Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton In 04 Would Have Broke Marinos Yard Record Earlier If He Threw As Much As Brees

bayone

Hahhhhah really? Comeon...you dont remember the Colts coming out in that final game in '09 throwing to nobody but Clark and Wayne? They all played juuuuuust long enough to reach their milestones and they were pulled immediately after. They knew exactly how many catches each needed and they stayed in until they reached it.

you are absolutely correct!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please. You really think they made as big a stink over Mannings TD record that was broke the very next year by Brady as they did this whole Brees breaking Marinos Yardage record?

I don't begrudge you for your opinions about chasing records, because that's a totally subjective matter. Your favorite team does it too, but... whatever. Believe what you want to believe.

That said... you're dead wrong if you're saying that Manning's 49th TD pass wasn't a huge deal in the NFL and the media. It was.

And by the way... Manning threw 49 in 2004, and Brady threw 50 three years later, in 2007. Not "the very next year." It will help your argument if you stay a little truer to actual facts.

I don't begrudge you for your opinions about chasing records, because that's a totally subjective matter. Your favorite team does it too, but... whatever. Believe what you want to believe.

That said... you're dead wrong if you're saying that Manning's 49th TD pass wasn't a huge deal in the NFL and the media. It was.

And by the way... Manning threw 49 in 2004, and Brady threw 50 three years later, in 2007. Not "the very next year." It will help your argument if you stay a little truer to actual facts.

Ahh, did i hurt your feelings? :( Heres a big ol warm and fuzzy hug. <3 Feel better?

Funny how if I dont agree with you im wrong. Perceptions are just that. Perception. I just love you pats fans, i really do. <3 much love.

This kind of topic relates well to my personal favorite pastime - mountaineering.

In 1953, it was an incredible achievement for Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzig Norgay to climb Mt. Everest. Several previous expeditions had failed, people had died trying, and there was a strong opinion within the worldwide circle of mountaineers that human beings simply cannot survive at altitudes above 29,000'.

Yet Hillary and Norgay - both breathing supplemental oxygen - succeeded, they did not die, and they became history book heroes.

Flash forward about 20 years to the 1970s. At that point, the "South Col Route" that Hillary and Norgay had climbed had been repeated several times. The luster of standing at the world's highest point had worn off a bit, and though it was still a crowning achievement with alpinists, the public wasn't interested in the 10th, 11th, 12th, etc-etc person to climb Everest.

Then in the 80s, a climber from northern Italy, Reinhold Messner, along with his partner, Peter Habeler, shocked the climbing world by scaling Everest without using bottled oxygen. A few years later, Messner returned, climbed the mountain solo by a new route, again without oxygen, and without support staff (Sherpas) carrying loads for him.

Or you could look at the evolution of running. It wasn't until 1954 that one man - Roger Bannister - broke the "4:00 mile" mark. And he just barely did. Since that time, more than 15 seconds have been shaved off Bannister's mark and a mid-distance runner is not considered elite unless he/she can run a 4-minute mile.

Point is, sports evolve. The games change, athletes get bigger and stronger, and dreams and aspirations get bigger and bigger.

Who here who has played Madden at any point (sadly I no longer do) hasn't broken every record in the book with their team, QB, etc? I think I remember throwing for something like 1200 yards and 11 TDs in one game with Brady once.

Records make us strive to be better, to take what those did before us and to build on that. Nothing wrong with any of that, IMO.

Ahh, did i hurt your feelings? :( Heres a big ol warm and fuzzy hug. <3 Feel better?

Funny how if I dont agree with you im wrong. Perceptions are just that. Perception. I just love you pats fans, i really do. <3 much love.

No, you didn't hurt my feelings. I was actually trying to be nice/respectful. That's what I would do if we were talking face-to-face... I'm not a passive-aggressive keyboard hero trying to somehow make up for my own life's shortcomings, like some folks are on message boards.

I clearly stated that I respect your right to your opinion.

Then I presented facts.

Then you responded with (yet even more) misplaced aggression.

Sorry if this is too difficult to follow.

No, you didn't hurt my feelings. I was actually trying to be nice/respectful. That's what I would do if we were talking face-to-face... I'm not a passive-aggressive keyboard hero trying to somehow make up for my own life's shortcomings, like some folks are on message boards.

I clearly stated that I respect your right to your opinion.

Then I presented facts.

