Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to change the Receiving Corps

James Harden

Dorsett will be fine, but as of right now you can see he's still somewhat of a rookie out there.  While he's putting things in place I think we need to take advantage of his skill set by targeting him with a lot of easy little throws and letting him pick up some RAC. Quick hitches, screens, slants  and whatever else to get the ball in his hands. I think we need to see more of this type of stuff against all these blitzes.  Just keep eating them up with it.  And for the life of me I can't understand where the heck the play action passes are?  I mean I was very happy to see Gore running more last night, but what's all that worth if you're not going to go with much play action?  We should have been doing that a lot, short and deep.  And the failure to use the backs in the passing game is really awful.

If this silly coaching staff will take out the time to develop more of an intermediate to short passing game to go along with all this Air Coryale stuff we see a drastic improvement in our offens.  We all know that this team has the tools to dominate if they make the necessary changes. 

Let's just sign all the elite free agent wrs available and drop the guys we got

did he say that? He said bring guys up from our PS?

Exactly as Colts_Fan12 said. I didn't mean changing the ENTIRE WRs personnel. I meant maybe adding Carter or Whalen in the mix to see if there is any change in our offense. We need a fire lit in our Offense, someone who is a gamechanger. Sorry if the title mislead you. I should have reworded better. 

The receivers aren't getting open because they're sending them deep every play. Hilton abuses people in short spaces, and we need to make more use of that. Have him run some simple slants and curls.

Johnson is old and slow, so I don't expect him to separate. I expect him to make tough/contested catches. He's been up and down though.

Moncrief is playing the best ball IMO. While he still lacks physicality, he's separating and making good catches and getting YAC.

Dorsett is separating but he's under used and when he was open against the Jets, Luck missed him.

The WRs are fine. It's everything around them that needs improvement.

I hope you are right on this. Luck seriously has a problem which we don't understand. Everyone needs to quickly get on the same page. 

Wow.. how about we give them a chance and not call for their heads after 2 games? lol... Not to mention.. it seems pretty obvious to me that the O-line has been the problem the first 2 games. Give them time too. There are a lot of new faces on this offense. Hwow about we let them develop some chemistry before we act like we haven't had a winning season in 15 years

If this silly coaching staff will take out the time to develop more of an intermediate to short passing game to go along with all this Air Coryale stuff we see a drastic improvement in our offens.  We all know that this team has the tools to dominate if they make the necessary changes. 

^^^This. Death by a million paper cuts, Brady has spent his entire life making a living and getting 4 SBs out of it. It works against elite Ds who don't give you time for 5 and 7 step drops often. Once Peyton learnt it and took check downs, our SB happened.

That is also why Belichick scrapped the Randy Moss experiment since he knew those 7 step drops to get Randy and Stallworth open took longer to develop if Wes Welker got jammed underneath, it does not work vs elite Ds in the playoffs. That is why he went the 2 TE approach and once Gronk was drafted, it gave them the flexibility to run 50 times or pass 50 times based on the opponent since Gronk could stay inline or split out for their no huddle, and continued the underneath havoc, just with a bigger catch radius of Gronk  :)

We need to learn our lessons from the past and our opponents. Our OL is not as bad as it is being made out to be. Our play calling and play selection does not give Luck enough options and makes him hold on to the ball longer, and part of it is Andrew Luck as well.

Dorsett will be fine, but as of right now you can see he's still somewhat of a rookie out there.  While he's putting things in place I think we need to take advantage of his skill set by targeting him with a lot of easy little throws and letting him pick up some RAC. Quick hitches, screens, slants  and whatever else to get the ball in his hands. I think we need to see more of this type of stuff against all these blitzes.  Just keep eating them up with it.  And for the life of me I can't understand where the heck the play action passes are?  I mean I was very happy to see Gore running more last night, but what's all that worth if you're not going to go with much play action?  We should have been doing that a lot, short and deep.  And the failure to use the backs in the passing game is really awful.

I'd be happy to see any of the receivers run quick hitches, screens, slants, shallow crosses or rub routes, every now and then.

^^^This. Death by a million paper cuts, Brady has spent his entire life making a living and getting 4 SBs out of it. It works against elite Ds who don't give you time for 5 and 7 step drops often. Once Peyton learnt it and took check downs, our SB happened.

That is also why Belichick scrapped the Randy Moss experiment since he knew those 7 step drops to get Randy and Stallworth open took longer to develop if Wes Welker got jammed underneath, it does not work vs elite Ds in the playoffs. That is why he went the 2 TE approach and once Gronk was drafted, it gave them the flexibility to run 50 times or pass 50 times based on the opponent since Gronk could stay inline or split out for their no huddle, and continued the underneath havoc, just with a bigger catch radius of Gronk  :)

We need to learn our lessons from the past and our opponents.

Whenever the question is asked to Luck, Pagano and Co how they will respond to the blitz they always say "Make Them Pay".and you know that means they want to throw ball deep against the one on one coverage.  These dudes need to learn there is a way to make them pay throwing short and taking check downs to the running backs also.  I thought we had already figured this out during the playoffs, but the concept is still lost on all of them.

Whenever the question is asked to Luck, Pagano and Co how they will respond to the blitz they always say "Make Them Pay".and you know that means they want to throw ball deep against the one on one coverage.  These dudes need to learn there is a way to make them pay throwing short and taking check downs to the running backs also.  I thought we had already figured this out during the playoffs, but the concept is still lost on all of them.

