Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Co-Existing For Exactly A Year With Manning And Luck And No More

chad72

Hear me out here.

First, whoever the new GM is lets Manning's agent know that even if Manning is around 80-90% healthy around the time of March, they will give him the $28 mil. bonus. In exchange, they need a re-worked contract that spreads the cap hit evenly and makes his contract a tradeable one after showcasing 1 year of good health from Peyton. One year of good health does not necessarily guarantee MVP caliber level, just guarantees good health that could make it through 1 year.

Then, after 1 year, we trade him to a team of our choice. It is a tradeoff that can be a win-win for all parties. Andrew Luck gets his 1 year of the playbook, gets used to the speed of the NFL and like Carson Palmer who spent his first year on the bench, Luck would spend 1 year and exactly 1 year only on the bench. Why 1 year? Because the Colts would be prudent to get some return on investment in Peyton at this point in the franchise's tenure and Peyton's career. Right now, we do not have the option of trading him because he is officially not under contract, he has a 1 year contract with a 4 yr. extension, that is how it was worked out. He is not going to agree to re-do his contract just so that we can trade him right away, he will need his $28 mil., so we give it now but ask for a re-worked contract for the last 3 years. So cutting him gives us just cash savings but a huge cap hit and no return on investment or option of trading him out of the conference. He could go to a division rival and kill us. At least, if he is in the NFC, we play him once in 4 years, same concept as the Marshall Faulk trade.

With that 1 year plan with a reworked contract, the trade can happen to a team of the Colts' choice, a return on investment in Peyton can be obtained either with players or draft picks from another team and we have a better chance of Andrew Luck contributing quicker.

Thoughts???

If it does go down that way it will be Irsay doing a final favor for Peyton, because frankly Peyton needs the Colts more than the Colts need him. Peyton is going to need to establish a street value for himself in order to control his destiny, ie.. where he goes and what he makes.

Tom Condon is smarter than you. Can't get Peyton Manning to renegotiate his deal without some sort of no-trade kicker included.

Yeah, but he needs to think of his other client, Mr. Luck too, monetarily it may not affect either of them if you think about it, assuming both can play for more than a year :) :)

It will affect Peyton only if he truly cannot go past 1 year in which case that $28 mil. would be a shot-in-the-arm-like-windfall anyway.

i would wonder why peyton would go along with this.

he was pretty uncomfortable playing his brother, and i bet he wont want a nfc job-- he would have to play him way more often, and in the playoffs too.

if he is in the afc, he would only see him playoffs wise in the superbowl, which i bet the bros and the whole family would say would be stressfull, but cool too. the real manning bowl!!

remember he warned the colts against not drafting him-- and he was serious about ending his playing days here. he will extract a pound of flesh if we dump him healthy. he will not want to maximize the colts, he will maximize his position.

make sense?

If it does go down that way it will be Irsay doing a final favor for Peyton, because frankly Peyton needs the Colts more than the Colts need him. Peyton is going to need to establish a street value for himself in order to control his destiny, ie.. where he goes and what he makes.

his street value is 4 time mvp. all he needs to do is show he has his arm strength back and he is golden anywhere he wants to go.

If Manning receives his option bonus as stipulated, it's not economical for him to be traded or cut for 3 years. Once he gets the 28 million the salary cap would be a mess by getting rid of him for at least 3 years.

If he's healthy and wishes to continue to play it might be in his best interests to do so elsewhere instead of being here where some groups will be calling for Luck as soon as18 throws an INT.

his street value is 4 time mvp. all he needs to do is show he has his arm strength back and he is golden anywhere he wants to go.

Exactly Bob Sanders had no problem finding a job after we cut him lose, Peyton Manning will have even less if we cut him unless it has been determinded by doctors that he's done.

You only get paid once to sit on a bench as the 4 time mvp.

He's not going to get paid like he is in Indy anywhere close to what he's making now elsewhere. IF he plays next season, that does him more long term good, if both sides part.

Once he gets the 28 million the salary cap would be a mess by getting rid of him for at least 3 years.

