Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyler varga gets drafted by calgary stampeders (cfl)

12isthenew18

This is a serious decision for him IMO. I mean his best hope here is the P.S. And that isn't guaranteed, especially considering guys like Tipton. But of course I have no idea what the CFL pays.

CFL players make much less. The average CFL player makes $82K/year. Rookie minimum is $50K. 

A player on the practice squad all 17 weeks of the season will make $112K, at least ($6,600/week). And if you get called up to the active roster, you get three weeks of rookie minimum pay, even if you only stay on the roster one week. Rookie minimum in 2015 is $435K (divided by 17 weeks, times 3), so if a practice squad player makes it to the active roster, he gets at least an extra ~$77K, which is basically what a CFL player makes in a 22 week season.

The bad part about it is that if you go to the CFL, you're not eligible to go back to the NFL until your contract expires, unless your CFL team is going to let you out of your contract (and if they just spent a draft pick on you, why would they do that?) Yet, if you want to stick around the NFL, you have to be a part of the offseason program, which is when the CFL season runs (starts in June). You can't do both. The NFL really should invest in the CFL, help them develop players, increase their revenues and salaries, and then they'll have another league where teams can stash some players. 

CFL players make much less. The average CFL player makes $82K/year. Rookie minimum is $50K.

A player on the practice squad all 17 weeks of the season will make $112K, at least ($6,600/week). And if you get called up to the active roster, you get three weeks of rookie minimum pay, even if you only stay on the roster one week. Rookie minimum in 2015 is $435K (divided by 17 weeks, times 3), so if a practice squad player makes it to the active roster, he gets at least an extra ~$77K, which is basically what a CFL player makes in a 22 week season.

The bad part about it is that if you go to the CFL, you're not eligible to go back to the NFL until your contract expires, unless your CFL team is going to let you out of your contract (and if they just spent a draft pick on you, why would they do that?) Yet, if you want to stick around the NFL, you have to be a part of the offseason program, which is when the CFL season runs (starts in June). You can't do both. The NFL really should invest in the CFL, help them develop players, increase their revenues and salaries, and then they'll have another league where teams can stash some players.

If it wasn't for the differences between Canadian and American Football the CFL would be a perfect feeder system

If it wasn't for the differences between Canadian and American Football the CFL would be a perfect feeder system

I really don't even think the differences are that big of a deal. The biggest issue is the pre-snap movement from receivers, but that's only one receiver per play. I know the field is wider and there's more passing, but when I watched some CFL games last year, I felt like you can evaluate players for the NFL with little issue. 

I think you guys are underestimating Tyler Varga.  I thought the same things based on stereotype, but honestly, when I looked at this tape I completely changed my mind.

I know that the pecking order generally goes by $$$ attached to the player and not necessarily ability but this is no way to field the best team possible. The only thing that will guarantee you is another Trent Richardson.

This is a serious decision for him IMO. I mean his best hope here is the P.S. And that isn't guaranteed, especially considering guys like Tipton. But of course I have no idea what the CFL pays.

I'm not so sure his best shot is the PS. Gore is the #1 back for sure. After that it's pretty wide open.

I don't see Ballard being ready for week 1. I'm not even sure he makes it back. Achilles injuries have been RB killers.

Boom has the inside track for #2 but if he puts it on the carpet a few times in the preseason....

Robinson Varga and Tipton will get their chance.

Varga showed at the Senior Bowl he's a RB and can play with the big boys. Most draft "gurus" had him being drafted.

It he can make himself an asset on ST's adding to his versitility. He could slip on the 53 man especially if we keep 4.

We have had an UDFA make the final roster an NFL record 16 straight years so chances are one of the UDFA's stick this year too.

PS is probably more realistic but a lot of things could happen between now and September. If they leave the door cracked I wouldn't be surprised if Varga busted through it.

It's not even close to a tough decision. It's nothing. There's no decision. There's no question.

I think you guys are underestimating Tyler Varga.  I thought the same things based on stereotype, but honestly, when I looked at this tape I completely changed my mind. 

I know that the pecking order generally goes by $$$ attached to the player and not necessarily ability but this is no way to field the best team possible. The only thing that will guarantee you is another Trent Richardson.

Welcome John!!  I am a little embarrassed you used a photo of me as your avatar.   :funny:  :lol:  :woah:

id love to know where you get all this info superman. im very interested

Not bad. Good change of direction, decent enough speed (he ran a 4.69 forty, and a 4.37 shuttle), they gave him some Y Banana action, he has good hands... He's really just a strong RB who finishes well.

