Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dalton Likely out for year with fractured thumb

Austin Leonard

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

Can't he come back from a broken thumb? Is it that bad?

I feel horrible for them, they looked to have a real shot this year at the big one.

The injury is right on his throwing hand/thumb. It must be pretty bad. He came out for the 2nd half in a cast and street clothes. During the after game presser one of the Bengals coaches or spokesman interrupted his reply as to how long he'll be out & said they didn't know. I  couldn't tell who it was from his voice.

It left the entire room speechless for a couple of seconds.

1 minute ago, ColtRider said:

The injury is right on his throwing hand/thumb. It must be pretty bad. He came out for the 2nd half in a cast and street clothes. During the after game presser one of the Bengals coaches or spokesman interrupted his reply as to how long he'll be out. I couldn't tell who it was from his voice.

It left the entire room speechless for a couple of seconds.

If it's the throwing hand yeah it's a big problem. If it was a sprain thats one thing too but they say fracture. 

Ouch.

Bengals QBs get bad luck vs. the Steelers over the years......

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

If it's the throwing hand yeah it's a big problem. If it was a sprain thats one thing too but they say fracture. 

Ouch.

Bengals QBs get bad luck vs. the Steelers over the years......

The Bengals were about to tie the Steelers @ 7 when Dalton threw a wounded spiral at the feet of one of the Steeler lineman & he intercepted it. Dalton tripped him up and his thumb hit the lineman's thigh pad pretty hard. That was the break to his thumb. 1st quarter. Downhill from there.

12 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

The Bengals were about to tie the Steelers @ 7 when Dalton threw a wounded spiral at the feet of one of the Steeler lineman & he intercepted it. Dalton tripped him up and his thumb hit the lineman's thigh pad pretty hard. That was the break to his thumb. 1st quarter. Downhill from there.

Almost reminds me of 2005 when Palmer got nailed vs. the Steelers.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I feel horrible for them, they looked to have a real shot this year at the big one.

That cast looks bad but if he sits 3 weeks and they win the first game, I would think he can at least try to come back in a month.

Guess it depends on exactly what they mean by 'fractured'

Killer for the Bengals. AJ McCarron compared his situation to Brady post-game. I liked that. He seems confident that he can get the job done. We will see. He had some nice moments vs the Steelers. With a full week of practice, he should be better. Bengals are at San Fran next week.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Its not official that he is out for the year and he is not on IR...yet

Exactly. If he can be back for the Broncos game because it is a key tie-breaker game, that is all the Bengals want.

A.J.Green was out for the playoff game last year and that hurt them. As long as Dalton is back and throwing after this week, they could be fine.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Exactly. If he can be back for the Broncos game because it is a key tie-breaker game, that is all the Bengals want.

A.J.Green was out for the playoff game last year and that hurt them. As long as Dalton is back and throwing after this week, they could be fine.

Bengals haven't wrapped up a playoff spot yet...they need more than that. They have to win at least 1 more game and I see no way Dalton is back in a couple weeks or they could be on the outside looking in. Pittsburgh can win the divison if they win out and Cincy loses out...and that is a decent possibility with how Denvers offense looked inept yesterday and the kind of play McCarron had. Kinda sad because I was rooting for Cincy.

Just now, dgambill said:

Bengals haven't wrapped up a playoff spot yet...they need more than that. They have to win at least 1 more game or they could be on the outside looking in. Pittsburgh can win the divison if they win out...and that is a decent possibility with how Denvers offense looked inept yesterday. Kinda sad because I was rooting for Cincy.

They beat the 49ers next game and they win. Even without Dalton, they played well defensively to give up only FGs to Big Ben and the Steelers for the most part. That team is solid enough to beat the 49ers with McCarron on the road and the Ravens at home with McCarron, IMO.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They beat the 49ers next game and they win. Even without Dalton, they played well defensively to give up only FGs to Big Ben and the Steelers for the most part. That team is solid enough to beat the 49ers with McCarron on the road and the Ravens at home with McCarron, IMO.

I hope so...I'm rooting for them...but I'm not so sure honestly. Divisional game won't be easy even with a decimated Ravens who would love to knock them out of the playoffs...and SF....Gabbert vs McCarron???? Toss up lol.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hope so...I'm rooting for them...but I'm not so sure honestly. Divisional game won't be easy even with a decimated Ravens who would love to knock them out of the playoffs...and SF....Gabbert vs McCarron???? Toss up lol.

Missouri Tigers vs Alabama Crimson Tide, it would be like NCAA FBS playoffs, lol :) when those QBs were playing.

But then, McCarron has this going against him:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/aj-mccarron-cincinnati-bengals-no-alabama-quarterback-won-nfl-game-since-1987-rutledge#cx_ab_test_id=19&cx_ab_test_variant=cx_advanced_v1&cx_art_pos=1&cx_navSource=arttop&cx_tag=socreg&cx_rec_type=trend&cx_ctrl_comp_grp=true&cxrecs_s

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Honestly...I don't get it....Alabama gets the best of the best every year...crème of the crop...in fact most SEC teams do....and yet its almost impossible to find a decent pro qb coming out of that conference. Just kind of a sad statement for the conference. Also because you brought up the FBS I'd also like to see teams have to travel to a host site in the north. I think its a disadvantage to teams like Ohio St., Iowa, Michigan St. that these games are all played in warm climate or track stadiums as the SEC and other major conferences are in warm weather climates. It plays right into their advantage as they are used to warm weather games etc. I know its about the money etc but a team like Michigan St or Ohio St if they have the higher seed shouldn't have to travel so far or give up an advantage by playing to the other teams strength on a fast surface or perfect weather every year.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly...I don't get it....Alabama gets the best of the best every year...crème of the crop...in fact most SEC teams do....and yet its almost impossible to find a decent pro qb coming out of that conference. Just kind of a sad statement for the conference. Also because you brought up the FBS I'd also like to see teams have to travel to a host site in the north. I think its a disadvantage to teams like Ohio St., Iowa, Michigan St. that these games are all played in warm climate or track stadiums as the SEC and other major conferences are in warm weather climates. It plays right into their advantage as they are used to warm weather games etc. I know its about the money etc but a team like Michigan St or Ohio St if they have the higher seed shouldn't have to travel so far or give up an advantage by playing to the other teams strength on a fast surface or perfect weather every year.

