Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bates as a ILB?

CR91

On 5/6/2016 at 11:11 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Let me ask you this, why isn't Clark going to contribute his rookie year much? Is it because he was drafted in the 3rd round? Is it because of what some draft analysts said about him? Is it some old school thing where rookies have to pay their dues to become starters and can't outshine a player that's been playing longer? Clark is no slouch, he'll likely start on day 1, whether it be at RG or RT (not sure which), and it won't be too hard to earn a starting job based on the goal of drafting the O-Line and the weakness of our O-Line before the draft. That old school mentality that you have to play a year or two before starting or getting playing time doesn't apply nearly as much anymore, especially if you more talented out of the gate than the person you are competing for the job with.

This "not playing rookies because they're rookies" is pure stupidity due to poor coaching. Rookies will make mistakes, but that is how they learn.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Then you obviously haven't watched a lot of pro football.  Because I've seen plenty worse.

And McNary is on the team because he's a good special teams player.  That's pretty obvious at this point.

Ok zibby.  I am so glad you are here to educate us people that are new to football.

d7118037f70b2a1cb97ca69afaa4164f.jpg

It is obvious that Grigson was working on the trenches with this draft. That is telling me he has learned from his past. We can all have different opinions on our personal choices as to who was drafted but when debating turns to arguments it's silly. The picks have been made and no matter what we think, it is over and done. The only thing left is to wait and see how it works out. I can pretty much anticipate exactly what is going to happen. When one of the drafts don't work out we are all going to hear "I told you so" as if I am smarter than Grigson. But it's funny that when a player works out not too many will admit they were wrong. I try not to make any judgments about any drafted player till time has given us answers. The problems the Colts face is pretty much the same problems every NFL faces. The talent level of the NFL has gotten so good it is hard to find players who are as good as the best. It's also easy to point fingers and say someone is stupid or don't know what they are doing because hindsight is used. We all use hindsight in our lives when you think of your past. Ask yourself this, should you lose your job and be called stupid because you made a choice that wasn't the best choice after hindsight was used? Every one of us falls into that category but it's easier to point a finger at anyone but yourself. Being a GM is at best a gamblers job with a lot on the line.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It is obvious that Grigson was working on the trenches with this draft. That is telling me he has learned from his past. We can all have different opinions on our personal choices as to who was drafted but when debating turns to arguments it's silly. The picks have been made and no matter what we think, it is over and done. The only thing left is to wait and see how it works out. I can pretty much anticipate exactly what is going to happen. When one of the drafts don't work out we are all going to hear "I told you so" as if I am smarter than Grigson. But it's funny that when a player works out not too many will admit they were wrong. I try not to make any judgments about any drafted player till time has given us answers. The problems the Colts face is pretty much the same problems every NFL faces. The talent level of the NFL has gotten so good it is hard to find players who are as good as the best. It's also easy to point fingers and say someone is stupid or don't know what they are doing because hindsight is used. We all use hindsight in our lives when you think of your past. Ask yourself this, should you lose your job and be called stupid because you made a choice that wasn't the best choice after hindsight was used? Every one of us falls into that category but it's easier to point a finger at anyone but yourself. Being a GM is at best a gamblers job with a lot on the line.

So you're saying I'd be the perfect GM for the Colts? I appreciate it! :rock:

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2016 at 0:34 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I agree CC1.

On May 6, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Let me ask you this, why isn't Clark going to contribute his rookie year much? Is it because he was drafted in the 3rd round? Is it because of what some draft analysts said about him? Is it some old school thing where rookies have to pay their dues to become starters and can't outshine a player that's been playing longer? Clark is no slouch, he'll likely start on day 1, whether it be at RG or RT (not sure which), and it won't be too hard to earn a starting job based on the goal of drafting the O-Line and the weakness of our O-Line before the draft. That old school mentality that you have to play a year or two before starting or getting playing time doesn't apply nearly as much anymore, especially if you more talented out of the gate than the person you are competing for the job with.

Haeg is better than Clark right now so I don't know how he could be in the discussion to start 

On 5/10/2016 at 0:34 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Speaking of hindsight mine is 20/30

On 5/5/2016 at 6:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not saying the front office is wrong......

