Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Rivers signs a 4 year extension with SD.

MTC

Good for Rivers and I hope for all the die hard Charger folks that I know they can get a stadium built downtown. Carson isn't a victory for anyone in my opinion. Want to give a shout out to all the Chargers family in Oceanside and all of SD. You deserve better and the Chargers better realize the support of the community. My mother, father and brother are crippled by the news of this team deserting the beloved San Diego!!

21 mil/year...he's worth it.  that quick trigger cannon of his has gotten more 3rd and 15+ completions than i can count.  good QB, and when he has a rb to even his passing game out, he is dangerous.

The first 6 games of last year our record was 5-1 (before he was hurt) he set NFL record of 120 QBR rating.  With an Oline and a Running game we could have gone deep into the playoffs if not all the way last year.  Then we were utterly decimated.  5 starting centers, 3 rbs injured and/or out for the season and the list goes on from there.  It takes luck AND skill to win it all. 

Long in the tooth

At 33 he is in his prime.  He isn't a running QB like Ben Roethlisburger taking hits.  As long as his line protects him, he's got a lot of years left.  His arm is solid.  His brain is even more so - he's got an amazing football mind.  

$65 mil guranteed....They must have convinced him that if the franchise moves to LA....he can still lives where he does now..

He doesn't want to leave san Diego....right?

....he must have someone's word that the Chargers would not consider moving to St. Louis...only to LA..

QBs give teams their identity...I like to see long term guys stay.....Eli in NY......Big Ben in Pittsburgh..and now Phillip in SD

I am doing the happy dance right now :-)  So happy to hear this news.  Now, protect him and give him enough talent to get the job done!

This is great news for Chargers fans!  I thought I read he wasn't to keen on re signing because he didn't want to move his family to L.A. if the team moved.  Is this true?  Do you think the team will stay in San Diego for a while?

I don't know how he resolved that issue.  It really doesn't look like they're going to remain in San Diego.  I'm by nature an optimist, so coming that that opinion has taken a lot.  Even if they do move, it will take a few years to even build the stadium so perhaps the Chargers agreed to keep the practices in San Diego for the time until then.  Perhaps he's looked around and found an acceptable location for his family, I don't know, I'm just speculating.  

I don't live in San Diego, so it doesn't affect me directly but it will affect the city and my friends who still live there.