Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would it take for Pagano/Grigson to save their jobs?

RockThatBlue

I think Grigson is in more trouble than Pagano.  They both have their saving graces.  I like that Grigson takes risks on players and finds quality players in the unlikliest of places.  Pagano has been too controlled to be able to be the coach he wants to be.  Now that he has Chuds running the offense, i think he will be able to do more of what he wanted. 

Grigson needs to stop micromanaging Pagano and let him perform all the coaches duties that are typically afforded to coaches.  When it comes to player signings and draftings Grigson has more say, but still needs to work with Pagano.

If Grigson is gone so will the rest of the coaches.  New GM's like to bring in their own guys that they trust and can rely on to make sure the GM keeps his job.  I wont say it never happens I am sure it has...  But dont expect Pags back next season.  

I am not sold on the fact he actually wants to be back working for Grigson anyway

No playoffs, both gone.  Playoff w/first round exit, both gone.  2nd weekend playoff exit, Pagango only.  AFCCG then exit, both stay. Superbowl win or lose, both stay.

But all of this is contingent on how many additional coaching gaffes happen.  Pags could be in the bread line way before the above scenarios.

As already stated, we don't want them to save their jobs...we just want them to say goodbye.

The team really needs a new direction and you don't get that by retaining any of the people who made major contributions to the problems.

There might be a job for Chud if the new guy wants him.

Nothing. They're gone

Would like for us to keep Chud though. Promote him to HC and then let him pick his staff

Then pick a GM who's okay with doing nothing but drafting and signing people. Nothing else. No effect on coaches decision or nothing

Just fill the roster with the best talent

I'd say we have to reach the AFC Championship, which, at this point,  looks like it would be against NE.

I'd say we have to at least give them a very competitive game.      A one score game.     A game that goes down to the wire.

Short of that,  there's no way of knowing what Irsay will do......      this is one of the stranger football seasons I've seen in nearly 50 years of watching the sport.

Nothing. They're gone

Would like for us to keep Chud though. Promote him to HC and then let him pick his staff

Then pick a GM who's okay with doing nothing but drafting and signing people. Nothing else. No effect on coaches decision or nothing

Just fill the roster with the best talent

Why?  What has he done to deserve to stay?

As already stated, we don't want them to save their jobs...we just want them to say goodbye.

The team really needs a new direction and you don't get that by retaining any of the people who made major contributions to the problems.

There might be a job for Chud if the new guy wants him.

Speak for yourself

Grigson deserves to be gone just for spending Irsay's millions on a bunch of old duds and instantly turning the Colts into the oldest team in the league....just think of it, the OLDEST team in the league...unfreakin believable!

This doesn't even take into account his failure to address the O-line...the reason being that he thought the O-line was fine, which speaks volumes about his poor judgement in such matters, too poor to be a NFL GM.

Simply put, Grigson is still a scout...he never became a NFL GM.

...and sadly, Chuck was never able to become a NFL HC.

Grigson deserves to be gone just for spending Irsay's millions on a bunch of old duds and instantly turning the Colts into the oldest team in the league....just think of it, the OLDEST team in the league...unfreakin believable!

This doesn't even take into account his failure to address the O-line...the reason being that he thought the O-line was fine, which speaks volumes about his poor judgement in such matters, too poor to be a NFL GM.

Simply put, Grigson is still a scout...he never became a NFL GM.

...and sadly, Chuck was never able to become a NFL HC.

So three 11-5 seasons were what? I guess Pagano forgot how to coach and Grigson didn't know what he was doing when he helped put those teams together? So the Colts have a bad season and all three of those seasons are forgotten? As far as the O-line is concerned it wasn't from the lack of trying. Even the great Hoody had an off season and he didn't get fired. The knee jerk reaction is very strong in this forum.

Just torched the #1 defense, with a QB who's kidney was lacerated

And is about to have this team win out their schedule. Need I say more?

nope   that answer right there tells me all I need to know 

So Luck started and played the game with a lacerated kidney?  How did that D look against KC?  Has Denver played anyone to deserve that #1 D ranking?  Dont say Packers, they have sucked for 3 straight weeks

Win out?????  hahahahahahahaha.....    I am betting  7-9    but I honestly hope you are right and I wish I shared you crazy crazy optimism

He's good at his job

Cleveland didnt think so.....    BTW up until the Denver game....  what was his job?  Assistant to Pags?  Assistant Regional Manager or Assistant to the Regional manager?

Should he have told Pags NOOOOOOOOO!!!!  to the fake punt?

just saying... let see the guy put together a string of good things before we name him the next HC....

nope that answer right there tells me all I need to know

So Luck started and played the game with a lacerated kidney? How did that D look against KC? Has Denver played anyone to deserve that #1 D ranking? Dont say Packers, they have sucked for 3 straight weeks

Win out????? hahahahahahahaha..... I am betting 7-9 but I honestly hope you are right and I wish I shared you crazy crazy optimism

Not just one game, he was solid before he got here. DQ Jackson is one of the many players from that Browns team who was angry he got fired that soon

If it isn't Sean Payton being the next HC, don't want them

Why?  What has he done to deserve to stay?