But they draft a guy who has played on the edge...  DE/OLB....   he's coming in as an OLB.

And already they're looking down the road to see if they can move him to ILB?!?      How about they look down the road to see if he can play either the strong side or the weak side on the outside.      That's where he's been,  how about staying focused on there.....

He is a 7th round pick from a small, not traditionally strong football school (FCS).  He is a project pick to begin with.  The coaches see him practice/play everyday and have watched far more film on him than I'm sure you (or any of us posters have) -- how about giving the coaching staff some credit and understanding they are professionals and we are fans who post on the internet for a reason?

On 5/5/2016 at 8:54 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The Pats have a history of success.     This front office....  well,  less so.      I'm not ready to give this front office as much benefit of the doubt as others here....

I've been surprised at the number of people citing what the Pats do and looking for a comparison.

When the Colts are nearly as successful as the Patriots then we can make some comparisons....

I've lost a lot of faith in our front office.     I hope they win me back.     I hope they prove my skepticism to be unfounded.     I hope they prove me wrong.     I don't make negative posts hoping to be right.    I honestly hope to be wrong.     Seriously,  I'd much rather be wrong here than right.

This front office certainly hasn't been perfect -- but to their credit, they took a team that was 2-14 (laughing stock of the league) and won 11 games 3 consecutive years .Denver, Seattle, and New England were the only other 3 teams to do the same over that time span -- with Seattle and New England each winning a super bowl, the Broncos losing one and then winning 1 this past year -- you can say we play in a weaker division, if you want -- but we beat Seattle the only time we played them and went 2-1 against Denver during that span.

We also advanced a round further in the playoffs each year.  We were 8-8 last year, playing >1/2 the season without our franchise QB.  We beat the Super Bowl champion Broncos with our QB healthy, and lost a few very close games to other very good teams early in the year.

Say what you want, but I don't think anyone can say it's not darn impressive that the front office took a heap of trash and turned it into one of only 4 teams in the whole NFL to win 11 or more games 3 straight seasons, and that we were on the verge of making the playoffs with a back-up QB and a slew of other injuries last year.

Sure, there is room for improvement (like there is on every team), but this front office has done pretty darn good in the short time they've been in control (for the most part).

30 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

He is a 7th round pick from a small, not traditionally strong football school (FCS).  He is a project pick to begin with.  The coaches see him practice/play everyday and have watched far more film on him than I'm sure you (or any of us posters have) -- how about giving the coaching staff some credit and understanding they are professionals and we are fans who post on the internet for a reason?

This front office certainly hasn't been perfect -- but to their credit, they took a team that was 2-14 (laughing stock of the league) and won 11 games 3 consecutive years .Denver, Seattle, and New England were the only other 3 teams to do the same over that time span -- with Seattle and New England each winning a super bowl, the Broncos losing one and then winning 1 this past year -- you can say we play in a weaker division, if you want -- but we beat Seattle the only time we played them and went 2-1 against Denver during that span.

We also advanced a round further in the playoffs each year.  We were 8-8 last year, playing >1/2 the season without our franchise QB.  We beat the Super Bowl champion Broncos with our QB healthy, and lost a few very close games to other very good teams early in the year.

Say what you want, but I don't think anyone can say it's not darn impressive that the front office took a heap of trash and turned it into one of only 4 teams in the whole NFL to win 11 or more games 3 straight seasons, and that we were on the verge of making the playoffs with a back-up QB and a slew of other injuries last year.

Sure, there is room for improvement (like there is on every team), but this front office has done pretty darn good in the short time they've been in control (for the most part).

I don't know how and why,  but somehow you've managed to miss the fact that there is no poster who has sung the praises of this front office more than I have.     And the posts you just made about what the front office has done over '12 and '13 and '14 and 15,  I've made way too many times to count.      If I had $1 for every time I've made those posts,  I'd be rich enough to retire.

But they've made a huge amount of mistakes and it's added up to where we are now.    Our drafts have way too many mistakes and misses,  as do our free agent signings.     And the reasons we went 11-5 three straight years and went a game further in the playoffs each year were (1)  Andrew Luck and (B)  a weak AFC South schedule.      We have a weak roster for a team going into it's 5th year with this administration.   We are years behind schedule.

