Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Got to give Grigson credit

Timo1

It's been the culmination of all the hits over time if you ask me.  Maybe Luck's injury on the scramble was the straw that broke the camel's back, but he's taken plenty of hits because of poor OL play as well.

That still doesnt explain Tony Romo's injuries, behind the undisputed best O-line in Football...

Exactly why the Colts don't need to spend their first round pick on an Olineman.  Even if you believe the Colts need to upgrade the guard, center or RT position (of which I don't believe that) you don't spend a first round pick on those type of players very often.  Starting quality/future probowl interior lineman and RTs can be had in rounds 2-4 regularly.

That is true, as long as they draft o-line in the first half of the draft I would be fine with that.  As far as the first round pick, just depends where the Colts are picking.  If it's really early, call me crazy, I wouldn't mind a RB with the class coming out this year.  But a pass rushing LB would definitely be top of the list for needs.  

Based off of what I am seeing right now, I'd love to see the draft order go something like this, no matter where we finish (preferably in February...):

Rd 1 - OLB (pass rusher)
Rd 2 - CB (a taller and rangey guy - Toler isnt cutting it and we need more depth)

Rd 3 - OL (Gaurd)

Rd 4 - DL (any position really for development / depth)

Rd 5 - Whoever is the BPA for development

Rd 6 - Whoever is the BPA for development

Rd 7 - Whoever is the BPA for development

It'll be interesting to revisit this thread after Hasselbeck starts these next few games and doesn't take a sack or any big hits.

It's so funny to me that people are acting like there are just all these top notch offensive linemen out there ripe for the picking, and Grigson just isn't bringing them in, it's such a played-out narrative. We should be happy with the 2 really good o-linemen that we do have instead of complaining about not having guys that were never available to the Colts in the first place.

Luck is every bit as responsible for protecting himself, and he got a little reckless in the Denver game. As well as he played on Sunday, he still refuses to slide, still holds on to the ball for too long, and that's on him, not the line. And before anyone says "well if the line was better he wouldn't have to scramble," just stop. On the play he was injured, he had a solid 5 seconds to get rid of the ball. But Denver's secondary had everything covered, and instead of throwing it away, Luck took off running and took on 2 defenders head-on.

It'll be interesting to revisit this thread after Hasselbeck starts these next few games and doesn't take a sack or any big hits.

It's so funny to me that people are acting like there are just all these top notch offensive linemen out there ripe for the picking, and Grigson just isn't bringing them in, it's such a played-out narrative. We should be happy with the 2 really good o-linemen that we do have instead of complaining about not having guys that were never available to the Colts in the first place.

Luck is every bit as responsible for protecting himself, and he got a little reckless in the Denver game. As well as he played on Sunday, he still refuses to slide, still holds on to the ball for too long, and that's on him, not the line. And before anyone says "well if the line was better he wouldn't have to scramble," just stop. On the play he was injured, he had a solid 5 seconds to get rid of the ball. But Denver's secondary had everything covered, and instead of throwing it away, Luck took off running and took on 2 defenders head-on.

^ This..... so much this......

I could be happy with the first rd pick being a defensive front seven pick and an O lineman in the second.  :)

Good post.

I wouldn't mind that either.  Rush LB in the 1st and a RT in the 2nd. (I wanted Havenstein in the last draft but

For me, unless someone like a Davin Joseph (pre injury) or Rodney Hudson type player falls to the Colts in the 1st or 2nd round, I'd like to see them look to replace Lbers in the 1st two rounds.  Pass Rush in the 1st and ILB in the 2nd.

But I am also of the opinion that if the Colts go into 2016 with AC/Mewhort/Holmes/Thornton/Retiz as the starting oline, they will have a very good oline.

Exactly, he's been injured since the beginning of this season, he's just been playing through it.  Now he has reached the breaking point.  The line has been playing better as of late, but he got hurt in those first two games when the line was non existent.  

A couple of things:

• There is no evidence that Luck sustained any injuries in the 1st two weeks.  None, that is just an assumption that people make.
  • The line those 1st two weeks was bad.  That is why they changed the LG, RG and RT.  people act like they just stuck with the same bad lineup and they didn't, changing 60% of your oline between week 2 and week 3 is a pretty big deal.