• Was a three-time All-Ivy honoree and finished his collegiate career at Yale ranked fourth in rushing yards (2,985), fifth in attempts (529), third in rushing touchdowns (31) and second in yards per carry average (5.6).
  • Had 17 games with 100-plus rushing yards in college and three games with over 200 yards.
  • Was a First Team All-Ivy selection his senior year after rushing for 1,423 yards and 26 total touchdowns, which is a Yale school record.
  • Averaged 6.1 yards per carry and 142 yards per game his senior season.
  • Prior to Yale, attended the University of Western Ontario for one season in 2011 where he was named team MVP, conference Player of the year and Canadian Interuniversity Sport National Freshman of the Year.
  • Served as a captain of the North Squad at the 2015 Senior Bowl, where he rushed for two touchdowns.

id love to know where you get all this info superman. im very interested

The Google Machine. All this contract stuff is interesting to me, so I tend to remember the basics and know how certain information fits in, but I'm always looking stuff up to refresh my memory and get updates.

I do not think we should overlook who we have.  A certain Tipton fella ran over people when given an opportunity  :thmup:

True we never know what injuries play out in camp , and we also have Josh Robinson . Will be a crowded group at RB.

Personally, I would think it would be more likely he goes to medical school than the CFL if he does not make the 53 man. Why would he waste his time hanging around on the PS for peanut money? It's not like he is a graduate of Bubba Gump College? Same thing goes for Zach Hodges. I mean these are Yale and Harvard grads, that has to have more value than the PS?

I had small hopes for the FXFL, but it just doesn't really seem to be gaining any traction.  Out of all the leagues, the CFL is the only one that's lasted.  Of course, there is a big thanks to that for the NFL who kinda bailed them out with an interest free loan in the late 90s.  Once that agreement was over, tehy tried to strike another and the CFL broke off negotiations after it got its own TV deal.  So I think the problem isn't with the NFL investing, it's with the CFL allowing the NFL to invest.  Which, when I put it that way, it sounds weird since, what business doesn't want investors?  Perhaps the NFL wants more control.  I use the term "control" loosely, but include things like expansion, perhaps even CFL teams in the US, opportunity for players and coaches to migrate between leagues, and perhaps some other perks the CFL doesn't want to give.  It's hard to say without knowing the details of the previous negotiations and why it died.

My guess is that the hang up is on expansion (and maybe ownership thereof - we are looking for a farm system after all), which is one thing the CFL has really struggled.  That's in part because the mid-90's expansion teams in the US was too much, too fast, too soon.  One could even make the argument that the expansion into America caused, at least in part, the need for NFL investments to keep the CFL alive. The other part, I think, has to do with corporate sponsorship and keeping the CFL self-sufficient.  With the NFL partnering with the CFL, there of course exist the opportunity for sponsors to see that as an attractive means of gaining sponsorship of the NFL as well.  All it takes is for the venture to fail again, should it repeat the mistakes of the past, and sponsors to choose sides - a dying CFL or a flourishing NFL.   All partnerships might start out with both sides seeing it as mutually beneficial, but if it ever got to a point where it didn't work, you could pretty much expect what would happen and where the sponsorship dollars would go.  That's why I think the negotiations died after the CFL got its own TV contract.  No competition and it is protected from the risk of losing its business to the NFL - it does have the most to lose after all.

That said, in recent years, as with the NFL, it's seen a massive growth in followers.  Unfortunately, unlike the NFL, while the growth in viewership has risen in the CFL, the CFL's rise in popularity hasn't really extended outside of Canada, where as the NFL's popularity has expanded globally.  So I can understand the CFL's reluctance.  I'm not sure if there's a way to make a farm system out of the CFL any more than it already is.  That's why I wished the FXFL would have done a little better than it has.  But the CFL generally gets the best players not drafted and any farm league that wants to compete will have to significantly dig into that pool of players over the course of several years and still find a way to survive without a large number of American viewers.  Seems unlikely, unless the NFL essentially invests in itself.

Personally, I would think it would be more likely he goes to medical school than the CFL if he does not make the 53 man. Why would he waste his time hanging around on the PS for peanut money? It's not like he is a graduate of Bubba Gump College? Same thing goes for Zach Hodges. I mean these are Yale and Harvard grads, that has to have more value than the PS?

You have a short window of time when you can play professional football. He can go be a doctor later. If he really wants to play football -- and obviously, he does -- this is his opportunity. 

112k a year (at worst) to practice is "peanut money"?

