Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hit reset-Ready for 2016

loudnproudcolt

Found a nice article on the colts on CBS Sportsline. What took me by surprise is it is written by Jason LaCanfora, who rarely has good things to say about the shoe. This time though he actually found praise for the team, and hit on what I think the difference will be this season. Coaching and a different atmosphere. Last year going into the season the hype was off the charts. I thought we would be good, but I like being under the radar. The year started out bad and quickly accelerated to out of control. The stories about Pagano and Grigson. You just knew things were not right. LaCanfora does a nice job citing last year, but showing a new attitude this year, and what the Colts have done to

improve the team. I really like the changes we have made, and to my surprise he really likes the changes also. Let the Jaguars bask in winning the preseason awards. I will

enjoy winning the division. Well worth the read:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-colts-are-relaxed-healthy-and-ready-to-grow-from-the-valley-of-2015/

3 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Good article. But the jags are no joke, they have some serious talent everywhere. More so than the Colts I'd say. 

It always comes down to the QB.  The Texans supposedly were a much better team than the Colts last year.  But without a QB they were only one game better than the QB-less Colts (sorry Matt).

Is Bortles really ready to turn the franchise around?  I'm skeptical.  Plus, a lot of that talent is made up of unproven rookies.  No doubt though, the division is going to be tougher all the way around.

Just now, Smonroe said:

It always comes down to the QB.  The Texans supposedly were a much better team than the Colts last year.  But without a QB they were only one game better than the QB-less Colts (sorry Matt).

Is Bortles really ready to turn the franchise around?  I'm skeptical.  Plus, a lot of that talent is made up of unproven rookies.  No doubt though, the division is going to be tougher all the way around.

Defense is mighty important too though. And they have really good players everywhere.. a couple are rookies, but so is Ryan Kelly and we're expecting him to be a starter day 1. I'm sure the jags are expecting their 3 first rounders to start too. 

And yes it is, all teams improved alot imo.

23 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Found a nice article on the colts on CBS Sportsline. What took me by surprise is it is written by Jason LaCanfora, who rarely has good things to say about the shoe. This time though he actually found praise for the team, and hit on what I think the difference will be this season. Coaching and a different atmosphere. Last year going into the season the hype was off the charts. I thought we would be good, but I like being under the radar. The year started out bad and quickly accelerated to out of control. The stories about Pagano and Grigson. You just knew things were not right. LaCanfora does a nice job citing last year, but showing a new attitude this year, and what the Colts have done to

improve the team. I really like the changes we have made, and to my surprise he really likes the changes also. Let the Jaguars bask in winning the preseason awards. I will

enjoy winning the division. Well worth the read:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-colts-are-relaxed-healthy-and-ready-to-grow-from-the-valley-of-2015/

That was surprisingly a very good read I'v felt that the coaching changes were a huge deal & can't wait to see this years Colts finally take the field .

3 hours ago, 12to13 said:

Good article. But the jags are no joke, they have some serious talent everywhere. More so than the Colts I'd say. 

The Jags o-line is like literally bottom of the barrel though. If the Colts are able to generate even a mediocre pass rush this season, they will wreak havoc on that front. And I don't know what the Jags plan on doing when they play the Texans. JJ Watt & Clowney are going to eat Bortles alive.

7 hours ago, 12to13 said:

For all the talk about their defense, they have yet to prove they have one "game wrecker" on defense.  Although I do agree about their roster being superior to the colts.

The Jags Offensive Line is "offensive".  They didn't do much to fix it.  They are about as bad as the Colts line was last year. Bortles was hit a very high amount of times last year.  We all know what happens when you don't address your O line.  We'll see how they get around that issue.  You can kind of tell the thinking is they want to run the ball a whole lot more this year to keep Blake upright. If that doesn't work then you got a problem.

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

I could see the Jags being winless when our first matchup against them rolls around in October:

And I see a good number of games they'll probably lose after our matchup as well.

•  
    1 Sep 11 1:00PMEDT ) packers.png Packers GAME DAY

•  
    2 Sep 18 4:25PMEDT * AT chargers.png Chargers GAME DAY

•  
    3 Sep 25 1:00PMEDT * ravens.png Ravens GAME DAY

•  
    4 Oct 2 09:30AMEDT * colts.png Colts GAME DAY

I see them going 8-8 but they could start 0-3, they wont beat the Packers and if Rivers is on fire the Jags will lose that one too at SD!

