reason you were down on them. I guess I just didn't get what you said.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have Andrew Luck healthy, we will make the Playoffs.

I'm very optimistic.....all 3 receivers healthy.....an early sub for Vontae and later depth

.....our line will be better...

/I just don't want anyone hurt in the final 2 pre-season games

18 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Wow! We REALLY need a pass rush now.......................

Don't even get me started bro LOL.. The way its looking we have the potential........Potential!!! To have a very, very good D-Line and secondary. I think Mathis MIGHT be that beast he was a couple years ago, but that's not a guarantee. But if he is then.......Its just on man. Simple as that. If he balls out and puts up 12-15sacks then yeah. It will absolutely be on. He looked good last year toward the end of the year as he got further removed from the injury and back into form, but him being a beast is no guarantee. I about half way expect it, but again....No guarantee. But I've said this many times and I know I'm going to get blasted for it again, but think about it from a football ONLY perspective for a minute. Greg Hardy could give our defense an element it hasn't had in a couple years. A game wrecking, monster, double digit sack EDGE rusher. I know he's a P0S. That's no doubt. But sometimes IMO you gotta put winning above everything else. I had rather have a team full of "bad guys" and win, than a team full of ''nice guys" and lose. I know its not going to happen, but it would drastically improve our defense, and might even be the difference in winning a playoff game and making a SB run.

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm very optimistic.....all 3 receivers healthy.....an early sub for Vontae and later depth

.....our line will be better...

/I just don't want anyone hurt in the final 2 pre-season games

Assuming Andrew stays healthy along with TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett. We can win a lot of games with our Offense dictating things. I think our O.Line will be better this season as well. I am always GHF though.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Assuming Andrew stays healthy along with TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett. We can win a lot of games with our Offense dictating things. I think our O.Line will be better this season as well. I ma always GHF though.

The running game has to improve.....keep that defense off the field and fresh.

18 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Pessimist is all I read!!! Sorry to say. Seems youve just narrowed your mind to only see and focus on the negative things. Trust me thier are a fair amount of positive things about this team and things to be excited about. You just gotta open your eyes a little more.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Assuming Andrew stays healthy along with TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett. We can win a lot of games with our Offense dictating things. I think our O.Line will be better this season as well. I am always GHF though.

I agree.........we can consistently play with the lead.....

It is assumed that everyone in our division has improved....I want to see that

I always say that playing indoors and in warm weather...with Andrew...and 3 high speed threats....

we can assault teams with an attack they cant handle..as you say....dictate

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I never got the love for Irvin.  His production has never matched his athleticism.

He wasn't used as a pass rusher much in Seattle after his first season, but still ran into 6-7 sacks a year. With us he would have been a OLB, therefor his main focus would be to get after the QB. He was playing OLB in Seattle's 43. I expect him to put up 8-10 sacks this season with Oakland as they'll be using him as an EDGE rusher full time. When he played DE as a rookie he had like 8.5 sacks......As a rookie. Seattle just had Avril and Bennett after that. Leaving Irving to have to play LB.