Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Weddle fined for watching his daughter at hal

jvan1973

I wouldn't mind getting him on a 1 or 2 year show-me kind of deal, to be honest. If we can squeeze a lot out of Mike Adams, we can get enough out of Eric Weddle too. He would be fine to play for a contender on a 1 or 2 year deal betting on himself at this point in his career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/11116/morning-links-pro-football-focus-ranks-eric-weddle-nfls-22nd-best-player

As recently as 2014, he was a top 2 safety. I hope it is not another case of Rodney Harrison from the Chargers going to the Patriots. I would not like that. Get him when you can. Ex-Chargers like Sproles, Brees, Vincent Jackson, Antonio Cromarie etc. do have productive careers elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I understand you need to make adjustments at halftime.   But exceptions can be made.   The chargers must really not want him back

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2603132-eric-weddle-fined-for-watching-daughter-perform-at-halftime

I read about this, really petty by the Chargers.  From what I read he was not even playing.

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I read about this, really petty by the Chargers.  From what I read he was not even playing.

He did play in the game. I think he deserved the fine, from a black and white perspective, but I also think the decision to fine and then IR him is influenced by the Chargers being unhappy with him and his attitude during their contract standoff. 

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

meh, rules are rules.  The rest of us have them

Yes...we all do...that said it isn't unheard of to make an exception to a rule due to the nature of the request....that is if he requested to watch at halftime. If he didn't than yes it makes sense to fine him.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm sure the conflict between him and management started way before this little event.

Indeed it did. It started in the offseason when he wasn't extended an offer for an extention on his contract. He basically knew from the offseason the team didn't want him back and that he would be playing elsewhere in 2016. If you go back and read the offseason news he was very vocal then of his dissatisfaction with how he was being handled. I think he wanted a trade but I never heard he was even put on the market. When you handle things in this fashion as the team has this year it is no wonder they have handled this season so poorly. Seems like management is more eager to get to LA then have a well run team.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...we all do...that said it isn't unheard of to make an exception to a rule due to the nature of the request....that is if he requested to watch at halftime. If he didn't than yes it makes sense to fine him.

Yeah and even when you ask and it's reasonable sometimes you don't get it.  My husband was told that he had to take his vacation days or he would lose them.  So, he asked for his birthday off.

And they said sorry, no, we can't make that work.  He didn't take to twitter about it.  Sometimes things go that way.

19 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

I totally support the Chargers on this. Halftime is a crucial time for adjustments. You don't get to just skip out on that. Plenty of us out here also have jobs wherein we cannot use work hours to watch our kids perform.

I reviewed the box score...it appears he was playing so I do think he should have asked for permission to watch his daughter perform. A player with his contribution to the team and a veteran you typically handle them differently. Being forced to go on IR when he is healthy though seems like a terrible punishment. The team overall I think has handled him horribly. As a result you can see he has played all year with no passion...not the typical Eric that has terrorized passing lanes for years that we know. I could see him having a bounce back year. What does Girlzarefanstoo think about this current staff??

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He did play in the game. I think he deserved the fine, from a black and white perspective, but I also think the decision to fine and then IR him is influenced by the Chargers being unhappy with him and his attitude during their contract standoff. 

Ok thanks, I must have misread the information.  They did talk about him being put on IR, I thought that was before the game though.

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

Yeah and even when you ask and it's reasonable sometimes you don't get it.  My husband was told that he had to take his vacation days or he would lose them.  So, he asked for his birthday off.

And they said sorry, no, we can't make that work.  He didn't take to twitter about it.  Sometimes things go that way.

No doubt these athletes are very spoiled and used to getting their way. Seems like most have some kinda animosity with ownership etc over their worth etc. That said most teams go out of their way to keep their stars happy and such a small request would normally be obliged....I mean a half time of a meaningless game late in the season for a star athlete that has given blood and sweat to your organization over the years. Clearly there is a a TON of built up animosity between both sides this year. All said we don't know if he even requested...if he just did it on his own then that's changes the whole tone of the story.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No doubt these athletes are very spoiled and used to getting their way. Seems like most have some kinda animosity with ownership etc over their worth etc. That said most teams go out of their way to keep their stars happy and such a small request would normally be obliged....I mean a half time of a meaningless game late in the season for a star athlete that has given blood and sweat to your organization over the years. Clearly there is a a TON of built up animosity between both sides this year. All said we don't know if he even requested...if he just did it on his own then that's changes the whole tone of the story.

Agree that they are likely accustomed to far more of getting their way that most of the rest of us.

But, I have noticed that teams and the NFL tend to hold the line where they think it's important.  Especially when it comes to the game time.   

Bottom line for me, I have no sympathy and you don't take to twitter over these things. It's not professional

43 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Agree that they are likely accustomed to far more of getting their way that most of the rest of us.

