Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton In 04 Would Have Broke Marinos Yard Record Earlier If He Threw As Much As Brees

bayone

..................- Yr ... Co... Att ....C% ... .Yrds....TD ...Int ...Rat. ...Sks ... YPA ..... Sck Yrd ....... ANY /A

Peyton Manning.. 04 336 497 67.6% 4557 ...49 10 121.1 ' 13. ...9.17 .......101 ..............9.78

Remember ( consider the time he was pulled == 2 - 2.5 games -- 1 series in denver in last saesons game& then a great 4 TD & stat performance Vs them in ist playoff game that season & vs lions pulled at end 3rd qrter with 5 tds and may have set singles TD record & also greater rating , also hardly played Vs seattle next to last game)

http://www.18to88.co...ad-what-if.html

2011 BREES

440- compl , 622 - Att , 70.7 % , 41.5- Att /G , 5,087 yards , 8.2 - YPA , 339.10- Yards ,/game 41- TD , 13-IT

notice the ypg difference

http://www.nfl.com/s...&seasonType=REG

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..................- Yr ... Co... Att ....C% ... .Yrds....TD ...Int ...Rat. ...Sks ... YPA ..... Sck Yrd ....... ANY /A

Peyton Manning.. 04 336 497 67.6% 4557 ...49 10 121.1 ' 13. ...9.17 .......101 ..............9.78

Remember ( consider the time he was pulled == 2 - 2.5 games -- 1 series in denver in last saesons game& then a great 4 TD & stat performance Vs them in ist playoff game that season & vs lions pulled at end 3rd qrter with 5 tds and may have set singles TD record & also greater rating , also hardly played Vs seattle next to last game)

http://www.18to88.co...ad-what-if.html

2011 BREES

440- compl , 622 - Att , 70.7 % , 41.5- Att /G , 5,087 yards , 8.2 - YPA , 339.10- Yards ,/game 41- TD , 13-IT

notice the ypg difference

http://www.nfl.com/s...&seasonType=REG

Definetly...but that 6-foot-6 tight end makes is so easy to throw the ball....

Brees is just taking the Manning-Brady style and running with it...

We're going to see soembody throw for 6,000 yards soon if the rules (on pass defense and hitting the QB) dont change

But he didn't, so the record belongs to Brees. That '49' should also say '55', but he didn't play as much as Brady when he (Tom) got his 50.

at least , but thats what happens when u are pulled and are hot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anybody still think this league is about running the ball?

i sure hope brees doesnt break unitas' record.

Unfortunately the way he keeps throwing they hardly ever go for a running TD, think its going down & will be obliterated , i';d cry, but sttill love my football forever where unitas signed it and wrote in his record, 1 of 500 that he did

a different era, which is the greater acomplishent and also over more seasons as was 12 game per season, and with so many nearing and probably at least 1 more , if not 2 breaking Marino's record the same year u see how it's a watered down year as far as yardage and passing stats, similar to year Babe Ruths HR records fell multiple times yetr Rith is still the sultan of swat in most eyes

plenty with over 4000, yard already, Romo would have it but went out last game to save hand for Giants game , Ben may get it unless doesnt play

Passing records this year are crazy

Falcons not happy that Saints went for record

Pro Football Talk

say ran up score to get the yardage & record

The Saints got the ball back at the 33-yard line Monday night, up 38-16, with just over five minutes remaining.

needed 30 yards at the time to break Dan Marino’s record. The Saints would usually be running the ball in that situation. But this wasn’t a usual situation.

Saints coach Sean Payton clearly wanted to get the record on Monday Night Football.

He admitted so after the game.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports
whether the approach was “classy.”

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com
, saying that
running up the score took some shine off the record.

Pro Football Talk

The Saints got the ball back at the 33-yard line Monday night, up 38-16, with just over five minutes remaining.

needed 30 yards at the time to break Dan Marino’s record. The Saints would usually be running the ball in that situation. But this wasn’t a usual situation.

Saints coach Sean Payton clearly wanted to get the record on Monday Night Football.

, saying that

bayone..I'd have to agree..

Did you see them posing for pictures on the sidelines when the game was still going on...?

It was a little much...

Pro Football Talk

, saying that

Sooooo, stop him then, Falcons.

The thing is, they would still be playing the last game full force going for a #2 seed, they could have had the record then.

What would have happened if Brees, while running down the sidelines for a first down, got leveled by a dirty hit by Brent Grimes? Grimes did lower his shoulder but made a clean hit that gave the Saints 4th down. Would Sean Payton re-think him playing Brees then? At some point, it is bound to catch up with you. Right now, the Saints are gathering more dislikes from the NFL community and fans like the Pats did. If the Pats were accused of running up the score in 2007, the Saints took it to another level yesterday, IMO.

bayone..I'd have to agree..

Did you see them posing for pictures on the sidelines when the game was still going on...?