All that said.........

I'm expecting this team to win the AFC South this year.     Why?     Because of Chudzinski, Philbin and Schottenhimer on offense and Monachino on defense.    I think we made the right hires.    I think we're moving slowly in the right direction.    But I don't expect the Colts to go far in the playoffs.      There's a limit to my optimism.

I hope I'm wrong.   I hope the team does better than I think.     I'd be happy to be wrong.     

But the odds say this is going to be a difficult year for the team.........  we'll soon find out.

8 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Haeg is better than Clark right now so I don't know how he could be in the discussion to start 

You do realize I wrote that over three months ago, didn't you? On May 5th? Not sure how I'm supposed to know that a week after the draft. Next time, look at things like that before making stupid comments.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You do realize I wrote that over three months ago, didn't you? On May 5th? Not sure how I'm supposed to know that a week after the draft. Next time, look at things like that before making stupid comments.

If you didn't know that a week after the draft you shouldn't have said it then or ever 

Hindsight is always 202/20.  

Pretty sure ire of the two comments. Mine looks less stupid.     In hindsight that is 

don't get your panties in a bunch. 

On 5/5/2016 at 11:40 PM, NewColtsFan said:

You're really going to compare this front office to......   Bill Polian?

Seriously?       I don't think so.........

For me,  this front office has not earned the trust for me to feel confident that they've judged these players where the team has evaluated them.    

As I've been saying in post after post after post after post I hope I'm wrong......    but I fear I'm not.

I'll actually be happy if I'm wrong and the front office is right.    Because the team will be doing well if that's what happens.      Nothing would make me happier if the Colts do well.     I don't want to be a fan of a team that struggles to win --- especially with Andrew Luck as it's QB.

I think what the FO has been missing is "expertise". Experts see things (in players and team fits) that less experienced people can't and don't see (according to research in a publication of the National Academy of Science). That doesn't mean they can't learn. Of course, it doesn't mean they can, either. Time will tell.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know how and why,  but somehow you've managed to miss the fact that there is no poster who has sung the praises of this front office more than I have.     And the posts you just made about what the front office has done over '12 and '13 and '14 and 15,  I've made way too many times to count.      If I had $1 for every time I've made those posts,  I'd be rich enough to retire.

But they've made a huge amount of mistakes and it's added up to where we are now.    Our drafts have way too many mistakes and misses,  as do our free agent signings.     And the reasons we went 11-5 three straight years and went a game further in the playoffs each year were (1)  Andrew Luck and (B)  a weak AFC South schedule.      We have a weak roster for a team going into it's 5th year with this administration.   We are years behind schedule.

All that said.........

I'm expecting this team to win the AFC South this year.     Why?     Because of Chudzinski, Philbin and Schottenhimer on offense and Monachino on defense.    I think we made the right hires.    I think we're moving slowly in the right direction.    But I don't expect the Colts to go far in the playoffs.      There's a limit to my optimism.

I hope I'm wrong.   I hope the team does better than I think.     I'd be happy to be wrong.     

But the odds say this is going to be a difficult year for the team.........  we'll soon find out.

Andrew Luck was acquired by our Front Office (when many were wishing for RG3).  So your reason (1) for us winning 11 games is directly attributable to the FO.

Reason (B) may have some merit -- although the Texans were very good (12-4) in 2012.  Also, you should note that we beat some pretty darn good teams --

in 2012, we beat the following teams who made the playoffs: Vikings, Packers, Texans and lost to the Patriots and Texans -- so we were 3-2 vs. playoff teams (a winning record vs. playoff teams suggests our team could have played with opponents outside the AFC South and still put up a winning record).  We lost in the playoffs to SuperBowl Champion Ravens. 

In 2013, we beat the following playoff teams: Denver (SB loser), Seattle (SB Winner), San Francisco, Kansas City and lost to Cincinatti and San Diego -- a 4-2 record against playoff teams (again, suggesting our team could win over teams not just in the AFC South.   We then won a game in the playoffs before being ousted by NE.

