Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton In 04 Would Have Broke Marinos Yard Record Earlier If He Threw As Much As Brees

bayone

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. 6 quarters for 320 yards,he would have done it.

Of course, our jskinnz will beg to differ :).

Peyton threw for 4,700 yards in 2010. I always said if he could've had another game then he would have broken the record.

2010 Manning didn't miss any time, so he was pretty maxed out, 2009, he missed some opportunities due to being pulled vs. Jets/Bills.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....it didn't happen. It's also possible that we kept Peyton in for those last 2 games and he got injured and wouldn't have been able to finish the season and play in the playoffs. Brees is a great player, he is very similar to Manning. Prepares like mad, reads defenses well, is very team oriented, etc. Instead of being upset over how Manning could have had the record, I think we should congratulate the guy who actually did get the record and move on.

i completely agree!

the game changing doesn't take away from how good he was!

Very true. I didn't get to see him play much - I just knew the legend - but after he died I read a couple of dozen articles (many in the Baltimore Sun), and learned a lot more details. The man was as tough and smart a football player as you'll ever see.

Remember when Unitas had the records for yards passing, completions and TDs? He was obviously hands down considered the greatest QB of all time - up until the game changed. What are you going to do. I don't want to see the record broken either, but it seems inevitable. Nowadays if a QB doesn't throw a TD pass he is considered to have had a horrible game.

the game changing doesn't take away from how good he was!

Very true. I didn't get to see him play much - I just knew the legend - but after he died I read a couple of dozen articles (many in the Baltimore Sun), and learned a lot more details. The man was as tough and smart a football player as you'll ever see.

Unitas story,

have this on my computer as been asked before

I wish i had time to tell u all as grew up with him playing and his rookie card was in my 1st pack of football cards bought

he did all the film study as Peyton , did it with Ray berry

just 1 thing

'That 58 game champ game

on the first ever 2 minute drive to tie , there was a defense they never saw before on the playing field designed to take away the throw to berry to the outside preventing running out of bounds using 2 defenders & keeping the clock going

way before this they saw that same defense in film and said if we ever see this lets do this

Well they each looked at each other and wondered if the other remembered, the play started, and instead of going to the outside Berry cut across the middle of the field where when he turned to look the ball was there right in his hands and they marched down the field to tie

Remember for the win he could of called a FG, and called a run & got a TD in first ever OT game , not just OT in championship

--------------------

In the book Johnny Unitas Americas QB, 2 forwards 1 by teamate Art Donovan & 1 by Peyton

peyton said

You hear aabout players from other eras, & some wonder if thgey would be as good today. Well let me tell u, there's no wondering about Johnny Unitas. He was a superstar then. He would be a superstar today. The NFL should name an award after him for all that hes meant. He put the NFL on the map.

--------------------------------

Coaches often said whatever u do dont do this, Unitas would do it anyway based on what he saw and it worked

he was an earlier version of Peyton smarts way ahead of his time

there was 1 game he was mauled but legal then, he stood up , blood flowing from his nose & I think was Mackey but not sure who stuffed mud up his nose to slow it but while still bleeding and blood flowing down face he didnt miss a down and led the team downfield to score. So when u were out of a game back then u really were hurt

Thats all , Have to go

Ahhhh dont worry about him too much, a lot of the people on this board has stopped listening to him a long time ago.

Please speak for yourself Andy. I disagree with plenty of Jskinnz posts, but on this one he is 100% correct. All this make believe nonsense just smacks of jealousy and infantile denial. Brees and his supporting cast deserves every accolade they get.

Please speak for yourself Andy. I disagree with plenty of Jskinnz posts, but on this one he is 100% correct. All this make believe nonsense just smacks of jealousy and infantile denial. Brees and his supporting cast deserves every accolade they get.

Guess your hung over is gone now?

I started this post and agree, there is no denying Brees is Elite, He got it and he deserves the recognition, I only made post to show a stat, not to drive a controversy

Maybe my fault for not thinking before posting on where this will be taking to going forward to a different level than intended

I started this post and agree, there is no denying Brees is Elite, He got it and he deserves the recognition, I only made post to show a stat, not to drive a controversy

Maybe my fault for not thinking before posting on where this will be taking to going forward to a different level than intended

No need to apologise Barry. It's what the board is for, even if it gets a little chippy now and again. It's only word fighting.

Now what if Brady throws for 500 yards!!

Not your fault at all.

People are people with different opinions and understanding.

