Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anybody watched "Do Your Job"?

IcEWoLF

Since I watch all "America's Game" features when they initially air for the 1st time, I will take a peek at it sometime next week. It's on my DVR. I just gotta click play. 

Deflate Gate aside, congratulations 1 last time NE. I'll offer my commentary after I watch it IWF. 

The real question is this: If by some miracle the Cowboys won it all in this century would I still watch it? Hmmm...Is this before or after I curse for 45 minutes? Decisions, decisions...

"Do your job" is simply brilliant.

NFL Films -- which Bellichick is a huge fan of -- was given unprecedented access to the Pats team and facility for a year -- the whole 2014 season.

They take you through the Pats year....   the ups and downs...   including some deflategate...   and some never before seen Super Bowl video.    And they show you how they anticipated what Seattle might do and how they practiced for those specific moments,  including the last play of the game.

Great, great stuff.    Even if you hate the Patriots,  you'll appreciate how good and how well run they are day in and day out.

Well worth your time....   two thumbs enthusiastically way up!!        :thmup:    :thmup:

Did Bill say anything like we're moving on to our next opponent? Producer replies: "Ah Bill, there's no one left. You bet the Seahawks in February. Don't you remember?" 

Bill exits the room, jumps on his yacht, & he goes fishing with Jimmy Johnson & Nick Saban on board. I kid; I kid. 

NFL Films -- which Bellichick is a huge fan of -- was given unprecedented access to the Pats team and facility for a year -- the whole 2014 season.

They take you through the Pats year.... the ups and downs... including some deflategate... and some never before seen Super Bowl video. And they show you how they anticipated what Seattle might do and how they practiced for those specific moments, including the last play of the game.

Great, great stuff. Even if you hate the Patriots, you'll appreciate how good and how well run they are day in and day out.

Well worth your time.... two thumbs enthusiastically way up!! :thmup::thmup:

I didn't know that the Titans used that formation before us the 4 lineman formation.

Nick Saban is a genius!

They take you through the Pats year....   the ups and downs...   including some deflategate...   and some never before seen Super Bowl video.    And they show you how they anticipated what Seattle might do and how they practiced for those specific moments,  including the last play of the game.

Great, great stuff.    Even if you hate the Patriots,  you'll appreciate how good and how well run they are day in and day out.

Well worth your time....   two thumbs enthusiastically way up!!        :thmup:    :thmup:

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Very happy that Bill gave that type of access. It was great to hear from the coaches and all that they do to prepare the team.

What caught me by surprise was how Bill trusted his staff to compile the game plans for the Super Bowl while he dealt with the deflategate stuff. Goes to show you that as much as the media likes to paint him as a control freak and the Pats as a one man show, he has amazing trust in the guys around him.

I also liked how Bill delved into the formations he used vs the Ravens and explained where he got them from - both Tennessee who ran it vs the Jets the last game of the season and then Alabama.

They were saying after that show that Bill is a historian at heart and most likely agreed to do the show in order to have a documentation of how the Patriots have done things and their success. They said that Shula who was a lot like Bill in terms of running a tight ship regretted not having his success documented.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Very happy that Bill gave that type of access. It was great to hear from the coaches and all that they do to prepare the team.

What caught me by surprise was how Bill trusted his staff to compile the game plans for the Super Bowl while he dealt with the deflategate stuff. Goes to show you that as much as the media likes to paint him as a control freak and the Pats as a one man show, he has amazing trust in the guys around him.

I also liked how Bill delved into the formations he used vs the Ravens and explained where he got them from - both Tennessee who ran it vs the Jets the last game of the season and then Alabama.

They were saying after that show that Bill is a historian at heart and most likely agreed to do the show in order to have a documentation of how the Patriots have done things and their success. They said that Shula who was a lot like Bill in terms of running a tight ship regretted not having his success documented.

It was great to see the behind the scenes stuff, and it really goes to show what it really takes to be great in that league.

I always laugh when people are surprised that Belichick can 'act human' and show some personality...we in New England see it consistently through the radio interviews and weekend Patriots specials locally, but the rest of the country only sees his post game press conferences and instances where he comes off totally different. The guy simply loves football and has always opened up to people that don't ask stupid questions.

"and some never before seen Super Bowl video."

Was it legal?