Chud moved the ball quite well against Wade Phillips who leaves a lot to be desired as a HC but he's always been a formidable DC where ever he's been. 

Plus, given how swiftly we dismissed Pep Hamilton, I wanna see what Chud does with his own wrinkles on offense beholden to no other coordinator & their formation schemes. 

I need to see how Pags & Chud mesh together down the stretch before I can determine who stays & who goes. I just have a feeling that Irsay is going to dismantle this whole regime & hit the reset button no matter what. 

Jimmy's just angry that Luck is hurt & he's not progressing fast enough toward a title. He's not blaming Luck for that but Grigs & Pags for wasting money on WRs vs linemen. He likes our defensive tenacity though I think. 

one game?????  Denver blew that game.....  wait  Talib blew that game, otherwise we were beat

You can't say the one play that Talib made determined that game. That is predicting the future and that holds no weight. You can say Denver blew that game without giving credit to the Colts all you care to but that is being narrow minded IMO. You negativity clouds your ability to see.

Not just one game, he was solid before he got here. DQ Jackson is one of the many players from that Browns team who was angry he got fired that soon

If it isn't Sean Payton being the next HC, don't want them

I'd love Sean too TK but according to Bogie, the Saints have him locked into an extended deal. So, I'm afraid that isn't going to materialize my friend. 

Besides, Drew Brees did him a huge favor by signing with Louisiana & winning their only Championship after Hurricane Katrina. He's not abandoning Drew for Chewbacca when Mr. Boiler Maker essentially secured Payton's lucrative contract. 

I'm with you 100% on wishing INDY could interview him though because he's always been committed to a strong ground game. 

Cleveland didnt think so.....    BTW up until the Denver game....  what was his job?  Assistant to Pags?  Assistant Regional Manager or Assistant to the Regional manager?

Should he have told Pags NOOOOOOOOO!!!!  to the fake punt?

just saying... let see the guy put together a string of good things before we name him the next HC....

Nobody looks stellar in Cleveland. That's more a rite of passage failing at Cleveland as opposed to winning games in that city. Who hasn't been dismissed in  "The Dog Pound?" It's a badge on honor to me vs a glaring indictment CF. That franchise has been incompetent for decades like the egyptian Curse Of The Pharaohs man. Destined to always be miserable & irrelevant. 

I'm with you on holding off on promoting Chud to HC though CF. Way too early to pull that trigger. 

Just to be clear, unlike Dallas, I'd love to see the Browns have some form of modest respect. I don't hate Cleveland; I just have no idea how to fix that franchise. I actually feel sorry for that fan base & Joe Thomas. 

First of all, I would be stunned if these two guys wanted to work together again after this year.

Minimally, I believe this team would have to make a deep and impressive run into the play-offs for Pags to keep his job. Last season, the Colts advanced to the AFCCG and Pagano failed to secure a long term contract. What I read into that is Irsay does not believe in Pagano. Perhaps Grigs doesn't either. 11-5 seasons in the AFC South will not cut it, which is great for Colts fans- we have good ownership.

Grigson, I believe, will be here next year if:

1. Colts are competitive in the play-offs and win at least one game.

2. Dorsett looks really good the rest of the season.

3. The O-line improves

4. Grigson can find a HC replacement that will work with him

Grig's will keep his nose out of the Offense because he isn't going to run over Chud like he did the clueless one. I don't recall reports he was calling shots on D.

The thing that fixes everything is winning. If Pagano Chud and Manusky can win. Grig's sticks to doing his job and letting them do theirs. I don't see change a such a cetanty as everyone here assumes.

What happens in January could make the first 2 months of the season seem like a very long time ago.

I think Chud as OC is going to make a big difference. He will understand every play isn't for a td. Field position some drives just getting a couple of first downs and letting the best P in the league flip the field is better than 3 and out trying to get something big. I know he will committ to the run. Pep was bad in so many ways.

It will come down to winning. Cleaning house and starting over isn't always the best thing. I'm not sure it is in this case. Time will tell starting Sunday in Atlanta.

I think for both of their sake, they need to co-exist.  Because if a new GM is brought in, they will want their own coach.  If a new coach like Saban is brought in, they will want all the power.  So it is better these guys work together.

I predict what will happen is the Colts will really surprise in the playoffs.  Pagano will be vindicated because with his guy, Chud, calling the plays, and his O-Line set and things going how he wanted, they will succeed.  I think Pagano will get a new contract but one that gives him more power.