Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official "what To Do With The First Overall Pick?" Poll

79 members have voted

1. 1. What do we do?

• Draft Luck. Franchise QB > all
    • Trade down for more draft picks. Strong team > Franchise QB
    • Throw darts. (the undecided option)

When does Peyton go back for his re-evaluation March I think?

I'm going to wait till then to decide, but right now I'm looking at the possibility of Peyton playing so I vote for putting the money into the rest of the team instead of a back-up qb.

I think a year or two of sitting would be more than enough for a qb.

When does Peyton go back for his re-evaluation March I think?

I'm going to wait till then to decide, but right now I'm looking at the possibility of Peyton playing so I vote for putting the money into the rest of the team instead of a back-up qb.

I think a year or two of sitting would be more than enough for a qb.

Yes, although I'm not sure when exactly in March.

I'm just reading the tea leaves, but the impression I get is that Manning will be back. You're right though that presently we don't have nearly enough info to decide. But why let that stop us? :D

Yes, although I'm not sure when exactly in March.

I'm just reading the tea leaves, but the impression I get is that Manning will be back. You're right though that presently we don't have nearly enough info to decide. But why let that stop us? :D

True. :haha: But I stick my foot in my mouth enough on this forum. Trying to slide out of this one with a little dignity intact. :sun:

Take Luck. Look at the league now, its become a QB driven, passing league. Qbs are throwing for 5k yards and 40 TDs like its normal. Rookie QBs are coming in and having a lot of success over the past couple of seasons. Take Luck and build an actual team around Luck instead of having everything ride on his shoulders.

What is it going to take to get the notion out of the minds that Luck and Manning on the same team is good for the Colts? It hurts the team short and long term. Post Manning you need to rebuild... Manning wants to win Super Bowls, not be on a transitioning team! You can't keep Manning and have Luck, it doesn't make sense financially, it doesn't make sense from a personnel stand point. The Colts have soo many holes that need to be fixed. Taking Luck delays this process, unless its a complete rebuild.. Sorry folks, its one or the other...UNLESS Manning restructures, Freeney, Clarke, and others restrucuture.. Wayne and Mathis come back cheap..

One thing that was telling in Irsay's presser was his use of the term rebuild. To me I read that to mean the beginning of the end of the Manning era is upon us. I think they take Luck and start all over.

Or as Jedi.creech suggested, it could mean the unpopular move is trading the Luck pick and rebuilding the team through all the draft picks....

Or as Jedi.creech suggested, it could mean the unpopular move is trading the Luck pick and rebuilding the team through all the draft picks....

What you mean Jedi - isn't this your idea as well?

I don't think you start all over by still having Manning and his salary on the roster.

What you mean Jedi - isn't this your idea as well?

I don't think you start all over by still having Manning and his salary on the roster.

That's what I want to happen, but I think after the recent moves and comments, I think Irsay will try to make both co-exist! If Manning is healthy, your not starting over, your building a new younger nucleus of talent to help now and for the future!

That's what I want to happen, but I think after the recent moves and comments, I think Irsay will try to make both co-exist! If Manning is healthy, your not starting over, your building a new younger nucleus of talent to help now and for the future!

I get it but simply don't agree.

Take Luck.

If Manning is 80% or better of his former self, play Manning. If he isn't, let him retire or trade him and start Luck.

Manning at 80% could win a Super Bowl with half the teams in the league, so it's a win win for everyone. We rebuild with our future QB, Peyton goes off in to the sunset with a bit more jewelry to shut up what few naysayers are left.

Or, "worst" case scenario, we get to watch the GOAT QB pick apart defenses for another year. Terrible, right?

Either way, we're set at the most important position in the game for 0-20 seasons pending Luck's ability to stay healthy.

I will say it wouldn't make sense to take Luck and have him sit more than a year, though. He's just too talented. Let Manning play a season if he's healthy and we'll go from there. (Again, if he's nearly as good as he was).

Draft Andrew Luck.

