Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Is Sean Payton Considered A Fit For the Colts?

Coltsman1788

For those who support Sean Payton as a possible head coach candidate for Indy, what are the reasons for why you think he would be a good fit?  In my opinion, when I look at the Saints I see a team that is not much better if not worse than the Colts.  I see a team known mostly for offense which has slowed down over the years and with no defense to speak of.  I think Payton coming here would not do much to improve things...more specifically I don't see how he would improve our defense.  But maybe I'm missing something. I am genuinely curious to learn what it is that makes him such a hot candidate for our potential coaching vacancy.   Thanks in advance.

A lot of the problems the Saints have are due to terrible contracts and being capped out for the last couple of seasons. It's hard to win when you're playing with spare parts. The defense has no talent whatsoever but that isn't Payton's fault. I doubt there is another team in this league that would start Devin Breaux at CB.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think that Luck is a drop-back and spread it all over the field kind of QB like Brees is, so I'm not sure Payton would be a good fit.

I'm not so sure Luck is that kind of QB either or if Payton would try to conform him into it.  He could possibly evolve into more of a patient spread the ball around kind of guy but he will probably always have some Farve in him.  He likes to take his shots down the field and isn't averse to taking some risks to try to make something happen. 

8 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

A lot of the problems the Saints have are due to terrible contracts and being capped out for the last couple of seasons. It's hard to win when you're playing with spare parts. The defense has no talent whatsoever but that isn't Payton's fault. I doubt there is another team in this league that would start Devin Breaux at CB.

So when he had talent he was able to lead the Saints to a Super Bowl in 2009.  But as the team eventually fell into cap hell, the talent has diminished and he doesn't have much to work with defensively and is doing the best he can with what he's got.  So what do we expect will happen once Luck gets his pay day and the Colts are forced to cut more corners on defense?  Seems like Payton might find himself in a similar situation with a team lacking in defensive talent.  Our defense is already shoddy and we aren't even in cap hell. 

4 minutes ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

The problem occurs who should be the coach is not as critical as what the team should look like.  We cannot have any doubts that Grigson screwed up this team and is at the heart of the problem

Please tell us all how Grigson screwed up the team?

20 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm not so sure Luck is that kind of QB either or if Payton would try to conform him into it.  He could possibly evolve into more of a patient spread the ball around kind of guy but he will probably always have some Farve in him.  He likes to take his shots down the field and isn't averse to taking some risks to try to make something happen. 

Nothing wrong with Farve-ism and taking shots down field, but to move the ball like Brees, Manning, or Brady, a QB has to be a lot more consistently accurate than Luck has shown to be.  If Payton can make Luck more accurate or do whatever to move the ball with a less accurate QB than what he is used to, I'm fine with it.

7 minutes ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

The problem occurs who should be the coach is not as critical as what the team should look like.  We cannot have any doubts that Grigson screwed up this team and is at the heart of the problem

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Please tell us all how Grigson screwed up the team?

Guys...I appreciate the passion but I respectfully ask that you not hijack this tread with a Griggson debate.  There are a lot of other threads for a pros and cons discussion/debate regarding Griggson.  In this thread, I am specifically interested in why some feel Sean Payton would make a good coach for Indy.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Guys...I appreciate the passion but I respectfully ask that you not hijack this tread with a Griggson debate.  There are a lot of other threads for a pros and cons discussion/debate regarding Griggson.  In this thread, I am specifically interested in why some feel Sean Payton would make a good coach for Indy.  Thanks.

He's got a SB ring, and there's about a 35% chance that he'll be available. Those are the 2 main reasons.

21 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

So when he had talent he was able to lead the Saints to a Super Bowl in 2009.  But as the team eventually fell into cap hell, the talent has diminished and he doesn't have much to work with defensively and is doing the best he can with what he's got.  So what do we expect will happen once Luck gets his pay day and the Colts are forced to cut more corners on defense?  Seems like Payton might find himself in a similar situation with a team lacking in defensive talent.  Our defense is already shoddy and we aren't even in cap hell. 

The difference is New Orleans put Payton in Salary Cap Hell for about 3 years or so...   maybe more.

