Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats backup Jimmy G.

JimJaime

I figured I would ask neutral / not pro Pats fans as well as my rational PAts fans here this question(pats fans on our board are kind of annoying and unrealistic)

Ok the question is this IF the pats traded JImmy G what do you think they would get?

I THINK a first rounder as he has shown some promise and this QB class is weak. What do you guys think?

I don't see the Pats trading him anytime soon. He had another solid preseason this year and is the type of QB that can play well in this system. In another couple of years if it looks like Brady is still going to keep playing, I could see them trading him and getting a 2 back and maybe a 4 or 5 on top. The QB market is pretty awful with many teams looking for a quality QB ...

I don't think anyone is eager to trade for any New England backup QBs. Matt Cassel started a whole year, went to KC and did okay, but not worth the high 2nd rounder they gave up for him. Hoyer has mixed returns, mostly below average. Mallett hasn't done anything yet, but couldn't beat out Hoyer in camp.

I'm not usually dogmatic about stuff like this. But over the last decade, pretty much anyone that was hot stuff in New England didn't live up to their expectations once they left. Coaches included. 

Matt Flynn is a non-New England example of a favored backup QB who didn't do anything once he left.

Garrapolo looked pretty good in preseason, but I don't think he has significant trade value. Maybe a team with a QB competition would give up a late pick for him. 

I don't think anyone is eager to trade for any New England backup QBs. Matt Cassel started a whole year, went to KC and did okay, but not worth the high 2nd rounder they gave up for him. Hoyer has mixed returns, mostly below average. Mallett hasn't done anything yet, but couldn't beat out Hoyer in camp.

I'm not usually dogmatic about stuff like this. But over the last decade, pretty much anyone that was hot stuff in New England didn't live up to their expectations once they left. Coaches included. 

Matt Flynn is a non-New England example of a favored backup QB who didn't do anything once he left.

Garrapolo looked pretty good in preseason, but I don't think he has significant trade value. Maybe a team with a QB competition would give up a late pick for him. 

Good points here. The only thing I would add is Jimmy was a second round pick. The others were 7th round (Cassell who never played a down in college), Hoyer (undrafted), Mallett (3rd and considered to be a project).  The fact that all of them have been starters in the NFL is actually a testament to NE's system of developing QBs. And Jimmy has looked the most pro ready by far save for 2007 by Cassell who was pretty lousy in the preseasons prior. So I think there would be more interest in Jimmy down the line but again I don't see the Pats trading him at all unless some team makes a silly offer.

Yes they were terrible...but the bright side is they made a lot of money...mainly Cassel and Flynn...so I guess they canʻt be too  disappointed..I know I wouldʻnt be $$$$$

I doubt that the Pats are even interested in trading him, but if they did I doubt they get more than a 3rd for him right now. He doesn't have enough film to justify much more than that at this time. He did show promise in the preseason, but he still has a lot of development ahead of him. I also doubt the Pats would even field offers, but in order to make it happen I think it would take a 2nd and a 4th to get the Pats listening.

The Pats are too smart to part with him before his rookie contract is up which is still three years away. If Brady is still able to play at a high level in three years they'll probably try and move Jimmy G, but I doubt there'd he'd have much value beyond a fourth or fifth round pick.

The Pats are too smart to part with him before his rookie contract is up which is still three years away. If Brady is still able to play at a high level in three years they'll probably try and move Jimmy G, but I doubt there'd he'd have much value beyond a fourth or fifth round pick.

Screen name and avatar are awesome. :thmup:  haha

Not sure how one could get a 1st rounder as I can not see one getting a higher round pick for him than what he was chosen (2nd round), perhaps it might work for later rounders, get a 5th round pick for someone you picked in the 6th round, but I think 1st rounder is just too high imo.  Plus if it is a bad team (as good teams really do not need a QB), it is likely a high 1st round pick and the team might just want to pick their own QB in the draft as opposed to trading it away to the pats. 

Also, there is not a lot of film on Jimmy G. and I think the pats really would want to keep him as an insurance for Brady, injury or trade or what not.  If the pats like Jimmy G., which I think they do, they are not going to get a 2nd round pick back and lose Jimmy G.

As for the prior Pats back ups, no they are not all starting, but at the same time there are three pats back up still playing in the NFL, and few of them are starting and one just got traded for as a backup in Dallas.  Not sure if you can say the same for other teams QB backups playing on other teams.

Take into account also that he's only had snaps in pre-season games. He's never had to play with his back up against the wall, has not had the opportunity to lead a team to the playoffs.

Bringing it back now to preseason, where teams don't show all their cards. Vanilla Offenses, mostly about reps. So he's looked promising at best, not proving that he can be starter material or evolve into a franchise Quarterback.

If you want to talk about desperation situations for teams to bring in a Quarterback.It would depend too if it's during the Offseason and where that team would be selecting to see what you'd get in return.

My guess is that you want to get that pick back that was TAKEN away as a penalty. So it likely would go towards the 2017 draft instead of 2016..MAYBE, not sure.

