Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

David Parry

RockThatBlue

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th-round rookie defensive tackle David Parry continues to get some reps with the first team at nose tackle between Kendall Langford and Art Jones. On one occasion during a red zone period, Parry moved his blocker beautifully, clearing the way for inside linebackers Jerrell Freeman and D’Qwell Jackson to come in and make the stop on the running back. In a 9-on-7 drill with the second team featuring all offensive rushing plays, Parry’s penetration stood out.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Joint-Practice-Thursday-Notebook-3-INTs-for-Colts-D/606fa546-bea2-4bbf-b7b2-bbb40a075be6

And see that doesn't sound good for Chapman. Moving blockers and making room for the LBs to come in is exactly what Chapman doesn't do. Also Chap never gets into the backfield, but it seems to be Parry's specialty. I know everyone will say that he hasn't been proven against a first team defense but Chapman had played a full season as a starter and been un-impactful.

If Chapman gets injured I have a feeling they might hand the reigns over to Parry and never look back. It seems like we shouldn't view Parry as just some late round project player.

And see that doesn't sound good for Chapman. Moving blockers and making room for the LBs to come in is exactly what Chapman doesn't do. Also Chap never gets into the backfield, but it seems to be Parry's specialty. I know everyone will say that he hasn't been proven against a first team defense but Chapman had played a full season as a starter and been un-impactful.

If Chapman gets injured I have a feeling they might hand the reigns over to Parry and never look back. It seems like we shouldn't view Parry as just some late round project player.

Its practice. Chapman is also not going to do that, That's not his skillset....Never will be unless he drops weight and accelerates quicker....Which is highly unlikely. But anyway until Parry actually begins to blow opposing O Linemen up in games it doesn't amount to much of anything. Some players show up in practice and disappear in games, Some players are bad practice players yet show up in games

Its practice. Chapman is also not going to do that, That's not his skillset....Never will be unless he drops weight and accelerates quicker....Which is highly unlikely. But anyway until Parry actually begins to blow opposing O Linemen up in games it doesn't amount to much of anything. Some players show up in practice and disappear in games, Some players are bad practice players yet show up in games

True, and some players disappear in practice and play mediocre to sub par in games.

Chapman doesnt practice well, and gets pushed back in games....... at least he is consistent !!

Watch him........ many times he gets moved by ONE guy.........  forget what happens with 2

Parry, Anderson, Kerr were whom in thought looked good today on the d-line.

Robinson could very well take the #2 RB spot from Herron. 

Hasselback looked better.

Good looked worse-gave up a sack and another false start.

...................................Hoping Dorsett's injury is not serious.............................

People thought parry looked good tonight? Chapman was meh....parry was flat out bad. He had one play just before the 2 min warning where he got in the backfield, though he whiffed on the tackle. Other than that he was baaad.

People thought parry looked good tonight? Chapman was meh....parry was flat out bad. He had one play just before the 2 min warning where he got in the backfield, though he whiffed on the tackle. Other than that he was baaad.

He couldn't anchor to save his life.

Parry was hardly a star last night, but you're making it sound worse than it was.

I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. I think Chapman is too big honestly and gets tired too quickly. If he was playing in the second half with the back ups while the rest of the defensive starters were resting.... that's definitely not a great sign for Chap. Now it will be interesting to see how Chap responds if he realizes that his starting spot could be in jeopardy.

We usually agree, but I liked Parry a lot against the Bears.  It felt like he was playing more of a 1-gap technique - and that may be his thing - so it might not be totally fair to compare he and Chapman playing the same position if they are being asked to do different things.  I only remember Parry being completely washed out once, and that was an all out double team with what looked like a triple crashing in during the play.  On that play, I thought the ILB was very slow to fill the gap as designed.

I'm among those who thought that Chapman was a good enough anchor last year, but Parry came in on the 3rd series against the 1's and I thought he looked better immediately.

Parry was hardly a star last night, but you're making it sound worse than it was.

Not really, and that's the sad part. 

Chapman started the game out horribly.  He was double teamed on the first play and was driven into the ground.  He got better after that though..not much better, but better.  At his best during the game, he was "adequate".  He did get a little push into the backfield on a couple of plays where he was single blocked, and when double-teamed he held his ground for the most part but wasn't moving anyone anywhere.