Haven't seen the whole bit. Is this suppose to paint NE in a positive light, to program the viewer to feel like the organization is transparent in its dealings?

Why can't we access Spygate evidence or texts messages?

This had no hidden agenda...it was simply a documentary type program with behind the scenes interviews showing how the coaches prepared the team during their Championship season. 

It would be worth the watch regardless of what team it was focusing on. 

This had no hidden agenda...it was simply a documentary type program with behind the scenes interviews showing how the coaches prepared the team during their Championship season. 

Yeah okay, I get that. But only from a football perspective. I've stated many times on this forum how the Colts should emulate Belichick's systematic/scheming techniques. The guy is a genius at that. And I give him total respect for that. But when it comes to everything else that concerns staying ahead of the fray at almost any cost? No. Given the last several days and months, I think I'll defer to not comment.

If any Colts fan wants to better understand why the Patriots were able to run the football so effectively against the Colts, they should be watching this thing. I haven't watched it yet, but I've read some comments on it, and it should deepen anyone's understanding of some basic football X's and O's. It's in my DVR queue.

I'm also going to reluctantly watch America's Game. 

What struck me the most was how many times they had practiced the Butler play which may never come up yet if it did they were prepared. But you still needed to execute/luck- was no guarantee.

Then the formations they ran against the Ravens where BB got it from other coaches but were careful when to use it and do so after halftime so the Ravens couldn't adjust to it in HT.

Particularly the double pass from from Edelman where they were going to use it against the Chiefs earlier but saw they didn't like the defense and had to quickly hide it less it's seen it can't be used again.

The biggest surprise was the Amendola play for a TD. That was drawn up last minute and practiced in a ballroom. No guarantee..just the gambles you take to win. And in fact Brady  missed the throw and told Josh go right back to it....TD.

If only we could see more of this. We all know there's a lot of strategy behind the doors but its so secretive. This is the stuff I miss.

And of course leads to wild speculation from fans because they really don't know the inner plans.

What struck me the most was how many times they had practiced the Butler play which may never come up yet if it did they were prepared. But you still needed to execute/luck- was no guarantee.

Then the formations they ran against the Ravens where BB got it from other coaches but were careful when to use it and do so after halftime so the Ravens couldn't adjust to it in HT.

Particularly the double pass from from Edelman where they were going to use it against the Chiefs earlier but saw they didn't like the defense and had to quickly hide it less it's seen it can't be used again.

The biggest surprise was the Amendola play for a TD. That was drawn up last minute and practiced in a ballroom. No guarantee..just the gambles you take to win. And in fact Brady  missed the throw and told Josh go right back to it....TD.

If only we could see more of this. We all know there's a lot of strategy behind the doors but its so secretive. This is the stuff I miss.

And of course leads to wild speculation from fans because they really don't know the inner plans.

Let me guess, Amendola would have practiced that play in the bathroom but Jim McNally was in there checking the PSI levels on the remaining game balls right? Who knows maybe there even was a working urinal in there. Imagine that. 

Yes, I know NE still won the SB fair & square. Touche. I did laugh though when I watched NE beat the NY Giants 6-3 in their 4th & final preseason game & I heard some Patriots broadcasters on the air moan & groan that until the Deflate Gate verdict came down that Foxboro fans couldn't really enjoy their SB victory. Give me a break & tone down the exaggerated rhetoric fellas TE Gronk seemed to be everywhere celebrating his club's Lombardi glory just perfectly fine to me as he deserved to do. 

Your team looks solid though. Blount ran the ball well, Chris Harper is gonna be a star in 2 years at WR, James White actually runs like a legitimate RB out of WI who might actually became your next Shane Vereen catching the ball out of the backfield, & I really like #44 your TE Asante Cleveland too. I feel bad that you guys lost FB Develin James for the year though. That dude was an enforcer like Mike Alstott used to be back in the day for Tampa Bay man. 

Okay, I thought another forum member i.e. NCF started an "America's Game" SB thread, but I can't find it after skimming thru NFL General so I will drop my impressions here since it fits here & is more or less related. 