To their credit,  Grigson's salary cap team has structured deals to keep us OUT of SCH.    As Superman has demonstrated in a number of threads,  we can pay Andrew Luck and still have room to sign several key free agents and sign our key players already on our team,  as we did with Hilton and Castanzo.     As the cap continues to rise,  we'll be OK with the cap.     We may never again sign 10 free agents as we did in 2013,   but we should likely stay out of SCH.

Just my 2 cents from 2,000 miles....   (and maybe not worth that much.....)

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The difference is New Orleans put Payton in Salary Cap Hell for about 3 years or so...   maybe more.

To their credit,  Grigson's salary cap team has structured deals to keep us OUT of SCH.    As Superman has demonstrated in a number of threads,  we can pay Andrew Luck and still have room to sign several key free agents and sign our key players already on our team,  as we did with Hilton and Castanzo.     As the cap continues to rise,  we'll be OK with the cap.     We may never again sign 10 free agents as we did in 2013,   but we should likely stay out of SCH.

Just my 2 cents from 2,000 miles....   (and maybe not worth that much.....)

Thanks...appreciate the insight Bro.

29 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's got a SB ring, and there's about a 35% chance that he'll be available. Those are the 2 main reasons.

I'd agree that his Super Bowl pedigree makes him a more appealing candidate.  Others have it too though...Gruden, Cowher, etc.  I guess the difference is Payton is an active coach while the other two guys have been out the game for awhile and are not necessarily confirmed (as of yet) to be interested in returning to coaching in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'd agree that his Super Bowl pedigree makes him a more appealing candidate.  Others have it too though...Gruden, Cowher, etc.  I guess the difference is Payton is an active coach while the other two guys have been out the game for awhile and are not necessarily confirmed (as of yet) to be interested in returning to coaching in the NFL. 

I wouldn't be opposed to the Colts signing Sean Payton, but a lot of people seem really high on him, whereas I'm somewhat indifferent.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Nothing wrong with Farve-ism and taking shots down field, but to move the ball like Brees, Manning, or Brady, a QB has to be a lot more consistently accurate than Luck has shown to be.  If Payton can make Luck more accurate or do whatever to move the ball with a less accurate QB than what he is used to, I'm fine with it.

It should also be noted Luck was asked in the colts offense to push it down field.  I never watched him at Stanford and thought of a long ball gun slinger.

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah, he has a SB ring, but on the other hand he's a Hank Baskett screwup away from losing a SuperBowl to Jim freaking Caldwell.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yeah, he has a SB ring, but on the other hand he's a Hank Baskett screwup away from losing a SuperBowl to Jim freaking Caldwell.

Ha ha...you're probably right.  But had he lost...it would be viewed by most as him losing to a Peyton Manning led Colts team than to Jim Caldwell.  Caldwell was just the caretaker of the Super Bowl team that Dungy left him.  Right place at right time similar to Gruden in Tampa Bay.  Anyway there would have been no shame losing to a Colts team that probably should have been undefeated going into the Super Bowl.   Also if memory serves me correctly, that Saints team led by Payton wasn't too shaby themselves.  I think both teams finished the regular season at 14-2 so Payton obviously was doing something right...back then at least. 

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It's not unrealistic to assume that Luck's cap number can still be in the range of what it will be next season even after he signs his next big deal. (16,000,000) I suggest you read up on the salary cap issues that the Saints have had. They might be in the worst cap situation since the beginning of the salary cap era. You have to be really, really incompetent to end up in the situation that the Saints have. For what it's worth, Grigson has done has a pretty good job of managing the cap and structuring contracts since he has been GM. With the rookie contracts the way they are now, the Colts are really only a good off-season away from shoring up the defense.

7 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

It's not unrealistic to assume that Luck's cap number can still be in the range of what it will be next season even after he signs his next big deal. (16,000,000) I suggest you read up on the salary cap issues that the Saints have had. They might be in the worst cap situation since the beginning of the salary cap era. You have to be really, really incompetent to end up in the situation that the Saints have. For what it's worth, Grigson has done has a pretty good job of managing the cap and structuring contracts since he has been GM. With the rookie contracts the way they are now, the Colts are really only a good off-season away from shoring up the defense.

Good post. Yeah...NewColts was turning me on to that as well.  Mentioned that Superman has several posts on our cap situation and that the Colts will be in pretty decent cap shape even after signing Luck.  So I definitely stand corrected.  I'll do some reading up on the Saints cap issues.  Appreciate the post.