Now at this point in the season which team would you say is a likely canidate that has their QB situation in lingo?: Houston Texans? Jags? LOL-Tampa Bay? (far too soon to call Jameis Winston a bust) Oakland Raiders? Nah, Derek Carr is on the positive side of the spectrum.

For the sake of argument let's just go with Houston to bring him in to compete with Ryan Mallett for the starting role. New England hasn't really needed him, but they have invested the time and money to groom him to where he is now obviously. His worth?...I don't want to be too generous or unfair when calculating this price.

Final Conclusive Estimate for Jimmy Garoppolo: a 3Rd rounder + 2 additional compensatory picks if he pans out.

3Rd rounder + 2 additional compensatory picks if he pans out.

i'm confused.  compensation picks can never be traded, or is that not what you meant?

edit- nevermind i think i get what you meant now.  they would get extra picks if he stays on the team long enough

Good points here. The only thing I would add is Jimmy was a second round pick. The others were 7th round (Cassell who never played a down in college), Hoyer (undrafted), Mallett (3rd and considered to be a project).  The fact that all of them have been starters in the NFL is actually a testament to NE's system of developing QBs. And Jimmy has looked the most pro ready by far save for 2007 by Cassell who was pretty lousy in the preseasons prior. So I think there would be more interest in Jimmy down the line but again I don't see the Pats trading him at all unless some team makes a silly offer.

I think he has second round value...there were several teams that were interested in drafting him that year and he hasn't done anything to lower his value....but nothing to really put him at first rd status either. I also agree NE has too much invested in him to let him go. NE is a big hit away from needing him and I think they would still be a playoff team with him. No reason to give up on a cheap qb that has experience in the system. I like the kid for what its worth...but I don't think he would be seen as elite first rd grade so I see NE keeping him. Besides maybe the NFL gets the Brady case overturned....unlikely but who knows...they might need him.

I figured I would ask neutral / not pro Pats fans as well as my rational PAts fans here this question(pats fans on our board are kind of annoying and unrealistic)

Ok the question is this IF the pats traded JImmy G what do you think they would get?

I THINK a first rounder as he has shown some promise and this QB class is weak. What do you guys think?

I think it's way,  way too early to call this year's QB draft class "weak".

It may turn out that way,  but it also may end up much stronger than anyone might imagine.

I think you're a bit low. 

So if you run the Rams, and Foles has an awful season and Fisher gets the boot, and your team is basically just missing a QB (or the Jets, or the Bills, or whoever), and you're intrigued by Garrapolo, what would you be willing to offer?

Probably something at the bottom of round two or top half of round 3 . But it's totally on how much you like him.

1st round picks are reserved for QBs who haven't played in the NFL yet. You know, can't miss guys like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell and Mark Sanchez.

Other 1st round QBs: Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers.  Are you trying to say 1st round QBs are busts?

Other 1st round QBs: Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers.  Are you trying to say 1st round QBs are busts?

I'd say it's about a 50/50 bust rate wouldn't you? My point being teams don't blink on spending a high 1st on a QB who has never played in the NFL yet someone like Garapolo who has had some success in the NFL, albeit a small amount, wouldn't warrant a 1st round pick.

I would have to see more game time experience from Garapolo but I might give up a 2nd or a 3rd for him. He has looked good in garbage duty.

I'd say it's about a 50/50 bust rate wouldn't you? My point being teams don't blink on spending a high 1st on a QB who has never played in the NFL yet someone like Garapolo who has had some success in the NFL, albeit a small amount, wouldn't warrant a 1st round pick.

I would have to see more game time experience from Garapolo but I might give up a 2nd or a 3rd for him. He has looked good in garbage duty.

So a 2nd round QB should warrant a first round pick?  Do the names Tarvaris Jackson, John Beck, Kevin Kolb, or Jimmy Clausen ring a bell?  Garropolo isn't worth a first round pick. 

Take into account also that he's only had snaps in pre-season games. He's never had to play with his back up against the wall, has not had the opportunity to lead a team to the playoffs.

Bringing it back now to preseason, where teams don't show all their cards. Vanilla Offenses, mostly about reps. So he's looked promising at best, not proving that he can be starter material or evolve into a franchise Quarterback.

If you want to talk about desperation situations for teams to bring in a Quarterback.It would depend too if it's during the Offseason and where that team would be selecting to see what you'd get in return.

My guess is that you want to get that pick back that was TAKEN away as a penalty. So it likely would go towards the 2017 draft instead of 2016..MAYBE, not sure.

Now at this point in the season which team would you say is a likely canidate that has their QB situation in lingo?: Houston Texans? Jags? LOL-Tampa Bay? (far too soon to call Jameis Winston a bust) Oakland Raiders? Nah, Derek Carr is on the positive side of the spectrum.

For the sake of argument let's just go with Houston to bring him in to compete with Ryan Mallett for the starting role. New England hasn't really needed him, but they have invested the time and money to groom him to where he is now obviously. His worth?...I don't want to be too generous or unfair when calculating this price.

Final Conclusive Estimate for Jimmy Garoppolo: a 3Rd rounder + 2 additional compensatory picks if he pans out.

I thought the most you could receive in compensatory picks for a player was a 3rd rounder ?