Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wisniewski a Steeler?

I read an article from  a Jacksonville Jags blog that suggests that Stefen Wisniewski will sign a contract with the Steelers as early as today. 

My question: that team plays a similar style to the Colts. If he's good enough to play for them, why not the Colts? He's durable, and he's got to be a heckuva lot better than Holmes Harrison et al. 

So...if he goes to the Steelers and Pouncey comes back healthy, he's a backup. If he comes to the Colts, he has a great chance to start. He cannot be very expensive. A two year deal with some decent guaranteed $ which allows them to cut him if our new rookie center is ready to go next year....or sooner? Makes sense to me. Wow. Our center situation continues to baffle. 

1 minute ago, KB said:

He isn't any better than Holmes. Jacksonvilles line was bad last year and he was the weakest link. Even if he was cheap he wouldn't of been an upgrade.

That's crazy he is a lot better than Holmes. Wiz had one game with a negative PFF rating last year. Holmes is one of the worse pass blocking interior lineman in the league according to Rotoworld and anyone who watches him play. Holmes can't stay healthy and is slow to heal. Wiz would be a huge upgrade in stability alone. 

If he signs with the Steelers or somebody else that leaves us basically with two choices unless you believe we stand pat with our current centers.  We draft one or trade for a center.  One way or the other we need to find a new starting center.   The FO and owner all appear on board with the need for a major upgrade at the position.   It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out as we get closer to the draft and possibly during the draft.  And we all know Grigson is not afraid to trade, i.e. Vontae Davis. 

He's way better than Holmes LOL. He's no star center, but he's a solid, slightly above average starting Center, who's best attribute is pass protection. That's why I liked him, we need some guys to protect 12. I don't know why he'd sign with Pittsburgh. I mean Decastro-Pouncy-Foster ????????

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

That's crazy he is a lot better than Holmes. Wiz had one game with a negative PFF rating last year. Holmes is one of the worse pass blocking interior lineman in the league according to Rotoworld and anyone who watches him play. Holmes can't stay healthy and is slow to heal. Wiz would be a huge upgrade in stability alone. 

PFF isnt the end all be all.

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

He's way better than Holmes LOL. He's no star center, but he's a solid, slightly above average starting Center, who's best attribute is pass protection. That's why I liked him, we need some guys to protect 12. I don't know why he'd sign with Pittsburgh. I mean Decastro-Pouncy-Foster ????????

Is that why the jags had no intention of re signing him? 

17 hours ago, Hoose said:

I read an article from  a Jacksonville Jags blog that suggests that Stefen Wisniewski will sign a contract with the Steelers as early as today. 

My question: that team plays a similar style to the Colts. If he's good enough to play for them, why not the Colts? He's durable, and he's got to be a heckuva lot better than Holmes Harrison et al. 

So...if he goes to the Steelers and Pouncey comes back healthy, he's a backup. If he comes to the Colts, he has a great chance to start. He cannot be very expensive. A two year deal with some decent guaranteed $ which allows them to cut him if our new rookie center is ready to go next year....or sooner? Makes sense to me. Wow. Our center situation continues to baffle. 

If the Steelers sign him as a backup, then why the heck would we want him?  We'd be starting a backup...

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If the Steelers sign him as a backup, then why the heck would we want him?  We'd be starting a backup...

Colts have done that at Center for a few years now.....

I do think Holmes has some potential in the new scheme.  But given his propensity to miss games he really can't be depended on.

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Colts have done that at Center for a few years now.....

I do think Holmes has some potential in the new scheme.  But given his propensity to miss games he really can't be depended on.

Well, I'm not exactly signing Grigson's praises on that front.  I don't disagree on Holmes. I'd like to see us address C in the draft.  There's a couple of guys I really like.  I think the Alabama kid will go too high for my liking, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if we took him in the 2nd.  I think Tuerk will also be good, but I can understand why people wouldn't want to take a chance on him after Holmes.

I guess what concerns me is that neither Holmes nor Harrison gives me any confidence at all. They are both second rate talents. It seems to me that signing a guy like Wisniewski as a bridge to a rookie center that we hopefully draft in rounds 2 or 3 would make far more sense than still trying to put lipstick on our pig centers. Wisniewski may not be the second coming of Alex Mack, but he's durable and he's competent. Two things that neither of our current C's have going for them. And I don't care how good the rookie is that we draft as the long term answer at C, he won't be ready for prime time for a while. Do you want to trust Luck's health to Holmes or Harrison for even one game next season? I don't.