Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Odds Of Manning Returning

Deano1818

I think the odds of Manning returning are excellent. If you take a step back and look at the situation without all the media spin, hype, and outright fabrications, you'll see that this situation really isn't that complicated. Manning wants to be here, he has always said as much, he loves this team, he loves ownership, he lives in Indianapolis, just had kids here, and he wants to stay here. He knows that this is his team, and nobody, not even Luck, is going to take it away from him until he's ready to give it up. He's not some irrational 1st year player, he knows the business side of football and he knows the Colts have to plan for the future, and that involves taking his successor in the draft. He knows the Colts have a great opportunity here, one that doesn't come along very often, and they have to capitalize. The Colts are in a very good situation right now. Manning will restructure, play for as long as he wants (didn't he say he was only going to play for 5 more years a few years ago?) and he'll retire when he's ready.

Why should Manning restructure? Assuming Manning comes back 100% he deserves every single penny of his contract for what he has done for this team for the last decade and more. It seems whenever the Colts are in a knot, Manning restructuring should do the trick! It's not fair considering what he has done. Freeney, Brackett, and Clark could restructure just as well. They have been non-existant this year compared to their past seasons.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A)On Sept 8th when he had the most recent surgery, he opted for the surgery that would speed up the healing process. It was quoted by several sources that he would be back in 6-8 weeks. Another source said he would be playing in 8-12 weeks. It has now been 17 weeks.

B)He reportedly will probably fail a physical this week. After 2 other surgeries, that were completed that also failed, it appears from the surface, that this last one is not on track, and may also be a failure.

A)The "healing process" that they were referring to in the alternative surgery had to do with disk fusion. They were trying to get the disk to fuse as fast as possible to try and get him back on the field. It was a longshot, unrealistic, and frowned upon as not in Peytons best interests by our resident member neurosurgeon (nsurg). Whether this attempt to speed up the fusion succeeded or not has nothing to do with his long term health. The fusion is progressing normally (it would have been astonishing if it wasn't) and won't be an issue by next season.

B)His failing a physcial this week simply refers to him not being in sufficient shape to play football. It has nothing to do with whether or not the surgery was successful. Polian only mentioned it because it is the event that triggers Peyton being allowed to continue his rehab at the Colts facility with the Colts staff. Did you not think that he would spend the offseason rehabbing? This is much ado about nothing. And the first two surgeries were simpler procedures. The first one didn't fail, it addressed his comparatively minor complaint at the time and he played like an MVP the ensuing season. The second one "failed", in that he continued to have nerve issues afterwards, but that was an effort to short cut the problem without having to resort to fusion. So then he went ahead and ahead the fusion. The fusion has clearly succeeded, it's just not clear whether the nerve was already too damaged to allow him full use of his bicep. You make it sound like we are counting strikes and he is now out, but that's not it at all.

I was a huge Bert Jones fan and certainly understand your trepidation, but this is all about Peytons nerve. If it is once again functional (as some reports suggest it is), then personally I expect him to remain an MVP caliber player for several more years. What if he plays until he's 42, would you put it past him? You simply can't give up on him until you know that he has no chance to return to form (at which point he would likely retire anyway). If you have to gamble a little bit with the $28 million (and some salary cap pain) to find out, then I'm all for it.

I also believe that we will draft Andrew Luck with the first pick. This contributes to my reasoning as well.

The only way Luck gets better is to play. He will be the QB of the future.

Sitting him, will only delay his progress.

Again...... I hope im wrong.

Yea it really derailed Arron Rodgers career!! And Matt Flynn's to! Its how you coach them.

Why should Manning restructure? Assuming Manning comes back 100% he deserves every single penny of his contract for what he has done for this team for the last decade and more. It seems whenever the Colts are in a knot, Manning restructuring should do the trick! It's not fair considering what he has done. Freeney, Brackett, and Clark could restructure just as well. They have been non-existant this year compared to their past seasons.