But, I have noticed that teams and the NFL tend to hold the line where they think it's important.  Especially when it comes to the game time.   

Bottom line for me, I have no sympathy and you don't take to twitter over these things. It's not professional

I agree...I'm not a big social media person...have only about 30 family members on my facebook and no twitter....that said it can be used for good. My employees daughter had a huge run in with her boss at work about here schedule (she is in school) and had provided him her hours she could work upon hire. When he threatened her and treated her poorly and told her not to bother showing up my employee put a post on the company twitter/facebook  or whatever about how poorly her daughter was treated there and in less than 20 minutes a public relations person called her...got her information and the DM called her back within an hour. The DM 3-wayed a call with the store manager and it was resolved in minutes. It can be a powerful tool for the little guy. In this case the player.

Again not saying Eric was in the right here...but clearly his frustrations with the organization has skyrocketed and I think the final straw was being put on IR without his consent when he was healthy....and some other vets were too (basically the team throwing games for draft position)...and he wanted to expose what is going on behind the scenes to the fans. All that was reported was that he was fined...not the reason so Eric was just airing out his side of the story. Again...not saying who is right and wrong but I understand why this is going on...and if the team handled things differently there likely wouldn't be such an issue with Eric and some others unhappy in San Diego.

Weddle never asked.

Stuckey asked and was granted permission.

Even his team mates agree he should have asked and if denied taken the action.

Could have been handled better, but Weddle bears culpability here as well.  He's been *.  

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Again not saying Eric was in the right here...but clearly his frustrations with the organization has skyrocketed and I think the final straw was being put on IR without his consent when he was healthy

Eric isn't healthy, he has a pulled groin and it's a repeat injury.  There isn't time for it to get healed up and we had a Wide Receiver playing safety in the 4th qtr and over time who hadn't practiced at that position or played it since high school.  That's how desperate our secondary is.

4 players were put on IR this week so that we can bring in some defensive help.  We have 17 players on IR.  

I love Eric.  He's been amazing.  The front office told him plain and simple that they were concerned about his durability and that is why they wouldn't negotiate his contract one year ahead of deadline.  Eric got bent out of shape and acted in what I feel was a very unbecoming fashion last summer.  I'm very disappointed in him.  

I would welcome him back but not at an outrageous price and that's what he's going to want.  He's worth it IF he stays healthy and at his age that's a gamble.

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Again not saying Eric was in the right here...but clearly his frustrations with the organization has skyrocketed and I think the final straw was being put on IR without his consent when he was healthy....and some other vets were too (basically the team throwing games for draft position)...and he wanted to expose what is going on behind the scenes to the fans. 

The team is not throwing games - we had 8 players, 8 starters go out of the game with injuries and 4 of them ended up on IR as they simply couldn't heal up fast enough for the game.  We have to bring in reinforcements.  There really is no other option.

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree...I'm not a big social media person...have only about 30 family members on my facebook and no twitter....that said it can be used for good. My employees daughter had a huge run in with her boss at work about here schedule (she is in school) and had provided him her hours she could work upon hire. When he threatened her and treated her poorly and told her not to bother showing up my employee put a post on the company twitter/facebook  or whatever about how poorly her daughter was treated there and in less than 20 minutes a public relations person called her...got her information and the DM called her back within an hour. The DM 3-wayed a call with the store manager and it was resolved in minutes. It can be a powerful tool for the little guy. In this case the player.

Again not saying Eric was in the right here...but clearly his frustrations with the organization has skyrocketed and I think the final straw was being put on IR without his consent when he was healthy....and some other vets were too (basically the team throwing games for draft position)...and he wanted to expose what is going on behind the scenes to the fans. All that was reported was that he was fined...not the reason so Eric was just airing out his side of the story. Again...not saying who is right and wrong but I understand why this is going on...and if the team handled things differently there likely wouldn't be such an issue with Eric and some others unhappy in San Diego.

meh

I'm sure there is behind the scenes stuff about players and about management that we don't know about.  But this just looks like a power struggle that he cannot complain about.

Management is management and while the players have a lot of power and so does the players union, they shoot themselves in the foot with stuff like this.  He broke a rule and he had to pay.  That's the way it is in his world and while he might not like it.......there's a lot about his lot in life that is quite nice I'm sure......just not EVERYTHING

24 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Weddle never asked.

Could have been handled better, but Weddle bears culpability here as well.  He's been *.  

Eric isn't healthy, he has a pulled groin and it's a repeat injury.  There isn't time for it to get healed up and we had a Wide Receiver playing safety in the 4th qtr and over time who hadn't practiced at that position or played it since high school.  That's how desperate our secondary is.

4 players were put on IR this week so that we can bring in some defensive help.  We have 17 players on IR.  

I love Eric.  He's been amazing.  The front office told him plain and simple that they were concerned about his durability and that is why they wouldn't negotiate his contract one year ahead of deadline.  Eric got bent out of shape and acted in what I feel was a very unbecoming fashion last summer.  I'm very disappointed in him.  