The terms for him getting the $28 mil. would be providing the Colts a salary cap friendly re-negotiated deal for the next 3 years in return. The terms of the original contract can still be re-worked thus ensuring he gets $28 mil. in some fashion but make the last 3 years more cap friendly for the Colts, that is what I was trying to get at.

If Manning receives his option bonus as stipulated, it's not economical for him to be traded or cut for 3 years. Once he gets the 28 million the salary cap would be a mess by getting rid of him for at least 3 years.

If he's healthy and wishes to continue to play it might be in his best interests to do so elsewhere instead of being here where some groups will be calling for Luck as soon as18 throws an INT.

I'm afraid that will happen too. It's a complete mess for Peyton no matter how you slice it.

The terms for him getting the $28 mil. would be providing the Colts a salary cap friendly re-negotiated deal for the next 3 years in return. The terms of the original contract can still be re-worked thus ensuring he gets $28 mil. in some fashion but make the last 3 years more cap friendly for the Colts, that is what I was trying to get at.

The terms for the 28 million are already set.

That's the point.. Once the 28 million is paid and added to the 20 he received before this year, he could alter the contract to play for a league minimum(around 950k ), but the damage is done with the 28 million. We'd be looking at around a 28 million accelerated cap hit for 2013. He would have have 12 left on his original signing bonus and 15.8 from the option bonus accelerate into the 2012 salary cap and the would be long gone.

Yeah, but he needs to think of his other client, Mr. Luck too, monetarily it may not affect either of them if you think about it, assumin both can play for more than a year :) :)

First off, Luck hasn't signed with Condon ... yet. There was a report today on another board that he was thinking about signing with a different agency.

I'm saying Manning isn't going to renegotiate his contract to make it easier for the Colts to trade him in a year without some sort of reassurance for himself. When he signed his deal last year, he said "my last down of football will be with the Colts." Not that that can't change, given his status and everything else going on, but it's obvious that, given his druthers, he'd be a Colt for the rest of his career. So if we have some nefarious plot to redo his deal, then trade him once it's easier to do so, Tom Condon will see that move coming from around the corner, and it won't happen.

As it stands, we owe him a bunch of money over the next four years. We can lessen that burden by not picking up his option, but we also lose his services. So if we want the best of both worlds, he's going to need protection himself. He won't want to be sent to the highest bidder in a year just because we have Luck waiting to get on the field.

why would peyton want that deal? he would rather be released and be able to pick the team he wants to play for.....or he lets the colts trade him to the team of their choosing and take players/draft picks from said team.

You only get paid once to sit on a bench as the 4 time mvp.

He's not going to get paid like he is in Indy anywhere close to what he's making now elsewhere. IF he plays next season, that does him more long term good, if both sides part.

maybe you dont understand his injury? if the bone fuses, which it was well on its way to doing, and the nerves regenerate, he is fine.

the test is simple-- can he throw a few hard fastballs or not.

they will know that soon, if not already.

he wont sit on any bench-- either retire or start.

mark my words.

If the Colts are stupid enough to trade Peyton Manning while he can still play, they'll deserve every butt whipping he lays on them.

I love how everyone keeps trying to sell out one of the greatest players the NFL has ever seen for some kid who hasn't even been drafted yet. College success does not equate to NFL success. He may turn out to be the next Manning, but he could just as easily turn out to be the next Leaf.

If they decide to blow an opportunity to build up the whole team to take this one player (yet again buidling the O up at the expense of the D - and we've seen how well that works this year), then the smartest thing is to let him play backup and learn all he can from Peyton until such time as Peyton decides to retire.

Manning-Luck coexisting is the most important and interesting thread for fans.

No one can be smart enough to decide in this complex question. Manning, if he will be healthy again, is one of best NFL QBs however he isn't young, it seems insane to release him. Luck is said to be the next franchise QB, however there are fields, where he needs to improve further, it seems insane not to draft him. There are also salary cap and other financial issues to be considered when deciding to release Manning or trade #1 pick, or draft Luck and bench him, etc.

