Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Andrew Luck win comeback player of the year this coming season?

RockThatBlue

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That all depends on how well the offensive line plays. If Luck could ever get the time to actually go through his progressions it would help.

I mean the dude had like 40 touchdowns with lack luster o line play in 2014. If Andrew could consistently get decent protection, I have no doubts in my mind he can hit 50

On 3/27/2016 at 7:52 PM, GwinnettColt said:

If there are no changes on the O-line, then no; his shelf-life is drastically being shortened.  In fact, I'd consider leaving and going to another team if I were Andrew and no changes are made.  If they improve it, then possibly.

Why do people continue to trot this stuff out?  A team drafting a quarterback in round 1 these days virtually guarantees they have him locked up for 7 years.  Nothing the player can do about it either.  Nothing.

We have Andrew for 3 more years minimum, but a contract will get done and it will be a moot point.

16 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Why do people continue to trot this stuff out?  A team drafting a quarterback in round 1 these days virtually guarantees they have him locked up for 7 years.  Nothing the player can do about it either.  Nothing.

We have Andrew for 3 more years minimum, but a contract will get done and it will be a moot point.

Because they have the freedom to and that is what is on their minds.  

Indy can use the franchise tag beginning in 2017 and each time they do, it increases the recipient's salary significantly-which causes other player positions to take a hit-preventing more quality signings.  

I wouldn't re-sign with a team that doesn't focus on the line that has the responsibility of protecting me.

8 hours ago, GwinnettColt said:

Because they have the freedom to and that is what is on their minds.  

Indy can use the franchise tag beginning in 2017 and each time they do, it increases the recipient's salary significantly-which causes other player positions to take a hit-preventing more quality signings.  

I wouldn't re-sign with a team that doesn't focus on the line that has the responsibility of protecting me.

You wouldn't have a choice if you were franchised till year 8. Besides, I think your over reacting about the Colts not taking responsibility in finding offensive linemen. Things hasn't been as good as they would like but it has not been from lack of trying. The Colts don't have anymore problems finding offensive linemen that many other teams. Good offensive linemen are hard to find and great ones a far and few between. You think the Colts are the only team that has trouble in that area?

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You wouldn't have a choice if you were franchised till year 8. Besides, I think your over reacting about the Colts not taking responsibility in finding offensive linemen. Things hasn't been as good as they would like but it has not been from lack of trying. The Colts don't have anymore problems finding offensive linemen that many other teams. Good offensive linemen are hard to find and great ones a far and few between. You think the Colts are the only team that has trouble in that area?

When we have pressing O-line needs and we take a WR in the first round and when there are decent O-line FAs available (many of them better than what we now have) and we do not reach out to any, it causes me to question the dedication to improving the O-line.  I'm not sure that I'm overreacting because 1) I really don't think about it until I come on the message boards  2) It's just football and I realize that.

No, I do not think that the Colts are the only team that has trouble in that area but as a Colts fan, I'm more concerned with what the Colts do than what other teams do.  But, concerned is too heavy of a word as I do not lose sleep on the matter.  

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

When we have pressing O-line needs and we take a WR in the first round and when there are decent O-line FAs available (many of them better than what we now have) and we do not reach out to any, it causes me to question the dedication to improving the O-line.  I'm not sure that I'm overreacting because 1) I really don't think about it until I come on the message boards  2) It's just football and I realize that.

No, I do not think that the Colts are the only team that has trouble in that area but as a Colts fan, I'm more concerned with what the Colts do than what other teams do.  But, concerned is too heavy of a word as I do not lose sleep on the matter.  

So what offensive lineman taken at pick 30, 31 or 32 after Dorsett was worth a first round pick?

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what offensive lineman taken at pick 30, 31 or 32 after Dorsett was worth a first round pick?

Clemmings would have been ok.  Regardless, WR wasn't a pressing need.  Or you trade to the second and get something else out of it.  

Also, La'el Collins would have worked for a sixth or seventh round; had he continued with legal issues and left the team, we wouldn't have lost much.  

19 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

Clemmings would have been ok.  Regardless, WR wasn't a pressing need.  Or you trade to the second and get something else out of it.  

Also, La'el Collins would have worked for a sixth or seventh round; had he continued with legal issues and left the team, we wouldn't have lost much.  