I would welcome him back but not at an outrageous price and that's what he's going to want.  He's worth it IF he stays healthy and at his age that's a gamble.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad you posted because it was hard to tell from the outside looking in what was going on. I've been in management my whole life so I try to look at things from the employee's perspective to make a fair judgement but of course this scenario had a lot of stuff being said back and forth and it was hard to tell the truth. Typically its in the best interest of the organization to keep player morale high and make concessions when they can to show good will. A lot is asked of these guys especially when it comes to their health and private life etc so when an organization starts messing around placing the guy on IR when they can still play and show their talents for a future contract or help the team then I'm sure its upsetting. I know you guys have a lot of banged up guys but his claim could still be true. If they are healthy enough to play or come back they shouldn't be put on IR. Sounds like they are holding guys out and saying they are hurt when really that isn't the case if what Weddle is saying is true. Hard to tell unless your in the locker room. This incident though does sound like he was in the wrong for not asking.

27 minutes ago, Nadine said:

meh

I'm sure there is behind the scenes stuff about players and about management that we don't know about.  But this just looks like a power struggle that he cannot complain about.

Management is management and while the players have a lot of power and so does the players union, they shoot themselves in the foot with stuff like this.  He broke a rule and he had to pay.  That's the way it is in his world and while he might not like it.......there's a lot about his lot in life that is quite nice I'm sure......just not EVERYTHING

Agree....that said he was putting his side of the story out there....agree or not its his right to be heard. At first I thought that he was being mistreated but clearly he was in the wrong. The real issue is the IR stuff he is claiming....more than likely we have a disgruntled employee stretching the truth it seems...that said for a guy that has been part of the fabric of that organization and a vocal leader on the team for so long to feel that disrespected...clearly there are some issues behind the scene. 

21 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Weddle never asked.

He's out there running sprints on the side field during practice today.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He's out there running sprints on the side field during practice today.

The bigger story to me is the IR thing. He was saying that others were placed when they were healthy enough to play. These guys are playing for future contracts and San Diego is hurting their perceived value....if his story is true. Something fishy going on in San Diego...but that isn't a surprise. The team's more interested in a new start in LA.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The bigger story to me is the IR thing. He was saying that others were placed when they were healthy enough to play. These guys are playing for future contracts and San Diego is hurting their perceived value....if his story is true. Something fishy going on in San Diego...but that isn't a surprise. The team's more interested in a new start in LA.

I agree. I think that's the primary reason for his agent going public with all of this. The fine isn't nearly as interesting to me as the decision to IR him when he says he can still play.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree. I think that's the primary reason for his agent going public with all of this. The fine isn't nearly as interesting to me as the decision to IR him when he says he can still play.

A big to do that's being made by Eric and his agent to protect his reputation.  I get that.  From the team's perspective the decision has likely already been made that they're not bringing him back even if he would come back.  So with a 4-11 record they're going to look at young guys that might be replacements.  What is there to play for except honor against your top opponent?  

1 minute ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

A big to do over nothing.  The decision has likely already been made that they're not bringing him back even if he would come back.  So with a 4-11 record they're going to look at young guys that might be replacements.  What is there to play for except honor against your top opponent?  

He's a free agent. He'd be playing for a job, for his next contract, just like everyone else on the roster. I think he'd be very eager to get on the field for this final game.

If they want to deactivate him, that's fine. If they're going to bench him, cool. But when you IR someone, you're saying they're too hurt to play. According to Weddle and his agent, that's not true in this case. It's a manipulation of the rules, and I personally don't like that.

By the way, I'm not trying to pick at the Chargers front office or anything. I'm not even a little invested in this spat with Weddle and the Chargers. I'm not calling them cheaters, asking for them to be penalized, etc. I'm only saying that I don't think they should have IR'd him if -- IF -- he can still play.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's a free agent. He'd be playing for a job, for his next contract, just like everyone else on the roster. I think he'd be very eager to get on the field for this final game.

If they want to deactivate him, that's fine. If they're going to bench him, cool. But when you IR someone, you're saying they're too hurt to play. According to Weddle and his agent, that's not true in this case. It's a manipulation of the rules, and I personally don't like that.

By the way, I'm not trying to pick at the Chargers front office or anything. I'm not even a little invested in this spat with Weddle and the Chargers. I'm not calling them cheaters, asking for them to be penalized, etc. I'm only saying that I don't think they should have IR'd him if -- IF -- he can still play.

You'll notice I had edited the beginning of my original post to reflect along the lines of what you just said.  

15 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree...I think this is why he and his agent is trying to get his side of the story out. To tell future suitors that there is no reason to be scared away by him being IRed. He is trying to keep his value in the free agent market next year as high as possible...and social media is his tool to do it.