I got a kick out of Marvel's "Captain America" AKA Chris Evans narrating the story of the 2014 NE Patriots. Hey, I'm cool with Foxboro being "America's Team" if it means that Dallas doesn't deserve that line of symbolic attachment anymore. I remember that Kansas City game on MNF & how ridiculous that some commentators were so quick to foreshadow Tom Brady's demise. Even on this forum, I said that Brady's not done & he's earned the right to have a less than stellar game once every blue moon. I love in the program when a reporter asked HC Bill Belichick are you going to make a QB change? And Bill just smirks at the outlandish question & his facial expression says Are you bleeping kidding me man?! Child Please. Stop wasting my time with such a lame scenario already. NE is not gonna roll over & just die over 1 regular season loss. We reboot for our next opponent & keep moving forward...Onward & upward man. 

I do like Brady's killer instincts/competitive drive. "Alright, time to put that final nail in the coffin boys" vs the Denver Broncos. Even if you hate the Patriots as a club, you've got to appreciate Tom's desire to win every game like his life depends on the outcome & I like how his juices getting flowing on sidelines when his team is down & he rallies his troops to keep fighting regardless of what the scoreboard says. I wish Peyton Manning would be more vocal on the sidelines like Brady is known for, but I think Manning drills his team in practice & holds their feet to the fire so that by the time the game rolls around he just loosens the supervisory leash & lets his teammates play fast, disciplined, & loose. 

WR Julian Edelman is a hard guy to not like. Always told he was too small to play football he never gave up or looked for sympathy. Neither his parents, siblings, or the grey hoodie would allow it. They were pushing Julian to excel on the field going from a QB to a WR. Nobody said the transition was going to be a cakewalk. Just take Bill & Josh's constructive criticism & not make the same mistakes over & over again & maybe just maybe you'll get to throw a nice TD to Amendola for 6 points with a sweet rotation on the ball that Brady praises you on. 

Gronk is just a big ole goofy TE teddy bear that you can't help not laughing at. Oh, he's supremely talented it's just that fitness is almost a religion to the guy. The dude knows how to cut loose & celebrate too. Notice I didn't say dance. That's okay SW1 can't dance either unless having a seizure or being tased in a law enforcement takedown qualifies as being smooth with the ladies that is.  haha Translation: Nobody will confuse me with Rita Hayworth or Fred Astaire on a dance floor. 

I still have a problem with NE's decision to lineup ineligible receivers on the field vs the Ravens. It's not illegal, but come on Bill just line up correctly without any trickery & beat the man across from you at the line of scrimmage fair & square. Clever deception my caboose. 

So, the program touches on Deflate Gate during the AFC Championship Game with no Brady initial press conference...I'm not surprised, but I didn't wanna see any childish "Free Brady" or "Berman For President" fan signs either so it's a good trade off I guess. 

It was cool to hear how Malcolm Butler went from just another dude on the roster to a Boston hero & favorite son. He seems like a good guy & that's what I love about the NFL: How 1 play can literally change your life for the better & make you believe that you have arrived & can compete with any other athlete in the league now regardless of your humble beginnings or the smallness of your college next to other big name universities.

I give "America's Game" a B- because it didn't delve far enough into the adversity of the Chiefs loss, Deflate Gate, & clawing their way back the jaws of almost certain defeat had Lynch just kept running the ball. I wanna feel the frustrations because overcoming them means more then. You can't just repeat "Do You Job" over & over again & expect me to feel inspired as a football fan. It's like commanding your offense to simply suck less. Okay. That pearl of wisdom just doesn't motivate me man. We've known for years the slogan of "Do Your Job" Bill care to put a new spin on it or throw a new wrinkle in there? 

I still have a problem with NE's decision to lineup ineligible receivers on the field vs the Ravens. It's not illegal, but come on Bill just line up correctly without any trickery & beat the man across from you at the line of scrimmage fair & square. Clever deception my caboose. 

You can't just repeat "Do You Job" over & over again & expect me to feel inspired as a football fan. It's like commanding your offense to simply suck less. Okay. That pearl of wisdom just doesn't motivate me man. We've known for years the slogan of "Do Your Job" Bill care to put a new spin on it or throw a new wrinkle in there? 

Ironically that's what the Steelers used to say to Manning with the colts with his pre-snap trickery. They used to say just line up and play.

"Do your job" is not even close to motivation reasons. Is just SOP or their marching orders. In other words worry about the 2-3 things you're responsible for and not worry about the other guy. The coach will put you in position to win- all you have to do is your job- your responsibility. That's how the cog works with Bill.