If it is a defensive team like the Spartans, playing indoors is actually an advantage for their pass rushers, IMO. Playing outside is an advantage for running teams, and both the Spartans and Crimson Tide could be categorized as such. 

Spartans have been very competitive in the Big Ten championships played in Indy indoors in fact. Kirk Cousins lost one to Russell Wilson in a close one but other than that, they took down Urban Meyer's Buckeyes one year and now they took down Kirk Ferentz's Hawkeyes.

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If it is a defensive team like the Spartans, playing indoors is actually an advantage for their pass rushers, IMO. Playing outside is an advantage for running teams, and both the Spartans and Crimson Tide could be categorized as such. 

Spartans have been very competitive in the Big Ten championships played in Indy indoors in fact. Kirk Cousins lost one to Russell Wilson in a close one but other than that, they took down Urban Meyer's Buckeyes one year and now they took down Kirk Ferentz's Hawkeyes.

I understand...just like to see these guys play in the elements....have Alabama or Clemson or Florida St have to go into NY or Chicago and play a physical Michigan St. team and neutralize some of that speed. I mean Big Ten teams are built to play in the elements more so...not just full of track guys like Baylor or Florida etc etc. I do think Alabama could play about anywhere but some of these other teams...be nice to see the home team actually have home field advantage.

26 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's rough, Dalton had a ton to prove in the playoffs and he won't get that chance now.

Indeed...he actually had some healthy weapons too. Eifert and AJ and that receiving core was finally healthy going into the playoffs and they have a good running attack. They were the only other balanced team going into the playoffs that I felt could strongly give the Patriots a run for their money in the AFC.

This reminds me of the playoff game between Cincy and Pittsburgh.  It was the year Pittsburgh won the SB...the "Nick Harper" year.  Steelers took the Bengals out of the running.

The hit was different, though, as Dalton was trying to make a tackle and messed up his thumb.  Pittsburgh's Kimo Van Olfen (spelling?) went for Palmer's knees.  

On 12/14/2015 at 8:35 PM, Jules said:

It's possible, depending upon type of fracture.  In any event, Cincy may have to win a game or 2 in post season before that small chance of Dalton returning, I believe.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well, Alabama does spend over 53.5 million dollars every year on just football. They don't spend a lick of that on education. No, it's not fair at all, to anyone, especially the people there for academics. 

College football is a religion in the south. Some high schools exist purely to breed football players alone. 

The best QB to come out of the SEC is Cam Newton, and probably always will be for a long long time. 

10 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Well, Alabama does spend over 53.5 million dollars every year on just football. They don't spend a lick of that on education. No, it's not fair at all, to anyone, especially the people there for academics. 

College football is a religion in the south. Some high schools exist purely to breed football players alone. 

The best QB to come out of the SEC is Cam Newton, and probably always will be for a long long time. 

This post is wrong on multiple levels.    

But Cam Newton isn't the best QB to come out of the SEC.

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Fran Tarkenton

Bart Starr.

Just off the top of my head

18 hours ago, Bogie said:

Indeed.  Florida included.  And even the smaller towns (like many in Florida, such as mine- Fort Myers) that do provide good education in the school system produce NFL quality players.  Here's just a few that came right out of Fort Myers and into the NFL-  Deion Sanders, Jevon Kearse, Sammy Watkins, Nate Allen, Anthony Henry and more.  Even private Christian schools in Fort Myers produce some huge football talent.  Witness Corey Lynch who went to Evangelical Christian School in Fort Myers, married Billy Grahams granddaughter; Cissie Graham Lynch, and was drafted in round 6 by the Bengals and was signed to the Colts squad as a safety in late November 2013.

The state of Florida is ripe with promising local high school football player talent, and the University of Florida, FSU, and the U of Miami benefit greatly.  Even to a lesser extent, other colleges like USF (Jason Pierre-Paul), UCF  (Blake Bortles), FIU (TY Hilton), and Florida Atlantic (D'Joun Smith) find local NFL caliber talent from within their home state of Florida on their rosters.

And St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale is a NFL caliber player developing High School powerhouse.

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

This post is wrong on multiple levels.    

But Cam Newton isn't the best QB to come out of the SEC.

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Fran Tarkenton

Bart Starr.

Just off the top of my head

I have no clue about the money being poured into the athletics....possibly true...I'm sure the football also generates many times more than that for the school to use as well (buildings, computers, faculty etc etc). I think we were talking about just recently though as far as qbs...like last 10 yrs when the SEC started its road to dominance in college football. Cam is the most notable for sure. Otherwise its like Matt Stafford and Jay Cutler and Johnny Manziel....even Tannehill and I think Gabbert were with A&M and Missouri when they were in the Big 12. But I would consider most of those guys marginal talents...you do have to go back to Eli to find a true franchise qb....even if Jay and Matt get paid like ones. It used to be up to Spurrier to spit out qb talent but those guys never really translated to the pros for some reason. All that said the note about an Alabama qb is particularly astounding considering the rich history they have especially in the last dozen years....and they still don't have an NFL caliber qb on their roster.