Hurns and Robinson are supposed to be good, but I just haven't gotten there with them yet.  When we play them, nothing really stands out to make me give credit where it's due. Maybe I'm trippin!  Julius Thomas has my respect.  All this noise about Dante Fowler destroying the Jags linemen in camp.  He should be destroying Luke Jokel and the rest of that bunch because they can't block in the first place.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hurns and Robinson are supposed to be good, but I just haven't gotten there with them yet.  When we play them, nothing really stands out to make me give credit where it's due. Maybe I'm trippin!  Julius Thomas has my respect.

Also lets see if Bortles can duplicate last season? I doubt it. Their O.Line still is pretty weak as well. Bortles had a Very Good season statistically and they still only went 5-11.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also lets see if Bortles can duplicate last season? I doubt it. Their O.Line still is pretty weak as well. Bortles had a Very Good season statistically and they still only went 5-11.

You know why?  Because they spent half their time coming from behind.  You're going to throw for a lot of yards when you're behind.   They have improved personnel, but I can't take them serious until the execution improves and the other dumb stuff that puts them behind the 8 ball.  I think they will be better than 5-11, probably somewhere around 7-9 to 8-8. Possibly 6-10 at the worst.  There's other stuff besides good personnel that has to come together before I can say they have arrived.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hurns and Robinson are supposed to be good, but I just haven't gotten there with them yet.  When we play them, nothing really stands out to make me give credit where it's due. Maybe I'm trippin!  Julius Thomas has my respect.  All this noise about Dante Fowler destroying the Jags linemen in camp.  He should be destroying Luke Jokel and the rest of that bunch because they can't block in the first place.

I gotta admit I really like Robinson.  Maybe the best WR in the south.

Just now, krunk said:

You know why?  Because they spent half their time coming from behind.  They have improved personnel, but I can't take them serious until the execution improves and the other dumb stuff that puts them behind the 8 ball.

I think they correct some of their problems and because of improved personnel I do have them a respectable 8-8 but I cant predict anything better than that until they prove something on the field. Some media people think they will win the Division.

9 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I gotta admit I really like Robinson.  Maybe the best WR in the south.

I won't say that either one of them is bad, but I don't leave those games we play against them saying "I just saw T.Y. Hilton or Donte Moncrief".

49 minutes ago, BOTT said:

For all the talk about their defense, they have yet to prove they have one "game wrecker" on defense.  Although I do agree about their roster being superior to the colts.

It's mostly a bunch of solid guys, but nobody like a JJ Watt or somebody else that is unblockable.  I like Malik Jackson, but I mean he's never ruined any of the games we played against them.  I will say he was kind of schooling Jack Mewhort in that game last year for a couple plays though.  I don't think Jacksonville has the same type of pass rushers and other guys around him like Denver did though. I want to see how much that played a part in Malik Jacksons success.  I do like him though.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

It's mostly a bunch of solid guys, but nobody like a JJ Watt or somebody else that is unblockable.  I like Malik Jackson, but I mean he's never ruined any of the games we played against them.  I will say he was kind of schooling Jack Mewhort in that game last year for a couple plays though.  I don't think Jacksonville has the same type of pass rushers and other guys around him like Denver did though. I want to see how much that played a part in Malik Jacksons success.  I do like Jackson though.

IMO Houston's Defense is better if Watt is healthy. I think Houston will be our main competition in the Division if Watt is healthy (I still think Brock is pretty Average but he has his moments) but like I said I can see the Jags being .500 and winning some games they probably shouldn't.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO Houston's Defense is better if Watt is healthy. I think Houston will be our main competition in the Division if Watt is healthy (I still think Brock is pretty Average but he has his moments) but like I said I can see the Jags being .500 and winning some games they probably shouldn't.

I think the Jags are putting some good pieces in place on that defense, but they still have a little bit more addition to do.  Houston on the other hand has a pretty solid group and a good DC in Crennell.  I like some of the additions they made to their skill positions as well as the offensive line with Nick Martin and Jeff Allen.  Also at RB with Lamar Miller and Tyler Ervin to go along with Alfred Blue.  I agree Houston is the main competition.  Jax will be more competitive though.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I think the Jags are putting some good pieces in place on that defense, but they still have a little bit more addition to do.  Houston on the other hand has a pretty solid group and a good DC in Crennell.  I like some of the additions they made to their offense too.  I also think Houston is the main competition.  Jax will be more competitive though.

I agree 100%. I can see all 3 teams being only a game or 2 apart at seasons end. Something like Colts 10-6, Texans 9-7, Jags 8-8. Titans could even win 6 games or so if Mariota has a solid  2nd season.