Motivation from Bill comes in other means- most of which we aren't privy to. One was putting a big ship's anchor in front of the locker room. "This is what you'll be pulling all year". It was the 1st or 2nd SB run.  Bulletin board material he will also use. His motivation methods are usually during practice.

I give "America's Game" a B- because it didn't delve far enough into the adversity of the Chiefs loss, Deflate Gate, & clawing their way back the jaws of almost certain defeat had Lynch just kept running the ball. I wanna feel the frustrations because overcoming them means more then. You can't just repeat "Do You Job" over & over again & expect me to feel inspired as a football fan. It's like commanding your offense to simply suck less. Okay. That pearl of wisdom just doesn't motivate me man. We've known for years the slogan of "Do Your Job" Bill care to put a new spin on it or throw a new wrinkle in there? 

The program was only an hour and it chronicled the whole season. Bill actually spent quite a bit of time discussing the Chiefs game and how the second half was the turning point for the entire season because he saw the team compete hard even though it was getting its doors blown off. That to me was one of the most revealing parts of the entire program. Deflategate had its part too as Bill talked a lot about his press conference and his Mona Lisa Vitto remark which I found humorous but not sure how much more could really be said that has not already been said the last 8 months. I would have been happy if they honestly just skipped over it completely as I am at the point of fatigue with it anyways. The most amount of time in the whole special was on the SB and how the Pats prepared for that last play and why Bill did not call time out. Again, I found it to be one of the most revealing parts of the whole show.

But I think any good show leaves you wanting more so I don't fault you for your take. I wanted more on the Denver game as I thought that was the really turning point in the season when the Pats leaped ahead of the Broncos as the favs in the AFC. I also wanted more on the GB game too as that was the Pats only loss after KC (not counting Buffalo when they rested everyone). Maybe the will do a part 2 for us crazy football fanatics. haha

I watched it. What Belichick and Brady have accomplished would make anyone jealous. Great franchise, Great team. You guys kicked our butt in the Title Game. 4 SB wins since 2001 and 9 Final 4's overall, that is unbelievable in the Belichick/Brady era. I still cant believe you guys let Eli beat you twice in the SB but stuff happens. The Colts have been incredible with our 1 SB win, and 5 Final 4's since moving to Indy but the Pats have set the bar and a team we need to beat in the Luck era to win a SB with Luck. It wouldn't shock me if Buffalo beat you guys this week, they have a nasty Defense. Then again normally Tom rises to the occasion. I give it a B regarding the program. It was Good but not Great. I actually still think Denver is dangerous. Of course I love Peyton because he was the face of the Colts franchise for years and we won a SB with him but their Defense is scary good.

Alright, I finally sat down & watched "Do Your Job" from NFL Network recorded on my DVR today. Here are my impressions of it: 

This program finally gave me a brief window into Bill & his coaching staff's reactions to the Kansas City loss, the ineligible receiver ploy during the divisional round of the the Playoffs vs the Ravens, Deflate Gate, & Malcolm Butler's interception that guaranteed Brady & Co. their 4th SB victory. This is what I'm after baby: Drive, motivation, adversity, & unleashing the killer instinct to bring your adversary to their knees & drop the sledge hammer decisively with authority & conviction. Cracking my knuckles...Let's dance shall we. Let's get a window into Belichick's mind & decipher what makes this man so effective at winning games every single season or at least 2014 anyway. 

First & foremost, Bill trusts his staff & he doesn't wanna be surrounded by yes man who kiss his caboose. Translation: You only get better as a team when you allow your coordinators & position coaches to tell the GM & HC when they disagree with him or they see a weakness that he might not be aware of. No one can rest on their past laurels or is above criticism. Once everyone knows that no one is untouchable or beyond improvement, the whole staff feels like their opinions will be given equal weight & consideration if you roll up your sleeves, forget about job titles or personal credit & work toward the Lombardi Promiseland. In short, no man in the film room is above a ball bust once in awhile. 

