Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Salary Cap

loudnproudcolt

I just wanted to give everyone a reminder who is saying we don't have enough salary cap to do this or that. It is true we only have around 20M left this year in salary cap, but a couple things to remember.

1) Andrew's salary is already counted in that number, at least the 5yr option at 16.1, so signing him will not hurt the cap this year unless we front load it.

2)I believe more cuts or restructurings will happen.

3) I think most of the high money fruit is off the tree, but I am sure most will not see that as a positive, but if we want to sign players, we have the money for it.

4) Next year, we have cap space of over 72M, and that is without the carryover I am guessing we will have, and without the 8% raise in salary cap which has been happening because of TV revenues, so next year, we are going to have a lot of cap space. I hope if we have cap space at the end of FA, we front load Andrew's contract!

Just a few thoughts going through my head about the cap, but the most important, is Andrews salary for this year is already in the numbers.

4 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

I don't have numbers, but colts don't need to sign average players, already have enough. Spend what money they have and get a couple of really solid players. (my opinion)

except for the fact that they have to sign draft picks out of that 20ish mil.  They have to sign a buttload of players just to have a full roster..... cannot sign a couple of 10 mil. per guys and call it a day, unless, you know, you want around 15 UDFA playing critical roles this season.....

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

except for the fact that they have to sign draft picks out of that 20ish mil.  They have to sign a buttload of players just to have a full roster..... cannot sign a couple of 10 mil. per guys and call it a day, unless, you know, you want around 15 UDFA playing critical roles this season.....

I think they can fill their roster, id just like to see some good players on it

35 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

2)I believe more cuts or restructuring will happen.

I don't see the Colts cutting anyone that makes an impact to our salary cap. Maybe they'll re-structure Arthur's contract, but I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its more important to have cap money in the near future when Brady declines and the Steelers can't pay all of their WRs than it is for us to have it now and beat our heads against the wall trying to beat them this year.

this is the worst mindset ever lol

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

this is the worst mindset ever lol

Nah, the worst is when your starting QB is playing like crap and people are on an internet forum cheering like school kids thinking their team has a shot at winning the SB.

Not to burst y'alls bubble, but we aren't close to winning a SB yet, and the free agents we'd sign this year with tons of cap space would not get us there.  I'd rather have the space when we have a roster that is more competitive and need to sign two overpaid but productive free agents who will get us over the top.

But come the first of the year, many fans will be showing their school spirit and cheering like we have a not-lucky shot at going to the SB.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its more important to have cap money in the near future when Brady declines and the Steelers can't pay all of their WRs than it is for us to have it now and beat our heads against the wall trying to beat them this year.

I 'm not giving anything to anyone. Get your team and go play!!

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nah, the worst is when your starting QB is playing like crap and people are on an internet forum cheering like school kids thinking their team has a shot at winning the SB.

Not to burst y'alls bubble, but we aren't close to winning a SB yet, and the free agents we'd sign this year with tons of cap space would not get us there.  I'd rather have the space when we have a roster that is more competitive and need to sign two overpaid but productive free agents who will get us over the top.

But come the first of the year, many fans will be showing their school spirit and cheering like we have a not-lucky shot at going to the SB.

you know i hate grigson as much or more as anyone, i have posted some pretty negative things, i do believe we have one of the worst rosters in the league, but seriously dude you need to resign as a colts fan, delete your account and cheer for another team

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

you know i hate grigson as much or more as anyone, i have posted some pretty negative things, i do believe we have one of the worst rosters in the league, but seriously dude you need to resign as a colts fan, delete your account and cheer for another team

Been a Colts fan for 30 years.  Knew when the Colts had a chance and when they weren't yet good enough.  I watched HGTV a lot during that 2-14 season.

Had a good playoff run in 1995/6 and had good years in the mid 2000s, some years were more hopeful than others. Heck, I even changed my realistic view of how well the defense would play just based upon whether or not Bob Sanders was suited up or not, which he was during the 2006 SB playoff run.

10 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Why? Because he doesn't want to put us in cap hell by signing more over priced free agents? If we would have signed any "impact" free agents at the cost they're receiving, I'm almost 100% sure I would find a post of yours saying we overpaid and Grigson is dumb. You Debbie Downers are ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Easy there, I think were all on the same page, just different sentences.

11 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Why? Because he doesn't want to put us in cap hell by signing more over priced free agents? If we would have signed any "impact" free agents at the cost they're receiving, I'm almost 100% sure I would find a post of yours saying we overpaid and Grigson is dumb. You Debbie Downers are ridiculous.

you guys that fail to see how horrible grigson has been is more hilarious, the Allen signing and his failure to take initiative in not only this FA but every one he has been apart of is just the icing on the cake. Do i need to mention TR? Werner shall i go on? whats worse than a whiner? someone who pretends everything is ok when its not, then continues to defend it

29 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

wth?!?    Because you and Doug disagree on how good a team we have he has to resign as a Colts fan, delete his account and cheer for another team?