50 minutes ago, krunk said:

You know why?  Because they spent half their time coming from behind.  You're going to throw for a lot of yards when you're behind.   They have improved personnel, but I can't take them serious until the execution improves and the other dumb stuff that puts them behind the 8 ball.

Hey, that's our M.O!

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I could see the Jags being winless when our first matchup against them rolls around in October:

And I see a good number of games they'll probably lose after our matchup as well.

•  
    1 Sep 11 1:00PMEDT ) packers.png Packers GAME DAY

•  
    2 Sep 18 4:25PMEDT * AT chargers.png Chargers GAME DAY

•  
    3 Sep 25 1:00PMEDT * ravens.png Ravens GAME DAY

•  
    4 Oct 2 09:30AMEDT * colts.png Colts GAME DAY

I was looking at this the other day, that's a tough 4-game run to start the season. The Packers are going to absolutely ROLL them. Like 35-14, guaranteed. Chargers game could go either way, & I think the Ravens beat them. Best case 1-2 going into the London matchup.

17 hours ago, 12to13 said:

I keep hearing this from everyone about the Jaguars and there talent, but the truth is we don't know if they have more talent or not. They are all rookies that everyone is talking about, and the top 3 rookies (I am including Fowler here since he did not play) all have knee problems. We simply don't know how good they will be, but people are bestowing greatness on them already it seems. What is the bust ratio of first rounders. Plus when you pick a lot of people up in Free Agency how does that usually work. The last part I will say about Bortles is his numbers were inflated last year due to being down in most games and defenses playing prevent. With the line they have, and as many sacks as he has taken the last two years, they should have learned from us.

Bortles may have happen to him what Luck endured last year. Look, Jacksonville should be improved, but all this is based on players we have not seen, are young, and we don't know about the chemistry.

As far as Houston, who knows what Osweiller will be. Elway did not think enough to keep him at 18M which does say something, and his numbers last year were OK. I like the Lamar Miller pick up, but Houston is like Jacksonville in a lot of their new players are rookies. Will Fuller is fast, but he drops passes, and is not a great route runner. Braxton Miller is still learning the position, and I can name many players who had a lot of talent who could not make that transition. Plus who knows about JJ Watt. Backs can be really complicated.

I believe the league is better, no doubt about it. I think Tenn. will be improved, but I still believe we are the top team because we have the top player in the AFC South at the most important position. Plus, as I have said, I think the coaching and environment compared to last years are really going to help. I think Luck getting to be on the sidelines for 9 games is going to help him immensely. I look for his best season!

4 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I keep hearing this from everyone about the Jaguars and there talent, but the truth is we don't know if they have more talent or not. They are all rookies that everyone is talking about, and the top 3 rookies (I am including Fowler here since he did not play) all have knee problems. We simply don't know how good they will be, but people are bestowing greatness on them already it seems. What is the bust ratio of first rounders. Plus when you pick a lot of people up in Free Agency how does that usually work. The last part I will say about Bortles is his numbers were inflated last year due to being down in most games and defenses playing prevent. With the line they have, and as many sacks as he has taken the last two years, they should have learned from us.

Bortles may have happen to him what Luck endured last year. Look, Jacksonville should be improved, but all this is based on players we have not seen, are young, and we don't know about the chemistry.

As far as Houston, who knows what Osweiller will be. Elway did not think enough to keep him at 18M which does say something, and his numbers last year were OK. I like the Lamar Miller pick up, but Houston is like Jacksonville in a lot of their new players are rookies. Will Fuller is fast, but he drops passes, and is not a great route runner. Braxton Miller is still learning the position, and I can name many players who had a lot of talent who could not make that transition. Plus who knows about JJ Watt. Backs can be really complicated.

I believe the league is better, no doubt about it. I think Tenn. will be improved, but I still believe we are the top team because we have the top player in the AFC South at the most important position. Plus, as I have said, I think the coaching and environment compared to last years are really going to help. I think Luck getting to be on the sidelines for 9 games is going to help him immensely. I look for his best season!

Anyone with a football brain would talk 1st about the Veterans the Jags picked up.
 This would include on D, Malik Jackson, Amukamara, and Tashaun Gibson.
  On Offense a LT Beachum and a VG running back in Ivory.
  Those Rookies have a lot to learn and are likely to be mediocre for most if not all in their year one!!
The Jags appear to be hurting at LG as Joeckel is not good there either. Gotta figure they will be looking around for a trade.