Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Got to give Grigson credit

Timo1

He at least got a capable back qb. Polian never did that in all of mannings years. Sure sorgie held a clipboard better then painter but he never won a start.

Technically but not really true...

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/coltshighlights/2005week17cardinals.htm

Peyton got a token start in week 16 of the 2005 season to keep his streak of eight consecutive seasons with 16 starts alive. He went 3 and out on his only drive of the game and Sorgi took over on the next series and quarterbacked the Colts to a 17-13 victory over the Cardinals.  For practical purposes, Sorgi played the whole game and got the win. 

He at least got a capable back qb. Polian never did that in all of mannings years. Sure sorgie held a clipboard better then painter but he never won a start.

Have to give him credit also for the GREAT offensive line he put around luck I'm just surprised it took this long for Luck to get injured. :facepalm:

Not true about Sorgi and not true about Polian never having a good back-up for Manning.  In his early career, Polian dd the same thing Grigson has done, he brought in veteran QBs like Steve Walsh and Mark Rypian.  It's just Manning never missed a snap until 2001 when he missed one snap with a broken jaw.

Have to give him credit also for the GREAT offensive line he put around luck I'm just surprised it took this long for Luck to get injured. :facepalm:

Ironically happens with the best o line assembled around luck in the 4 years he has been here. 

Look, the o line is the 12th best in the league and gives him the 4th longest time to throw the ball according to pff. It also says Luck takes the 3rd longest time to get rid of the ball.

I'm going to make a proclamation right here, right now that throughout Luck's career until he hits his mid 30s, no matter how good the O line is, people are going to say he has a bad o line. That's just the way he plays, and no coaching is going to get rid of the playmaker inside him.

That's the reality all colts fans will have to come to terms to.

Ironically happens with the best o line assembled around luck in the 4 years he has been here. 

Look, the o line is the 12th best in the league and gives him the 4th longest time to throw the ball according to pff. It also says Luck takes the 3rd longest time to get rid of the ball.

I'm going to make a proclamation right here, right now that throughout Luck's career until he hits his mid 30s, no matter how good the O line is, people are going to say he has a bad o line. That's just the way he plays, and no coaching is going to get rid of the playmaker inside him.

You are absolutely right.  Just how they usually said Peyton had a good Oline here because he wouldn't get sacked much. But those comments have as much to do with Peyton getting the ball out fast and Luck holding it longer.  If Peyton from 2005 was behind this line, he would never get touched.

You are absolutely right.  Just how they usually said Peyton had a good Oline here because he wouldn't get sacked much. But those comments have as much to do with Peyton getting the ball out fast and Luck holding it longer.  If Peyton from 2005 was behind this line, he would never get touched.

Just take a look at the two lines this past week. Peyton a 39 year old playing behind a terrible OL in Denver but he still gets rid of the ball quickly to limit his sacks....and yet he faced a very weak pass rushing team in the Colts and still had about as much pressure on him as Luck did against the best pass rush in football. Now Luck took some hits but that was him holding the ball. There is a difference...a big one...and when Luck learns to read defenses at a Peyton/Tom level we will see him put it all together....getting the ball out quickly and on time and take fewer sacks and force fewer turnovers.

I have to agree with lennymore24 here...while there has been some bad O-line play this year, since the reshuffle the guys have been coming through much better...in the run and in the pass.  Luck needs to protect himself a lot more.  Man I hope there are no complications from this injury!  Luck, you're a stud man but watch some tape on Rogers...when he scrambles he gets down well before the lick comes.  I'm willing to bet it wasn't the pressure in the pocket that did his kidney in...it was the scrambles into the Denver line-backing core. 

Yeah they said it because he didn't get sacked much and because... well he had some good offensive lines in front of him.  Glenn, Meadows, Saturday, Scott, DeMulling, Diem, Steve McKinney, Lilja, early years with Mandarich and Leeuwenburg... those guys could ball.

According to pff........

1. Luck got injured on that scramble when he got folded in half. Then threw the TD to Bradshaw

2. Romo has the best offensive line in the NFL, didn't stop him from getting broke up did it?

Stop using the "if we had a good oline we'd be ok". Injuries happen at any time, anywhere.

I'd Peyton had Arians and pep for 4 years and this Oline Peyton would have been broken in half. People need to stop acting like all offenses are the same.

1. Luck got injured on that scramble when he got folded in half. Then threw the TD to Bradshaw

2. Romo has the best offensive line in the NFL, didn't stop him from getting broke up did it?

Stop using the "if we had a good oline we'd be ok". Injuries hap

Never said that but I wish we had one 

Technically but not really true...

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/coltshighlights/2005week17cardinals.htm

Peyton got a token start in week 16 of the 2005 season to keep his streak of eight consecutive seasons with 16 starts alive. He went 3 and out on his only drive of the game and Sorgi took over on the next series and quarterbacked the Colts to a 17-13 victory over the Cardinals.  For practical purposes, Sorgi played the whole game and got the win. 