I love a few quotes from this program like this one. "If coaching is a chess match, then Bill Belichick is Bobby Fisher." One of my favorite films is 1993's "Searching For Bobby Fisher" directed by Steven Zaillian. It tells the story of a small boy named Josh Waitzkin [Max Pomeranc] who was a child prodigy when it came to playing professional chess & how Bobby learned to reconcile this rare genius game of strategy while still preserving his relationship with his father who lived vicariously thru his son's gift rather than let his boy be a kid, chill with his best friend, & do recreational activities outside & away from the sport of chess. Josh had a Russian chess master train him named Bruce Pandolfini [ben Kingsley] who trained him to be cut throat & feel contempt for whatever competitor he faced & yet Josh was kind to his chess opponents feeling no venom toward them thanks in part to his mother Bonnie [Joan Allen] who wanted her son to never hate any competitor he faced & always be respectful toward them at all times. Anyway, Josh's chess instructor Bruce always drilled into his head the following slogan: "Don't Move Until You See It." Translation: Think many moves ahead, anticipate what your rival will do ahead of time, & before you move in for the victory, plan out the exit strategy in your head making the outcome almost a forgone conclusion in your favor. Bill Belichick in my mind is this Russian chess master....

Another quote that made me chuckle outloud was this one from Ernie Adams, Director Of Football Research: "A good football team is like a racehorse. You gotta have the blinders on going straight ahead." The question is from what? Media distractions or NFL rules Ernie? Hmmm...Then, Ivan Fears says this gem. "It [the deflate gate] ticks you off that it [air pressure scandal] becomes the focal point of everybody that talks about you [your franchise]. Um, Excuse me fellas, but does Jim McNally, Tom Brady, or turning a blind eye to a level playing field bear any responsibility to the predicament that your organization found itself entrenched in at all? It's fascinating to watch how some Foxboro fans & employees can remove any culpability from their own front door isn't it? Fine. So be it. Yes, NE beat Seattle fair & square in the SB. I'm not questioning that just this notion that the rest of the country is jealous of NE & out to take them down by any means necessary. Translation: Tom Brady is not innocent here & even though he never directly removed air from game balls you can't tell me he was completely oblivious to what was going on. I'm not that gullible & I stopped reading fairy tales after I was age 10. 

When I watched that sequence about the "My Cousin Vinny"/ Mona Lisa Veto press conference, I kept asking myself the same question: Why is Bill not a scientist trying to explain so hard to the assembled audience reasons or environmental conditions as to why footballs might lose air pressure? To Bill's credit, he never admitted he was a scientist, but it's like someone accused of embezzling a bank's money possible alternatives to where the money could have gone. It's not stolen. No, it's merely misplaced right? LOL! Generally, when a person or agency is accused of foul play, it's never a good idea to speculate as to what might have happened in this case particularly when Tom not Bill touches the ball every single snap. I'm just saying. 

I did like how this program dealt with the Chiefs loss on MNF by reading that Grantland article aloud among different staff members. Brady wasn't done. It always fascinates me how a HOF QB has 1 offnight in 10 years & the media claims the Patriots dynasty is demolished & virtually disintegrated to dust & rubble. That'd be like me disowning Luck & demanding that Matt Hasselbeck start simply because Buffalo ramrodded INDY on Sunday. That's when you find out about mental QB & team toughness man. Do we abandon ship or batton down the hatches & take no prisoners from that day forward? Brady is a cold blooded assassin on a football field 95% of the time & that's why I like him. Losing isn't an option man. He & his troops will go down swinging in a kamikaze attack to the death if necessary. The dude never quits. Hades, he'd compete at anything: Paper delivery boy, lawn mowing, & folding laundry too. 

It was cool to see how Malcolm Butler redeemed himself in the SB with that goal line interception for all the confetti marbles in February though especially when he was beaten in practice on the same play in AZ earlier that week. Seeing no name guys became famous household names & local folk heros is pretty cool. 

I appreciated a glimpse behind the Foxboro curtain & I would have keep pounding the ball vs my Colts in the Championship Game too since we sure as hades couldn't stop Mr. Blunt Force Trauma at RB either. Since "DO Your Job" was more in depth behind closed doors, let's roll with a B+ because the program gave me a taste of success in NE, but I want the winning formula personally. A good show indeed. 

Ironically that's what the Steelers used to say to Manning with the colts with his pre-snap trickery. They used to say just line up and play.