As an opposing fan, I would LOVE for Colts and other opposing teams to overpay players in their later years who aren't as good as they were in the past.

Please, keep doing it!

Yea it really derailed Arron Rodgers career!! And Matt Flynn's to! Its how you coach them.

Luck is a #1 pick, Rodgers and Flynn aren't. #1 picks almost never sit. The only player I can think of is Carson Palmer who sat for a year.

A)The "healing process" that they were referring to in the alternative surgery had to do with disk fusion. They were trying to get the disk to fuse as fast as possible to try and get him back on the field. It was a longshot, unrealistic, and frowned upon as not in Peytons best interests by our resident member neurosurgeon (nsurg). Whether this attempt to speed up the fusion succeeded or not has nothing to do with his long term health. The fusion is progressing normally (it would have been astonishing if it wasn't) and won't be an issue by next season.

B)His failing a physcial this week simply refers to him not being in sufficient shape to play football. It has nothing to do with whether or not the surgery was successful. Polian only mentioned it because it is the event that triggers Peyton being allowed to continue his rehab at the Colts facility with the Colts staff. Did you not think that he would spend the offseason rehabbing? This is much ado about nothing. And the first two surgeries were simpler procedures. The first one didn't fail, it addressed his comparatively minor complaint at the time and he played like an MVP the ensuing season. The second one "failed", in that he continued to have nerve issues afterwards, but that was an effort to short cut the problem without having to resort to fusion. So then he went ahead and ahead the fusion. The fusion has clearly succeeded, it's just not clear whether the nerve was already too damaged to allow him full use of his bicep. You make it sound like we are counting strikes and he is now out, but that's not it at all.

I was a huge Bert Jones fan and certainly understand your trepidation, but this is all about Peytons nerve. If it is once again functional (as some reports suggest it is), then personally I expect him to remain an MVP caliber player for several more years. What if he plays until he's 42, would you put it past him? You simply can't give up on him until you know that he has no chance to return to form (at which point he would likely retire anyway). If you have to gamble a little bit with the $28 million (and some salary cap pain) to find out, then I'm all for it.

I think Peyton is more out of shape than anything. It's been what like 6 months since he's really been able to train like a professional athlete. He even looks out of shape on the sideline. If the reports are true that he's 85-90% there on his recovery, he's still better than most QBs at 100%.

There will be some salary cap pains to deal with and if Peyton decides to play out the rest of his contract, and possibly longer, there will be some grumblings with Luck and he would probably get traded.

As an opposing fan, I would LOVE for Colts and other opposing teams to overpay players in their later years who aren't as good as they were in the past.

Please, keep doing it!

You're making a big assumption that Manning will not be as good as he was his prior to this year. Hence in my post why I said if Manning comes back 100%. As in..you know. . .Peyton Manning.

And you make it sound like other teams don't overpay their players? *cough*Adalius Thomas*cough*

I think he is talking about Mannings salary+bonus AND lucks salary combined which would be about 40M-50M You're right though the cap hit is about 16m

$50M has been said all day on ESPN by multiple people but they weren't talking cap hit. I think they're talking about the total outlay of cash for Manning's $28M bonus, Manning's 2012 salary, and Luck's salary and signing bonus, which is a lot of cash to tie up for 2 players at the same position.

Gotcha, thanks.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Unless the team simply can't come up with the cash - which seems unlikely (they could always borrow the money if necessary) - then it's largely irrelevent. People on tv like to talk about things like this, but the fact is that the entire purpose of the salary cap is to control a teams expenses. Combine that with the sharing of the enormous tv contracts, and I suspect that it's pretty hard for an NFL franchise to not make money. You may happen to pay more in cash for something this year, but that only means that you'll be paying less in cash for that same thing the following year (with your income the same or higher). It would be bizarre for an NFL franchise to not be able to find some way to handle the "blip". If they want Manning and Luck, I assure you that they'll find some way of paying them. Sure it's a small market team, but all that really matters is the salary cap - and I imagine that every team in the league is pretty close to the maximum every year.

