Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Odds Of Manning Returning

Deano1818

I am one of the biggest fans of Peyton Manning out there.

I have never seen someone turn a franchise around, and keep it competitive

For so very long.

He is a hall of famer for certain.

But...... I personally dont expect him back. (even though i wished it werent so)

There are 2 problems.

1) Peyton has had his 3rd surgery in a little over a year. On Sept 8th when he had the most recent surgery, he opted for the surgery that would speed up the healing process. It was quoted by several sources that he would be back in 6-8 weeks. Another source said he would be playing in 8-12 weeks.

It has now been 17 weeks.

He reportedly will probably fail a physical this week. After 2 other surgeries, that were completed that also failed, it appears from the surface, that this last one is not on track, and may also be a failure.

With NFL QBs a significant drop in velocity can change a great QB to an average QB or worse.

I remember watching Bert Jones go from a great player to an average player, after losing that velocity.

(i realize that a rotater cuff surgery is different than what Peyton had, but both surguries may impact velocity of the football)

90 percent healthy doesnt cut it in the NFL for a QB, nor should you pay that much money for what may now be an average NFL QB.

2) This team has huge holes and aging vets. I know we dont approach the league like Dan Snyder with

FA's, but 28 million would go a long way to rebuilding our team.

I hope i am wrong, but unless Peyton restructures, and makes an amazing recovery, I don't see him here next year.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also believe that we will draft Andrew Luck with the first pick. This contributes to my reasoning as well.

The only way Luck gets better is to play. He will be the QB of the future.

Sitting him, will only delay his progress.

Again...... I hope im wrong.

For so very long.

But...... I personally dont expect him back. (even though i wished it werent so)

There are 2 problems.

1) Peyton has had his 3rd surgery in a little over a year. On Sept 8th when he had the most recent surgery, he opted for the surgery that would speed up the healing process. It was quoted by several sources that he would be back in 6-8 weeks. Another source said he would be playing in 8-12 weeks.

He reportedly will probably fail a physical this week. After 2 other surgeries, that were completed that also failed, it appears from the surface, that this last one is not on track, and may also be a failure.

With NFL QBs a significant drop in velocity can change a great QB to an average QB or worse.

I remember watching Bert Jones go from a great player to an average player, after losing that velocity.

(i realize that a rotater cuff surgery is different than what Peyton had, but both surguries may impact velocity of the football)

90 percent healthy doesnt cut it in the NFL for a QB, nor should you pay that much money for what may now be an average NFL QB.

2) This team has huge holes and aging vets. I know we dont approach the league like Dan Snyder with

I hope i am wrong, but unless Peyton restructures, and makes an amazing recovery, I don't see him here next year.

Deano...

Did you see this last week??

Peyton Manning Is At '85-90%' And Improving

by Brad Wells (BBS) on Dec 22, 2011 10:56 AM EST in 2011 Colts News

91267_Steelers_Colts_Football.jpg

3 months ago: Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning looks on before the start of an NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Sunday, Sept. 25, 2011, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/AJ Mast)

Yesterday, we got some positive news from Colts running back Joseph Addai regarding the improving health of quarterback Peyton Manning. From Paul Kuharsky:

"He's not throwing deep-level passes, but the short stuff is really good enough to play," Addai said.

"He's coming along good," Addai said. "He's looking good and he throws a good ball."

Today, we get even better news, this time from Sports Illustrated's Will Carroll. Will is a well-connected expert on player injuries, and he is based in Indianapolis:

Peyton Manning is throwing at 85-90% and showing signs that the rest is conditioning, not nerve. Very positive.

Because of the spinal fusion surgery and the recovery time afterwards, it's been no secret that Peyton has looked out of shape when we've seen glimpses of him on the sidelines of games he's attended. This is understandable. The man was only recently cleared to begin running a month ago.

Aside from conditioning, Will's tweet is the first real news we've gotten that the nerve in Peyton's neck is regenerating. Likely, he can feel his triceps muscle again, and he is able to deliver the football with some zip.

