Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Years Day, The Battle For Last Place, Your Game Plan

Nadine

This Sunday, the battle for last place begins at 1 with the Colts @ Jax and the 49ers @ Rams

w

There has been a LOT of discussion among Colts fans and the media as to whether or not the Colts should play to win.

My question is this: What would assure a loss? What would likely result in a W?

Hind sight is 20 20 so call it before kick off.

Look for our highest scoring game of the year as the jags fall apart.

Rams lose, Colts win and the off-season begins.

My question is this: What would assure a loss?
Turnovers and lots of em.

This team isn't good enough to overcome losing the turnover battle.

As to what would ensure a win? I'll say that if we can stop jones drew and not turn it over, we will almost certainly win.

I've been searching the web for what the pundits have to say about this matchup

All I am finding is speculation as to whether it is worth the win

It is as important as playoff games this weekend in my opinion, so the lack of "keys' to this game disturbs me

I don't think anyone thinks the rams will win this weekend so all eyes are on whether or not the Colts win or lose

I would like to see some of these pundits step up and say what they think should happen other than 'colts should lose'

Seems to me, if the Colts lose, that also leaves them wide open for pundits crying FOUL

Why will they fall apart?

First off, thank you for this. A thread about football. How unprecedented.

They will fall apart because they're a one trick pony, and that pony is named Maurice. Our run defense has been much better, as well, our running game has improved. Prone to turnovers, the Jags will give us bonus possessions.

I believe Orlovsky will be flying high coming off the birth of his children, and his sudden presence of a viable career as an NFL QB. Never underestimate the importance of emotion in sport.

I know we've been bad this year.....but we are a better team than the Jags. We will win.

So, if painter plays, colts lose? Any one else agree with this?

Yes, I agree. Painter blew it. I had his back earlier this year, he looked like he had a future in this league.....and he frickin blew it. Danny O has a chip on his shoulder.....I like that. Gotta have that chip.

It is as important as playoff games this weekend in my opinion, so the lack of "keys' to this game disturbs me

I don't think anyone thinks the rams will win this weekend so all eyes are on whether or not the Colts win or lose

I would like to see some of these pundits step up and say what they think should happen other than 'colts should lose'

Seems to me, if the Colts lose, that also leaves them wide open for pundits crying FOUL

No surprise. The media often ignores losers. The only stimulating conversation in regard to the Colts is fabricated drama.

I expect the Colts to control the game and win by a TD or 2.

That first game was one of many that the Colts could have won this year. It was incredibly close (and incredibly dull) for most of it. I wouldn't expect more from the Jags then we saw in that first game, but we could see a lot more from the Colts. With the stabilized oline, solid running game, dramatically better defense, and fewer turnovers I would think that the Colts should be able to slowly build a lead. If it gets to the point where the Jags have to pass instead of riding Drew, Freeney and Mathis may have a field day with the Jags rookie QB, and the Colts might actually dominate. A key factor may be simply motivation and intensity. The Colts have been playing like its the playoffs. I haven't watched the Jags recently, but I get the impression that they have stepped backwards. Bottom line, that isn't Drew Brees or Matt Ryan behind center for the Jags - I think that the Colts are simply a much better team.

Unfortunately you have to assume that the Rams will lose badly. The Niners are playing for seeding, and that defense against a Bradford-less Rams team is not likely to be pretty. Maybe if Alex Smith has an incredibly bad game we could get lucky, but I'm certainly not expecting much.

Excellent points

Thanks!

You could really say that about most any kind of game, but I think things like penalties and turnovers effect bad teams (which, lets be honest, we are a bad team this year) even more because they have a harder time overcoming it.

5 years Tarik Glenn could false start all he wanted (as an aside, who else misses Tarik's weekly false start?) and it didn't matter because Manning was passing for 15 yards at a time with relative ease.

That's too much to expect from Dan Orlovksy and this offense. We get a holding penalty, and we're likely going to be punting.

Prediction.....