PS players get called up to the 53 all the time. I think there's next to no doubt Varga/Hodges will join a PS, if offered a spot, if he doesn't make a 53.

Also, what Superman said, medical school isn't going anywhere.

I agree, this is where the NFL has just lagged for so many years and in the era we live in today. The MLB has at least 3 farm systems to draw from yet the NFL can't figure out how to put one farm system up. It may just simply because of the violent nature of playing football that doesn't allow for it to get up to speed, idk, but you would think there would be a huge plus to have teams with farms. No indoor crap that plays in basketball arenas. Maybe it's time they get involved with the established Canada league and see what they could work out. It would lead to windfalls for both one would think.

If he is a player, and I assume he is and has been his whole career, languishing on the PS is not playing. Especially if you dont get any opportunity or just empty promises. If that is the argument then go where you will play. Otherwise whats the point? Guys hang around on the PS and nonsense squad because they have no options. Clearly this is not the case for Varga, Hodges or any other UDFA that has graduated and has a degree from a worthwhile school. Would you sacrifice a medical career or Wall St. opportunity for minimum wage, a promise and hope that the guy in front of you gets injured? What kind of tradeoff is that? These guys are not your run of the mill uneducated low Wonderlic guys that have no clue of what is going on. I would think that teams would have to step up and offer better pay on the PS to keep players like this, that is if they care who they have on the PS. At the end of the day, money will win out in both directions .... everyone goes where the cash is greener or the savings are greater.

My point is not to overlook this kid, options or not. I hope Grigson is not blinded by the fact that he paid a few paltry dollars to get Robinson and that keeps him from giving Varga his just opportunity. Likewise with the Ballard and Tipton situation. I understand the situation with Gore as they paid him the big bucks so performance or not you are stuck with him. I think we have been there and done that on quite a few occasions before?

If he is a player, and I assume he is and has been his whole career, languishing on the PS is not playing. Especially if you dont get any opportunity or just empty promises. If that is the argument then go where you will play. Otherwise whats the point? Guys hang around on the PS and nonsense squad because they have no options. Clearly this is not the case for Varga, Hodges or any other UDFA that has graduated and has a degree from a worthwhile school. Would you sacrifice a medical career or Wall St. opportunity for minimum wage, a promise and hope that the guy in front of you gets injured? What kind of tradeoff is that? These guys are not your run of the mill uneducated low Wonderlic guys that have no clue of what is going on. I would think that teams would have to step up and offer better pay on the PS to keep players like this, that is if they care who they have on the PS. At the end of the day, money will win out in both directions .... everyone goes where the cash is greener or the savings are greater.

My point is not to overlook this kid, options or not. I hope Grigson is not blinded by the fact that he paid a few paltry dollars to get Robinson and that keeps him from giving Varga his just opportunity. Likewise with the Ballard and Tipton situation. I understand the situation with Gore as they paid him the big bucks so performance or not you are stuck with him. I think we have been there and done that on quite a few occasions before?

Do you think first year medical pros, even with Ivy League degrees, make more than $50-80K/year? Varga can go to the CFL right now and make that in half a year, and still be a football player, and still have a chance later on at making the NFL. This is obviously what he wants to do. If he "languishes" on the practice squad for a couple years, he'll have made a good $240K for 34 weeks of grunt work. 

If money wins out in both directions, then sticking around for a couple years in hopes of making an active roster is more lucrative.

I had small hopes for the FXFL, but it just doesn't really seem to be gaining any traction.  Out of all the leagues, the CFL is the only one that's lasted.  Of course, there is a big thanks to that for the NFL who kinda bailed them out with an interest free loan in the late 90s.  Once that agreement was over, tehy tried to strike another and the CFL broke off negotiations after it got its own TV deal.  So I think the problem isn't with the NFL investing, it's with the CFL allowing the NFL to invest.  Which, when I put it that way, it sounds weird since, what business doesn't want investors?  Perhaps the NFL wants more control.  I use the term "control" loosely, but include things like expansion, perhaps even CFL teams in the US, opportunity for players and coaches to migrate between leagues, and perhaps some other perks the CFL doesn't want to give.  It's hard to say without knowing the details of the previous negotiations and why it died.