Now, can he still throw the ball deep? Can he still zing it in there between multiple defenders? Is he still 'Peyton Manning?' We don't really know. What we do know is he is closer to the field general we all knew (and that the rest of the NFL feared) than he was in September.

Honestly with what happened today, I would expect nothing less than Manning being back. Clearly, Jim Irsay holds Peyton Manning in high regard and has already said that it is not about money both rather if Peyton is physically okay to play. Well, I too saw the news of him at 85-90% there. And, being someone who has had the same surgery, where he is right now is where I would expect him to be.

I fully expect next year to have Peyton Manning at QB with Andrew Luck backing him up. The only way that doesn't happen is if Luck pulls a Elway and refuses to play here and we just trade the pick away.

Honestly with what happened today, I would expect nothing less than Manning being back. Clearly, Jim Irsay holds Peyton Manning in high regard and has already said that it is not about money both rather if Peyton is physically okay to play. Well, I too saw the news of him at 85-90% there. And, being someone who has had the same surgery, where he is right now is where I would expect him to be.

I fully expect next year to have Peyton Manning at QB with Andrew Luck backing him up. The only way that doesn't happen is if Luck pulls a Elway and refuses to play here and we just trade the pick away.

And add on, Luck doesnt seem to be a pompus like elway is. Seems like a humble guy that likes and respects Manning.

Yeah, I'm tired of why "they can't exist" articles. Both Manning and Luck have been quoted as saying "they can exist" together. Either way, Irsay already has a plan and he is about to let it be known.

Again, if, and it's a big if, Manning is able to play, it would be a crime to lose him without much in the way of compensation. Not sure what the league would award us with if he signs elsewhere. One thing is now certain. One reason for keeping him would be to help bring Luck up to speed with the offense. Now the offense is going to be new to Peyton too. One more reason he probably won't be here.

I also believe that we will draft Andrew Luck with the first pick. This contributes to my reasoning as well.

The only way Luck gets better is to play. He will be the QB of the future.

Sitting him, will only delay his progress.

Again...... I hope im wrong.

Didnt seem to hurt Arron Rodgers. While I agree somewhat with you, what if lucks a bust? I say bench him to learn and if he doesnt cut the mustard, release him then.

Didnt seem to hurt Arron Rodgers. While I agree somewhat with you, what if lucks a bust? I say bench him to learn and if he doesnt cut the mustard, release him then.

In every single drafting scenario, the #1 pick plays. Please name the last one who didn't start.

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the late 20's on a team that had a HOF QB that still had a few years to go.

Completely different situation.

Don't worry about him not passing his physcial - they probably will have him fail it on purpose. As I understand it, under the new CBA if he passes his physical, the team's doctors can't have access to him until the new football year starts. If he fails it, he's considered a "rehabbing" player and can receive treatment from the team. It's in everyone's best interest that he "fails".

Please stop comparing Aaron Rodgers to Andrew Luck. Rodgers was not a #1 overall pick, he wasn't touted as the best prospect since Elway and in fact while sitting behind Favre worked on his mechanics and throwing hence why he wasn't #1 overall.

I think Carson was the only one that sat and his career is average at best.

I'm not advocating drafting Luck but if the Colts take Luck, he isn't sitting on the bench. Something has got to give. Jason from NFL.com earlier today said it best, Manning is due 28mill+ something like 7m more. Paying 35mill for a QB and a #1 pick even with the CBA rules would cripple the Colts. Brackett, Freeney, and Clark aren't about to restructure just to sign some young QB. That on top of the glaring holes needed to be filled + free agents like Mathis and Wayne just doesn't make sense. Something has to give.

Please stop comparing Aaron Rodgers to Andrew Luck. Rodgers was not a #1 overall pick, he wasn't touted as the best prospect since Elway and in fact while sitting behind Favre worked on his mechanics and throwing hence why he wasn't #1 overall.