A couple of things:

• There is no evidence that Luck sustained any injuries in the 1st two weeks.  None, that is just an assumption that people make.
  • The line those 1st two weeks was bad.  That is why they changed the LG, RG and RT.  people act like they just stuck with the same bad lineup and they didn't, changing 60% of your oline between week 2 and week 3 is a pretty big deal.

Well, can't prove he was injured in those first two games, but he was injured in game 3.  It's very hard to prove if he went into game 3 vs the Titans injured or if that was when he got the injury. 

I never said they didn't change the O-line in game 3, I am more than aware of that. Also, I did say the "first two games when the line was non existent"  so that would go along with your second point. 

This O-line is far from great, and probably not even good, but Pep was the main problen. One game with Chud showed that to be true. The problem for this franchise now, with Luck injured, is you can't evalute Chud and Luck together for the remainder of the season. It will be hard to get a real reading on anything - the performance of the O-line or whatever. Their entire body of work on tape will be with either Pep calling the plays or a 40 year old backup behind center. Plus, in two months, you will likely have new management and a new coaching staff making these decisions. That said, I'm fairly certain Irsay will instruct the next GM to make building an elite O-line the highest of priorities.

Yeah, Im with jvan...

By the way... go ask Jerry Jones over in Dallas if having the best O-line in the NFL is a guarantee that your QB wont get injured.... :facepalm:

I'm so sick of hearing this dumb Romo excuse. Romo has been injury prone for idk how long. Luck has been smashed the most over the past 4 years and didn't get hurt til this season it's because the o line let him get liked the first 3 seasons and it destroyed his body. It's football I get that but if your gonna try and use another player to prove a point don't pick the most injury prone QB in the NFL. Romo would get injured even with a brick wall built around him.

It's been the culmination of all the hits over time if you ask me. Maybe Luck's injury on the scramble was the straw that broke the camel's back, but he's taken plenty of hits because of poor OL play as well.

exactly and like I just posted idk what's with the Romo crap that guys has always been hurt. Luck has been hit non stop and just this season finally get hurt and missed time

exactly and like I just posted idk what's with the Romo crap that guys has always been hurt. Luck has been hit non stop and just this season finally get hurt and missed time

Yeah I agree in that I don't know what romo has to do with it.  For one, Dallas' line is a very good run blocking line, but they're not the undisputed best pass blocking team.  Last year, they were middle of the road in sacks given up (Football Outsiders had them at 16th with an adjusted sack rate of 6.1%, this year they are 23rd with a 6.9% sack rate).

Second, all guys have different responses to nfl hits.  Soem guys can take more of a beating while others can't.  There's no disputing that Luck is the most hit QB dating back to his rookie season.  While some of that blame lies on Luck, some blame can absolutely be placed on the OL.  I think we can also point to Pep as a contributor in that as well.  There's too many factors, but the bottom line is, it's no one's fault in particular, and at the same time, i'ts everyone's fault.

You didn't say it, but you implied it.

The offensive line may not be the greatest one ever, but they did their job against the #1 defense. The most brutal hits Andrew took that game was when he scrambled out the pocket

How many hits has he taken the last 4 years behind that line I'm sure where in the top 3 in that area

It's been the culmination of all the hits over time if you ask me.  Maybe Luck's injury on the scramble was the straw that broke the camel's back, but he's taken plenty of hits because of poor OL play as well.

Yeah, Im with jvan...

By the way... go ask Jerry Jones over in Dallas if having the best O-line in the NFL is a guarantee that your QB wont get injured....  :facepalm:

Go ask Jerry if hill trade his O-line for the Colts O-line :lol:

I'm so sick of hearing this dumb Romo excuse. Romo has been injury prone for idk how long. Luck has been smashed the most over the past 4 years and didn't get hurt til this season it's because the o line let him get liked the first 3 seasons and it destroyed his body. It's football I get that but if your gonna try and use another player to prove a point don't pick the most injury prone QB in the NFL. Romo would get injured even with a brick wall built around him.

Thank's some Colt fan's don't see the whole picture

Hits build up.

Romo got injured quite easily because he was getting drilled in the past.

Same as Ben.....

Same as Rodgers......

Now it's the same as Luck. Oakland somehow did it right with Carr.

LOL.

First, kidney lacerations and abdominal tears aren't gradual injuries.

Second, the Raiders did something right??? Wow. What the Raiders did 'right' is suck for a decade and stack up a bunch of high draft picks, blowing half of them along the way. Great model to follow there...