Manning and Luck coexisting for one (or two?) seasons sounds okay to me, but no one knows if Manning or Luck would accept it, and if yes under what circumstances.

I usually keep saying here, that we should have Manning and Luck, because IMO Luck is not fully ready for NFL (however his neck is o.k. :D ), and he needs to get accustomed to atmosphere of NFL. Yes, Manning went 4-12, and was throwing tons of INT in his rookie season, but I think the game has changed a lot over this decade (it become tougher I think), so Luck's situation isn't fully the same as Manning's was.

Possibly many will be opposed to my opinion, saying Manning won't tutor Luck, and we should release Manning for Luck is the future, and they may be right in their points.

I'm sure this is a tough question for Irsay and the new GM , I'm waiting for the draft, and we will see what would happen. I'm sure the owner and the management will make the best decision they just can.

I think that if the Colts draft Luck, Peyton would be happy to be traded to a contenda (in my best Marlon Brando voice).

I can see people thinking that maybe Luck doesn't want to sit behind Manning, but I don't understand why anyone would think Manning cares who's behind him. Not to the extent that he would rather be traded.

why would peyton want that deal? he would rather be released and be able to pick the team he wants to play for.....or he lets the colts trade him to the team of their choosing and take players/draft picks from said team.

Peyton would be a fool to take that deal. Does he really want to end his career in a heck hole like Cleveland? If Manning is healthy enough to warrant the 28 million option then he is healthy enough to get a nice pay day from a team like 49ers, Ravens, or Jets. The guy will want to end his career on a team that has a chance to win a title and would be a fool to accept some deal that could end him up in Cleveland or Washington.

The way I see it we are going to end up with an either or situation. We will either go all in with Manning or go all in with Luck.

I can see people thinking that maybe Luck doesn't want to sit behind Manning, but I don't understand why anyone would think Manning cares who's behind him. Not to the extent that he would rather be traded.

You may be right in that he wouldn't care who was behind him, and that may not be the reason why he may want to be traded. Rather it would be because the Colts had a chance to build a team to push for a few more SuperBowls with him as the QB and instead they drafted a QB, which would be of no help to him. Manning may then feel that if he were to win a SuperBowl, it may be with another team that is just a QB away from a legitimate shot at winning the SB.

Hear me out here.

First, whoever the new GM is lets Manning's agent know that even if Manning is around 80-90% healthy around the time of March, they will give him the $28 mil. bonus. In exchange, they need a re-worked contract that spreads the cap hit evenly and makes his contract a tradeable one after showcasing 1 year of good health from Peyton. One year of good health does not necessarily guarantee MVP caliber level, just guarantees good health that could make it through 1 year.

Then, after 1 year, we trade him to a team of our choice. It is a tradeoff that can be a win-win for all parties. Andrew Luck gets his 1 year of the playbook, gets used to the speed of the NFL and like Carson Palmer who spent his first year on the bench, Luck would spend 1 year and exactly 1 year only on the bench. Why 1 year? Because the Colts would be prudent to get some return on investment in Peyton at this point in the franchise's tenure and Peyton's career. Right now, we do not have the option of trading him because he is officially not under contract, he has a 1 year contract with a 4 yr. extension, that is how it was worked out. He is not going to agree to re-do his contract just so that we can trade him right away, he will need his $28 mil., so we give it now but ask for a re-worked contract for the last 3 years. So cutting him gives us just cash savings but a huge cap hit and no return on investment or option of trading him out of the conference. He could go to a division rival and kill us. At least, if he is in the NFC, we play him once in 4 years, same concept as the Marshall Faulk trade.

With that 1 year plan with a reworked contract, the trade can happen to a team of the Colts' choice, a return on investment in Peyton can be obtained either with players or draft picks from another team and we have a better chance of Andrew Luck contributing quicker.

Thoughts???

Its a good thought..but I'd go the other way.....

Your solution is good but it assumes that Luck is a great player. We dont know that

Sign Andrew Luck to a four year contract with a mutual trade option after 2 years..