It'll be awhile before there is another QB like him. There is no guarantee that Manning will ever be healthy again. Even if he can play, that doesn't mean he can't take a big hit and be done for his career. And then we are stuck with Painter if we don't draft Luck.

Take Luck. Look at the league now, its become a QB driven, passing league. Qbs are throwing for 5k yards and 40 TDs like its normal. Rookie QBs are coming in and having a lot of success over the past couple of seasons. Take Luck and build an actual team around Luck instead of having everything ride on his shoulders.

I disagree. Have you watched our defense this year? It's awful. If Peyton is able to play this all goes out of equation. Take a look at the Panthers this year their offense improved, but they lost games because of their bad defense. Our offense has weapons once you add some lineman. We need to fix our defense if Manning is able to come back. Then everything will be fine and we don't have to worry about a qb until he retires. Fire Caldwell, bring a defensive coach, and use our plentiful bounty of picks to get our defense better.

If they are certain that Manning can be healthy enough to play next season and finish out his contract, then the Colts should absolutely trade out of the #1 spot to collect additional picks, including another 1st round pick and strength their team... They won 2 games all year... they have holes and problems all over the place, so drafting a rookie QB won't solve anything in the short or long term. By getting more picks, they can start getting the pieces in place to build a new foundation of core players moving forward and they can get a backup for Manning in the 2nd or 3rd round of this year or next years draft and develop him for a few years.

If Manning won't be able to return to football because of his injury, then I would definitely say draft the franchise QB, but that means this team will be a door mat for at least 2 years while they rebuild around him as well. All of the Colts core players like Mathis, Freeney, Saturday, Clark and Wayne are all getting older and are going to be gone in the not so distant future... Even with Manning at 100% they wouldnt be able to compete without those players, so they need to start focusing on rebuilding the entire team with a whole new foundation of core young talent.

The decisions made this offseason by Irsay will make or break the Colts for the next 5+ years. It will be interesting to see which direction he goes, but having Luck and Manning on the roster together, like another poster said, doesn't help them short term or long term, because what good is a backup franchise Qb when there is no team around him.

I disagree. Have you watched our defense this year? It's awful. If Peyton is able to play this all goes out of equation. Take a look at the Panthers this year their offense improved, but they lost games because of their bad defense. Our offense has weapons once you add some lineman. We need to fix our defense if Manning is able to come back. Then everything will be fine and we don't have to worry about a qb until he retires. Fire Caldwell, bring a defensive coach, and use our plentiful bounty of picks to get our defense better.

If the Colts bring back Peyton @ 35Mill this(28M bonus + 7.5ish salary) year it will be much more difficult to address defensive needs as opposed to taking Luck who will be making something like 4m-5m. You can take Luck and still build a very good team around Luck.

I've decided that I'm on the Draft Luck, say bye to Peyton at the end of next season, so as to regain his trade value, assuming he can play (side note, why do you think Irsay is still talking about "If he can play"). Bring in Fisher and have him help in assembling the FO.

If your a Peyton first fan, than this looks like doo doo, but I think having a shot at continued excellence is the "smart football" move.

Lets put it like this, I know what Bill Belicheck would do.

Here is the hard truth, wich most of you will not like.there is a reason andrew luck did not win the hiesman or the bowl game,and the simple reason is he chokes in true pressure moments like thier kicker,peyton is the only qb for indy,coming out of tennesse he basicly told the colts pick me or i will beat up on you for the next 2-3 decades,we dont need the first round pick what we neeed to do is make some smart trades throught the first and second round try to pick up 4 picks within the 1st and 2nd round,the team need better rg and lg we need great backups to our line backers and serious help in the secondary,u may not like what i just said but its true,when peyton was in the game you never paid that much attention,now that he is not you cant help but see how awful the sevcondary is when you dont have a qb who can consistantly drive his team down the field for points.so there it is folks like it or lump it.

