Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RB draft options

Some players I like that are possible at various points in the draft. What are your opinions?

RB
1. Paul Perkins - UCLA, rd 3/4 quick fast exciting, sometimes easier to ankle tackle
2. Alex Collins - Arkansas - rd 4, good back vision, powerful
3. Wayne Gallman - Clemson rd 3/4 - if he comes out 6'1" 215# he's going to be good.
4. Jordan Howard - IU, rd 4/6 doesn't high step a lot seems like josh Robinson 
5. Of course next year 2017 draft is the best for RB's Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Nick Chubb
6. Love Elliott however we are better served not using a 1st rd on a running back.

If we select a RB I would hope for Perkins falling to the 5-6 rd.

In the 2017 draft, I'd ***LOVE*** to see us take a RB in the 2nd round.      That is a great looking class of RB's.

I really liked the 2015 class,  the 2016 class (at this point)  doesn't have as many players that excite me,  but that could change as I learn more over the next 4 months.

That said,  in 2016,  more than anything else,  other than an OL,  I'd like the draft to again focus on defense.   We still need much more talent on that side of the ball.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In the 2017 draft, I'd ***LOVE*** to see us take a RB in the 2nd round.      That is a great looking class of RB's.

I really liked the 2015 class,  the 2016 class (at this point)  doesn't have as many players that excite me,  but that could change as I learn more over the next 4 months.

That said,  in 2016,  more than anything else,  other than an OL,  I'd like the draft to again focus on defense.   We still need much more talent on that side of the ball.

I am with you. We can get some nice pieces on D. An Edge Rusher, #2 CB for sure. Then DB's and DL is pretty deep. 

Depending on where we pick we could hit the lottery and land Smith or Jack. 

I'd love to see C handled in FA focus on D in the draft.

I really like Ngakoue at OLB and a handful of CB's. Rankin on DL. Tretilo at RG. 

I totally agree wait until 2017 for our RB. I really like that group especially Freeman. 

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I really think elliot will be a bust, I just haven't seen the physicality needed in the nfl.

I could see him being a Knowshon Moreno like player. He's a very willing blocker and even if he doesn't catch 7 passes a game, it's not like he's Melvin Gordon, he has some experience catching out of the backfield. 

9 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Prosise in the 3rd. I think he's gonna be a really good back. IMO the 2nd best in this class behind only Elliott.

I haven't watched too much of him, but what I have seen didn't look too impressive. Looked extremely average.

I like the 2017 crop WAY better than 2016's.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

I haven't watched too much of him, but what I have seen didn't look too impressive. Looked extremely average.

I like the 2017 crop WAY better than 2016's.

It doesn't look like he's coming out. Now I'm hoping for Perkins or Booker.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

It doesn't look like he's coming out. Now I'm hoping for Perkins or Booker.

I think we should focus on D and OL. We can sign a FA to pair with Gore for one more year. Boom is fine as the 3 unless we get lucky with an UDFA. The 2017 class just got even better if Prosise is going back to school. 

Perkins is, at least from a maximizing draft value perspect, a good option if we could pick him up in the 4th (or perhaps trade back in the 3rd). He looks pretty quick, but I wonder whether he'll be able increase bulk in his legs and add a little weight and retain the same speed and burst.  I think he reads his blockers and defenses good enough.  He's a good blocker out of the backfield (or at least competent, I don't remember when watching film, but I didn't think it was a sore spot).  The combine shouldn't supplant the film or anything like that, but a guy like Perkins really needs the combine to get to a more comfortable weight and display the same speed scouts see in the film.  Because he can have all the top numbers in the combine, he won't be a 3rd round guy if he goes in under 200 pounds (i.e. Perkins is not as small, but think D'Anthony Thomas).

I am actually really high on Jordan Howard.  I've watched a handful of his games and I am just not seeing a slow runner.  Now I don't think he runs the 4.40 that he was unofficially timed at with elite burst through the hole.  But I do think he is quicker than he gets credit for.  I wish I could remember how he blocked out of the backfield, but he will definitely need plenty of work running routes from the backfield if he's ever going to be a contributor.