That way...we can do the trade you suggest or we can trade Luck if he''s not what we'd hoped he'd be.

The trade Manning thing is somewhat of a media driven story...

the number of teams that COULD pay a QB $28 mil..or 20 mil over 3 years is small and the number who WOULD for a late 30s QB is even smaller..

But Brett Farve late life proves it could happen..

Same agent........Give both an 'out' after 2 years.

What do you think?

You may be right in that he wouldn't care who was behind him, and that may not be the reason why he may want to be traded. Rather it would be because the Colts had a chance to build a team to push for a few more SuperBowls with him as the QB and instead they drafted a QB, which would be of no help to him. Manning may then feel that if he were to win a SuperBowl, it may be with another team that is just a QB away from a legitimate shot at winning the SB.

I think the value of trading this year's #1 for extra picks is highly overstated. You might get an extra player or two in this year's draft, and then an extra couple players in the next two drafts. That's not going to make us appreciably better for the duration of Manning's career. Maybe you hit a really good guy with a first rounder, but that's a 50/50 proposition. And you still have six other rounds of picks. That's more of a long-term strategy than something that's going to bolster us in the here-and-now.

Matter of fact, the biggest thing standing in our way of reloading the roster with talent is Manning's contract.

If you want to reload and go all-in for Manning, then you get rid of Dallas Clark and Dwight Freeney, you restructure Manning's deal, and you sign a couple free agents at offensive line and in the secondary, and you hope you can get back in the playoffs next season. And you better not make a mistake with those free agents, by the way, because they are going to be pricey. This strategy is irrespective of your draft strategy.

I think the value of trading this year's #1 for extra picks is highly overstated. You might get an extra player or two in this year's draft, and then an extra couple players in the next two drafts. That's not going to make us appreciably better for the duration of Manning's career. Maybe you hit a really good guy with a first rounder, but that's a 50/50 proposition. And you still have six other rounds of picks. That's more of a long-term strategy than something that's going to bolster us in the here-and-now.

Matter of fact, the biggest thing standing in our way of reloading the roster with talent is Manning's contract.

If you want to reload and go all-in for Manning, then you get rid of Dallas Clark and Dwight Freeney, you restructure Manning's deal, and you sign a couple free agents at offensive line and in the secondary, and you hope you can get back in the playoffs next season. And you better not make a mistake with those free agents, by the way, because they are going to be pricey. This strategy is irrespective of your draft strategy.

• Getting Manning to re-work his deal will come with some concessions( No trade, clause, an agreement based on the #1 pick, agreements on what happens with/to other players) outside of something like that, I don't see Manning reworking his contract.
  • Getting rid of Clark would only free up about 1.7 million on the salary cap, so maybe reworking his deal is the better route than an outright release.
  • Cutting Freeney would free up 14 million dollars, or I could see them turning the majority of his base salary due(14 million) into some form of a bonus which would extend the contract thus lowering the cap #.

If they could trade with Cleveland #4, and approximately #22-24, and extra picks this year and later, then that could lead to reloading the team quicker than a team that could only give us say a 1,2,3 for a couple of years. If we draft Luck, he's not playing for about 3 years and would be of no help outside of a Manning injury/setback. We would also have limited time to attempt to evaluate him to see if he is worth of an extension or the 5th year option that we would own on him.

• Getting Manning to re-work his deal will come with some concessions( No trade, clause, an agreement based on the #1 pick, agreements on what happens with/to other players) outside of something like that, I don't see Manning reworking his contract.
  • Getting rid of Clark would only free up about 1.7 million on the salary cap, so maybe reworking his deal is the better route than an outright release.
  • Cutting Freeney would free up 14 million dollars, or I could see them turning the majority of his base salary due(14 million) into some form of a bonus which would extend the contract thus lowering the cap #.

If they could trade with Cleveland #4, and approximately #22-24, and extra picks this year and later, then that could lead to reloading the team quicker than a team that could only give us say a 1,2,3 for a couple of years. If we draft Luck, he's not playing for about 3 years and would be of no help outside of a Manning injury/setback. We would also have limited time to attempt to evaluate him to see if he is worth of an extension or the 5th year option that we would own on him.

