Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we make a trade for an elite 2nd CB?

Yoshinator

I've been watching our CBs closely for a while now, and it seems like Vontae is the only dependable CB we have (although he is elite). I have come to the conclusion that everyone else is expandable. We have seen this year that our 4 and 5 CBs are decent depth and we may have something in them. However, I do think that we can trade both Toler and Butler together and get a better CB. 

So my question is, would you trade them both for a better CB or maybe Toler and a draft pick for a better CB? I was thinking something like Toler and a 2nd for Desmond Trufant from the Falcons, or just bite the bullet and trade Toler and a 1st for Marcus Peters. We could keep Butler in the slot in this scenario. I'm sure there is some way we could use these two and/or draft picks to get an elite no2 CB that is young and can give us a solid secondary for years to come. We can still have Jalil Brown and Djoun Smith and be good to go.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the incentive for Atlanta to trade Trufant or for KC to trade Peters?    

At this point in the season,  those teams are trying to win.    Trading one of their best players for a future pick doesn't help them NOW.

A #1 isn't going to cut it for either.     And throwing in Toler isn't going make this deal happen either.

I would like to use the KISS method right now as it relates to our Roster. IMO Our defense is serviceable.. especially if we can get this offense hitting on all cylinders..we have the ability to stop the rush and provide a turnover here or there. If we can't get our offense hitting on all cylinders, dealing future picks away and or signing top flight talent that will command a lot of guaranteed $$$ might not be the best play right now.

Are you talking in general or trying to get something done this season? 

I would like to use the KISS method right now as it relates to our Roster. IMO Our defense is serviceable.. especially if we can get this offense hitting on all cylinders..we have the ability to stop the rush and provide a turnover here or there. If we can't get our offense hitting on all cylinders, dealing future picks away and or signing top flight talent that will command a lot of guaranteed $$$ might not be the best play right now.

Are you talking in general or trying to get something done this season? 

Honestly, I would like to get it done this season as soon as Toler and/or Butler is cleared from their injuries. Trufant and Peters won't command much money right now. Peters is a rookie and Trufant is in his third year. I just don't trust any of them at this point besides Vontae and it will hurt us down the road. It's unrealistic to expect to get one of these guys, but it would be nice to try.

At this point in the season,  those teams are trying to win.    Trading one of their best players for a future pick doesn't help them NOW.

A #1 isn't going to cut it for either.     And throwing in Toler isn't going make this deal happen either.

You are probably right on Peters as the Chiefs would essentially just be giving away Peters for Toler in the short term, with the 1st coming later, but a team like Atlanta might want to do it. They are rebuilding, and could use a 1st rounder. Trufant is useful, but not so good where he is off-limits. Crazier things have happened. I bet something like Toler and Butler plus a mid round pick would do it. That would boost their secondary a bit with a little incentive for next year.

Trufant is their best defensive player and to me a top 7 corner. He plays it even maybe on the level of vontae it would cost an arm and a leg

That's the problem who can or do we give up to get someone like that? We just cant start trading Draft picks either because we need to build our O.Line up in the future through the Draft and keep drafting young D.Lineman. I really think Grigson starts drafting Lineman more after this season, especially if we miss the Playoffs.

Atlanta or KC would never do that man. Like seriously never lol. Trufant and Peters are cornerstone pieces to ATL's, and KC's defense's for the next several years. And also. Its my opinion that if we're gonna make a trade during the season it needs to be for a big name guard. Trufant is actually a top 10 CB in the league btw.

At this point in the season, those teams are trying to win. Trading one of their best players for a future pick doesn't help them NOW.

A #1 isn't going to cut it for either. And throwing in Toler isn't going make this deal happen either.

There isn't one yet another silly post Hey let's trade our 1st round corner after 2 games brilliant minds on here. I'm sure Andy Reid is dying to make that trade lmao

Atlanta or KC would never do that man. Like seriously never lol. Trufant and Peters are cornerstone pieces to ATL's, and KC's defense's for the next several years. And also. Its my opinion that if we're gonna make a trade during the season it needs to be for a big name guard. Trufant is actually a top 10 CB in the league btw.

Trufant is better than top 10, he's more like top 5. I wanted him in the 2013 draft and he got drafted two spots before our pick. If we could get Botonio, I'm all for it, but it's just as hard to get quality O-lineman.

I took Peters a few times and somehow we ended up with Dorsett, not my fault.

Peters or Xavier Rhodes would look good in a colts jersey right about now. I wasn't one of those clamoring one for him, but tons of people on this board wanted a Rhodes.

There isn't one yet another silly post Hey let's trade our 1st round corner after 2 games brilliant minds on here. I'm sure Andy Reid is dying to make that trade lmao

Ok, smart mouth, you have an idea how to improve this team? How are we making the SB this year? Lets hear the words of wisdom from the mighty akcolt.

Peters or Xavier Rhodes would look good in a colts jersey right about now. I wasn't one of those clamoring one for him, but tons of people on this board wanted a Rhodes.