He's a proven coach in this league. Took over the underwhelming New Orleans Saints and turned them into a perennial super bowl contender. NO has struggled the last couple of seasons, but you can attribute that to some hiccups on the defensive side of the ball. Junior Galette was talented, but he's a knuclehead who disrupted the chemistry of the group. Jairus Byrd was a all-pro safety, but he's been terrible and injured. The guy can coach.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Good post. Yeah...NewColts was turning me on to that as well.  Mentioned that Superman has several posts on our cap situation and that the Colts will be in pretty decent cap shape even after signing Luck.  So I definitely stand corrected.  I'll do some reading up on the Saints cap issues.  Appreciate the post.

Hey everyone. First I see a lot of people posting about salary cap problems for the saints, and that has cost them a lot of talent, plus their GM made some bad signings, Jairius Byrd as an example. Remember how everyone on the board here wanted him. Thank god we did not get him. Signed at the time as the highest paid safety, missed the first two years, and this year when he has played has looked terrible. Payton is responsible for FA's I understand, but the GM really did them in. The structuring of their contracts, GM related, has been terrible. Brees has a 30M cap hit next year. Sorry got off on a tangent, but the GM has hurt the Saints the last few years.

Ok why I think Payton would be good is he is aggressive which I like and he is innovative on the offensive end. He will adjust to what Andrew can do, and I believe he would emphasize throwing short, to set up the long throw. I think this is one of the most important things a coach can do, is get Andrew to look underneath, or design plays that way, and then look for down the field. I think it would change Andrew's point of view, and how he looks at things. From day one, he has been asked to sit in the pocket, wait for plays down the field to develop, and throw deeper passes. All of the offense was placed on his shoulders.

That catches up to a player, and with the OL this year, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

On the innovative point of view, I think Payton would design plays around Andrew's strenghts, bootleg him out more, get him out of the pocket. I would not even mind a little zone read once in awhile, but slide!

I also believe by getting Andrew comfortable with checking it down, because Payton loves screen passes, it would help Andrews accurarcy in the long run, since he would not be forcing the ball into crowds, since the field would be opened up. One last thing, most don't notice but Payton loves to run the ball. He is a Parcell's disciple, and even with Brees, they still run the ball a lot, which would be great.

One last point, and this is on the salary cap, and where we are vs. the Saints problems. I think we are in need of a C, RT, and possibly RG. On the defensive side, I believe our DL is not bad, and I like the young guys there, although depth would be nice. We need to focus on LB, CB, and safety.

We can go after defense in the draft. Also, we had a lot of injuries this year, and I believe a lot of picks this year are going to turn out to be good players. Parry, Geathers, Anderson.

On the Offensive side, we are great in the skill positions, but we need the OL to be upgraded, and as far as salary cap is concerned, only three players come to mind. Fleener, Freeman and Luck. Allen if he comes cheap. I don't think Freeman and Fleener will be to bad. Luck's contract will be large, but the good news is, all the high priced FA's we signed this year, we can let go and not get hit with very little dead money. Right now we have about 27M for next year with the carry over from salary not spent this year. My calculations from OTC, assuming a salary cap of 153M for next year are this. Cole will be gone, I would cut DQ (too old for how much he is paid), AJ gone (price vs. production plus we have plenty of receivers), Gore gone, I like him for leadership, but RB's can come much cheaper. It may not be popular but Mathis production vs his salary, I would cut him. I would also cut Werner, and try to negotiate Arthur Jones salary down since he has been an injury waiting to happen. Basically I want to get younger, and these are all older players, and I say lets get young guys play. The defense cannot get worse in the LB area, can it?

I think it is very realistic all those players will be gone. If that is the case, our salary cap space will be 51M for next year assuming a 150M salary cap, which will definitely happen. I think it will be 153M. Regardless, it gives us plenty of room to sign Luck up long term, find 2-3 Quality  OL, not quantity. Plus we could look for a CB, S, or LB, especially if we want to think about Vonn Miller, we would have the cap room to do it. Then the draft goes all defense, unless in the first round we have a quality OT fall into our lap depending on where we draft. I would not have a problem with a first round OT pick, but the rest would be defense. I think we are in great shape cap wise. Bring in Payton with his innovative ideas, find a quality D Coordinator and coaches who actually know how to coach their positions, and I think we would be in really good shape.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Here are a couple of good articles that really help explain the situation. You might have already read them but in case you haven't started here are some good beginning points....