Yeah, How about Manning next year breaks every record set this year ( only if Garcon doesnt drop passes :P )

It's pretty sad that you and others are trying (and failing) at whitewashing Brees' and Brady's records with fantasy "What if's?". Fact is, Manning is rapidly losing all of his major records. In fact, I can't think of one major one that he currently holds. Rogers will have his QBR by the end of this season. All that's left is for bitter Colt fans like your self trying to justify what Manning "woulda" done.

(null)

It's pretty sad that you and others are trying (and failing) at whitewashing Brees' and Brady's records with fantasy "What if's?". Fact is, Manning is rapidly losing all of his major records. In fact, I can't think of one major one that he currently holds. Rogers will have his QBR by the end of this season. All that's left is for bitter Colt fans like your self trying to justify what Manning "woulda" done.

(null)

Common sense would tell you all records eventually get broke based simply on the way the game has changed. The fact Manningg set so many not trying to set records unlike Brees and his coach did speaks volumes.

Someone someday will break Jerry Rices' record and so on. Sounds like your the one thats all upset. Why, because Manning held so many records compared to Brady or what?

No one can deny Brees was going after that record. Instead of just letting it happen they purposely did it, and I dont agree with doing business that way. And no, i wouldnt push for Manning to get it if he were close. If it happens, it happens.

No need to go chasing after records. Its pathetic.

(null)

There is no fantasizing, its just mind boggling the pace Manning is setting not only for potential career records but for what he HAS accomplished. He broke his records hardly trying. 49 TDs in 336 completions is pretty darn good. As well as 4500 yards in that span.

Now for potential career records:

The irony in this post is Brees has played less seasons than Brady and is catching up to Brady very quickly in terms of career stats and may pass him in the next couple seasons while they are both still playing. Brees actually passed Brady for passing yards this year, and is 21 behind the TD mark.

Manning on the other hand; his career stats are still up there.

There is no fantasizing, its just mind boggling the pace Manning is setting not only for potential career records but for what he HAS accomplished. He broke his records hardly trying. 49 TDs in 336 completions is pretty darn good. As well as 4500 yards in that span.

Now for potential career records:

The irony in this post is Brees has played less seasons than Brady and is catching up to Brady very quickly in terms of career stats and may pass him in the next couple seasons while they are both still playing. Brees actually passed Brady for passing yards this year, and is 21 behind the TD mark.

Manning on the other hand; his career stats are still up there.

adding on to this, 497 attempts.

Has anyone read what the fans and camera guys were doing after the game and on blogs today. Im frankly ashamed of the way its being handled. No one was reporting Manning breaking Marinos record for most TDs in a season. Im not being bitter here, just stating facts. I swear the networks love to hate the colts and love the saints.

Well that's b s ... it was HUGE when Manning broke Marino's TD record and a LOT was made of the accomplishment. I remember the pass to Stokely quite vividly and to say not much was made of it is to not remember it very accurately.

High comedy Andy. You are one of the people I debate with the most and you respond to virtually everything I post to you.

Jskinnz, I respond to you, but no offense, I never really take any of your stuff seriously. I respond because usually I disagree. :)

Now braveheartcolt, Drew Brees deserves every record he's broken this year. He definitely deserves the passing record as he should have broken it in 08. He's a real leader, and he's a great guy. Got a whole city behind him. Drew Brees deserves everything he's breaking, but I was talking about the touchdown record, something that he can't break. I don't even think I said anything about Drew.

(null)

Don't worry, the way Brees and Rodgers are playing, Brady won't have any major records too. Bold prediction on Rodgers and the QB passer rating. He hasn't been stellar against the Lions, so it's not a guarantee.

Well that's b s ... it was HUGE when Manning broke Marino's TD record and a LOT was made of the accomplishment. I remember the pass to Stokely quite vividly and to say not much was made of it is to not remember it very accurately.

Oh please. You really think they made as big a stink over Mannings TD record that was broke the very next year by Brady as they did this whole Brees breaking Marinos Yardage record? My biggest problem with it was both coach and player went after it. What was the colts running game like the year Manning broke Marinos record?? Pretty bad. To win, Manning like all others years since was forced to throw to win. Brees has a good run game with Sproles in the back field, yet he continued to throw late in the game only to get a record. That was his decision, but one I dont agree with. Thats just me. I dont agree with chasing records like he did.

The networks would not shut up about it before, during, and after the game. Heck, Brees hadnt even broke the record yet and all the outlets were brees this brees that. He's the best.. when just last week it was Rodgers is the best ever. I have not once heard the same guys mutter a word about Manning/Brady like that. It was always Manning vs Brady. You dont hear that going on between Brees and Rodgers now do you..? Both NFC players, both having good years, minus the networks controversy between the two.