I think Peyton is more out of shape than anything. It's been what like 6 months since he's really been able to train like a professional athlete. He even looks out of shape on the sideline. If the reports are true that he's 85-90% there on his recovery, he's still better than most QBs at 100%.

There will be some salary cap pains to deal with and if Peyton decides to play out the rest of his contract, and possibly longer, there will be some grumblings with Luck and he would probably get traded.

I agree completely.

I agree that Manning deserves every penny of his contract and more, but he knows that he's rich, he has already said he doesn't want/need to be paid that much, and he should restructure because he's coming off a serious injury and a lost season. We don't know what we have in Manning until he straps the helmet on and laces up the cleats. He wants to win, he wants to put the best team on the field every Sunday, and that means restructuring. I'm sure other players will restructure to save money as well if the need arises.

You're making a big assumption that Manning will not be as good as he was his prior to this year. Hence in my post why I said if Manning comes back 100%. As in..you know. . .Peyton Manning.

And you make it sound like other teams don't overpay their players? *cough*Adalius Thomas*cough*

It's scientifically true that Peyton will not be able to move his neck as well as he did in the past. That will have SOME impact; who knows how much, though.

He'll also be 1.5 years older than the last time he played a game; that will have an impact as well. He's getting older, and is only 3-4 years away from retirement (if not a few months, depending on his health).

The NFL is a business. And successful businesses make very "tough" and "unpopular" decisions all the time.

And how do YOU know that Peyton is NOT the one who would saying ... "release me" ??????

QBing San Fran or the NY Jets looks a lot better right now than Indy.

And like the aricle stated... Manning and Luck have the same agent. Archie has thrown out the "Manning" stance. Add it up. These two are not going to be on the same team. ANd Manning on the open market will break the bank.

It will be one or the other. And I would bet it is Luck. Simply because of the uncertainty surrounding Manning and his neck

I totally agree. One bad hit can change it all. I think the best decision is draft luck. Are team is in shambles right now and will take a few years to get back to contention. I say start now. I will forever love Manning and what he has done for us. But its a business decision, does not mean I cant still have a man crush on the guy!

Maybe Manning stays. Maybe not. It would nice if Luck and Manning could coexist.

Here is the deal fans should remember that football is still a business and in order for your business to run efficiently you have to prepare for the future. The colts have been extremely fortunate to have the QB position solidfied for the past 14 yrs, but now it's time to make a difficult decision. One that could alter the course of this franchise for years to come. Number #18 arguably the best to ever lace'em up, but MJ was let go to the wizards; B. Farve to the jets; A-Rod to the yanks and Montana to the Chiefs. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Number #18 arguably the best to ever lace'em up, but MJ was let go to the wizards; B. Farve to the jets; A-Rod to the yanks and Montana to the Chiefs. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

None are similar. Rodgers waited and learned, Jordan retired and came back, A-Rod left his second team (the Rangers) to join the Yankees, and Young played second string from '87 to like '92. The football ones, the most relative, only happened after the players behind them were truly ready. It'd be foolish to compare Montana/Young or Favre/Rodgers to Manning/Luck at this point. Those guys were around the team, the scheme, the coaches and the players to the point that every in knew if they were ready or not. Luck could be great, but it's absurd to pretend that he's somehow too good to sit a year.

There's a lot of talk....

The fact that Manning and Luck have the same agent suggests they'll work out some kind of arrangement... to be teacher and pupil

Manning cannot be traded..its is not possible...due to his salary and injury situation...

the only one who could be traded is Luck....and you can give him a 4-year contract with a player-trade option after 2..

Most rookie QBs dont win........Luck SHOULD want to sit behind Manning for at least one season..and that's all we need to know if Mannng is OK

Manning can in fact be traded.. its just it will be next year. But he has to rework his bonus so that we can even keep him... if he doesn't rework it, then we will have to release him.. of course all of this assumes that he passes his physical, which he hasn't yet, in which case he will then be released anyway.

