Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck/Cutler Comparison

HOZER

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, August 19, 2015 - Profanity Filter
Hidden by SteelCityColt, August 19, 2015 - Profanity Filter

How the sam f***** h*** is Pep Hamilton the "hottest" head coaching candidate?

Does anyone else think this is preposterous?

Ludicrous, OMG 

Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets a HC job this year. Bye Felicia!

I can understand why this seems odd to us Colts fans, but he is definitely one of the candidates teams have their eye on. You don't lead an offense to this much success without generating some curiosity.

People have to realize that the players executing the offense are way better than on most teams. Caldwell was a QB coach that got two head coaching positions because Peyton Manning was who he had to coach.

of course it wouldn't be blank....they have quite a bit in common.  They both play QB.  They both....um.... :scratch::dunno:

I would actually argue that Cutler doesn't play QB, so much as he goes out on the field, throws blindly, doesn't care what happens, collects a pay cheque, and heads home.  So even playing QB isn't a commonality between the two

kinda off topic, but am I the only one who thinks Cutler looks kinda like Tebow...............

It's likely, but I'll bite.

In what way?

As in candidates for celebrity look a likes in the Misc Thread?

Or, as in how their throws look floating into a defenders hands?, 

Or,........?

People have to realize that the players executing the offense are way better than on most teams. Caldwell was a QB coach that got two head coaching positions because Peyton Manning was who he had to coach.

Jim Caldwell got the Detroit job because he did a fantastic job of running the Baltimore offense under extremely difficult circumstances.      Sure, a recommendation by Peyton doesn't hurt,   but it was his work at Baltimore that got him the job.

And it's proven to be a good hire.    Detroit had a very good year under Caldwell.

Jim Caldwell got the Detroit job because he did a fantastic job of running the Baltimore offense under extremely difficult circumstances. Sure, a recommendation by Peyton doesn't hurt, but it was his work at Baltimore that got him the job.

And it's proven to be a good hire. Detroit had a very good year under Caldwell.

Caldwell's offense in Baltimore was below-average (probably Flacco's worst year) aside from the playoff run.

Caldwell's offense in Baltimore was below-average (probably Flacco's worst year) aside from the playoff run.

Caldwell didn't take over the offense until about week 14.    I can't remember who the OC was before him, but Harbaugh fired him very late in the year.     Caldwell took over,  (that was the difficult circumstance I referenced)   Baltimore won,  got into the playoffs and then made their playoff run and won the SB.

Caldwell's performance that year helped him get the Detroit job.    The league sat up and took notice.

Please share your definition of a successful offense.

1. Offense must start fast. Should rarely have a 3 and out on the first series when teams are sizing each other up in the early going and things typically are vanilla. A successful offense should score TDs first more than they don't. 

2. Offense must be able to run the ball at will, which means creating a crease in the defensive front that allows your back to make something happen. Running the ball when the defense knows you're going to run the ball.. Relying on downhill backs to get YAContact is not the same as giving guys 2 yards before they are touched. 

3. Offense must be able to strike a homerun at any time, which we can, so I'll give Pep 1 there

4. Offense must be able to keep QB upright and allow him to step into his throws.. This sure doesn't happen very often. 

5. Offense must be dynamic and unpredictable, so the defense plays more on their heels.  

Caldwell didn't take over the offense until about week 14.    I can't remember who the OC was before him, but Harbaugh fired him very late in the year.     Caldwell took over,  (that was the difficult circumstance I referenced)   Baltimore won,  got into the playoffs and then made their playoff run and won the SB.

Caldwell's performance that year helped him get the Detroit job.    The league sat up and took notice.

You are absolutely right. Cam Cameron's offense was absolutely stalling their push to the playoffs, once Caldwell took over the offense was much better. Definitely the reason he got the job in Detroit.

Caldwell didn't take over the offense until about week 14. I can't remember who the OC was before him, but Harbaugh fired him very late in the year. Caldwell took over, (that was the difficult circumstance I referenced) Baltimore won, got into the playoffs and then made their playoff run and won the SB.

Caldwell's performance that year helped him get the Detroit job. The league sat up and took notice.

And his next year as OC in 2013, his offense was very bad.

And his next year as OC in 2013, his offense was very bad.

Right,  that was the year that Baltimore was now strangled by cap issues.    The Flacco contract forced them to cut a number of players including OL, and they traded guys like Bolden to SF.     That contributed heavily to the Ravens having a poor year.

I don't think Caldwell's reputation took much of a hit within NFL circles.    The next year,  2014, he became the Lions HC and did a very nice job, winning 10 games and getting into the playoffs.

Right, that was the year that Baltimore was now strangled by cap issues. The Flacco contract forced them to cut a number of players including OL, and they traded guys like Bolden to SF. That contributed heavily to the Ravens having a poor year.

I don't think Caldwell's reputation took much of a hit within NFL circles. The next year, 2014, he became the Lions HC and did a very nice job, winning 10 games and getting into the playoffs.

So he's had success under playoff Flacco who would have been out during wildcard weekend had champ bailey not given up a Hail Mary, and Peyton manning, then without Peyton manning during his injury and ravens post SB he struggled. The lions are OK, he's not a great coach.

No great coach throws away a legitimate shot at perfection when you have the Jets and Bills left on your schedule.

Caldwell didn't take over the offense until about week 14. I can't remember who the OC was before him, but Harbaugh fired him very late in the year. Caldwell took over, (that was the difficult circumstance I referenced) Baltimore won, got into the playoffs and then made their playoff run and won the SB.

Caldwell's performance that year helped him get the Detroit job. The league sat up and took notice.

Cameron who is now at LSU (booooooooo)