It was a little much...

Tried to but Didn't watch As

My meds kicked in, I often even with truly intense 5.1 surround system, see pregame of night games & awake to the post game show , that includes 2 monstrous subwoofers besides the 5 stunning regular speakers around my bed ( only colt games am I excited enouigh to always make it threw )

Had to build such in bedroom this summerr as balance iissues now makes me often fall off living room couch rendering audio system their worthless

Oh god, not this running up the score crap again.

Look, if you don't want them running up the score, play defense. Whining about it after the fact just makes you look even worse than getting blown out did.

Exactly! They get paid millions of dollars to stop them from scoring even if they are already down two or three TD's.

Oh god, not this running up the score crap again. Look, if you don't want them running up the score, play defense. Whining about it after the fact just makes you look even worse than getting blown out did.

Amen! These professional athletes whining about the score being run up should be embarrassed of themselves. It is not the job of the Saints offense to make sure their little feelings do not get hurt. Here is an idea act like professional football defensive players and stop them!

At least with mentalities like this we will never have to worry about the Falcons doing anything for years to come.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....it didn't happen. It's also possible that we kept Peyton in for those last 2 games and he got injured and wouldn't have been able to finish the season and play in the playoffs. Brees is a great player, he is very similar to Manning. Prepares like mad, reads defenses well, is very team oriented, etc. Instead of being upset over how Manning could have had the record, I think we should congratulate the guy who actually did get the record and move on.

Has anyone read what the fans and camera guys were doing after the game and on blogs today. Im frankly ashamed of the way its being handled. No one was reporting Manning breaking Marinos record for most TDs in a season. Im not being bitter here, just stating facts. I swear the networks love to hate the colts and love the saints.

If he played in the last game against the Broncos, he would still have the record for most TDs in a season. He would probably have 52 touchdowns considering the Broncos pass defense back then, and the game was in Denver. He would still have some records had he play that last game, but for the people saying he gets to 55 touchdowns is a little bit of a stretch.

If he played in the last game against the Broncos, he would still have the record for most TDs in a season. He would probably have 52 touchdowns considering the Broncos pass defense back then, and the game was in Denver. He would still have some records had he play that last game, but for the people saying he gets to 55 touchdowns is a little bit of a stretch.

I'm not sure 55 is too far fetched. The aggressiveness of the coaching staff alone contributed to Brady hitting 50. Manning had some lost opportunities in 04 due to Dungy being passive. 55 might be a slightly low estimate.

I'm not sure 55 is too far fetched. The aggressiveness of the coaching staff alone contributed to Brady hitting 50. Manning had some lost opportunities in 04 due to Dungy being passive. 55 might be a slightly low estimate.

It could have been 55 if they played more aggressively during the season, but they got to 49 in 15 games playing passively, and they weren't going to play aggressively in the last week of the season, which happened to be in the snow. Saying that PM can get 6 touchdowns in the snow in Denver, is very far fetched.

It could have been 55 if they played more aggressively during the season, but they got to 49 in 15 games playing passively, and they weren't going to play aggressively in the last week of the season, which happened to be in the snow. Saying that PM can get 6 touchdowns in the snow in Denver, is very far fetched.

Nowhere did I say that they would get 6 touchdowns in Denver. I don't recall snow, but I'm talking about passive choices throughout the season. It would be absurd to expect 6 touchdowns in any game even though it has happened, but it's not something you can expect in one game in cold weather.

Nowhere did I say that they would get 6 touchdowns in Denver. I don't recall snow, but I'm talking about passive choices throughout the season. It would be absurd to expect 6 touchdowns in any game even though it has happened, but it's not something you can expect in one game in cold weather.

That's exactly what I'm saying. That you can't get 6 touchdowns in the snow/cold weather on the road. BTW, it did snow a couple of hours before the game and there was a ton of snow on the sideline. The field was pretty clean as they blew almost all the snow off the field.

I agree, if the Colts were more aggressive during the season, he could have gotten to 55 touchdowns, and that includes playing the last game.

So are those claiming he would have had 52 - that is a stretch as well considering he had 49 at season's end. This revisionist history of what may have happened is ridiculous no matter the total.

That's exactly what I'm saying. That you can't get 6 touchdowns in the snow/cold weather on the road. BTW, it did snow a couple of hours before the game and there was a ton of snow on the sideline. The field was pretty clean as they blew almost all the snow off the field.

I agree, if the Colts were more aggressive during the season, he could have gotten to 55 touchdowns, and that includes playing the last game.

I guess that is why I don't recall the snow, just a cold game. Sorgi had 2, so Manning having 3-4 wouldn't be an extreme stretch. I'm just saying that he would/should've been closer to 55 entering that likely at 52-54, and then 3-4 would have got him closer to 60...

