Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fullbacks, Welcome To The Colts

DILLIGAFER

My question is, with the poor running game the colts had for years, why did it take so long for them to realize our RB needed a fullback to run behind? If your O line isnt creating holes, you need a full back to help. Seemed pretty simple to me. Why didnt they bring in a fullback sooner?

I've been wanting the Colts to use a Fullback for years on end now. The Colts running game is WAY to predictable. Even I can predict the Colts running plays 60-70% of the time and obviously I'm not a professional defense, so it's good to give the running back alittle extra protection. I would like to see them just become more diverse in general, but with Manning they really dont have to be.

I think it has to do with the no huddle. Peyton doesn't seem to enjoy having to change personnel that often, which becomes a problem with a fullback. Most blocking backs aren't that good at anything else and vice versa. I think someone who could block, catch, and maybe even run would have more use, though I still doubt it'd be much. LeRon McClain would have some potential, but I'd just prefer Mahaffey to block. Cody Johnson is an interesting prospect out of Texas, though he's never had to run block.

No issues here with using a fullback, but we actually averaged less YPC with a fullback on the field (4.6 v 3.7) this year. Also, there was no single game where we used a fullback more than 31% of the time. http://espn.go.com/b...se-of-fullbacks. It will be interesting to see what we do moving forward with Luck and/or Manning.

Some consideration has to be given to that fact that we posed no passing threat this year also.

Some consideration has to be given to that fact that we posed no passing threat this year also.

Indeed. I'm not really sure what to think of the stats, and made the post mostly to show how a FB was used this year and what the results were. I was all for the move to using a FB (it was one way we finally adjusted on offense) and was surprised when I saw that it actually wasn't making the running game more effective. The Colts passing game posed a minimal threat regardless of if there was a FB on the field or not, but one could argue that the passing threat was even less with a FB (don't know % of plays with a FB that were passes). The shorter YPC could also be a result of the situations (e.g., FB being in on short yardage plays, not being in on 3rd and long when a run was called, etc). FB or not, the improved run game this year was one positive, particularly considering it came with terrible QB play.

I think it has to do with the no huddle. Peyton doesn't seem to enjoy having to change personnel that often, which becomes a problem with a fullback. Most blocking backs aren't that good at anything else and vice versa. I think someone who could block, catch, and maybe even run would have more use, though I still doubt it'd be much. LeRon McClain would have some potential, but I'd just prefer Mahaffey to block. Cody Johnson is an interesting prospect out of Texas, though he's never had to run block.

That's why you would often see Clark or Eldridge lineup like FBs with Peyton. But usually it would end up being a passing play.

A would love to see a full back on the roster. They found three who looked decent this year. I understand that a lot of the time Peyton is in hurry up mode and can't be restricted by a two back set (including one who isn't particularly mobile), but other times you just need a FB. Much prefer a good one to a DT or a TE. The difference in performance has been striking. Maybe they can dress one (or not) based on the opposition and who is healthy, but I'm not sure why a fourth tight end is more important.

I would like to see us keep a FB on the roster. Mahaffey (not sure if I spelt that right) played pretty well until he got a concussion. He was doing a great job of blocking for the RBs. We've had Gijon Robinson here before as a FB, why not try a guy who can actually block?

Actually use a FB to help the RB? Nah that makes to much sense. Better to use undersized TEs who really cannot block well to do that. ;)

Like others have said a FB just has not fit our system. Our system was built around getting Manning as many weapons out there as much as possible. We use Clark a lot as that FB and we use Robinson as well.

If the colts are so worried about Peyton getting rolled in the back field, keep a FB in to help block. Clark sucks at blocking. Simply sucks.

A good fullback can run, catch, and block. And if Brown can run better witha FB, by all means give the guy a fullback. In the hurry up, id rather see a fb blocking than addai or brown. My brother plays fb, and after watching him play this year, i saw just how important a well rounded fullback can be for a team.

My question is, with the poor running game the colts had for years, why did it take so long for them to realize our RB needed a fullback to run behind? If your O line isnt creating holes, you need a full back to help. Seemed pretty simple to me. Why didnt they bring in a fullback sooner?

Because we assaulted folks for decade with 4 receivers and a speedy halfback..

...Your answer would be to get a great fullback who can block, catch passes and has great speed.

Cant argue with that

If you find one...call R. Grigson, PO Box, Indianapolis

Because we assaulted folks for decade with 4 receivers and a speedy halfback..

...Your answer would be to get a great fullback who can block, catch passes and has great speed.

Cant argue with that

If you find one...call R. Grigson, PO Box, Indianapolis

Your post made no sense based on what i said.

What you are talking about is pre Manning surgery. If there is no running game what will the opposing defense do? Always play the pass. That leaves Manning more vunerable to hits with the pathetic offensive line. Right?

So, have a better running game led by a fullback to open the pass up and block for Manning. The small RB on the colts get ran over by big LB's and put the pressure on Manning.

Your going to argue Addai and Brown can pass block? Addai gets run over and Brown misses blocks. Hence my sig, *&=$! It donald.

Wanna protect the 28 Million, 3 neck surgeries, aging QB.. get a good Fullback. (And O-line)

I liked Felton, he's the kind of FB that can receive and block.. he's much faster than the previous ones... if peyton is gonna be on the colts next year i think some things are gonna be different... he's definitely gonna wanna run the ball more... with that said Addai needs to go or get demoted or something.