Parry on the other hand was handled when either single-blocked or double-teamed.  On the big busted run play up the middle in the 3rd quarter, Parry was single blocked and taken completely out of the play.  At one point, he was driven into the ground by double teams on at least 3 plays in a row.  The couple of successful plays where he was able to get into the backfield, it was because he split defenders..he didn't push anyone anywhere. 

Hey, it was only his second game.  I'm not saying he's a bust or we should cut him or anything like that.  I just think that some are so disappointed by Chapman that they're seeing things that aren't there with Parry.  He's not even close to taking Chapman's spot at this point imo. 

We usually agree, but I liked Parry a lot against the Bears.  It felt like he was playing more of a 1-gap technique - and that may be his thing - so it might not be totally fair to compare he and Chapman playing the same position if they are being asked to do different things.  I only remember Parry being completely washed out once, and that was an all out double team with what looked like a triple crashing in during the play.  On that play, I thought the ILB was very slow to fill the gap as designed.

I'm among those who thought that Chapman was a good enough anchor last year, but Parry came in on the 3rd series against the 1's and I thought he looked better immediately.

Now if that's the case then it would definitely make more sense.  I didn't get that impression personally though.  I'll watch again when I get a chance, but pretty much the entire game, I was focusing on the NT position when the Colts were on defense.  I'll make a note of the 3 play stretch I was referring to.

Parry gets penetration when blocked one on one  I only saw him get penetration when he was able to split defenders.  I did not see him get penetration by pushing a blocker into the backfield.

Chapman gets zero penetration when blocked one on one  Not true.  He doesn't get great penetration, but he has shown the ability to drive a single blocker into the backfield, which I have yet to see from Parry.

Parry was pushed back when double teamed

Chapman gets pushed back when double teamed  Except that this part is not true.

That is enough for me.......

Now if that's the case then it would definitely make more sense.  I didn't get that impression personally though.  I'll watch again when I get a chance, but pretty much the entire game, I was focusing on the NT position when the Colts were on defense.  I'll make a note of the 3 play stretch I was referring to.

Evaluating trench play is tricky - at least it is for my, and I don't ever mean to act like an authority.  The performance delta can be very hard to spot and I think that if we don't see something heroic, then we tend to think our guy got beat.  In our scheme, merely drawing a double should be a huge win - but if you don't get that hole filled up with a fast reacting ILB, then it looks like your DT merely got washed out.  

Your assessment of Parry may honestly be spot on....I just recall liking the activity of our run D better when he came in for Chapman on Saturday.

Seriously man. That's what I've been saying the entire offseason. If we had just signed another good D-Lineman and another O-Lineman we'd be set right now. I was hoping for Knighton myself. But I do think Jones and Langford will end up being ok. Hopefully somebody steps up for us at the nose.

I'm with ya. Colts lost to N.E. because of what happened in the trenches. Not saying the lines can't be effective this year, but I'd feel a lot better if they'd done a little more to address them.

I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. I think Chapman is too big honestly and gets tired too quickly. If he was playing in the second half with the back ups while the rest of the defensive starters were resting.... that's definitely not a great sign for Chap. Now it will be interesting to see how Chap responds if he realizes that his starting spot could be in jeopardy.

It's been in jeopardy for awhile now of you ask me. Everyone else looks better at NT than Chap. This honestly reminds me of the Satele situation. Everyone looked better at center than Satele, wedding is why he had to go. And I've heard too many excuses for Chap since he's been here.

He gets obliterated by single men all the time. Go back and watch the Bengals playoff game. The rookie center Bodine handled Chap all day long. Parry might have a higher ceiling and floor at this point.

It's been in jeopardy for awhile now of you ask me. Everyone else looks better at NT than Chap. This honestly reminds me of the Satele situation. Everyone looked better at center than Satele, wedding is why he had to go. And I've heard too many excuses for Chap since he's been here.

He gets obliterated by single men all the time. Go back and watch the Bengals playoff game. The rookie center Bodine handled Chap all day long. Parry might have a higher ceiling and floor at this point.

No he doesn't.

"Most" of the time then. Usually if he's one on one with the center, the center wins. He gets very little push if any

I don't agree with "Most" of the time either.  He does get some push, though not always a lot.  After the past 2 preseason games, I would like to see more of Hughes and Kerr at NT, but at this point if it's between Chapman and Parry, we're far better off going with Chapman.

It is kind of funny that Grig's took such heat for the Parry pick. He didn't need to move up to get him. He wasted a draft pick. The only reason we took him was because he was buddies with Anderson so on and so forth.... Look at him now