My guess is that the hang up is on expansion (and maybe ownership thereof - we are looking for a farm system after all), which is one thing the CFL has really struggled.  That's in part because the mid-90's expansion teams in the US was too much, too fast, too soon.  One could even make the argument that the expansion into America caused, at least in part, the need for NFL investments to keep the CFL alive. The other part, I think, has to do with corporate sponsorship and keeping the CFL self-sufficient.  With the NFL partnering with the CFL, there of course exist the opportunity for sponsors to see that as an attractive means of gaining sponsorship of the NFL as well.  All it takes is for the venture to fail again, should it repeat the mistakes of the past, and sponsors to choose sides - a dying CFL or a flourishing NFL.   All partnerships might start out with both sides seeing it as mutually beneficial, but if it ever got to a point where it didn't work, you could pretty much expect what would happen and where the sponsorship dollars would go.  That's why I think the negotiations died after the CFL got its own TV contract.  No competition and it is protected from the risk of losing its business to the NFL - it does have the most to lose after all.

That said, in recent years, as with the NFL, it's seen a massive growth in followers.  Unfortunately, unlike the NFL, while the growth in viewership has risen in the CFL, the CFL's rise in popularity hasn't really extended outside of Canada, where as the NFL's popularity has expanded globally.  So I can understand the CFL's reluctance.  I'm not sure if there's a way to make a farm system out of the CFL any more than it already is.  That's why I wished the FXFL would have done a little better than it has.  But the CFL generally gets the best players not drafted and any farm league that wants to compete will have to significantly dig into that pool of players over the course of several years and still find a way to survive without a large number of American viewers.  Seems unlikely, unless the NFL essentially invests in itself.

This is good stuff. When you're talking about a multi-billion dollar enterprise "partnering" with a similar multi-million dollar enterprise, control and autonomy are going to be major sticking points. Otherwise, it easily becomes a takeover, and the CFL obviously wants to operate independently.

Driving revenue shouldn't be that difficult, though. Sponsorship agreements and spotlights and stuff like that should drive some eyeballs and make some money for the CFL. We itch for football from June to August; how come the CFL can't get more TV time in the summer?

I think it would go a long way for both leagues if they loosened the restrictions on players going from one league to the other. If an NFL team tries out a few players, and doesn't have roster space for them, it would be great if they could assign that player to a CFL roster and retain his rights. Then once the CFL season ends (in November, with playoffs going into December), that player can be called up to the NFL team as part of an expanded practice squad, similar to MLB's September call-ups and 40 man rosters. They can't play in any games; they just finished a 20-22 game season. Players on the active roster can take more time off during practices, the CFL guys can get some coaching and reps and film work, and then the team has the right to retain the CFL guy for the next season.

I get your point but you seem to miss the fact that Yale and Harvard grads have a line up of opportunities beating down their door. The average starting salary of one of these grads is north of six figures. This is not your local college opportunity. These are some of the wealthiest schools in the world and they are that for a reason. I am just wondering why someone would put that on the shelf to screw around with a likely dead end option on the PS squad? I wouldn't do it unless I was certain of a fair shake opporunity or I was being well compensated for my opporunity cost on the other end.  But in the same token, I want these kids on the roster. Even if you discount their athletic ability, the smarts more than make up for it. If you get two players of equal or close to equal physical ability but one is way smarter than the other, who do you think will get the job done for you more efficiently and wiith less headaches? Every situation has a choice, the hard way or the smart way! I don't know about you but I will take the smart way 100% of the time. And don't say that the RB position does not require high degree of intelligence because that stereotype is exactly what the NFL bad press headlines have been all about in the last year.

It's not even close to a tough decision. It's nothing. There's no decision. There's no question.

its not

Yep, I didn't realize the money difference from the CFL to even just being on the PS. I figured he could go up there and actually play and get paid more than being on the PS. My bad guys.

I get your point but you seem to miss the fact that Yale and Harvard grads have a line up of opportunities beating down their door. The average starting salary of one of these grads is north of six figures. This is not your local college opportunity. These are some of the wealthiest schools in the world and they are that for a reason. I am just wondering why someone would put that on the shelf to screw around with a likely dead end option on the PS squad? I wouldn't do it unless I was certain of a fair shake opporunity or I was being well compensated for my opporunity cost on the other end. But in the same token, I want these kids on the roster. Even if you discount their athletic ability, the smarts more than make up for it. If you get two players of equal or close to equal physical ability but one is way smarter than the other, who do you think will get the job done for you more efficiently and wiith less headaches? Every situation has a choice, the hard way or the smart way! I don't know about you but I will take the smart way 100% of the time. And don't say that the RB position does not require high degree of intelligence because that stereotype is exactly what the NFL bad press headlines have been all about in the last year.

The average starting salary for Yale or Harvard grads is no where near 6 figures.