Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign Luck Now?

bap1331

If Eli is going to get his contract before the season and wants to get paid big money. He's going to raise the bar on how much qbs get paid. Luck is way younger and could have a breakout season which would make him more valuable.

Not wise to wait to see how much others get paid. We already saw what happened to ty. Is there enough cap space to extend his contract?

If Eli is going to get his contract before the season and wants to get paid big money. He's going to raise the bar on how much qbs get paid. Luck is way younger and could have a breakout season which would make him more valuable.

Not wise to wait to see how much others get paid. We already saw what happened to ty. Is there enough cap space to extend his contract?

And what exactly happened with TY?

I am not sure Luck can have a bigger breakout season than he has already had unless he is MVP and wins the Super Bowl. I hope Irsay doesn't look at it like this but why take a risk that Luck has a career ending injury this year? Why take that risk before you have to do it? If I were Luck, I would take a dim view of that but Irsay seems to get away with it. I too wish they would just lock him up so as soon as they can.

He got paid...alot...

Of course he did...but he didn't get ridiculously overpaid..in fact I believe most are considering that it was a rather team-friendly deal.  Luck is going to get paid A LOT...whether it's this year or next year.  he will get the largest contract in the history of the NFL up to that point.  That's just going to happen. 

Of course he did...but he didn't get ridiculously overpaid..in fact I believe most are considering that it was a rather team-friendly deal.  Luck is going to get paid A LOT...whether it's this year or next year.  he will get the largest contract in the history of the NFL up to that point.  That's just going to happen. 

Pretty much this.  I'd think if Luck/his agent aren't pushing, let it pass.  Regardless of when it goes through, the deal will be MASSIVE.  By all accounts he is the next major QB ala Manning/Brady/Rodgers, and he is pretty close to that already.  I suppose if he wins MVP and the SB, it could go a bit higher or simply be more of a unquestionable thing by him/his agent.  But we're likely not going to save much by waiting.

No worries,  Bap.

Eli's contract will not impact Luck's contract.

Luck's going to get what he gets.     He'll get it next Winter/Spring.

There's no problem here..............

No worries,  Bap.

Eli's contract will not impact Luck's contract.

Luck's going to get what he gets.     He'll get it next Winter/Spring.

There's no problem here..............

Agreed, if Jim Irsay doesn't sign Luck to whatever he needs and how long he wants, I think the Colts fans have a right to see if he's been abducted by aliens! He is the franchise and there's really no one better for what he brings to the team. NewColtsFan is right on, he will get the contract next Winter/Spring in a very sparsely worded and no fanfare posting from the Colts that Luck has been signed for 10 years. That's what Luck wants, move on, business as usual and get back to work!

He turned back into a pumpkin. 

I don't think TY was ever going to sign until those deals had got done if I'm honest. Quite a good strategy on his agent's part. 

To be fair... TY's agent is Drew Rosenhaus, it isn't his first rodeo with contracts

Right now, the team is about $10-12m below the cap. Handling a signing bonus wouldn't be a problem.

I thought we had about $10 mil before Hilton signing so that would be about $8 after then we will use some more if we extend Castonzo and keep some for the actual season if the need arises. I think we would be cutting it kind of close if we tried to extend Luck this season.

Yes it was a solid deal for both sides. We locked down a #1 receiver with lots of tread without a lot of guaranteed money(potential dead cap) like the other guys got. You can check out contracts on sporttrac. 

I thought we had about $10 mil before Hilton signing so that would be about $8 after then we will use some more if we extend Castonzo and keep some for the actual season if the need arises. I think we would be cutting it kind of close if we tried to extend Luck this season.

The $10-12m is after Hilton's deal.

But you're right that considerations with AC's deal come up, but I think once his deal gets done, it could easily reduce his cap hit in 2015, depending on how they structure it. There's also the question of Richardson's salary, which may or may not be counted against the Colts in 2015. The $10-12m doesn't include that Richardson money. And you need to carry some cap space into the season to keep the roster stocked.

So it would be cutting it close to do Luck's deal right now. Irsay has already said it will be on the docket in 2016, so this is all moot. Just pointing out that there's still technically room.

The $10-12m is after Hilton's deal.

But you're right that considerations with AC's deal come up, but I think once his deal gets done, it could easily reduce his cap hit in 2015, depending on how they structure it. There's also the question of Richardson's salary, which may or may not be counted against the Colts in 2015. The $10-12m doesn't include that Richardson money. And you need to carry some cap space into the season to keep the roster stocked.

So it would be cutting it close to do Luck's deal right now. Irsay has already said it will be on the docket in 2016, so this is all moot. Just pointing out that there's still technically room.

You're secretly the capologist for the Colts aren't you :P

I am not sure Luck can have a bigger breakout season than he has already had unless he is MVP and wins the Super Bowl. I hope Irsay doesn't look at it like this but why take a risk that Luck has a career ending injury this year? Why take that risk before you have to do it? If I were Luck, I would take a dim view of that but Irsay seems to get away with it. I too wish they would just lock him up so as soon as they can.

Agreed about the "breakout" season. He had that his rookie year. The only thing he could possibly do to top what hes already done is what you listed off. As for signing him this year, I don't think it really matters. When he signs his contract, whether this year or next, it will most likely be the richest in NFL history so it really doesn't matter. Theres no way hes going anywhere.

Agreed about the "breakout" season. He had that his rookie year. The only thing he could possibly do to top what hes already done is what you listed off. As for signing him this year, I don't think it really matters. When he signs his contract, whether this year or next, it will most likely be the richest in NFL history so it really doesn't matter. Theres no way hes going anywhere.

That is not what concerns me. If I were the player, I would want this resolved in case of a career ending injury. I guess I am a hard head. If I didn't get it and I was a star like Luck who could write my own ticket anywhere, I would consider leaving over this issue after watching how the team dumped stars like Manning, Freeney and Wayne in the past. I am not saying it is right or wrong that they were dumped but if they can be let go, then anyone is at risk if they are injured. If I were the agent, I would be pounding this home and I would draw a line in the sand about having an agreement immediately. I would not care what the cap complications would be. Anyone can be injured at any time. I think the Texans lost two QBs for the season in the same game last year.