Common sense would tell you all records eventually get broke based simply on the way the game has changed. The fact Manningg set so many not trying to set records unlike Brees and his coach did speaks volumes.

Someone someday will break Jerry Rices' record and so on. Sounds like your the one thats all upset. Why, because Manning held so many records compared to Brady or what?

No one can deny Brees was going after that record. Instead of just letting it happen they purposely did it, and I dont agree with doing business that way. And no, i wouldnt push for Manning to get it if he were close. If it happens, it happens.

Coach wasn't trying to break the record all year with Brees...but you get down to the last game or two and he's what 10 yards or so away from it...naturally the coach is going to say go for it. What's wrong with that.

Please. The Colts do it too. Remember how they always rest their starters at the end of seasons in order to prevent injury? But then they throw Peyton out there just long enough so that Reggie and Dallas can reach their milestones? Its no different.

Lets be honest...if Brees didnt break it Monday, he would this week anyways. Whats the harm in trying to do it while the world is watching on Monday Night Football? Thats what people wanted to see...and thats what people got.

Some of you guys really need to take the Colts off the pedestal....they are no different than any other team in this league.

Please. The Colts do it too. Remember how they always rest their starters at the end of seasons in order to prevent injury? But then they throw Peyton out there just long enough so that Reggie and Dallas can reach their milestones? Its no different.

Lets be honest...if Brees didnt break it Monday, he would this week anyways. Whats the harm in trying to do it while the world is watching on Monday Night Football? Thats what people wanted to see...and thats what people got.

Some of you guys really need to take the Colts off the pedestal....they are no different than any other team in this league.

I'd say the majority of Colts fans have no issue with chasing records. I was at Meadowlands when Brady chucked his 50th TD pass, and applauded warmly even although I was hoping he didn't get it. Stoopid Jints CB slipped!

And I was willing Brees on this week. Manning has done many amazing things in his career to date, I don't mind if others succeed as well.

You really think thats what that was. Actually that should not be surprising coming from a person such as yourself. They played those guys to keep them fresh and working, then would put in the backups to rest the starters. That was a rediculous statement d13er.

o my head...... manning would have solved world hunger if the colts let him. manning would have brought peace to the middle east if the colts let him go there. the insecurity here is comical. any accomplishment by a QB not named manning has to come with the disclaimer that manning would have done it if he wanted to.

QFT. This is why some NFL fans perceive Colts fans as kinda annoying some times. Granted what many try to argue as justification for Manning may indeed have some truth to it but to non-Colts fans it just comes off as sour grapes. The average NFL fan doesn't care nor will even remember that Manning was benched for most of the last 2 games of '04 or that Polian and the front office got cold feet when presented with the opportunity to pursue the "undefeated season" in '09. They will only remember the bottom line. The stats are what they are and history happened as it did. It is what it is.

You really think thats what that was. Actually that should not be surprising coming from a person such as yourself. They played those guys to keep them fresh and working, then would put in the backups to rest the starters. That was a rediculous statement d13er.

Hahhhhah really? Comeon...you dont remember the Colts coming out in that final game in '09 throwing to nobody but Clark and Wayne? They all played juuuuuust long enough to reach their milestones and they were pulled immediately after. They knew exactly how many catches each needed and they stayed in until they reached it.

QFT. This is why some NFL fans perceive Colts fans as kinda annoying some times. Granted what many try to argue as justification for Manning may indeed have some truth to it but to non-Colts fans it just comes off as sour grapes. The average NFL fan doesn't care nor will even remember that Manning was benched for most of the last 2 games of '04 or that Polian and the front office got cold feet when presented with the opportunity to pursue the "undefeated season" in '09. They will only remember the bottom line. The stats are what they are and history happened as it did. It is what it is.

u r right ,

Now between colt fans also in 04 benched after throwing 5 TDs Vs Lions in end of 3rd qrter and may have set a record for TDs in a game

Hahhhhah really? Comeon...you dont remember the Colts coming out in that final game in '09 throwing to nobody but Clark and Wayne? They all played juuuuuust long enough to reach their milestones and they were pulled immediately after. They knew exactly how many catches each needed and they stayed in until they reached it.

Not sure if was no throwing to no one else but yes made well sure those 2 they got 100 catches or 1000 yards or whatever that stat was they were going for

Common sense would tell you all records eventually get broke based simply on the way the game has changed. \

The fact Manningg set so many not trying to set records unlike Brees and his coach did speaks volumes.

I would agree with that because Peyton as games winded down and had lead would way to often just hand off to burn the clock and took his foot off the pedal

as far as brees going for it, thats up to him & his coach, same with brady & TDs, A record though is a record , No asterisks