Yeah, Rhodes was the ideal pick after Trufant went off the board at 22. Definitely didn't want Werner. At the time I wasn't a member here and didn't have all the inside info on who was going where before the picks were in. I'm sure you guys on here knew Werner was getting picked a few minutes before he actually did. I was in a Red Robin and had to stop myself from screaming in front of a bunch of people, lol. Not a good round 1, two CBs and we didn't get either.

How bad is DeAngelo Hall's injury? We could get a guy like that I'm sure. It'd work for this year, but we'd need to replace him in the offseason obviously. If we're gonna trade for a corner it'd probably have to be a vet like Hall.

It doesn't seem that bad, but he always manages to stay off the field. It seems he is one of those players, not sure I'd be a fan of trading for him, although he is a solid CB.

That would be like hitting the lotto twice.

Maybe, but the point of the Vontae trade was that GMs aren't perfect. A lot of them will undervalue the ability of their players and steals will be found. There's always a winner and a loser in a trade. It doesn't have to be one team destroying the other like the Vontae trade, but even if we traded proper value for Trufant or Peters and they met expectations, we'd still be winners. You also never know what a GM considers proper value for a player. It's not always just draft picks, you can trade a combination of both.

Btw, for all of you making fun of me, we traded a 2nd for Vontae Davis and look how he turned out, it can and has been done. We can pull it off again.

So find a 'damaged goods' kind of player that you think a team would part with for a reasonable price, and present that idea. The Chiefs aren't parting with Marcus Peters for our MASH unit corner and a future first. A 2016 draft pick doesn't help them win that division. Same goes for Atlanta with Trufant, or any other team with a top flight corner. Not only that, but we traded for Vontae during training camp, not two weeks into the season. Teams aren't in the habit of trading their best players at this point of the year.

Setting that aside, I'm not super comfortable with the idea of having Peters. Especially not introducing him to a new locker room at this point of the season. Yes, sometimes young guys do stupid stuff, and yes, sometimes they get over it, but you still have to be careful.

If we want to add corner depth, it's going to be a replacement level player who is either on the fringe of his current roster or a guy who isn't on a team right now, for whatever reason (like Josh Thomas). 

So find a 'damaged goods' kind of player that you think a team would part with for a reasonable price, and present that idea. The Chiefs aren't parting with Marcus Peters for our MASH unit corner and a future first. A 2016 draft pick doesn't help them win that division. Same goes for Atlanta with Trufant, or any other team with a top flight corner. Not only that, but we traded for Vontae during training camp, not two weeks into the season. Teams aren't in the habit of trading their best players at this point of the year.

Setting that aside, I'm not super comfortable with the idea of having Peters. Especially not introducing him to a new locker room at this point of the season. Yes, sometimes young guys do stupid stuff, and yes, sometimes they get over it, but you still have to be careful.

If we want to add corner depth, it's going to be a replacement level player who is either on the fringe of his current roster or a guy who isn't on a team right now, for whatever reason (like Josh Thomas). 

A name that keeps entering my mind is Janoris Jenkins.

You mean guys like Jamar Taylor with Miami, Dee Milliner, Morris Claiborne, Kyle Wilson? Wondering about Ladarius Webb. Probably not

How bad is DeAngelo Hall's injury? We could get a guy like that I'm sure. It'd work for this year, but we'd need to replace him in the offseason obviously. If we're gonna trade for a corner it'd probably have to be a vet like Hall.

He's out for a month with a grade 2 tear. He may need surgery.

I don't know why we'd like to have another team's banged up corner when the present problem is our own banged up corners.

He's out for a month with a grade 2 tear. He may need surgery.

I don't know why we'd like to have another team's banged up corner when the present problem is our own banged up corners.

I haven't seen how bad his injury was. It looked bad last night when it happened but I wasn't sure the extent.

Jamar Taylor with the Dolphins would probably be an easy pick up but I believe he's got some injury history. Good size, speed and should be able to play inside or outside. Kind of on the outs like Vontae was down there. I'm just not sure if he would not be an injury concern though. Still a pretty young player

Ok, smart mouth, you have an idea how to improve this team? How are we making the SB this year? Lets hear the words of wisdom from the mighty akcolt.

You can't just pull off a blockbuster trade during the season for a top notch player. It's a terrible suggestion.

There is nothing to do at this point but to stay the course as far as personnel is concerned.

I haven't seen how bad his injury was. It looked bad last night when it happened but I wasn't sure the extent.

I'm just saying, people hate on Toler because he has the audacity to get hurt playing football, but Deangelo Hall is always hurt. He only played three games last year and is coming back from two Achilles injuries. He had three leg/foot injuries before the season started, and now he's hurt again. He's almost 32 years old. 

I know it's just a thought. But definitely no thanks.

I'm just saying, people hate on Toler because he has the audacity to get hurt playing football, but Deangelo Hall is always hurt. He only played three games last year and is coming back from two Achilles injuries. He had three leg/foot injuries before the season started, and now he's hurt again. He's almost 32 years old. 

I know it's just a thought. But definitely no thanks.

Yeah you got a good point lol. And I'm one of the people down on Toler too. I was just trying to think of a vet corner that plays on a bad team off the top of my head. But yeah. Since last year Hall's been hurt quite often.