Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Is Manning’S Replacement Such A Problem?

Coltsagent

I don’t get it, why all the controversy? We started a few years back asking the question about finding Manning’s replacement…well we now have the opportunity to grab it. I don’t understand all this talk of release Peyton, get picks for him or Luck. Why isn’t this just a talk about how we got a replacement for down the road? Would we still have all the debates if we were talking about something other than the #1 overall? Why is it such an issue to go with Peyton for the next 2 years with Luck as backup and revaluate again then?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t get it, why all the controversy? We started a few years back asking the question about finding Manning’s replacement…well we now have the opportunity to grab it. I don’t understand all this talk of release Peyton, get picks for him or Luck. Why isn’t this just a talk about how we got a replacement for down the road? Would we still have all the debates if we were talking about something other than the #1 overall? Why is it such an issue to go with Peyton for the next 2 years with Luck as backup and revaluate again then?

This what I say to myself every day I read this board. People make it sound like it MUST be 1 or the other. What doesn't help is the media keeps shoving the "Jets would grab Manning" articles twice a day at us. People read these charged articles and think, "oh, its 1 or the other then PERIOD!"

I cannot wait to see both Manning and Luck on the same roster next year.

There is no controversy, Luck will be drafted by the Colts and Manning's future depends on his physical evaluation in February/March. If Manning is ready to go the Colts give him the $28 million option and if not no option, he is dropped and the Colts will have to move on with Luck as their QB. Either way we are getting Luck, it just changes whether he will start or not.

This story has to be as controversial as possible. The national media has been selling the idea of releasing Manning for months and I feel it has finally started to change people's opinions. Heck that line of thinking has become so prevalent that the most likely conclusion of Luck-Mann coexisting is now the controversial opinion.

There is no controversy, Luck will be drafted by the Colts and Manning's future depends on his physical evaluation in February/March. If Manning is ready to go the Colts give him the $28 million option and if not no option, he is dropped and the Colts will have to move on with Luck as their QB. Either way we are getting Luck, it just changes whether he will start or not.

Too much logic here

Our cup runneth over.

We have Peyton Manning and the #1 pick in a draft with the most hyped QB in many years. All this comes down to one thing, the interview. Theres alot that Andrew could say that would impress Irsay into having no choice but to try and make it work. There is also much that Andrew could say to call the deal off.

Maybe he'll look at Irsay and say "If you don't draft me I'm gonna spend the next 15 years kicking your @#%".

This what I say to myself every day I read this board. People make it sound like it MUST be 1 or the other. What doesn't help is the media keeps shoving the "Jets would grab Manning" articles twice a day at us. People read these charged articles and think, "oh, its 1 or the other then PERIOD!"

I cannot wait to see both Manning and Luck on the same roster next year.

Why would the Colts spend 40mill+ on two quarterbacks? It makes no sense. Even if the Colts do keep Manning and Luck which ties up 40m+ (depending on Lucks contract) and I know Manning alone has a 16m cap hit, what about the rest of the team? Freeney, Brackett, Clark, alone are raking in a lot of money next year. Add the 40M+tied up in the QB spot. How will the Colts expect to re-sign Mathis or Wayne? Garcon? Having both handicaps the Colts ability to re-sign their own free agents AND pursue any other F/As out there.

I don't know if it's news to anyone else but re-signing Peyton Manning is not going to suddenly guarantee this team a playoff berth.

If Saturday retires, will Pollack be an appropriate replacement? Manning coming back doesn't guarantee Saturday will but this is something you have to prepare for incase.

If the Colts can't re-sign Mathis, who will play DE? Surely not Hughes? There is also problem with depth because if Mathis isn't re-signed and his replacement somehow gets injured then who is the next man up?

Who will play corner opposite of Powers? Lacey has regressed and the other corners can play nickel at best.

Will Bullitt finally stay healthy? If Bullitt is injured again who will replace Bullit?

Wayne and Garcon. Assuming the Colts re-sign one or the other, it still makes the WR core weak. Gonzo(who I think is also a F/A) and Collie have been injured the past year or so, White isn't a true starting receiver. Drafting a rookie WR is a temporary solution but won't put up Harrison/Wayne like #'s immediately.

Of course though everyone can be replaced through the draft and will play great just like Hughes, Ugoh, and Gonzo haha

It is very possible we might never have the oppurtunity to see Luck in a Colts uniform. There has been some talk that Luck might not want to play in Indy. I wouldnt blame him if he didnt want to. First, we are going to have a very uncertian team next year. It seems we are going to have a new GM and a possible HC and all new AC's. Its very possible that Luck decides there just isnt enough stability with the Colts now. We will see. Either way, I just hope that a healthy Peyton is here next year. That is the only way we in next year.

Thats because the #1 overall pick is money!!!..... trade down from 1 and you get 2 #1 picks with the opportunity to draft the BETTER QB in the Draft which is RGIII... no doubt the colts should get a QB but trading down makes the most sense out of anything.

