Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Is Manning’S Replacement Such A Problem?

Coltsagent

Agreed. We must've had a fundamental misunderstanding. I don't want Luck here. I feel that will be toxic to our franchise and slam the window on Manning.

I completely get what you're saying and the thought of Manning not taking another snap with the Colts again is scary but does that validate passing up a great prospect in Andrew Luck? At some point in time Manning will have to eventually hang it up. It doesn't mean it has to be with the Colts. Luck can be the answer to Manning's replacement and Manning can still have success on an another team. IF there is a way to bring in Manning for cheap through restructuring and have Luck sit for a year or two that would be great. I just don't know if it will happen. I dont know the new CBA rules or anything and I've tried searching to see if its possible.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t get it, why all the controversy? Why is it such an issue to go with Peyton for the next 2 years with Luck as backup and revaluate again then?

IF there is a way to bring in Manning for cheap through restructuring and have Luck sit for a year or two that would be great. I just don't know if it will happen.

It certainly is better to have options than not, and obviously if Peyton has to retire than this draft pick will be perfect timing - but why do so many people assume that even if he returns, Peyton will only play for another year or two?

In my opinion, if Peyton returns healthy from this injury, he could well still be an elite QB when he is in his early 40s. Would you really put it past him? Favre was still effective as a 40 year old, and his success was based primarily on athleticism. Manning wins primarily with his brain. He has been an ironman aside from this one problem. What if this one problem has now been corrected?

What I dread is momentum building in two years to get rid of Manning simply because at that point we would have invested millions in Luck, his career would be a waste, he has been deemed "ready" (like Rodgers was), and/or his contract would be starting to run out without any basis to determine he was worth resigning (and why WOULD he resign?). In other words, drafting Luck clearly puts an expiration date on Peyton's career - regardless of his health or ability, regardless of whether Luck can hold a candle to him or not. I don't want that to happen. Manning is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Luck is a prospect. I'd MUCH rather see the Colts do anything possible to maximize the balance of Peytons career - whether it be one more year or eight. If that means that after Peyton finally retires the Colts have to endure another 2-14 season or two while truly starting over, that's fine with me. Where is it written that we have to have a perfect succession plan, and is implementing that plan "for the next 15 years" still worth it if Peyton might be able to play for 5+ years himself? I don't think that it's time yet. We need a competant backup (amongst other things), not a franchise QB. We already have one of those.

I don’t get it, why all the controversy? We started a few years back asking the question about finding Manning’s replacement…well we now have the opportunity to grab it. I don’t understand all this talk of release Peyton, get picks for him or Luck. Why isn’t this just a talk about how we got a replacement for down the road? Would we still have all the debates if we were talking about something other than the #1 overall? Why is it such an issue to go with Peyton for the next 2 years with Luck as backup and revaluate again then?

Thank you!!!! I couldnt have said this any better. Great post nuff said.

I completely get what you're saying and the thought of Manning not taking another snap with the Colts again is scary

That's eventually going to happen. I don't get why it's such a shocker.

What's strange to me is how Polian was vilified for months partially for not having a good backup quarterback, and now that there's a reasonable chance to add a good backup quarterback who could potentially be the quarterback of the future, people are scared of it. If you want a good young quarterback in the fold, this is the best chance to get one.

We've been expecting the team to be lost whenever Manning is done playing, for us to have a horrible year and go into a prolonged rebuilding stage without him. We just had the horrible year. We can rebuilding without going through another horrible year. Why not pull the trigger now and be ready to move into the next era whenever it's time for Manning to move on?

For me, it's not about Andrew Luck. I would have been content to trade down and get Matt Barkley. I don't know very much about Robert Griffin III, except that he's not considered to be the kind of pro prospect Andrew Luck is. Luck is a very good prospect, and we have a chance to get him. The idea that he'll be pushing Manning out the door doesn't really hold water to me. Manning is the kind of player that you only get one chance to have. No one should expect Luck to take his place. (Favre was an icon, but his importance to his team was highly overrated.) I don't think Irsay will let Manning leave unless Manning can't play anymore, in which case, it's even more important that we have someone to take the reins.

To me, it's really simple: If you think Luck is going to be a good quarterback, you take him, and let everything else get worked out as necessary. To me, it's a decision that's made independently of whether Manning will be on the field or not. There's a place for Luck either way, and it's not about the money. Manning's money is what it is. The question, to me, is "Do you like Luck, or not?" If you do, take him, and don't look back.

Unfortunately, nearly every analyst of heard on the radio and TV has said that they would release Peyton if they were Irsay. I'm afraid that's the way momentum is building. Hope you Suck for Luck folks are happy with the results of being the worst in the NFL.

NFL analysts. Meh . . . they really don't know any more than we do. Lots of controversy, more views. Peyton's not going anywhere.