What the...........

Why would you say something like this?

He's not a perpetually negative poster.      Doug and I rarely agree on ANYTHING and I'd never say to him what you did......       What's the matter with you?

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

wth?!?    Because you and Doug disagree on how good a team we have he has to resign as a Colts fan, delete his account and cheer for another team?

What the...........

Why would you say something like this?

He's not a perpetually negative poster.      Doug and I rarely agree on ANYTHING and I'd never say to him what you did......       What's the matter with you?

he sayd we will not beat the Pats until Brady retires and we will not beat the Steelers till they are too broke to resign their receivers and i dont know that just got under my skin a bit, it was uncalled for, i am sorry Doug i dont know you on this forum sorry man

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

he sayd we will not beat the Pats until Brady resigned and we will not beat the Steelers till they are too broke to resign their receivers and i dont know that just got under my skin a bit, it was uncalled for, i am sorry Doug i dont know you on this forum sorry man

Doug and I just had long exchange today where we pretty much disagreed about......  everything.

Doug sees the football world completely different from me,  likely than you,  and I'd guess differently from most fans here.      He's pretty happy with Grigson and the team itself.      I'm not, and that's what we got into today.

I'm not even sure that Doug and I agree that today is Wednesday! 

I just wouldn't go too far....      appreciate you stepping up as you did.....    thanks!

With all this said,  i was just watching nfl Network..and it was said the Dolphins released Brent Grimes!!!!! Please colts,  please go after him,  GET HIM!!!  

Ps. I would rather have Sean Smith or Casey Hayward since they're younger (if not either of them, Grimes would provide good veteran experience to help develop the younger CB's)

3 minutes ago, TYtheMan13 said:

With all this said,  i was just watching nfl Network..and it was said the Dolphins released Brent Grimes!!!!! Please colts,  please go after him,  GET HIM!!!

His wife threatened death on a Miami beat writer on Twitter after his release no thanks.

4 minutes ago, bababooey said:

His wife threatened death on a Miami beat writer on Twitter after his release no thanks.

No offense, but who really cares...

Threatening someone isn't the same as beating someone up. Journalists are all full of nonsense that deserve it anyways.

I'll be one of those looney people who cheers on the team at the start of the season. I won't go as far as saying "zomg we're gonna beat everyone and win a gazillion championships", but I will continue to have hope. Why? Because that's what I want to do. I am no more or less of a fan than anyone else on here. 

I can honestly see both points on why some are optimistic and while others are skeptical. 

10 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

No offense, but who really cares...

Threatening someone isn't the same as beating someone up. Journalists are all full of nonsense that deserve it anyways.

Who really cares? The employer that is who. No employer wants to deal with that horse dung. If you were a boss the last thing you want is to deal with a crazy wife or husband of who you are the boss of. It's silly for you to think no one cares. I guess you have never heard the saying come do your job and leave your personal and or home life at home?

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who really cares? The employer that is who. No employer wants to deal with that horse dung. If you were a boss the last thing you want is to deal with a crazy wife or husband of who you are the boss of. It's silly for you to think no one cares. I guess you have never heard the saying come do your job and leave your personal and or home life at home?

Specious argument.

I can buy it if Grimes himself was a thug...never heard of anyone getting fired because it was discovered that his wife or brother is loco. If the latter was the case, then nobody in this world would have a job.

4 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Specious argument.

I can buy it if Grimes himself was a thug...never heard of anyone getting fired because it was discovered that his wife or brother is loco.

I take it you have never been around an issue like that? I have and it's not a good thing for the person who is paid to do a job but the other employees as well. The person gets ragged on from their co workers because they cant control their spouse. No one wants that horse dung like I said.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I take it you have never been around an issue like that? I have and it's not a good thing for the person who is paid to do a job but the other employees as well. The person gets ragged on from their co workers because they cant control their spouse. No one want that horse dung like I said.

How many times has a spouse been relevant?

Outside of Hollywood and the entertainment industry, how many times have you seen in corporate America, a spouse walks into Microsoft corporate and raise hell because his/her spouse was not promoted, etc, etc?

Shoot, 90% of us here have dated a person once who would probably be considered as a clinical alcoholic.

7 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Outside of Hollywood and the entertainment industry, how many times have you seen in corporate America, a spouse come in and raise hell because his/her spouse was not promoted, etc, etc?

That is exactly my point. And when it does happen it is not a good thing. The football locker room is not exactly a corporate office that abides by corporate rules. I don't understand what is so hard about that and why you cant grasp it.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:
13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is exactly my point. And when it does happen it is not a good thing. The football locker room is not exactly a corporate office that abides by corporate rules. I don't understand what is so hard about that and why you cant grasp it.