Manning has had 3 next surgeries in the last what year or year and half? He's made millions, he's won a Super Bowl, he going to the hall of fame, in my opinion he's too smart than to come back and risk his future health with a team that clearly is rebuilding. The chances he comes back to play for us I would say is about 10%. All it takes it one hit and he could be having serious problems. It's sad and he has been fun to watch but we got to be real.

Dude, you cannot state facts and make sense on this colts forum, it just doesn't work that way. You need to reach in your estimation that Peyton should last for 14 years, take the Colts to 13 Superbowl wins in that time, and of course, he will be doing it for free because he's so loyal to the Colts.

It's scientifically true that Peyton will not be able to move his neck as well as he did in the past. That will have SOME impact; who knows how much, though.

He'll also be 1.5 years older than the last time he played a game; that will have an impact as well. He's getting older, and is only 3-4 years away from retirement (if not a few months, depending on his health).

Show me where it is "scientifically" true that Peyton will not be able to move his neck as well as before? The surgery has made the bone in his neck even stronger.

Show me where it is "scientifically" true that Peyton will not be able to move his neck as well as before? The surgery has made the bone in his neck even stronger.

Scientifically, bones don't come back stronger. When properly healed, however, they do comeback about equally as strong. If I recall they are no more or less likely to break in the same spot. Tendons and ligaments, if I recall, are the injuries that are subject to re-aggravation. His injury was a nerve issue, however, so I'm not too sure. I recall one doctor (who hadn't worked on him) said he shouldn't be under any higher risk of reinjury when he returns.

Beyond this, I don't buy this "One wrong hit" hogwash. He plays football for a living. People think this will be the first time that one wrong hit could end his career? Kevin Everett, Joe Theismann, Cedric Killings, Reggie Brown (from the Lions), and Michael Irvin all suffered "one wrong hit" and were forced to retire. The long term problems, again, are not a risk he hasn't faced through his whole career. Concussions are now being shown to have much worse effects than we knew. If Peyton is that worried about injury, I think he'd walk away. No team in the world that claims to play football can guarantee he won't have a career ender. Not a one.

I'm curious, though, as to where people are getting the idea that this injury is leaving him more prone to a big time injury. It's possible I missed it somewhere. Source?

How about your post gets voted 'most ridiculous' for not being able to spell ridiculous. And my previous post wins most realistic, because Manning's time as a Colt is coming to an end.

Lets do this.. admit you were off when you said in 2 years people will forget Manning even existed, and i will say im sorry.. lmao

I have been a big fan of Peyton for years! Keeping Peyton as the #1 quarterback is a MUST!! With him, you know you will WIN most games. He is still one of the top quarterbacks ever and i don't doubt he will come back just as strong as ever and maybee even better than he ever has been! Luck could definitley be a great backup though, for now!! Having a mentor as good as Peyton WILL be HUGE for any great rookie quarterback.. Great for future resume!! Wouldn't you think???? The colts are nothing without Peyton, because he should stay to help train a great rookie quarterback such as Luck. I think it's way to soon for Peyton to leave the colts!!

I had the same surgery. Fusing two vertebrae together reduces your range of motion up and down a certain amount (I think the surgeon said 15%, For example, when I drain a bottle of soda now, I have to bend my whole upper body backwards, not just my neck. Fortunately I can't imagine something like that being relevent when playing football. He can always just squeeze the gatorade bottle instead of tilting back. :P

I also feel less comfortable doing other things, including turning my head all the way to one side - but I suspect that that is something that would be overcome by physical therapy. I can turn, it just feels a little odd, and it wasn't something that the surgeon warned about. A world class athlete would likely have an entirely different result.

As many news agencies have reported, and can be seen by the wide opinions on this board, the Colts do have a tough decsion to make.