1) I feel like retooling around Manning absolutely requires a reworking of his contract, so if that comes with the conditions you mention, then so be it. It's the cost of doing business if that's the way you want to go.

2) Clark has two years on his deal, right? So it's not just 2012 savings, it would be completely off the books in 2013, allowing you to structure other contracts with big hits starting in 2013, including Manning's. Or you could rework Clark as well. I'd rather keep him, and I'm sure Manning would too, but I think his cost-benefit over the past two years puts him on the chopping block. Especially with Tamme likely coming much cheaper.

3) Tons of possibilities with Freeney's contract, but I don't see him being willing to do a team-friendly deal. Trade might get us a couple mid-rounders, but cutting him would probably be the most economical.

If you trade for Cleveland's #4 and #22-24, the combined money for those two picks is more than just paying Luck, so there's no real savings. If you get a couple players, potential starters, then maybe it's worth it. But how many playoff teams have rookies starting at key positions right now? Honest question, because I'm not sure, but I don't think it's very many. I think the benefit of stocking draft picks is overstated as it pertains to building around Manning for the next few years. If we're talking about four years ago, sure. But not now.

I think that if the Colts draft Luck, Peyton would be happy to be traded to a contenda (in my best Marlon Brando voice).

If he's traded, that team will no longer be a contender. It's best picks and players would suddenly belong to the Colts, and Manning would be working with another cesspool.

If he's traded, that team will no longer be a contender. It's best picks and players would suddenly belong to the Colts, and Manning would be working with another cesspool.

Manning's value has plunged. We could not demand much for him. Other teams could get Manning at a premium. Manning will need at least another year to build his VALUE back up to where it used to be, and by then he will be 37. I doubt we could get a team's "best picks and players" for him.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, January 7, 2012 - response to removed post
Hidden by shecolt, January 7, 2012 - response to removed post
I hope luck tears his acl walking up a flight of steps this morning. Lets see us draft him then

That's the most classless thing I've read on this forum. Grow up

Let's say we go all in on Manning, trade the #1 pick for multiple picks, Manning finishes his career as a Colt and he doesn't win another Super Bowl. Would you guys consider that an epic failure or just a chance we had to take? If we keep Manning, it has to be Katie bar the door or else it's all to no avail. We would need to shove all the money into the pot, get those pricey free agents to cover weaknesses, etc.... right? With Luck, you would have plenty of time to gradually build and get there...which means undrafted free agents,etc...

Let's say we go all in on Manning, trade the #1 pick for multiple picks, Manning finishes his career as a Colt and he doesn't win another Super Bowl. Would you guys consider that an epic failure or just a chance we had to take? If we keep Manning, it has to be Katie bar the door or else it's all to no avail. We would need to shove all the money into the pot, get those pricey free agents to cover weaknesses, etc.... right? With Luck, you would have plenty of time to gradually build and get there...which means undrafted free agents,etc...

lets say we let a healthy manning walk, and he wins another sb, or more, thus cementing his legacy. meanwhile luck has a greg oden career.

would you consider that an epic failure or a chance we had to take?

nothing is guaranteed.

i think given a healthy manning its a choice between a legit chance at getting 'dynasty' (i hate that word, but you know what i mean, multi sb's and a general feeling that manning played up to potential) like elway did-- in a short window verses getting a much murkier but much longer shot at something close.

I don't know how the Colts can afford both Luck and Manning in the same year. As the #1 pick and a QB, you know Luck is gonna get all kinds of guaranteed front money. If they are both here, we'll be lucky to hold onto any of our FAs.

This is a great idea, but it will never happen. as a owner Jim Isray isnt going to give up a guy who build that new stadium, in indy, or who brought him 115+ wins over a 10 year span, or who won him a super bowl ring just like that. More in likely peyton will be there for the next 3-4 years before luck takes over, if we even draft Luck and peyton is healthy.