Here is the hard truth, wich most of you will not like.there is a reason andrew luck did not win the hiesman or the bowl game,and the simple reason is he chokes in true pressure moments like thier kicker,peyton is the only qb for indy,coming out of tennesse he basicly told the colts pick me or i will beat up on you for the next 2-3 decades,we dont need the first round pick what we neeed to do is make some smart trades throught the first and second round try to pick up 4 picks within the 1st and 2nd round,the team need better rg and lg we need great backups to our line backers and serious help in the secondary,u may not like what i just said but its true,when peyton was in the game you never paid that much attention,now that he is not you cant help but see how awful the sevcondary is when you dont have a qb who can consistantly drive his team down the field for points.so there it is folks like it or lump it.

What does the kicker missing two kicks have to do with Luck, and the Hiesman is a curse on QB's.

I've decided that I'm on the Draft Luck, say bye to Peyton at the end of next season, so as to regain his trade value, assuming he can play (side note, why do you think Irsay is still talking about "If he can play"). Bring in Fisher and have him help in assembling the FO.

If your a Peyton first fan, than this looks like doo doo, but I think having a shot at continued excellence is the "smart football" move.

Lets put it like this, I know what Bill Belicheck would do.

Even as a Peyton fan, it bodes well for him since he can hopefully finish his career on a TEAM and not have to lug around a bunch of refuse. Maybe he'll even get some more rings for his fingers.

Manning being traded would not be the worst thing in the world for the Colts OR him.

Dude, WHAT? He put them in position to win - TWICE - and got Vanderjagt'd TWICE. On top of the kicker already missing a chip shot earlier in the game. Maybe Luck should have suited up in their kicker's stead?

And for the love of god, BLACKMON. No defense in college can stop him. Did you watch the game? If Luck were on Ohio state throwing to Blackmon, you honestly think that game would have been close?

Luck is the best QB in college. Heisman trophy be darned. TEAMS win championships. Manning is the MVP every time he takes the field on a Sunday but doesn't get awarded the trophy every season. How is Luck's situation any different? When he plays it is like watching a more mobile Peyton Manning. He's incredible. It's exactly the same right up until the point his special teams and defense blow the game.

I take it you didn't watch the game last night or the game against the Trojans

No way you take a RB in the Colts draft situation! I listen to ESPN radio all day in my office & the people that get paid to determine where prospects should go ALL say Luck is can't miss!! Looking at his stats last night during the game just cemented my thoughts. He threw 0 interceptions in the red zone this year. That shows how brilliant he is with his thinking & throws. Never forget D Rhodes was our dominating RB in the Super Bowl!!

Here's the thing the people saying we shuold take another poistion we aren't going to do that. Luck is going to be the top pick the question is will the Colts be the team that make that pick or will we trade it away and it's a question we wont have an answer too till the new GM is in place and frankly till the team gets a better understanding of Manning's health.

Here's the thing the people saying we shuold take another poistion we aren't going to do that. Luck is going to be the top pick the question is will the Colts be the team that make that pick or will we trade it away and it's a question we wont have an answer too till the new GM is in place and frankly till the team gets a better understanding of Manning's health.

+1

No one can make assumptions as if we have definite information. We as fans do not know anything right now. All we can do is speculate and create "ifs".

Even as a Peyton fan, it bodes well for him since he can hopefully finish his career on a TEAM and not have to lug around a bunch of refuse. Maybe he'll even get some more rings for his fingers.

Manning being traded would not be the worst thing in the world for the Colts OR him.

As a Manning fan, and colts fan, this sounds ok to me. I would love to see peyton in a position to win some more hardware. Sadly, I don't believe he'll do so with us, because I feel we need too many improvements in other areas. He ain't getting much younger. I could see him on a team close to winning it all, but with (Sf, or Ny?) no qb. It could be a win for the colts too, because if Luck is what everyone makes him out to be, we can get back to being a contender. Afterall, it's gotta be tough to pass up the best prospect "since john elway".

Thank you. I have read posts on here lately where it has been suggested that Blackmon or even Kalil could be the first pick in the draft - mainly if St. Louis got the # 1 pick and that is positively a lack of understanding how the draft works. Luck will very clearly be # 1. It just depends on who is the team taking him. My guess it is Indy.