Unfortunately, nearly every analyst of heard on the radio and TV has said that they would release Peyton if they were Irsay. I'm afraid that's the way momentum is building. Hope you Suck for Luck folks are happy with the results of being the worst in the NFL.

Go back fourteen years, and the analysts were saying they'd take Ryan Leaf because Peyton Manning's arm wasn't strong enough to be a pro quarterback. Five years ago, they were saying they would take Jamarcus Russell with the first pick.

I sincerely hope Irsay and his new GM don't give two shakes of a tail feather what TV and radio analysts are saying.

I think we can pretty much bid our adieus to Mathis. DE's like him are a commodity around the league and I don't see us giving him more than 7 or 8, if that. I still have faith in Jerry Hughes, this is what we drafted him for.

And since Hughes has been drafted, he's done nothing here but drink all of the Gatorade. This guy doesn't even have 3 total sack or 25 total tackles in his 2 year career. We talking about a 1st round draft pick too!! Smh

I just hate the fact that no media person is talking about other "options" for this situation such as Peyton Restructuring his contract. Peyton is a class guy and has already taken less to help the team before. but i guess now he would not do it again? Nor do they mention the cap hit. maybe out in Indy they are but it seems all you hear is 28 million. without talking about his actual cap hit. I would take Luck, have him sit. Cause lets be real here... It's no Fact Peyton will play and we may not know til the after the bonuses are given. Tired of all this "one or the other" talk.

Thats because the #1 overall pick is money!!!..... trade down from 1 and you get 2 #1 picks with the opportunity to draft the BETTER QB in the Draft which is RGIII... no doubt the colts should get a QB but trading down makes the most sense out of anything.

RGIII will not be a better NFL QB than Luck. Keep in mind what conference he played for, and the fact that Luck is a better pure passer, which is what the NFL is all about these days.

I just hate the fact that no media person is talking about other "options" for this situation such as Peyton Restructuring his contract. Peyton is a class guy and has already taken less to help the team before. but i guess now he would not do it again? Nor do they mention the cap hit. maybe out in Indy they are but it seems all you hear is 28 million. without talking about his actual cap hit. I would take Luck, have him sit. Cause lets be real here... It's no Fact Peyton will play and we may not know til the after the bonuses are given. Tired of all this "one or the other" talk.

Many members of the media don't have a clue about the salary cap.

I don't see Manning pushing the date back, I don't see a logical reason for him to do so, many say he should so he could get traded, but all that will do is weaken his new team. We should know if he's good to go by March 1, so pushing it back should not matter. He'll either get paid the bonus or he'll get released.

Yeah his cap hit is 17 if he plays. 10.6 if he's released, and if we have Manning & Luck on the roster this year we will have 51 million in actual dollars locked up in the quarterback position not to mention 3-400k in free agent QB3.

RGIII is not better than Luck. The Colts offense depends entirely on precise route running, QB-WR chemistry, accuracy, awareness, etc. It doesn't depend on scrambling QBs with cannon arms.

..... You do know that statistically RGIII is more accurate than Luck right? No one is to say what the colts depend on.. garcon was never a great route runner and the best route runner the colts have is wayne and he may not even be here next year.... with that said luck does not bring anything different to the table, only reason (and i have said this countless times) luck gets so much hype and comparison to manning is because of how they let him run his offense... BP said earlier on that there are two QB's in this draft you cant go wrong on.. we both know who he was talking about, the question is which one is better than the other... that answer is RGIII not to mention you can trade down and still get him.

RGIII will not be a better NFL QB than Luck. Keep in mind what conference he played for, and the fact that Luck is a better pure passer, which is what the NFL is all about these days.

You have no proof that luck is a better pure passer.. Luck had 2more passing attempts than RGIII and RGIII still had better stats..... He's a POCKET passer FIRST, and thats what i think ppl need to realize.. he will run but he's a QB dont mistake his abilities for anything less.

I think we can pretty much bid our adieus to Mathis. DE's like him are a commodity around the league and I don't see us giving him more than 7 or 8, if that. I still have faith in Jerry Hughes, this is what we drafted him for.

Keep in mind the GM who drafted Jerry Hughes was just released and he has not produced to this point. I think it's safe to say Hughes will be a short leash.

I think Mathis is still young enough we will give him one more contract. I think we are going to see a major overhaul of the defense under the new GM and they are going to want something to hang their hat on while they rebuild and I think that will be Freeney and Mathis.

He was evaluated at 85-90% back to normal. For that, he is still better than 98% of the leauges QB's. Id say come March eval he will be at 100%. Jmo

This isn't true.

Another player commented that they "thought" he was throwing 10-15 yd passes at 85-90%. (Which I question)

That IS NOT saying he's at 85-90%.

This isn't true.

Another player commented that they "thought" he was throwing 10-15 yd passes at 85-90%. (Which I question)

That IS NOT saying he's at 85-90%.