In 2014, we went 2-4 against playoff teams -- this year was the most concerning as we got blown out by NE, Pitt and Dallas (though, we rested some key players and took our team out at half time).  However, we went on and won 2 rounds in the playoffs before getting beat up by eventual Superbowl champ NE in the AFC Championship.

So, overall, during that time frame we were over .500 vs. playoff teams.  We went a round further in the playoffs each year, and we beat some very good teams away from the AFC South.  For a team that was 2-14 and far and away the biggest joke of a roster in the NFL in 2011-2012, that is pretty darn good.  The FO had to come in and essentially clean-house in a 3 year period.  In 2015-16, our franchise QB was hurt the majority of the season and was playing poorly for the most part when he was in the line-up... we still beat the eventual SB champions and came very close to pulling off a victory against the NFC representative Panthers. 

Sure, not every move the FO made has been perfect... but keep in mind, they had to totally overhaul a joke of an NFL team.  The T-Rich trade looks terrible in retrospect, but the move made sense at the time given our injuries and desperate need for an RB.  The other FA signings that haven't panned out have been let go -- they were essentially bodies to fill in while we develop a younger/better roster (Art Jones hasn't panned out, due to injury, and I expect he will be let go like RJF, Landry, etc. if he doesn't start producing soon). 

We have also had many FA moves that have worked out (Kendall Langford, DQwell Jackson, Mike Adams, Donnie Avery, Eric Walden), a trade for Vontae who has been invaluable to this team, and many draft picks that have worked out.  The fact of life in the NFL is that there is no team, not 1, that hits on every FA signing or draft pick. 

If the FO/coaching staff experimenting (or thinking about experimenting) with a 7th round draft pick from University of Maine is what has set you over the tipping point, that is absolutely ludicrous.  The guy was a project pick to begin with, from a small school, and I would bet that not a single fan who posts on this forum has watched the guy play anywhere near as much as our coaching staff (maybe there is a U. Maine fan on here?).  There are many reasons where it may make sense to go off on the FO, but talking about trying to develop a 7th round pick from an FCS school as an ILB instead of an OLB is certainly not one of them.

Once again.....

You're telling me things I already know.

I said the same thing is 2012,  2013 and 2014.     I supported this front office for the first 3 years.

They lost me last year.        Can they win me back?        We're about to find out.

By the way,  it's not all that important, but it jumped off the page at me,  if Donnie Avery had really worked out,  we would have re-signed him in 2013.      We didn't.     We let him sign elsewhere.

Also, the most important argument for 2012 you didn't even mention.     And that's that we played with an $80 million dollar payroll,  the smallest in the NFL that year.     Most everyone else was around $120 mill.     To make the playoffs with that kind of difficulty is very impressive. 

Again,  the front office did well for three years.     Then.....    things went sour for me.     Too many big misses in the draft and free agency.      We're not where we should be in Y5 of this front office.      I hope for better this year.     

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And the reasons we went 11-5 three straight years and went a game further in the playoffs each year were (1)  Andrew Luck and (B)  a weak AFC South schedule.    

Sorry but I really hate this line of thinking and I highly disagree with it.  IMO Pagano was as much responsible, if not moreso, for the 11-5 seasons than Luck.  Luck has had some great moments, no doubt about it, and he's one of the best young QBs in the league.  But he's also made more than his fair share of mistakes (not to mention being forced to run Pep's offense)  that the rest of the team has had to help come back from. 

On May 7, 2016 at 8:30 AM, GoatBeard said:

Over Thornton, Good or Reitz?

Yes!

Clark is a very good prospect and definitely has a chance to start. The guys you listed are all marginal starters at best.

You shouldnt be so appalled at the comparisons to Bill Polians drafts because Grigsons drafts actually stack up pretty favoribly. 

I rejected the line of thinking too.  For three years.

But after a while, when you see what the rest of the divisions in the NFL look like and see how they approach their business and then you see what we went through......    I started to change my view.

I saw Houston, J'Ville and Tennessee all makes major improvements and the only thing we really had over them was Andrew Luck.      Remember,  I'm mostly a Chuck Pagano fan.    So, I think we've benefited from him as our coach.     So, I'm happy to include him in our list of good things.     I was trying to be brief and to the point.