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-orleans-saints-salary-cap/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4650943-saints-salary-cap-mistakes-mess-junior-galette-jimmy-graham-contracts-management

Because he has a Super Bowl ring and understands quarterbacks a hell lot more than Pagano does. 

When Luke McCown started in place of an injured Brees, Payton took time with Brees and they helped Luke McCown get comfortable, even to the point of designing new plays so he could play at his best in a game against Carolina, which came down to the final seconds and we nearly won.

In 2006 with Drew Brees not fully recovered, Payton designed an offense that made use of Brees' current situation, where he couldn't throw past 20 yards with his recovering shoulder injury. You can trash my coach all you want, I don't care, but I have seen him over the years design offenses and play to the strengths of Brees, and even helping a backup like Luke McCown play to his best strengths and talents as a passer. 

If he had Luck, he more than likely would be designing an offense to play to Luck's strength, and not limit him to the pocket. Luck could be the best Brett Favre or Steve Young type quarterback if he had a coach that knew how to play him like this, and not force him into being a pocket passer. When Arians was in control with Luck, he was playing to the play-action pass and letting him do what he's best at - escaping blitzes and getting the ball out after the play is broken up.

But don't worry, you'll never have him. He's not leaving New Orleans. You guys don't deserve him anyway, since you have to constantly bring him "he only has a ring cause the pick 6!" 

12 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

For those who support Sean Payton as a possible head coach candidate for Indy, what are the reasons for why you think he would be a good fit?  In my opinion, when I look at the Saints I see a team that is not much better if not worse than the Colts.  I see a team known mostly for offense which has slowed down over the years and with no defense to speak of.  I think Payton coming here would not do much to improve things...more specifically I don't see how he would improve our defense.  But maybe I'm missing something. I am genuinely curious to learn what it is that makes him such a hot candidate for our potential coaching vacancy.   Thanks in advance.

I hate Payton as a candidate it would be the same old song and dance with Payton as a coach. Bring in Cowher or Harbaugh.

4 hours ago, Bogie said:

Because he has a Super Bowl ring and understands quarterbacks a hell lot more than Pagano does. 

When Luke McCown started in place of an injured Brees, Payton took time with Brees and they helped Luke McCown get comfortable, even to the point of designing new plays so he could play at his best in a game against Carolina, which came down to the final seconds and we nearly won.

In 2006 with Drew Brees not fully recovered, Payton designed an offense that made use of Brees' current situation, where he couldn't throw past 20 yards with his recovering shoulder injury. You can trash my coach all you want, I don't care, but I have seen him over the years design offenses and play to the strengths of Brees, and even helping a backup like Luke McCown play to his best strengths and talents as a passer. 

If he had Luck, he more than likely would be designing an offense to play to Luck's strength, and not limit him to the pocket. Luck could be the best Brett Favre or Steve Young type quarterback if he had a coach that knew how to play him like this, and not force him into being a pocket passer. When Arians was in control with Luck, he was playing to the play-action pass and letting him do what he's best at - escaping blitzes and getting the ball out after the play is broken up.

But don't worry, you'll never have him. He's not leaving New Orleans. You guys don't deserve him anyway, since you have to constantly bring him "he only has a ring cause the pick 6!" 

So we would we have a nice offense and a terrible defense you see what that gave us with Peyton one super bowl in otherwise hall fame career. Stay away from that like the plague. The Colts need toughness bring In Cowher and let's out physical teams.

12 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Others have it too though...Gruden, Cowher, etc.  I guess the difference is Payton is an active coach while the other two guys have been out the game for awhile and are not necessarily confirmed (as of yet) to be interested in returning to coaching in the NFL. 

Cowher has been out almost a full decade. Gruden has been out for 6 or 7.  Both have settled in comfortably in their new roles.  But Cowher has been turning down offer every year since retiring, but let it be known 3 years ago he might be ready to coach again in 4-5 years, so that time is approaching fast, if he is true to his word. 

Last October Ian Rapoport reported Jon Gruden would only return to coaching to take the Raiders job.  Mark Davis wanted Jack Del Rio, and got him.