Blaine Gabbert stinks to high heavens and Freeney and Mathis have a nice day in Jacksonville..

MJD gets his usual 100+ yards and 1-2 TDs....but its not enough.

Colts 23......Jags 20

i dont think gabbert stinks. i think his wrs stink. i bet no one can name a single one of his wrs because i cant and when your no name wrs dont get open your gonna hold on to the ball and the end result a sack.

colts lose 28-14

This Sunday, the battle for last place begins at 1 with the Colts @ Jax and the 49ers @ Rams

w

There has been a LOT of discussion among Colts fans and the media as to whether or not the Colts should play to win.

My question is this: What would assure a loss? What would likely result in a W?

Hind sight is 20 20 so call it before kick off.

Dedicate the game to getting Reggie and Garcon 1,000-yard seasons...

I want to win....but throwing on 2 out of every three downs irregardless of field position just to get stats...

...might ensure a loss..

Dedicate the game to getting Reggie and Garcon 1,000-yard seasons...

I want to win....but throwing on 2 out of every three downs irregardless of field position just to get stats...

...might ensure a loss..

I don't know. Jacksonville's secondary and pass rush are only slightly better than ours. That might be a good way to drop a 40-burger on them.

You really want to see the "pundits" and media trash the Colts? Watch what happens if the Colts pull out a win.

Let's play Tampa 2 all game and let Jax dink and dunk their way to 35 points!

If they dink and dunk, they will only get 20 points, but that will be good enough with 53:00 time of possession.

I agree with jskinnz about the media: they are going to pick on us no matter what happens Sunday. I don't really care, and most semi-intelligent people don't either, but it will be a big deal.

Thank you. That made me laugh.

Irregardless is one of my pet peeves - it is not a freaking word.

Other pet peeves:

1) Incorrect use of their and there.

2) Incorrect use of the word core / corps

There - I feel better.

I hate the misuse of the word "literally". He literally flew into the endzone!

No he didn't, he literally ran into the end zone. He figuratively flew.

I hate the misuse of the word "literally". He literally flew into the endzone!

No he didn't, he literally ran into the end zone. He figuratively flew.

Improper use of the word "seen". Idahoans love to say "I seen a coyote today", for example. It is I SAW for heaven sakes! Drives me crazy!!!!

I expect the Colts to control the game and win by a TD or 2.

That first game was one of many that the Colts could have won this year. It was incredibly close (and incredibly dull) for most of it. I wouldn't expect more from the Jags then we saw in that first game, but we could see a lot more from the Colts. With the stabilized oline, solid running game, dramatically better defense, and fewer turnovers I would think that the Colts should be able to slowly build a lead. If it gets to the point where the Jags have to pass instead of riding Drew, Freeney and Mathis may have a field day with the Jags rookie QB, and the Colts might actually dominate. A key factor may be simply motivation and intensity. The Colts have been playing like its the playoffs. I haven't watched the Jags recently, but I get the impression that they have stepped backwards. Bottom line, that isn't Drew Brees or Matt Ryan behind center for the Jags - I think that the Colts are simply a much better team.

Unfortunately you have to assume that the Rams will lose badly. The Niners are playing for seeding, and that defense against a Bradford-less Rams team is not likely to be pretty. Maybe if Alex Smith has an incredibly bad game we could get lucky, but I'm certainly not expecting much.

I agree the Colts are the better team and the "keys' are motivation and intensity

Will they show up? I think yes

Thanks!

You could really say that about most any kind of game, but I think things like penalties and turnovers effect bad teams (which, lets be honest, we are a bad team this year) even more because they have a harder time overcoming it.

5 years Tarik Glenn could false start all he wanted (as an aside, who else misses Tarik's weekly false start?) and it didn't matter because Manning was passing for 15 yards at a time with relative ease.

That's too much to expect from Dan Orlovksy and this offense. We get a holding penalty, and we're likely going to be punting.

:lol; this will be a strange game to watch. I mean seriously, there will be Colts fans NOT freaking out about penalties.