I will post the link tomorrow where he was put at 85-90% rehab. Im tired and its too late. Sweet dreams..

..... You do know that statistically RGIII is more accurate than Luck right? No one is to say what the colts depend on.. garcon was never a great route runner and the best route runner the colts have is wayne and he may not even be here next year.... with that said luck does not bring anything different to the table, only reason (and i have said this countless times) luck gets so much hype and comparison to manning is because of how they let him run his offense... BP said earlier on that there are two QB's in this draft you cant go wrong on.. we both know who he was talking about, the question is which one is better than the other... that answer is RGIII not to mention you can trade down and still get him.

You know that statistics in College don't matter right? Case Keenum has the best QB stats I've seen this season and is not mentioned in the same sentence as Luck, RGIII for that matter in terms of skill. Peyton Manning didn't have eye opening stats coming out of college. Neither Rodgers, Brady etc. As you can see what I'm saying.

Andrew Luck has an advantage in size, mechanics, accuracy, pocket prescence, delivery

RGIII has an advantage in speed, mobility, and arm strength

That doesn't mean Luck lacks any of that because Luck is quite mobile and has very good arm strength. My point being Luck fits what the Colts do a lot better than Griffin does. Even if Wayne and Garcon is gone, there is still Clark, Collie, and White who are all good route runners.

Pure pocket QB's are leading their teams to the playoffs this year. Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Manning, Ryan, Stafford, Dalton, etc. While some Qbs like Rodgers are mobile and can run, they are excellent in the pocket. I'm not saying RG3 is a bad pocket QB but the need for speed is somewhat overrated in the NFL. Look at Manning. Then look at Young, Vick , and so on. Even Tebow whos in the playoffs. . but to be honest he is not good.

RG3 definitely could be a better QB then Luck. I just don't think many people would be willing to bet on it. I think the advantage RG3 has for us is we could trade down, get our project potential superstar QB, and get other pieces as well.

What I don't get is why does what the Colts do now on offense matter in what QB we choose? Once Manning goes we could run the wishbone if we wanted to. Chris Polian already chased away the coordinators that matter, without Manning this offense is pointless. Luck might be able to run it, but who could implement it and teach it to him?

The Colts will be able to afford both Luck and Manning even without a Manning restructure because a handful of overpaids are going to be cut loose. Now lets start shopping for weapons Peyton can get the ball to that are over 5'11" and 200 lbs.

Good point

It's their job to sensationalize. I'm not saying that they don't do real journalistic work from time to time, but they are supposed to build interest in their shows. Most of the time they use controversy to stir up emotions. Don't get caught up in all of that. A smart owner and GM will not let that sway their decision.

I still remember thinking the Texans were * for passing on Bush. And that Polian was foolish to take James over Williams, who was the greatest RB prospect ever, ever.

James was still the safer choice as Williams has baby sized hands.

Luck is the safer pick over RG3 because RG3 somewhat of a project, shorter, tends to run under pressure more, less cerebral, more likely to get injured, tends to hold onto the ball too long, isn't as good at ball placement when throwing.

I don’t get it, why all the controversy? We started a few years back asking the question about finding Manning’s replacement…well we now have the opportunity to grab it. I don’t understand all this talk of release Peyton, get picks for him or Luck. Why isn’t this just a talk about how we got a replacement for down the road? Would we still have all the debates if we were talking about something other than the #1 overall? Why is it such an issue to go with Peyton for the next 2 years with Luck as backup and revaluate again then?

You got it..the controversy is because some feel that the No.1 overall pick MUST play ahead of EVERYONE else right away...

You got it..the controversy is because some feel that the No.1 overall pick MUST play ahead of EVERYONE else right away...

well duh thats why they are #1 overall picks

they are ready to come in and start day 1

You know that statistics in College don't matter right? Case Keenum has the best QB stats I've seen this season and is not mentioned in the same sentence as Luck, RGIII for that matter in terms of skill. Peyton Manning didn't have eye opening stats coming out of college. Neither Rodgers, Brady etc. As you can see what I'm saying.

Andrew Luck has an advantage in size, mechanics, accuracy, pocket prescence, delivery

RGIII has an advantage in speed, mobility, and arm strength

That doesn't mean Luck lacks any of that because Luck is quite mobile and has very good arm strength. My point being Luck fits what the Colts do a lot better than Griffin does. Even if Wayne and Garcon is gone, there is still Clark, Collie, and White who are all good route runners.

Pure pocket QB's are leading their teams to the playoffs this year. Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Manning, Ryan, Stafford, Dalton, etc. While some Qbs like Rodgers are mobile and can run, they are excellent in the pocket. I'm not saying RG3 is a bad pocket QB but the need for speed is somewhat overrated in the NFL. Look at Manning. Then look at Young, Vick , and so on. Even Tebow whos in the playoffs. . but to be honest he is not good.