I think we will see some of the most stringent testing ever seen on a player, on Manning, right before the 28 million is paid.

Can he make the deep throws like before?

Will the ball have the same velocity?

A deep ball thrown with just a tiny bit less velocity is picked off.

It seems like he is coming around on his "short" game, according to the players he threw to.

The accurate deep ball is harder

Hopefully he can master that too.

We'll see..................

Scientifically, bones don't come back stronger. When properly healed, however, they do comeback about equally as strong. If I recall they are no more or less likely to break in the same spot. Tendons and ligaments, if I recall, are the injuries that are subject to re-aggravation. His injury was a nerve issue, however, so I'm not too sure. I recall one doctor (who hadn't worked on him) said he shouldn't be under any higher risk of reinjury when he returns.

Beyond this, I don't buy this "One wrong hit" hogwash. He plays football for a living. People think this will be the first time that one wrong hit could end his career? Kevin Everett, Joe Theismann, Cedric Killings, Reggie Brown (from the Lions), and Michael Irvin all suffered "one wrong hit" and were forced to retire. The long term problems, again, are not a risk he hasn't faced through his whole career. Concussions are now being shown to have much worse effects than we knew. If Peyton is that worried about injury, I think he'd walk away. No team in the world that claims to play football can guarantee he won't have a career ender. Not a one.

I'm curious, though, as to where people are getting the idea that this injury is leaving him more prone to a big time injury. It's possible I missed it somewhere. Source?

Exactly. I'm looking for any source that says Manning's neck will not be as strong as before or limited to movement because I haven't seen a single article stating it presumably from a medical professional.

From my understanding if Manning is 100% healthy his neck will be just as good as before. Although I am not making that claim just guessing. Equally I don't see any evidence his neck will be worse than before.

So, Manning restructures his contract..

I can picture that conversation now.

Irsay: So Peyton, I know you singlehandedly carried this franchise for the last 4 years and just took a 30 mill pay cut this last offseason but can you please take off another 10-15 so we can sign another QB?

Peyton: What does Peyton Manning look like?

Irsay: what?

Peyton: Does he look like a B!%&* ?

Irsay: what?

Peyton: Say what again!, I dare you, I double dare you! say what one more g darn time!

Exactly. I'm looking for any source that says Manning's neck will not be as strong as before or limited to movement because I haven't seen a single article stating it presumably from a medical professional.

From my understanding if Manning is 100% healthy his neck will be just as good as before. Although I am not making that claim just guessing. Equally I don't see any evidence his neck will be worse than before.

Ignoring my response, or assuming that I have no idea what I'm talking about because I'm not a doctor? I HAD the surgery, I discussed the issue with the neurosurgeon before he cut me open, and I've experienced the results - as I discribed for you in some detail. Try searching on nsurgs posting history, or for general information at one of the better medical websites. If you want another source I'm sure that you could find one without too much trouble.

Ignoring my response, or assuming that I have no idea what I'm talking about because I'm not a doctor? I HAD the surgery, I discussed the issue with the neurosurgeon before he cut me open, and I've experienced the results - as I discribed for you in some detail. Try searching on nsurgs posting history, or for general information at one of the better medical websites. If you want another source I'm sure that you could find one without too much trouble.

Actually I just thought of a simpler way of thinking about this.

Look at your right forefinger - a joint near the tip, a joint in the middle, and a joint where it meets your hand. If they fused one of those joints, do you think perhaps that it might affect the range of motion of your finger? (With more or less of an effect depending on which one it is).

This has nothing to do with someone having a hairline fracture in their tibia, and it healing "stronger than it was before". It will affect him, believe me, but as I said I don't think that it will have an adverse affect on his ability to play. I also dismiss the comments about him being "one hit away from being paralazed". Well everyone in the league is one hit away from being paralized - so what. People act as if the purpose of the surgery was to permanently open his spinal colume and leave everything dangling there, so that if he turns around fast his head will fall off. Actually the purpose was to remove a disk that was pressing on a nerve. The disk is now gone, and the nerve is unimpeded. Who knows how long he has been limited because of this problem. Maybe he'll actually be BETTER than he was before. Who knows.

