Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Djoun Smith's future

BProland85

First off I should start by saying I haven't been able to watch every Colts game this year. With that being said, what do you see being Smith's future as a Colt? Do you see him eventually starting opposite Davis or better suited for the slot? Or is he purely a dime/depth corner? Has he progressed at all this year? I know he has dealt with injuries as has most Colts players this year. I'm just wondering if the Colts need to find a starter opposite Davis in the offseason. 

We have no idea since he hasn't played yet.  I believe his first eligible game back was against the Falcons and I don't remember hearing his name then or yet this year.

We do require replacing Toler next year, though.  Butler clearly can't fill the role.  Smith is still an unknown.  If we lose to the Texans I wouldn't mind giving him the #2 spot just to see what he can do, understanding full well he's a rookie still getting his timing back after injury.

1 hour ago, SteelDragon said:

I bet Ahmad Bradshaw has taken more snaps than our first and second draft picks combined. 

Our third round pick is on IR.

All four of Grigson's first rounders have played very little this year. 

Coincidentally, I suppose. 

Bradshaw-158 snaps before injury

Our 1st and 2nd round draft picks combined (Dorsett, Smith) 248 if you include special teams...If not then 154 combined snaps....19 for Smith....Dorsett 135

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Djoun's future could range from anything to our #2 corner to working at McDonald's.

From the little we seen from him in training camp and preseason I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter.

And that's precisely why you don't read too much into what a rookie does in training camp and pre-season.

It leads to posts like this..............   :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And that's precisely why you don't read too much into what a rookie does in training camp and pre-season.

It leads to posts like this..............   :facepalm:

But you have to admit he had as bad a traing camp & preseason as anyone could have. And then he went on IR. To see anything positive on him you have to go to his pre-draft highlight film. 

Hopefully he can do a 180 next season because we need all the db help we can get. It's still very early but he hasn't showed anything at the pro level yet.

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

But you have to admit he had as bad a traing camp & preseason as anyone could have. And then he went on IR. To see anything positive on him you have to go to his pre-draft highlight film. 

Hopefully he can do a 180 next season because we need all the db help we can get. It's still very early but he hasn't showed anything at the pro level yet.

He's barely done anything on the pro-level yet...

I think I saw a post in this thread that says he's got about 100 NFL snaps, and 81 of them are on special teams.

There's literally almost nothing to judge.......

I'm expecting good things from him....   next year.      If we get anything good the last 3 games of the regular season,  it's an unexpected bonus,   so I'm not expecting it.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's barely done anything on the pro-level yet...

I think I saw a post in this thread that says he's got about 100 NFL snaps, and 81 of them are on special teams.

There's literally almost nothing to judge.......

I'm expecting good things from him....   next year.      If we get anything good the last 3 games of the regular season,  it's an unexpected bonus,   so I'm not expecting it.

Ultimately you are right.  The sample size is not near big enough to make a definitive judgement one way or the other.  

But my gut tells me he will be a bust.  I was at training camp in August and specifically watched him.  In the practice I saw, to say he was awful is an dramatic understatement.  It wasn't just that he had a bad practice but just how out of place he looked.  Fast forward to this past week.  They go into the game without Toler and Davis gets dinged.  I think he got a grand total of one snap on a day they would seemingly need him.  

I hope I am wrong because CB is a clear position they need to address in 2016 as I suspect Toler will be cut.  

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Ultimately you are right.  The sample size is not near big enough to make a definitive judgement one way or the other.  

But my gut tells me he will be a bust.  I was at training camp in August and specifically watched him.  In the practice I saw, to say he was awful is an dramatic understatement.  It wasn't just that he had a bad practice but just how out of place he looked.  Fast forward to this past week.  They go into the game without Toler and Davis gets dinged.  I think he got a grand total of one snap on a day they would seemingly need him.  

I hope I am wrong because CB is a clear position they need to address in 2016 as I suspect Toler will be cut.  

I think he has a steep learning curve. I posted it awhile back but coming out of FAU he played against teams like Old Dominion and Rice.

He's got to get used to competing against top tier athletes.

16 hours ago, BProland85 said:

First off I should start by saying I haven't been able to watch every Colts game this year. With that being said, what do you see being Smith's future as a Colt? Do you see him eventually starting opposite Davis or better suited for the slot? Or is he purely a dime/depth corner? Has he progressed at all this year? I know he has dealt with injuries as has most Colts players this year. I'm just wondering if the Colts need to find a starter opposite Davis in the offseason. 

lmao! The guy hasn`t played. No one has a Clue! Keep wondering. Good grief!

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he has a steep learning curve. I posted it awhile back but coming out of FAU he played against teams like Old Dominion and Rice.

He's got to get used to competing against top tier athletes.

Come on now....

TY Hilton and countless other players went to smaller schools and made the adjustment.

It's hard,  but it's not THAT hard......    if you can play and take good coaching, then you can make it in the NFL.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on now....

TY Hilton and countless other players went to smaller schools and made the adjustment.

It's hard,  but it's not THAT hard......    if you can play and take good coaching, then you can make it in the NFL.

CB is a finesse position though. After QB it's probably the hardest position to learn.

So it's worse when you come from a small school and haven't competed against NFL level talent.

I got the impression from comments Pagano made after the draft that this was one of "his" picks. He loved his swagger. Loved his attitude. Loved that he said he was going to be the best. With Pagano no lock to return, I can see the organization giving DJ another year to show something, but if next training camp looks anything like this preseason,  I don't think they'll hesitate to cut their losses if the new coach isn't a fan.