Then you responded with (yet even more) misplaced aggression.

Sorry if

this is too difficult to follow.

So what are you trying to say? You know me? Id talk to you in person the way I do here so dont act like you know me.

You are by far the one with agression issues. You set, wait for me to post, then pounce giving your 10 cent educational psychological assessment.

your lack of a sense of humor is troubling. I was joking and you get incredibly sensitive and overreact. So here is my 2 cents, get off your high horse, chill out, and get over it. I will no longer reduce myself to your rants about how superior you are to the rest of us.

Im beyond done with you and your attitude.

u r right ,

Now between colt fans also in 04 benched after throwing 5 TDs Vs Lions in end of 3rd qrter and may have set a record for TDs in a game

Yeah between Colts fans...Manning could and should have obliterated Marino's TD and yardage records when he had the opportunity in '04 and he should have been allowed to play for perfection in '09. Not his fault though. A victim of the "do what we do" mentality of our coaches and front office. I believe Peyton is the best of his era, but we Colts fan often have to argue these obscure points ad nauseum to prove it to other NFL fans who really don't want to hear it. LOL

That said...I'll still give Brady & Brees their due for actually breaking the records and for making no qualms about their blatant desire to do so.

Some of us just feel cheated based on how Manning has been handled compared to other quarterbacks.

Totally understandable. But at the time, I remember a lot of Indy fans saying that they preferred having Dungy (a nice guy) over someone like Belichick (viewed as evil incarnate).

To be honest, when Manning threw 49 TDs, I did not think that record would be touched for a while. At least a decade or so. Things change quickly I guess.

So what are you trying to say? You know me? Id talk to you in person the way I do here so dont act like you know me.

You are by far the one with agression issues. You set, wait for me to post, then pounce giving your 10 cent educational psychological assessment.

your lack of a sense of humor is troubling. I was joking and you get incredibly sensitive and overreact. So here is my 2 cents, get off your high horse, chill out, and get over it. I will no longer reduce myself to your rants about how superior you are to the rest of us.

Perhaps I'm the one you should be angry at...Because i AM saying that you're wrong. I'm not saying anything about perception...I'm flat telling you that you're wrong when you say that the Colts just had the starters in there to get a little work before the playoffs and it had nothing to do with trying to reach milestones. This isnt a case of just another Pats fan disagreeing with a Colts fan like the narrative youre trying to throw out there...its based on what we all saw and what we all knew. In the last game of the 2009 season, Peyton, Dallas, and Reggie were in there trying to get them each their 100 catches...and the second they did, they came out of the game. Apparently you're the only one who didnt see that, and you think your precious Colts would never be so unclassy and try to break records and reach milestones intentionally.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

You posted factual inaccuracies. I corrected them, and went out of my way to tell you that I respect your opinion.

If message boards upset you this much, maybe it was a bad idea to sign up.

You telling someone else to chill out and not overreact is comedy gold. Your entire posting life on this board is one big overreaction.

Perhaps I'm the one you should be angry at...Because i AM saying that you're wrong. I'm not saying anything about perception...I'm flat telling you that you're wrong when you say that the Colts just had the starters in there to get a little work before the playoffs and it had nothing to do with trying to reach milestones. This isnt a case of just another Pats fan disagreeing with a Colts fan like the narrative youre trying to throw out there...its based on what we all saw and what we all knew. In the last game of the 2009 season, Peyton, Dallas, and Reggie were in there trying to get them each their 100 catches...and the second they did, they came out of the game. Apparently you're the only one who didnt see that, and you think your precious Colts would never be so unclassy and try to break records and reach milestones intentionally.

And who said im angry?? I sure didnt.

And in the words of Simon.. Your wrong. So whaah.

And who said im angry?? I sure didnt.

And in the words of Simon.. Your wrong. So whaah.

No rebuttle to the points made in my post? Just the 'na na na na na I cant hear you' response? You dont think the Colts were gunning for personal statistical milestones in that last game? I want to hear your reasons for why you believe that to be the case.

No rebuttle to the points made in my post? Just the 'na na na na na I cant hear you' response? You dont think the Colts were gunning for personal statistical milestones in that last game? I want to hear your reasons for why you believe that to be the case.

That would mean I would have to lower myself to your level. :)

That would mean I would have to lower myself to your level. :)

I'll make it easy for you. You just have to answer two simple questions, it wont require you to drop, or raise, to any level other than the one you're currently on.

