Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the NFL create a minors league?

Zoltan

What do you think about the NFL creating a Minors league that runs the same rules as the NFL, they could place teams in smaller markets and basically have summer football where players that have raw talent can be sent down by a team to learn the fundamentals and progress.

I think in the end you would be getting a better product in the NFL by having better players and coaches, because these days it seems college football and Pro football is quite the leap for any college player (especially QBs) to make if there school didn't run an Pro style team and it would also give a potential head coaches a chance to develop there trade. It would be kind of like NFL europe. I think it could strengthen the fan base in smaller cities like portland or toronto etc. 

What do you think about the NFL creating a Minors league that runs the same rules as the NFL, they could place teams in smaller markets and basically have summer football where players that have raw talent can be sent down by a team to learn the fundamentals and progress.

I think in the end you would be getting a better product in the NFL by having better players and coaches, because these days it seems college football and Pro football is quite the leap for any college player (especially QBs) to make if there school didn't run an Pro style team and it would also give a potential head coaches a chance to develop there trade. It would be kind of like NFL europe. I think it could strengthen the fan base in smaller cities like portland or toronto etc. 

I would love to see it, I am not fond of the way the college football is going.

Cant be done. the injury rate of NFL players would make player costs far too high.

Players would to get severance pay and pensions...if you lost 10 players to season ending injuries you'd have to sign 10 more

You would have to pay real salaries..

You would go broke quickly

Cant be done. the injury rate of NFL players would make player costs far too high.Players would to get severance pay and pensions...if you lost 10 players to season ending injuries you'd have to sign 10 moreYou would have to pay real salaries..You would go broke quickly

Hey, just put the teams in places like Mississippi and print money.

yes, tax for new stadiums. plus when would people watch. Saturday? CFB is on

There are plenty of facilities that are already in place to use for minor league football. The UFL used already built stadiums with a capacity of 20,000 - 35,000 people. There would be no need to push for new stadiums when there are already quality venues in desirable markets. I think the NFL would probably aim for Tuesday or Wednesday nights. Is it really going to be that hard to compete for television ratings on those nights with two .500 MAC teams or a 3-5 Sun Belt team facing a 7-1 conference opponent? No lower level football league has had success since the USFL, but none have had the Shield's brand attached to it either. 

Somebody started a professional minor league -

http://www.gofxfl.com/home.html

It only seems to be in NY, and just 3 teams.  Minimal schedule too.  josh Freeman is playing in it.  Supposedly a couple guys made it out and on to NFL teams too.

That is a new league for this year, I live near the HV Fort home stadium and I can tell you no one around here is talking about this.

You use an established venues in various cities that still have a good market (For example with some team moving to LA they could put a minor league team there, Portland, Toronto, OKC, Las Vegas would all be good locations ) you could have each team connected to an NFL franchise or be separate. They could do a spring summer schedule with under 10 games. I think the key will be having the NFLs backing because it would instantly give them an media outlet and promotion.

The problem with the CFL and Arena is that the rules are different so it develops coaches and players differently and just by looking at recent college QBs these days 90% are not NFL ready but what if you could sign a QB from a minor league that has been playing a pro scheme and had NFL style coaches developing them. Basically you see a lot of raw talent fail these days because they've been development in college was for a college offense and to lean on the strengths, this would create a minor league that would help develop a WRs route running or a QB with his footwork or a Linebacker with coverage.

Lastly I think a coach getting the opportunity to be in a minor league would help him hone his head coach craft, because the transition from Coordinator to Head Coach or College Coach to Head Coach is a tough transition.

There are plenty of leagues to play in for guys wanting a shot in the NFL there is a larger shortage of players than teams .

Well if its under the umbrella of the NFL I think there won't be a shortage of players just for the fact that people will want to get on a team, because they know that they will have a better chance of being called up. That does bring up a good point that I don't think they could do 32 teams probably like 10 to 12