I'm not advocating drafting Luck but if the Colts take Luck, he isn't sitting on the bench. Something has got to give. Jason from NFL.com earlier today said it best, Manning is due 28mill+ something like 7m more. Paying 35mill for a QB and a #1 pick even with the CBA rules would cripple the Colts. Brackett, Freeney, and Clark aren't about to restructure just to sign some young QB. That on top of the glaring holes needed to be filled + free agents like Mathis and Wayne just doesn't make sense. Something has to give.

So, Manning restructures his contract..

So, Manning restructures his contract..

I'm all for having Manning even without restructuring his contract but then I would be against drafting Luck. I'm just saying it makes more sense to have one or the other. Having both would handicap the Colts. Also I doubt Manning would restructure his contract to let another QB on the roster that will take over the reigns in a couple years. He is getting the -expletive- end of that stick. To make it more interesting, Manning and Luck from what I read share the same agent. Its a messy situation.

Nobody else has had to sit because this is a very unique situation. The reason we are in this position is 100% down to Peyton's injury, most teams in the number 1 pick slot don't have anyone for the first pick to sit behind. Newton was never going to sit behind Clausen.

If Manning's arm returns to normal, since that was his biggest problem caused by the neck thing, I see no reason he cannot play 4 or 5 more years SOMEWHERE.

But it may not be with the Colts. With all the changes being made in the front office now, and the probability of a new coach, too, those hired may not be in favor of keeping Manning around and passing on or trading Luck. They may want to build from the ground up for the future.

I do think Irsay is on the side of keeping Manning and had disagreement with the Polians over that. Which may have influenced his decision to start cleaning house. But who knows? We will just have to see how it all plays out, won't we? The next few months should be very interesting indeed.

Either Manning or Luck is going to end up refusing the situation.....it's not going to be the fairy tale that Colts fans want.

Sure it will, possibly, maybe hahah ;). Colts aren't going to trade Luck anyways if they can't in other words, "rip," someone off. I'm sure we will either keep Luck or get a truck load of quality picks for him. I make decisions for the Colts organization, I'm Lord Tebow. I should know.

The same odds as successfully navigating an asteroid field.

3,720 to 1.

No, but seriously, he'll be a Colt. At least for one more year I hope before handing over the reigns of excellence.

Worst case scenario we start Luck out the gate and Manning retires, OR, goes to a contender and maybe wins a championship or two before he retires. Neither option sounds horrible.

For so very long.

There are 2 problems.

I'm not sure... but I think Irsay mentioned the word "rebuild" in his press conference. I don't think this is a ringing endorsement for the return of Manning (healthy or not)

I think this is going to be a clean break.

In every single drafting scenario, the #1 pick plays. Please name the last one who didn't start.

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the late 20's on a team that had a HOF QB that still had a few years to go.

Completely different situation.

Eli Manning.

Manning walks healthy, watch a hefty portion of the fan base walk. If he is healthy and Irsay pulls a stunt like ditching the man that built this team up, I will walk and follow Manning because its idiocracy to let a player like Manning walk away to another team.

Mr. Irsay, you will loose my respect.

Hmmmm, On one hand I can take the best QB prospect in Twenty years or on the other I can pay a bunch of thirty year old veterans that have back-ups capable of probably doing just as, if not, a better job than them for cheaper. (Excluding Freeney)

Manning walks healthy, watch a hefty portion of the fan base walk. If he is healthy and Irsay pulls a stunt like ditching the man that built this team up, I will walk and follow Manning because its idiocracy to let a player like Manning walk away to another team.

Mr. Irsay, you will loose my respect.

The NFL is a business. And successful businesses make very "tough" and "unpopular" decisions all the time.

And how do YOU know that Peyton is NOT the one who would saying ... "release me" ??????

QBing San Fran or the NY Jets looks a lot better right now than Indy.

And like the aricle stated... Manning and Luck have the same agent. Archie has thrown out the "Manning" stance. Add it up. These two are not going to be on the same team. ANd Manning on the open market will break the bank.

It will be one or the other. And I would bet it is Luck. Simply because of the uncertainty surrounding Manning and his neck