Yeah, our only TD came with YAC with Moncrief, go figure, should tell them something.

Cromartie, at this point in his life, cannot keep up with the little shifty/speedster guys. So, if they put him on AJ, it works with AJ's declining skills. I remember Peyton hitting Garcon guarded by Cromartie in our 2010 playoff game that we lost at the end thanks to the Caldwell timeout. The Cromartie of 2006-2007 would have gotten to that pass but his ability vs speedy/shifty wideouts has eroded. Watch the Pats school him with Amendola or Edelman or even Lafell with comebacks and quick ins/outs. If the Jets are smart, they put Cromartie on Gronk for the size matchup with safety doubling which fits Cromartie's skills at this point in his life, but that is their problem.

So, our 3 WR formation should have been T.Y., Dorsett and Moncrief sooner than later vs the Jets, IMO.

Here's what troubles me personally: Against elite defenses like Buffalo & NY, the Colts can't run the ball & because of this fact Luck is forced to throw the ball almost nonstop increasing picks & yet more vicious hits. Even the strongest frame cracks at some point. If we can't pound the rock in October & November, we are screwed. Our offensive line isn't good enough to win anything meaningful. It's just not. 

I don't care about our division at the moment. I care about teams outside our division. Who wants to win the AFC South if NE crushes us again? And right now, I guarantee you that they will pulverize us. 

We actually ran well, but penalties killed us, then we fell behind, so we had to pass to catch up and our O Line cant block.

Exactly as Colts_Fan12 said. I didn't mean changing the ENTIRE WRs personnel. I meant maybe adding Carter or Whalen in the mix to see if there is any change in our offense. We need a fire lit in our Offense, someone who is a gamechanger. Sorry if the title mislead you. I should have reworded better. 

Neither of those guys would make any difference to this offense. The receivers might not be playing great, but they really aren't the problem. Replacing any of them with lesser receivers certainly isn't a solution.

Against our 5th and 6th string CB's and Safeties.  Against the Browns he was held to just 62 yards, but included a TD. 

Uh.. your initial argument was that older receivers rarely come in and contribute... but... we literally played against someone that trumps that... Not forgetting to mention the likes of Steve Smith SR. for the Ravens, Boldin for the 49ers (before their collapse), Moss for the Patriots, Marshall again for the Bears... Receivers no matter the age can contribute as long as they can still get separation.  Which is most likely why Grigs took him.

Uh.. your initial argument was that older receivers rarely come in and contribute... but... we literally played against someone that trumps that... Not forgetting to mention the likes of Steve Smith SR. for the Ravens, Boldin for the 49ers (before their collapse), Moss for the Patriots, Marshall again for the Bears... Receivers no matter the age can contribute as long as they can still get separation.  Which is most likely why Grigs took him.

So youre saying Marshall is good because he played against our worst defenders?

You named 4 people, one of which is an automatic Hall of Famer.  4 does not constitute a trend in the broad scheme of things.

We had two games against the some of the top defenses in the league, and now we need to replace the entire receiving corp and Johnson is the problem, not the team as a whole?  

Do you see what I am talking about the insane over reaction that is going on? Everyone expects him to come in and be an instant elite receiver in an offense he just started in?  Come on people, get a grip here.

BINGO!

Exactly...

The coaches should have approached the Jets game like this....all week in practice they should have told the team "NO PASSES OVER 10 YDS"!  Seriously,  every pass play sgould be under 10 yds until things opened up.  What is so hard about that?

I think Dorsett would do great in an Edelman type of role.  Why not?

So youre saying Marshall is good because he played against our worst defenders?

You named 4 people, one of which is an automatic Hall of Famer.  4 does not constitute a trend in the broad scheme of things.

We had two games against the some of the top defenses in the league, and now we need to replace the entire receiving corp and Johnson is the problem, not the team as a whole?  

Do you see what I am talking about the insane over reaction that is going on? Everyone expects him to come in and be an instant elite receiver in an offense he just started in?  Come on people, get a grip here.

Hmm? where did we get off wrong?  I'm not endorsing the replacement of all of the receivers... You made a statement that Johnson contributing was a reach because its rare that older receivers contribute.  And I'm just saying that there is previous evidence that doesn't support that statement.  Especially a receiver of the quality of Andre Johnson or well used to be. 

Last night the quick routes were open at like 4 or 5 yards a clip. On the pass to TY in the endzone, Dre was open on a hitch that would have got use a first down. Pep wants the big play only and is playing right into the defenses hands. If he isn't going to use the TE's, then spread it out with 3 or 4WRs sets and quick hit down the field. Slants, rub routes, crossing routes, RB screens

With Hilton having injury problems, we need to elevate Duron Carter to the 53 man. Johnson is just not showing speed or separation. Since apparently we are not throwing to our Tight Ends, start adding Whalen to the mix. He is our poor man's Julian Edelman. We need guys that can get little spaces or be wide open. 

Yes! This is what should be happening....but it won't because Bonehead Grigson signed Ancient Andre and will insist he gets used or Grigs will look bad....nothing worse than a stubborn donkey who wont admit errors and correct them for the good of the team...Andre, Pep, and the rest of his over-the-hill gang...all near useless.