Dorsett is going to be better that what you call an OK player. GMs as a normal do not draft for need. That is a very good way to lose your job quick. If a player rated at that point in the draft just happens to be a need consider it lucky. The Colts picked at #29 and Dorsett was a steal at that pick. It's easy to use your hindsight to pass out judgment at this point. Now you bringing up a 6th or 7th round pick?

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dorsett is going to be better that what you call an OK player. GMs as a normal do not draft for need. That is a very good way to lose your job quick. If a player rated at that point in the draft just happens to be a need consider it lucky. The Colts picked at #29 and Dorsett was a steal at that pick. It's easy to use your hindsight to pass out judgment at this point. Now you bringing up a 6th or 7th round pick?

The point is that last year's draft did not address the O-line, so yes, I bringing up a 6th or 7th round pick.

Of course they draft for need.  Dorsett, while good, was an extra last year.  

Phillip Dorsett might be considered an extra in his rookie year, but he is not this year.  If we didn't have Dorsett, what would our needs also include, maybe WR? But we still have othe rneeds so you don't look for one until round 4 or later.  There are no Phillips Dorsett's left by round 4, I'll guarantee that.

Here was our linemen the year before we drafted Andrew Luck.  2011 Offensive Line roster-

Anthony Castonzo (rookie pick)
Joe Reitz
Jeff Linkenbach
Jeff Saturday    Mike Pollak    Jamie Richard
Ryen Diem
Seth Olsen

O Line draft picks since 2011-

Anthony Castonzo  T (1)
Benjamin Ijalana    T (2)
Justin Anderson    G (7)
Hugh Thornton      G (3)
Khaled Holmes      C (4)
Jack Mewhort        G (2)

Free agent O linemen signings since 2012-

Mike McGlynn     (Cap stapped budget piece)
Samson Satele    (Ditto)
Winston Justice  (Eagle player, comfort pick for Grigson)
Donald Thomas    (Injury Reserve was his specialty))
Gosder Cherilus  (overvalued RT)
Phil costa   (signed then retired a Colt without ever playinga game!!)
Jonothan Harrison  (UDFA like Jeff Saturday, but not nearly as good)
Todd Herremans   (injury history and over the hill, methinks)

{sorry if I missed any others}

So they have been trying to address the O line, it's just that things have not proceeded as they hoped.  I understand we get to grade in hindsight but GM's are paid to operate in Foresight.  Many teams have taken O line in top rounds recently and they have been very poor production picks as well.  We might well get burned the same way. Getting a gem O lineman can come in any round, but they aren't plentiful these days.  I blame the college spread game for it (but not the coaches/teams for doing it, they are trying to win their games).  

As far as draft for need vs. BPA, if the need guy is pretty close in grade to the BPA guy, go for the need player.  But if there is a notable difference in grade, you really must go BPA within the first 3 rounds, IMO.  Here is why-

Drafting the best available player over need in at least the draft’s first three rounds leads to an overall higher level of talent for the team roster. Many teams (including Grigson) employ this method, trusting in their scouts and their own scouting capability for playing grade assessment.

On the other hand is the “need-based” type draft team. I have quite a few issues with this:

1. You will always pass up more talented players (which your opponent greedily accepts) in the name of short term fixes.

2. Your needs today will not be the same as your needs tomorrow. In a game as violent as professional football, one play, one injury often changes that “needs assessment” drastically.

3. Draft pick misses are magnified, as your focus was so narrow (1-3 positions), you ignored other players with star potential at other positions.

4. You limit your trade options, and you limit your flexibility.

During a stretch under Thomas Dimitroff (a needs type drafter), The Falcons drafted O line heavily to 'protect' their 100 million dollar QB Matt Ryan.  The Falcons proceeded to win only 10 games out of 32 over a 2 year span. They even picked Peter Konz while Russell Wilson was still on the board (would have been a solid backup to Ryan) because they felt they needed even more O line help. The Seahawks, meanwhile, were Giddy to take Wilson in round 3.  This despite the fact they just acquired Matt Flynn and gave him a fairly big deal (3 year 26 million, having been A. Rodgers backup).  We as fans look at things microscopically.  Fill this glaring hole with that somewhat better player out there while the game changers and game wreckers go past and on to opponents. GM's need to look and think big picture as well.  Every move must be made to improve the roster talent just as much for the future as well as today.

For every La'el Collins, there's a handful of Jason Smiths. It's a rough world out there.