How many catches did Dallas Clark have in 2009?

How many catches did Reggie Wayne have in 2009?

Totally understandable. But at the time, I remember a lot of Indy fans saying that they preferred having Dungy (a nice guy) over someone like Belichick (viewed as evil incarnate).

To be honest, when Manning threw 49 TDs, I did not think that record would be touched for a while. At least a decade or so. Things change quickly I guess.

I'm sure a lot of them liked that passive style. I didn't really want Dungy because we didn't have the players to fully run his Tampa Bay defense and while we had some seasons of moderate success, we never saw anything close to Sapp/Brooks/Lynch. $ can't be spent like crazy on both sides of the ball.

I'm a firm believer that you put your put on the pedal and you rarely left off of it. Then when he retires, we get the softer less knowledgeable version with the puppet pouch, yet we keep the same defense with nobody here to run it. We get rid of the two coaches that were keys to the offense for so many years. It's just been a huge mess. Yet we probably keep the same cast calling the shots. Too bad those will be misfires too.

Even without expanding to 18 games I could see 55 td's and 5500 yards within 5 years. if they stretch the schedule to 18 games those would easily go to 60 and 6000. Marino's 48 will be viewed like Ruth's 60 and Manning/Brady's 49/50 will be more like Maris' 61, while Matt Stafford's 53-55 will be more like Mcgwire or Bonds minus the steroid scandal.

I'm sure a lot of them liked that passive style. I didn't really want Dungy because we didn't have the players to fully run his Tampa Bay defense and while we had some seasons of moderate success, we never saw anything close to Sapp/Brooks/Lynch. $ can't be spent like crazy on both sides of the ball.

I'm a firm believer that you put your put on the pedal and you rarely left off of it. Then when he retires, we get the softer less knowledgeable version with the puppet pouch, yet we keep the same defense with nobody here to run it. We get rid of the two coaches that were keys to the offense for so many years. It's just been a huge mess. Yet we probably keep the same cast calling the shots. Too bad those will be misfires too.

Even without expanding to 18 games I could see 55 td's and 5500 yards within 5 years. if they stretch the schedule to 18 games those would easily go to 60 and 6000. Marino's 48 will be viewed like Ruth's 60 and Manning/Brady's 49/50 will be more like Maris' 61, while Matt Stafford's 53-55 will be more like Mcgwire or Bonds minus the steroid scandal.

All good points. The game changes and I don't expect 50 TDs or Brees' current yardage record to hold up for too long.

Gets you thinking... Ruth's HR record stood for a long, long time, huh? We were all pretty excited when McGwire and Sosa chased it. Too bad, in hindsight, we were all getting jobbed on that one!

All good points. The game changes and I don't expect 50 TDs or Brees' current yardage record to hold up for too long.

Gets you thinking... Ruth's HR record stood for a long, long time, huh? We were all pretty excited when McGwire and Sosa chased it. Too bad, in hindsight, we were all getting jobbed on that one!

Pluse the league corked up the baseball..in the name of more offense..just like the NFL with their passing <sigh>

;)

Your posts in this thread have made me extremely uncomfortable. Two very knowledgeable and level-headed posters present facts and statistical evidence, and you respond with something along the lines of "Na-na-na-na-na-na, I can't hear you. Why are you getting so mad?" Are you serious? This message board isn't a place to take shots at people, or upset other people, or anything of that nature. It's to discuss the Colts and the NFL in a respectable manner.

Your posts in this thread have made me extremely uncomfortable. Two very knowledgeable and level-headed posters present facts and statistical evidence, and you respond with something along the lines of "Na-na-na-na-na-na, I can't hear you. Why are you getting so mad?" Are you serious? This message board isn't a place to take shots at people, or upset other people, or anything of that nature. It's to discuss the Colts and the NFL in a respectable manner.

Omg, really. Pull the stick out already it was a joke. Lighten up. Its fine to joke around, which was what i was doing. Folks like yourself take things WAY too serious sometimes. Im guilty of it myself sometimes. And if your so uncomfortable, this isnt for you then.

why do we all have to be so dang serious. Speaking of taking shots, what do you think you just did. Ya, took a shot at me.

He got his facts wrong, and then came out attacking with childish retorts. Kind of embarrassing really.

Thankfully D13 and GoPats (aka the Voldemort Twins) can handle it.