That being said, the fusion does put an additional strain on the joints above and below the ones fused. It's something that I'm personally wary of, and I certainly wouldn't want to be playing tackle football. It's not going to help his neck long term, that's for sure.

If we draft Luck he better sit for a few years. Manning doesn't have as much time as we all think. He has 2 kids now is what I'm more on the lines of thinking. Him being in football and missing out on them is more of a concern. Football isn't everything in life, having children changes that. You can hear it in his voice when he mentioned them in his interview. To me Luck isn't ready I'd give him a year or two. No player in their first year is ready for NFL caliber game speed. Also records don't mean anything to me about Manning. You turn on the film, you listen to other players and coaches. Peyton when it's all said and done, will to me be the G.O.A.T!

If we draft Luck he better sit for a few years. Manning doesn't have as much time as we all think. He has 2 kids now is what I'm more on the lines of thinking. Him being in football and missing out on them is more of a concern. Football isn't everything in life, having children changes that. You can hear it in his voice when he mentioned them in his interview. To me Luck isn't ready I'd give him a year or two. No player in their first year is ready for NFL caliber game speed. Also records don't mean anything to me about Manning. You turn on the film, you listen to other players and coaches. Peyton when it's all said and done, will to me be the G.O.A.T!

Actually the kids will help!Because now he KNOWS what life will be like after football,so i'm guessing the children will only add to his career.THANK GOD FOR SCREAMING BABIES!

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, January 5, 2012 - Duplicate Post
Hidden by Coltssouth, January 5, 2012 - Duplicate Post

Actually the kids will help!Because now he KNOWS what life will be like after football,so i'm guessing the children will only add to his career.THANK GOD FOR SCREAMING BABIES!

I certainly didn't make this up:

http://www.backushospital.org/manning-cervical-radiculopathy.html

From the article:

" While fusing the spine creates a firm repair, it also limits the range of motion of the neck. "

That's what I was referring to.

Rodgers is a first rd pick. What I am saying is playing early is not the ONLY recipe for success.

I think he is saying Rodgers was not the #1 overall pick, not just a 1st rounder. There is a big difference. Rodgers was not drafted until the second half of the first round. The only way a #1 overall as hyped as Luck will sit for more than 1 year is if he is not progressing. In which case, it was a wasted opportunity to get a number of early-round draft picks. If Luck is drafted by the Colts and appears ready to play, Peyton will be gone after 1 year at most and Colts fans can pray he is as advertised.

Luck is a #1 pick, Rodgers and Flynn aren't. #1 picks almost never sit. The only player I can think of is Carson Palmer who sat for a year.

While it IS true that #1 pick QBs hardly ever sit...have any of you even stopped to think about WHY they dont? When is the last time that you can think of, that a team with THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME ended up with the #1 pick? Most teams that get the #1 pick dont have a good QB, and THAT is why they dont have to sit, normally...this is NOT the normal situation, though...if Peyton is healthy, we have a situation unlike any other in football, with teams that have had the #1 pick

While it IS true that #1 pick QBs hardly ever sit...have any of you even stopped to think about WHY they dont? When is the last time that you can think of, that a team with THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME ended up with the #1 pick? Most teams that get the #1 pick dont have a good QB, and THAT is why they dont have to sit, normally...this is NOT the normal situation, though...if Peyton is healthy, we have a situation unlike any other in football, with teams that have had the #1 pick

the problem here is if Peyton is healthy.

At this moment right now he is not 100% healthy, has not passed a phyiscal to my knowledge, and no one really knows how he will be this coming season

Now if Peyton was 100% healthy right now, never had a surgery, coming off another fantastic season then yes I can see that argument. Unfortunately with an injured Manning, we are no different than all the other teams that didn't have a great QB prior to the #1 pick. Also to add to that, if a team has a great QB, they usually don't get the #1 pick the next year unless some ridiculous trade was made or something out of the ordinary. There is a big question mark at the QB spot.

the problem here is if Peyton is healthy.