That alone should give me reason NOT to reply to this post at all... if that was the case what would be the case of making andrew luck the #1draft pick?... RGIII is a more accurate QB with a much bigger arm and the most athletic... he's just about better in all phases, and you CANNOT dub neither of those QB's PURE pocket passers because they have the ability to scramble, its just that RGIII can do it in a much better fashion.

I cant understand what your trying to say abour route runners either... dont college WR's run routes as well? there's been so many times ive seen RGIII throw an accurate pass to an out route... Like i said before the only reason Luck is being so gassed is because of the style of offense he ran which takes nothing but practice.

The only thing that concerns me about RGIII is that he takes alot of sacks and he gets hit alot, other than that RGIII is the better QB

He's real good but don't pick him if break away speed is what you want. Great hands, size, route running, and not slow by any means. Luck + Blackmon would be epic. Is it possible?

Nearly impossible, to take Luck AND Blackmon the Colts would need to get another high 1st round pick and the Colts aren't trading Manning right after they pay him 28mill

I agree with you completely. There are quite a few fans though that obviously have an unhealthy obsession with Manning and the thoughts of having to replace him one day seems to send them over the edge. It is either extreme immaturity or they have a cult-ish infatuation believing he is immortal and will play forever.

That alone should give me reason NOT to reply to this post at all... if that was the case what would be the case of making andrew luck the #1draft pick?... RGIII is a more accurate QB with a much bigger arm and the most athletic... he's just about better in all phases, and you CANNOT dub neither of those QB's PURE pocket passers because they have the ability to scramble, its just that RGIII can do it in a much better fashion.

I cant understand what your trying to say abour route runners either... dont college WR's run routes as well? there's been so many times ive seen RGIII throw an accurate pass to an out route... Like i said before the only reason Luck is being so gassed is because of the style of offense he ran which takes nothing but practice.

The only thing that concerns me about RGIII is that he takes alot of sacks and he gets hit alot, other than that RGIII is the better QB

Lol you are outta this world man. Andrew Luck is not #1 because of his stats. Andrew Luck is #1 because he has literally no flaws whatsoever. His biggest weakness is arm strength which is still very very good and is hardly a weakness. Also RG3 is not more accurate than Luck.

I challenge you, PLEASE find me a scouting report, article, written by someone notable stating RG3 is more accurate than Luck. Because I have not found one and accuracy is one of Luck's strongest points. You are simply voicing your opinion whereas it's pretty darn well known Andrew Luck is the most accurate passer in this draft.

Vick was incredibly athletic coming out of college as well with a strong arm. How did that turn out?

Jamarcus Russell had one of the strongest arms of any prospect ever and how did that turn out?

You know a lot of people thought Ryan Leaf was a better prospect than Peyton Manning too!

Until you can get on here and post some of your credentials of being a NFL talent evaluator, could you please stop stating your opinion as fact. Afterall, you were the one here earlier this season saying how good Painter was and how he will be a good QB in the NFL. That don't make me have much confidence in your evaluation skills.

I agree with you completely. There are quite a few fans though that obviously have an unhealthy obsession with Manning and the thoughts of having to replace him one day seems to send them over the edge. It is either extreme immaturity or they have a cult-ish infatuation believing he is immortal and will play forever.

I think they're quite a few fans that have an unhealthy obsession with 'LUCK' and what his potential(this being key word)could bring.The thought of them(colts) passing on him and picking another QB(such as foles or cousins)seems to send them over the edge.Its either extreme immaturity or reading too many walter reports that have them believing neckbeard is the second coming.

I think they're quite a few fans that have an unhealthy obsession with 'LUCK' and what his potential(this being key word)could bring.The thought of them(colts) passing on him and picking another QB(such as foles or cousins)seems to send them over the edge.Its either extreme immaturity or reading too many walter reports that have them believing neckbeard is the second coming.

Let me put it this way

I would bet everything I own in my possession that Luck is going to be taken by the Colts. Confidently.

That is all.

Picking Luck or trading down for more picks are both great decisions, each can help the team greatly. Its gonna be exciting either way.

Sitting on the fence is surprisingly comfortable.

That could be, but I think there are some fans that just see the writing on the wall that Mannings career is coming to an end. Its purely a matter of father time catching up to him. When you have the chance to get a guy that is widely considered the best to come along since Elway, you simply do not pass on him when your current QB is 36 yrs. old and coming off 3 neck surgeries. Its also not just "walter reports" that say Luck is the best in a long time. Virtually every GM and scout in the game(with the exception of a couple) have said the same thing about him. You don't have to believe them if you don't want to, but im gonna listem to them over any message board poster. Any player could end up being a bust, including anybody the Colts would pick up if they traded the pick. It is not a good excuse not to pick him.