"Do your job" is not even close to motivation reasons. Is just SOP or their marching orders. In other words worry about the 2-3 things you're responsible for and not worry about the other guy. The coach will put you in position to win- all you have to do is your job- your responsibility. That's how the cog works with Bill.

Motivation from Bill comes in other means- most of which we aren't privy to. One was putting a big ship's anchor in front of the locker room. "This is what you'll be pulling all year". It was the 1st or 2nd SB run.  Bulletin board material he will also use. His motivation methods are usually during practice.

I think Peyton's calls at the line of scrimmage aren't really trickery to me because all you have to do is block out Peyton's verb age & watch the center snap the ball so I really don't see it as that difficult to overcome if your defense is alert JJ. I just agree with John Harbaugh that 'ineligible WR' stuff is kind of cheap & bush league to me. It's not cheating that's true, but it's not how football should be played to me. You beat the man across from you plain & simple. You don't line up & then stop or back up. Come on. Nobody will ever be able to justify to me that ineligible recievers are an innovative move. It's just a deceptive play that borders on unethical to me. You just don't do it.

If your guy jams my guy, deflects the ball, picks it off, or sacks my field general, I'm cool with that or I accept that you outperformed me. But, declaring that you're not active on the field of play is just dumb to me & if you score on me using it, I'm not gonna praise your intellectual prowess over it. I'll just roll my eyes at you. Really dude? Seriously? Whatever man. 

i refuse to watch it. I did watch A Football Life with Bill Bellicheck. I started to admire his work ethic and then I turned off the TV and remembered I was a Colts fan.

You gotta admit that the Patriots could have ran up the score to 62-7 in the AFC Championship but they just kept neutral. They literally only got to 45 because the defense was so horrid. And also because Luck can at any point come back 35 points lol.Like the Chiefs...

The program was only an hour and it chronicled the whole season. Bill actually spent quite a bit of time discussing the Chiefs game and how the second half was the turning point for the entire season because he saw the team compete hard even though it was getting its doors blown off. That to me was one of the most revealing parts of the entire program. Deflategate had its part too as Bill talked a lot about his press conference and his Mona Lisa Vitto remark which I found humorous but not sure how much more could really be said that has not already been said the last 8 months. I would have been happy if they honestly just skipped over it completely as I am at the point of fatigue with it anyways. The most amount of time in the whole special was on the SB and how the Pats prepared for that last play and why Bill did not call time out. Again, I found it to be one of the most revealing parts of the whole show.

But I think any good show leaves you wanting more so I don't fault you for your take. I wanted more on the Denver game as I thought that was the really turning point in the season when the Pats leaped ahead of the Broncos as the favs in the AFC. I also wanted more on the GB game too as that was the Pats only loss after KC (not counting Buffalo when they rested everyone). Maybe the will do a part 2 for us crazy football fanatics. haha

I was actually glad that Bill & his staff at least touched on the Deflate Gate controversy because you can't ignore the pick elephant in the room. I didn't expect the program to go into elaborate detail but at least the subject got mentioned because otherwise it's like food between your teeth or on your face that everyone knows is there but nobody says anything. Yeah I know, neither side is going to persuade the other one to modify their stance at this point I get that. 

It's always funny to me whenever I see Bill smile probably because he's so stoic & straight faced during team press conferences. Watching him smile at his "My Cousin Vinny" car reference joke was cute because it's like Bill knew it was clever & nobody saw that coming. It's like a nerd with no game strut his mojo & somehow get the pretty girl in the end. You just never saw that Mona Lisa Vitto remark coming & it hit you right between the eyes & then Bill cracks a smile & you go Ha! Ha! Bill laughed his own joke. I do that a lot. Laugh at my own foolishness even if the rest of the world thinks I'm nuts. That's where swag comes into play. People get a kick out of confidence even if at 1st glance you go what the hades? Where did that craziness come from man? And you just shake your head & chuckle. 

I do have to give Robert Kraft credit. As an NFL owner, he let his staff speak for themselves & he didn't feel compelled to dominate the program with his presence like say Jerry Jones or Daniel Synder would if the show was all about their organizations. 

Yeah, there probably will be a "Do Your Job" Prt. 2 & I will watch it as well. I can see why Josh McDaniels is so well respected. The dude just seems very approachable, smart, & quick on his feet. If he gets another head coaching gig, he will be successful IMO.