Thats because the #1 overall pick is money!!!..... trade down from 1 and you get 2 #1 picks with the opportunity to draft the BETTER QB in the Draft which is RGIII... no doubt the colts should get a QB but trading down makes the most sense out of anything.

RGIII is not better than Luck. The Colts offense depends entirely on precise route running, QB-WR chemistry, accuracy, awareness, etc. It doesn't depend on scrambling QBs with cannon arms.

I will never buy the money argument...even Irsay said money is not a problem. Now for those that say cant also pay our other FA's...this is not Peytons first contract...he was the highest paid player in the league for like 10 years in a row and we seemed do pretty good keeping our own for those 10 years. There is always ways to fiqure out the money.

Why would the Colts spend 40mill+ on two quarterbacks? It makes no sense. Even if the Colts do keep Manning and Luck which ties up 40m+ (depending on Lucks contract) and I know Manning alone has a 16m cap hit, what about the rest of the team? Freeney, Brackett, Clark, alone are raking in a lot of money next year. Add the 40M+tied up in the QB spot. How will the Colts expect to re-sign Mathis or Wayne? Garcon? Having both handicaps the Colts ability to re-sign their own free agents AND pursue any other F/As out there.

I don't know if it's news to anyone else but re-signing Peyton Manning is not going to suddenly guarantee this team a playoff berth.

If Saturday retires, will Pollack be an appropriate replacement? Manning coming back doesn't guarantee Saturday will but this is something you have to prepare for incase.

If the Colts can't re-sign Mathis, who will play DE? Surely not Hughes? There is also problem with depth because if Mathis isn't re-signed and his replacement somehow gets injured then who is the next man up?

Who will play corner opposite of Powers? Lacey has regressed and the other corners can play nickel at best.

Will Bullitt finally stay healthy? If Bullitt is injured again who will replace Bullit?

Wayne and Garcon. Assuming the Colts re-sign one or the other, it still makes the WR core weak. Gonzo(who I think is also a F/A) and Collie have been injured the past year or so, White isn't a true starting receiver. Drafting a rookie WR is a temporary solution but won't put up Harrison/Wayne like #'s immediately.

Of course though everyone can be replaced through the draft and will play great just like Hughes, Ugoh, and Gonzo haha

Where are you getting $40mill?!? Mannings cap hit is like $16. Luck if he gets newtons contract would be about $5.5. That's roughly $22....one being the GoaT QB, the other being his heir apparent. At the most important position in the field. In contrast Dwight by himself is $19 against the cap........

Where are you getting $40mill?!? Mannings cap hit is like $16. Luck if he gets newtons contract would be about $5.5. That's roughly $22....one being the GoaT QB, the other being his heir apparent. At the most important position in the field. In contrast Dwight by himself is $19 against the cap........

uhhh thats exactly what I said in my post "16m against the cap". The Salary + bonus of both are going to exceed 40mill.

If the Colts exercise Manning's op out clause, that is an additional 16M to spend re-signing F/A's, signing new F/A's and addressing other holes.

I will never buy the money argument...even Irsay said money is not a problem. Now for those that say cant also pay our other FA's...this is not Peytons first contract...he was the highest paid player in the league for like 10 years in a row and we seemed do pretty good keeping our own for those 10 years. There is always ways to fiqure out the money.

We weren't paying players like Clark, Freeney, Brackett, for those 10 years. It was pretty much Manning, Harrison, and Edge(who I am not sure about). Just recently the Colts have started paying everyone $$$. Hayden and Sanders who are gone and I'm sure there is still dead money there, Clark, Freeney, Brackett, Addai, etc.

uhhh thats exactly what I said in my post "16m against the cap". The Salary + bonus of both are going to exceed 40mill.

If the Colts exercise Manning's op out clause, that is 16M to spend re-signing F/A's, signing new F/A's and addressing other holes.

What is it you think Mannings 16m would bring in? Let alone have an impact on. Your lookin at a 3 yr contract for a Gary Brackett type player.

Well......12 years and what.....10 playoff appearances, 2 SB games and a Lombardi? He sits out 1 season and we have the worst showing in 13 years.

Not a guarantee but common sense says yes, we resign Peyton and we're back in it to win it buddy.

What is it you think Mannings 16m would bring in? Let alone have an impact on. Your lookin at a 3 yr contract for a Gary Brackett type player.

Do you not realize you are not limited to 16mill? Add that onto the remaining money the Colts have and its possible to re-sign Mathis and possibly Wayne.

Well......12 years and what.....10 playoff appearances, 2 SB games and a Lombardi? He sits out 1 season and we have the worst showing in 13 years.

Not a guarantee but common sense says yes, we resign Peyton and we're back in it to win it buddy.

You're right, lets put Manning back behind center and go back to having him carry the defense the entire year and into the playoffs to go one and done because the defense can't stop Billy Volek. Lets forget the other holes that need to be addressed and lack of depth we saw in 2010.

Manning's cap hit in 2012 if he plays is 17 million

Manning's cap hit if the option is not picked up and he's a free agent or retires is still 10.6 million. We only save 6.4 million if he is not on the roster.