That is exactly my point. And when it does happen it is not a good thing. The football locker room is not exactly a corporate office that abides by corporate rules. I don't understand what is so hard for you to grasp that.

Still don't get how Brent Grimes' wife has anything to do with it. She's not one of the players on the team, nor a regular visitor on the team, not a team owner's or GM's relative, etc. Has absolutely no influence, power, or authority over the team.

At best, a low level radio show host, a shock jock who talks smack about everyone and everything, ala Howard Stern. Her distracting a team and locker room is the least of anyone's issues.

27 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Still don't get how Brent Grimes' wife has anything to do with it. She's not one of the players on the team, nor a regular visitor on the team, not a team owner's or GM's relative, etc. Has absolutely no influence, power, or authority over the team.

At best, a low level radio show host, a shock jock who talks smack about everyone and everything, ala Howard Stern. Her distracting a team and locker room is the least of anyone's issues.

Sorry you don't grasp my point.

51 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Outside of Hollywood and the entertainment industry, how many times have you seen in corporate America, a spouse walks into Microsoft corporate and raise hell because his/her spouse was not promoted, etc, etc?

Shoot, 90% of us here have dated a person once who would probably be considered as a clinical alcoholic.

Nick Harper???

5 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

you guys that fail to see how horrible grigson has been is more hilarious, the Allen signing and his failure to take initiative in not only this FA but every one he has been apart of is just the icing on the cake. Do i need to mention TR? Werner shall i go on? whats worse than a whiner? someone who pretends everything is ok when its not, then continues to defend it

Who's pretending everything is ok? I know this team has holes. It's clear this team needs some more talent. Guess what? So do 31 other teams in the NFL. You're exhausting. I can hear your angry temper tears through your posts while you throw these little tantrums. Do you really need to state how much you disagree with EVERY move made, or not made, in free agency? We get it, dude. You're upset. Give it a rest.

7 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I just wanted to give everyone a reminder who is saying we don't have enough salary cap to do this or that. It is true we only have around 20M left this year in salary cap, but a couple things to remember.

1) Andrew's salary is already counted in that number, at least the 5yr option at 16.1, so signing him will not hurt the cap this year unless we front load it.

2)I believe more cuts or restructurings will happen.

3) I think most of the high money fruit is off the tree, but I am sure most will not see that as a positive, but if we want to sign players, we have the money for it.

4) Next year, we have cap space of over 72M, and that is without the carryover I am guessing we will have, and without the 8% raise in salary cap which has been happening because of TV revenues, so next year, we are going to have a lot of cap space. I hope if we have cap space at the end of FA, we front load Andrew's contract!

Just a few thoughts going through my head about the cap, but the most important, is Andrews salary for this year is already in the numbers.

Ya and you could get 2-3 really decent players with 20m in cap space left I think we have slightly more than that maybe 21-22.

After the restructure of Jones and cutting Andre Johnson I calculate that our cap space is currently sitting at 22.2 M.  

We should be able to sign a guard and a CB2 and still have 10 M left over.  Do the rest in the draft and hope we hit it out of the park this year.  

23 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

You know what I'm very surprised your a Grigson fan!  Grigson put us in this situation by signing over the hill FA!!  It's his fault we have so many holes in the roster and not much money to get good players!!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:38 PM, DougDew said:

Colts DO have a shot at contending for the SB.  Are you kidding me?  Patriots are getting a little weaker, and Broncos just fell off!  We've just revamped our coaching staff with elite coaches who have experience!   During training camp last year the Panthers were without a starting WR.  They relied on Devin Funchess to be the leader in that position.  Colts only need to fill in a couple more pieces, but they've been running in place not taking care of needs and going after wants, that got us in the position. 

Sorry, but trying to stack WR's with big names for 4 straight year and ignoring the terrible OL play is stupid.  After a team gets their franchise QB, they must protect them (IE Offensive Line), then build a defense!  If you want proof look at the winner of the SB the last decade and a half.  1.  Franchise QB, 2.  dominant OL or nasty defense  or 3. at least being solid in both.

If you're worried about ONLY putting on a show, or having THE BEST in one area, that's an unbalanced team.  It doesn't work.  TBH, I'm surprised the Colts won one SB with Manning because their defense wasn't that good, but they did have a GREAT QB and OL to mask that.  The defense played good during the playoffs (the time that really matters) only!

So I would say 1 great pass rusher and 1 good OL and another with experience, on top of a 2nd starting corner,  I firmly believe we are the best in the AFC.  If we didn't miss on many early round picks as we have lately then we wouldn't be in this situation.  THE ONLY saving grace was the 2012 draft or else we would be bottom dwellers just like Houston Jacksonville and Tennessee has been!