But we have benefited from the other three teams in our division struggling.    And now we're going to have our hands full with Houston, J'Ville and Tennessee.    I think they've improved tremendously.    I don't subscribe to what some here view as......   "They've always sucked.    So, they always will suck."      That's fan-boy talk.   (Not accusing you of that,  but I've gotten some of that this off-season from others here....)

I'm still predicting the Colts to win the AFC South.    So, I can't be too down on us.    But I think this will be our hardest year,  our biggest challenge.       Hope this clarifies my thinking....

5 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Andrew Luck was acquired by our Front Office (when many were wishing for RG3).  So your reason (1) for us winning 11 games is directly attributable to the FO.

One other point about your post....

I joined in mid-May of 2012,  about two weeks after the draft.     Judging from the conversation that were had then and since then,  there were very, very few posters who wanted RG3.      That's a straw-man argument.

Luck was the overwhelming choice, both inside this franchise,  and across the NFL.     

I don't know where you got that "many were wishing for RG3."      If there were,  then those people simply just didn't know much about football.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

...We're not where we should be in Y5 of this front office.  ...    

Being that year 5 has yet to begin, you don't yet factually know that.   You suspect it, but the season has yet to play out.  Tell me after the season if we're where we were supposed to be in year 5 of the Grigson / Pagano regime.

I like to hold out optimism, myself. :-) 

10 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Being that year 5 has yet to begin, you don't yet factually know that.   You suspect it, but the season has yet to play out.  Tell me after the season if we're where we were supposed to be in year 5 of the Grigson / Pagano regime.

I like to hold out optimism, myself. :-) 

When I say that we're not where we should be,  that based in part on not being where we should've been in Y4.   And it's based in part on a number of sports websites who say our roster simply isn't very good.

That's ESPN,  NFL.com and Pro Football Focus.      They all think we're somewhere around 20-28th or so in overall talent.        That's not where should be.

I have no objection to anyone being optimistic.      Despite all my negative comments,  I optimistically believe we're still going to win the AFC South this year.

The reason?      New coaches who I like very, very much.    I think they'll make all the difference!          :thmup: 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I joined in mid-May of 2012,  about two weeks after the draft.     Judging from the conversation that were had then and since then,  there were very, very few posters who wanted RG3.      That's a straw-man argument.

Luck was the overwhelming choice, both inside this franchise,  and across the NFL.     

I don't know where you got that "many were wishing for RG3."      If there were,  then those people simply just didn't know much about football.

Yeah I'm not sure where that came from about rg3. I'd say at most about t% of those who spoke up were for rg3. Pretty sure there were actually more in favor of trading the pick than there were in favor of rg3.

On 8/25/2016 at 6:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The point you're bringing up is really not even central to my argument that the front office took a team who was the worst in the NFL with a 2-14 record and has not have a losing season in 4 years (despite playing with 5 different QBs last year and being without our franchise player for >1/2 the season).  The Colts were one of only 4 teams to win 11 or more games in 2012, 2013 and 2014 and accrued 3 playoff wins in that span -- pretty remarkable when you account for the fact that they inherited garbage and were forced to overhaul essentially the entire team over that time span.

My other central argument, based on your statements, was that although there are many things which the FO could (and maybe should) be ragged on for.... rumors that they're projecting a 7th round pick from U. Maine to develop better as an ILB than an OLB is not something they should be ragged on for.... it'd be remarkable if a 7th round pick ever gets to the point where he sees significant or meaningful playing time.

As far as what you're nit-picking on (getting away from the fact you're making invalid complaints about what our front office is doing with a 7th round pick who was seen as a project from the get go), I never said the majority of people wanted RG3 over Luck -- only that there were many (not the majority, but still a decent amount) across the NFL who were predicting RG3 would be the better pick -- RG3 went on to win ROY and has since been hampered by injuries, and our FO made the correct choice with picking Luck (basically the first significant choice they had to make after letting Peyton go) -- regardless, I'm not really sure why you're picking that statement out of my argument against your unfounded argument that the FO is terrible because they are potentially looking to experiment with positions for a 7th round draft pick who comes from a small school and who there is no chance you know more about than our FO and coaching staff.