If We pick up Manning's option, pay him his base salary, Draft Luck, sign him, and pay his base salary we will spend over 51million ACTUAL dollars on the quarterback position not counting a 3rd stringer. From a cap perspective it will be about 21 million or around 17-18% of the cap.

You're right, lets put Manning back behind center and go back to having him carry the defense the entire year and into the playoffs to go one and done because the defense can't stop Billy Volek. Lets forget the other holes that need to be addressed and lack of depth we saw in 2010.

Ruksak did you say that? Guess I missed it.

Manning's cap hit in 2012 if he plays is 17 million

Manning's cap hit if the option is not picked up is still 10.6 million. We only save 6.4 million if he is not on the roster.

If We pick up Manning's option, pay him his base salary, Draft Luck, sign him, and pay his base salary we will spend over 51million ACTUAL dollars on the quarterback position not counting a 3rd stringer. From a cap perspective it will be about 21 million or around 17-18% of the cap.

51Million alone the QB spot alone in one season is scary.

Completely discounting his recent injuries of course...

I wouldn't be surprised that come March, Manning's contract is restructured. Obviously not a guarantee, but PM was the one who originally established the opt out this March in Indy wanted to. I think that if he is healthy enough to play next season, he restructures into a 2 year deal with less money. He took less money than Irsay offered him in order to sign veterans like Addai.

I wouldn't be surprised that come March, Manning's contract is restructured. Obviously not a guarantee, but PM was the one who originally established the opt out this March in Indy wanted to. I think that if he is healthy enough to play next season, he restructures into a 2 year deal with less money. He took less money than Irsay offered him in order to sign veterans like Addai.

I completely agree, I dont know what the new CBA rules are but if Manning is able to and fully agrees to then I'm all for it. I just don't know if he can or what rules are in place.

He might be willing to do that if they were to trade the Luck pick for players that will actually see the field. I'm not so sure he would do that when they draft a player that won't see the field for a few years.

The fact that Peyton is still not healthy should make even the casual folks who get sports go, it's time for the Colts to move towards the future.

He was evaluated at 85-90% back to normal. For that, he is still better than 98% of the leauges QB's. Id say come March eval he will be at 100%. Jmo

I completely agree, I dont know what the new CBA rules are but if Manning is able to and fully agrees to then I'm all for it. I just don't know if he can or what rules are in place.

Yeah I am not sure what the new CBA rules are as far as this goes. However, based on Manning's character, I see him restructure his contract. The current one has 4 years left on it. I don't see that happening, personally; not in Indy and nowhere else.

You're missing the point, and shoving words in my mouth.

Yes, lets retain a QB that has the talent to carry a sorry defense to the SB twice. Except....this time I was thinking it would be cool if we actually gave him a defense instead of drafting his replacement and saying "thanks for the memories". Multiple 1st and 2nd round picks can easily acquire a solid defense for Manning.

The fact that Peyton is still not healthy should make even the casual folks who get sports go, it's time for the Colts to move towards the future.

I'm sure they were going to fail him no matter what. If he passes the physical he can't have access to the Colts facilities during the off season. Whether he genuinely failed the physical or they fudged it, we won't know

He was evaluated at 85-90% back to normal. For that, he is still better than 98% of the leauges QB's. Id say come March eval he will be at 100%. Jmo

85% of what? His throwing, his nerve regeneration?

So we have Peyton not right, due for a huge sum of money, while having the 1 pick.

I really don't think this is going to be to difficult from a football stand point, emotionally it will suck though.

You're missing the point, and shoving words in my mouth.

Yes, lets retain a QB that has the talent to carry a sorry defense to the SB twice. Except....this time I was thinking it would be cool if we actually gave him a defense instead of drafting his replacement and saying "thanks for the memories". Multiple 1st and 2nd round picks can easily acquire a solid defense for Manning.

The problem here this time is, there are more offensive players that are F/A's this year than defensive. Garcon, Gonzalez, Wayne, Saturday, Diem are all F/A's. Lets ignore that though.

Mathis needs to be re-signed. Hughes is not the answer. Mathis will want Freeney-like money. There is NO ONE who can be a starting corner after Powers on a "solid" defense currently on the roster. Bullitt is injury prone, we still after all these years don't have a for sure answer at DT yet Nevis is showing promise.

Multiple first round picks will want $$$. Mathis will want $$$. Manning will surely take a lot of $$$. If you want Manning to have his weapons that is going to cost $$$. Wayne and Garcon will want $$$. The O-Line could potentially lose two long time starters.

This is all under assumption that these multiple first and second round picks dont end up like Hughes. This is all assuming the Colts keep an injury prone Bullitt.

If we use multiple picks on defense, what about offense now? My point being is there are so many holes coming up this season, having Manning AND Luck will handicap the Colts severely.

My point being is there are so many holes coming up this season, having Manning AND Luck will handicap the Colts severely.

Agreed. We must've had a fundamental misunderstanding. I don't want Luck here. I feel that will be toxic to our franchise and slam the window on Manning.