He didn't win it but Sorgi also had a game against the Titans where we yanked the starters and the Titans had to win to get in he playoffs and the Colts didn't need the game at all and Sorgi nearly beat them.  Sorgi also won another game against the Titans where both teams yanked their starters at the end of the year in 2008, although Manning and the starters spotted him a 7-0 lead before they left.  Honestly, I don't think we ever saw Sorgi is a real situation to get a grasp on if he was a good back up QB or not.  We pretty much saw him in the pre-season with the back ups and a vanilla offense or when he came in with the back ups against another teams starters at the end of the year.  The closest we came was the 2005 season I think when they were in Denver and took Manning out after the first series to keep his starts streak alive but left Marvin and Reggie and some of the other starters in for two more series to chase down personal milestones and Sorgi lead them right down the field and scored two TDs against a Denver team that again had to win to make the playoffs on the road.  I think had Manning ever had an injury like what Luck has now or had earlier this season Sorgi would have been effective we just never had to see it which was clearly good for us. 

Not true about Sorgi and not true about Polian never having a good back-up for Manning.  In his early career, Polian dd the same thing Grigson has done, he brought in veteran QBs like Steve Walsh and Mark Rypian.  It's just Manning never missed a snap until 2001 when he missed one snap with a broken jaw.

Ironically Polian almost always had a good back up behind Manning until we really needed it and there was Painter. 

Ive been vocal about the o-line also but Im not sure we can blame this one on the line. There is improvement that can be made for sure but I thought the line did fair against Denver. Ive seen Denver play several times this year and their defense is a machine. I thought the line held their own against them. The line has been improved since Mewhort went back to G and Reitz has played RT. Dont get me wrong I want another stud on that right side but the line is closer to the NFL average now IMO

With the quality of the O-line and all the injuries Luck has sustained in 2015, the next GM better have a veteran backup on board for the foreseeable future. Luck may end up missing nearly half this season, and at best probably projects to be Roethlisberger-like where he will miss a handful of games here and there. Even more reason to build a real defense and O-line, so you can be competitive for short stretches without him, as the Steelers usually are without Ben.

You understand luck didn't get hurt because of the line ..... right?

Yeah, Im with jvan...

By the way... go ask Jerry Jones over in Dallas if having the best O-line in the NFL is a guarantee that your QB wont get injured....  :facepalm:

Yeah, Im with jvan...

By the way... go ask Jerry Jones over in Dallas if having the best O-line in the NFL is a guarantee that your QB wont get injured....  :facepalm:

It's been the culmination of all the hits over time if you ask me.  Maybe Luck's injury on the scramble was the straw that broke the camel's back, but he's taken plenty of hits because of poor OL play as well.

well if Grigson would put a competent oline luck wouldn't be hurt, drafting wr when we have oline needs smh

Ironically Polian almost always had a good back up behind Manning until we really needed it and there was Painter. 

Yeah, I never understood the reason for Painter... in college he showed that he panicked when it was for real.  In the preseason he showed he panicked when it was for real, then they seem surprised when in a regular season game he panicked during the game.

But man what a bad year... when Orlovsky is the team's best QB  you know things are bad.

Regardless of the banter on this subject, the first pick in next year's draft had better be a frickin'

O lineman!

That would be about the dumbest thing they could do.  1st pick better be on a pass rushing LB because they don't have a future one on the roster right now.

After last year I thought that Newsome would be the guy to take over the duties in 2016 but he looks completely lost out there this year.

That would be about the dumbest thing they could do.  1st pick better be on a pass rushing LB because they don't have a future one on the roster right now.

After last year I thought that Newsome would be the guy to take over the duties in 2016 but he looks completely lost out there this year.

He's just trying to be true to his screen name!

Two of our top linemen are 1st and 2nd rd picks in Costanzo and Mewhort. I would prefer to go that 

route but building the defensive front seven wouldn't give me a meltdown like last year's first pick.

Two of our top linemen are 1st and 2nd rd picks in Costanzo and Mewhort. I would prefer to go that 

route but building the defensive front seven wouldn't give me a meltdown like last year's first pick.

Exactly why the Colts don't need to spend their first round pick on an Olineman.  Even if you believe the Colts need to upgrade the guard, center or RT position (of which I don't believe that) you don't spend a first round pick on those type of players very often.  Starting quality/future probowl interior lineman and RTs can be had in rounds 2-4 regularly.

Exactly why the Colts don't need to spend their first round pick on an Olineman.  Even if you believe the Colts need to upgrade the guard, center or RT position (of which I don't believe that) you don't spend a first round pick on those type of players very often.  Starting quality/future probowl interior lineman and RTs can be had in rounds 2-4 regularly.

I could be happy with the first rd pick being a defensive front seven pick and an O lineman in the second.  :)

Good post.

he has been abused over the past 4 years cause of the line and it has tore his body down the injury didn't happen cause of the line but I'm sure the weakening of his body is almost 90% their fault

Exactly, he's been injured since the beginning of this season, he's just been playing through it.  Now he has reached the breaking point.  The line has been playing better as of late, but he got hurt in those first two games when the line was non existent.