Both guys are not under pressure to return to coaching., but both have the underlying desire smoldering.  They both admit it is the hardest job with the longest hours in professional football.  They'll only return to a situation they feel is in their favor. (Established team, not rebuilding, Franchise QB, GM they can work with, etc...)

Is that situation the Colts for either of them?

15 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The Saints had a good defense before bountygate. Payton has always been considered a offensive genius and of course having Drew Brees to operate your offense helps. I can't believe that Payton and Luck wouldn't be a great fit. I can't believe that given a better offensive line that even with an average defense that Payton/Luck team wouldn't be a contender.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Cowher has been out almost a full decade. Gruden has been out for 6 or 7.  Both have settled in comfortably in their new roles.  But Cowher has been turning down offer every year since retiring, but let it be known 3 years ago he might be ready to coach again in 4-5 years, so that time is approaching fast, if he is true to his word. 

Last October Ian Rapoport reported Jon Gruden would only return to coaching to take the Raiders job.  Mark Davis wanted Jack Del Rio, and got him.

Both guys are not under pressure to return to coaching., but both have the underlying desire smoldering.  They both admit it is the hardest job with the longest hours in professional football.  They'll only return to a situation they feel is in their favor. (Established team, not rebuilding, Franchise QB, GM they can work with, etc...)

As of right now this seems to be a big issue with the Colts

11 hours ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

Here are a couple of good articles that really help explain the situation. You might have already read them but in case you haven't started here are some good beginning points....

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-orleans-saints-salary-cap/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4650943-saints-salary-cap-mistakes-mess-junior-galette-jimmy-graham-contracts-management

Thanks...appreciate the links! :thmup:

11 hours ago, Bogie said:

Hey Bogie...I was really hoping you would respond to this.  I appreciate your insights.  Gave you a like because I liked it all up to the last 2 sentences anyway.  lol 

Out of curiosity, why do you claim he isn't leaving New Orleans. I've been hearing a lot of rumblings that he could be on the move.   I know Brees said Payton wasn't going anywhere but that could just be his heart talking?  Thanks.

7 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I hate Payton as a candidate it would be the same old song and dance with Payton as a coach. Bring in Cowher or Harbaugh.

Those were my sentiments at first as well hence why I started this thread to try to educate myself more on what makes Payton so attractive to some.  I must admit that as a result of some of the posts I've seen that I am starting to warm up to him as a possibility little bit more.  Especially offensively still not so sure about defensively but there also seem to be extenuating circumstances involving the team's cap management that have contributed to their defense falling off the table. 

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think the Colts have most of the elements mentioned to be an attractive job for most coaches.  As was posted by the anarchist earlier, the main issue may be our GM situation. 

Personally, my preference is Cowher but I'll admit that all candidates have their warts.  With Cowher I feel that he would bring a toughness to the team that the Colts so desperately need.  He believes in a hard nosed defense and being able to run the football.  The drawback is that he has been removed from the game for a long time and one wonders if perhaps the game has passed him by.  Also prior to his winning Super Bowl XL, he had a rep as a coach who could not win the big one for a long time.  He did finally break through though.  Also Cowher has never had a franchise quarterback the caliber of Luck so not really sure he is the best choice to develop Luck and help him take the next step as a quarterback.  Maybe he is but there isn't much history to support it. 

As far as Gruden, I've never really been much of a fan but I respect the heck out of him as an offensive master mind and for his knack for coaching quarterbacks.  He would be absolutely great for Luck.  I think Gruden would jump at the chance to coach him. The main drawback to Gruden for me is his defensive coaching ability.  He inherited a beast of a defense in Tampa and oversaw its gradual decline into mediocrity during his tenure. 

Some here are making a decent enough case for Payton as well and there are also several other candidates (Saban, etc.) being discussed in other threads.  All of them have their pros and cons and it will be interesting to see how it all shake out.

I'm not high on Payton at all.  To me he embodies what the Colts typically are. . . passing team with no defense.  I don't think he really helps us at all.  

Guy has been losing for a lot of years with Drew Brees as his quarterback.  I'm not sure that 1 SB makes up for that.  

On December 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Before this season Sean Payton was considered one of the top coaches in the league.  Probably top 3

3 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Before this season Sean Payton was considered one of the top coaches in the league.  Probably top 3

Plus, the one Super Bowl he won was against Jim Caldwell. He out-coached Jim Caldwell...