Manning converted 4/5 4th down conversions that year to extend drives. Brady converted on 15-21 in 2007 which speaks to passivity that I mentioned.

o my head...... manning would have solved world hunger if the colts let him. manning would have brought peace to the middle east if the colts let him go there. the insecurity here is comical. any accomplishment by a QB not named manning has to come with the disclaimer that manning would have done it if he wanted to.

o my head...... manning would have solved world hunger if the colts let him. manning would have brought peace to the middle east if the colts let him go there. the insecurity here is comical. any accomplishment by a QB not named manning has to come with the disclaimer that manning would have done it if he wanted to.

I dont think the fans have insecurity. Its just that they want to highlight Manning could have done better if opportunity provided.

Also, appreciate if we keep the sarcasm and attitude to yourself.

We all got plenty and its a forum run by classy people and members.

I guess that is why I don't recall the snow, just a cold game. Sorgi had 2, so Manning having 3-4 wouldn't be an extreme stretch. I'm just saying that he would/should've been closer to 55 entering that likely at 52-54, and then 3-4 would have got him closer to 60...

Manning converted 4/5 4th down conversions that year to extend drives. Brady converted on 15-21 in 2007 which speaks to passivity that I mentioned.

Yep. I have always said, if BB was coaching Manning things would have been way different.

Tony Dongy was conservative at his best ( atleast knew football better than Caldwell )

at least , but thats what happens when u are pulled and are hot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anybody still think this league is about running the ball?

i sure hope brees doesnt break unitas' record.

Unfortunately the way he keeps throwing they hardly ever go for a running TD, think its going down & will be obliterated , i';d cry, but sttill love my football forever where unitas signed it and wrote in his record, 1 of 500 that he did

a different era, which is the greater acomplishent and also over more seasons as was 12 game per season, and with so many nearing and probably at least 1 more , if not 2 breaking Marino's record the same year u see how it's a watered down year as far as yardage and passing stats, similar to year Babe Ruths HR records fell multiple times yetr Rith is still the sultan of swat in most eyes

plenty with over 4000, yard already, Romo would have it but went out last game to save hand for Giants game , Ben may get it unless doesnt play

Passing records this year are crazy

Remember when Unitas had the records for yards passing, completions and TDs? He was obviously hands down considered the greatest QB of all time - up until the game changed. What are you going to do. I don't want to see the record broken either, but it seems inevitable. Nowadays if a QB doesn't throw a TD pass he is considered to have had a horrible game.

So are those claiming he would have had 52 - that is a stretch as well considering he had 49 at season's end. This revisionist history of what may have happened is ridiculous no matter the total.

It's not ridiculous, us fans are just envisaging what Manning could have gotten had he been more aggressive and had he play that last game.

It's not ridiculous, us fans are just envisaging what Manning could have gotten had he been more aggressive and had he play that last game.

It is 100% nonsense. For all we know, he might have gotten sacked on his next series and got knocked out of the game.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda is always pointless.

It is 100% nonsense. For all we know, he might have gotten sacked on his next series and got knocked out of the game.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda is always pointless.

He might have but we look at law of averages and the law of averages on that particular year was great for him.

Law of averages apply to every thing and we hope positivity. Ex: You buy ticket next weekend for a Colts game ( Based on your theory, we can easily argue, are you sure you will be alive for next weekend, what if you run into an accident, why bother buying tickets?. )

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....it didn't happen. It's also possible that we kept Peyton in for those last 2 games and he got injured and wouldn't have been able to finish the season and play in the playoffs. Brees is a great player, he is very similar to Manning. Prepares like mad, reads defenses well, is very team oriented, etc. Instead of being upset over how Manning could have had the record, I think we should congratulate the guy who actually did get the record and move on.

Not upset just pointing it out ,

if i was realy mad i would of kept argument going in my intial OP that not only was he taken u out but he also just ran did hand offs to run off the clock to end games when could have gotten more TDs & yardage

When on the 33 or 34 yard line, the Saints ran the ball. They were stopped on the 32. 3 more yards and the record waits. There seems to be some insane jealousy when a QB not named Manning sets a new record. It's verging on being childish.

I enjoyed watching that game last night, no pangs of jealousy whatsoever.

The whining from the Falcons is also pathetic. Sour grapes.

He might have but we look at law of averages and the law of averages on that particular year was great for him.

Law of averages apply to every thing and we hope positivity. Ex: You buy ticket next weekend for a Colts game ( Based on your theory, we can easily argue, are you sure you will be alive for next weekend, what if you run into an accident, why bother buying tickets?. )

OK - off base and really kind of funny.

Tell me, how does the law of averages deal with fantasy?

I dont think the fans have insecurity. Its just that they want to highlight Manning could have done better if opportunity provided.

Also, appreciate if we keep the sarcasm and attitude to yourself.

We all got plenty and its a forum run by classy people and members.

Undermining a fantastic achievement by a rival QB is far from classy. Please practice what you preach.