At this moment right now he is not 100% healthy, has not passed a phyiscal to my knowledge, and no one really knows how he will be this coming season

Now if Peyton was 100% healthy right now, never had a surgery, coming off another fantastic season then yes I can see that argument. Unfortunately with an injured Manning, we are no different than all the other teams that didn't have a great QB prior to the #1 pick. Also to add to that, if a team has a great QB, they usually don't get the #1 pick the next year unless some ridiculous trade was made or something out of the ordinary. There is a big question mark at the QB spot.

Yes, but "people" are saying that you cant take Luck because the #1 pick doesnt sit...so those "people" are saying we must get rid of Manning or trade Luck. MY point is that the REASON that the #1 pick doesnt sit is because the drafting team normally doesnt have a good QB.

Its fair to say that these "people" are basing their opinions on IF Peyton IS healthy...otherwise, no need for Luck to sit and no reason to try to trade Peyton.

So, like i said in the post you quoted, under that assumption that Peyton is healthy, we will be in a position that no other #1 drafting team has ever been in...so the "the #1 pick doesnt sit!" argument becomes a moot point. Its not like we are trying to start Dan Orlovski or Curtis Painter over Luck...but Peyton if healthy, is a top 3 QB in the NFL, even at 36yrs old.

Yes, but "people" are saying that you cant take Luck because the #1 pick doesnt sit...so those "people" are saying we must get rid of Manning or trade Luck. MY point is that the REASON that the #1 pick doesnt sit is because the drafting team normally doesnt have a good QB.

Its fair to say that these "people" are basing their opinions on IF Peyton IS healthy...otherwise, no need for Luck to sit and no reason to try to trade Peyton.

So, like i said in the post you quoted, under that assumption that Peyton is healthy, we will be in a position that no other #1 drafting team has ever been in...so the "the #1 pick doesnt sit!" argument becomes a moot point. Its not like we are trying to start Dan Orlovski or Curtis Painter over Luck...but Peyton if healthy, is a top 3 QB in the NFL, even at 36yrs old.

going back to my quote this is all based on assumptions

The Colts have till March 8th to make a decision almost exactly 3 months away

Right now it is a FACT Manning is not 100% healthy, it is a FACT he is not in game-ready shape, and it is a FACT he is an aging QB coming off 3 neck surgeries not having played football in 4 or 5 months.(unless of course the media is hiding it from us he is in great shape and ready to play ball!)

You're right the #1 pick (taking Luck) is entirely based on Manning not being healthy. Its based on Manning's current state right now as well.

When Manning is declared 100% healthy with a complete recovery and looks like the Manning he was, then the argument to not take Luck gains momentum but as it stands right now, taking Luck makes more sense.

going back to my quote this is all based on assumptions

The Colts have till March 8th to make a decision almost exactly 3 months away

Right now it is a FACT Manning is not 100% healthy, it is a FACT he is not in game-ready shape, and it is a FACT he is an aging QB coming off 3 neck surgeries not having played football in 4 or 5 months.(unless of course the media is hiding it from us he is in great shape and ready to play ball!)

You're right the #1 pick (taking Luck) is entirely based on Manning not being healthy. Its based on Manning's current state right now as well.

When Manning is declared 100% healthy with a complete recovery and looks like the Manning he was, then the argument to not take Luck gains momentum but as it stands right now, taking Luck makes more sense.

and i never ONCE said that i didnt want to take Luck or that i didnt think that we should...fact is, i DO think we SHOULD take Luck...all i was saying is that the people who say that we can only have one or the other because the #1 never sits, needs to take a minute to understand WHY the other #1s havent had to sit.

You're barking up the wrong tree, bro