Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyler varga gets drafted by calgary stampeders (cfl)

12isthenew18

If he is a player, and I assume he is and has been his whole career, languishing on the PS is not playing. Especially if you dont get any opportunity or just empty promises. If that is the argument then go where you will play. Otherwise whats the point? Guys hang around on the PS and nonsense squad because they have no options. Clearly this is not the case for Varga, Hodges or any other UDFA that has graduated and has a degree from a worthwhile school. Would you sacrifice a medical career or Wall St. opportunity for minimum wage, a promise and hope that the guy in front of you gets injured? What kind of tradeoff is that? These guys are not your run of the mill uneducated low Wonderlic guys that have no clue of what is going on. I would think that teams would have to step up and offer better pay on the PS to keep players like this, that is if they care who they have on the PS. At the end of the day, money will win out in both directions .... everyone goes where the cash is greener or the savings are greater.

My point is not to overlook this kid, options or not. I hope Grigson is not blinded by the fact that he paid a few paltry dollars to get Robinson and that keeps him from giving Varga his just opportunity. Likewise with the Ballard and Tipton situation. I understand the situation with Gore as they paid him the big bucks so performance or not you are stuck with him. I think we have been there and done that on quite a few occasions before?

Did you just compare a minimum of 112k a year to minimum wage?

Also, I really don't think you understand how much medical school costs. Varga won't be raking it in while at medical school, he'll be shoveling it out the door.

This is good stuff. When you're talking about a multi-billion dollar enterprise "partnering" with a similar multi-million dollar enterprise, control and autonomy are going to be major sticking points. Otherwise, it easily becomes a takeover, and the CFL obviously wants to operate independently.

Driving revenue shouldn't be that difficult, though. Sponsorship agreements and spotlights and stuff like that should drive some eyeballs and make some money for the CFL. We itch for football from June to August; how come the CFL can't get more TV time in the summer?

I think it would go a long way for both leagues if they loosened the restrictions on players going from one league to the other. If an NFL team tries out a few players, and doesn't have roster space for them, it would be great if they could assign that player to a CFL roster and retain his rights. Then once the CFL season ends (in November, with playoffs going into December), that player can be called up to the NFL team as part of an expanded practice squad, similar to MLB's September call-ups and 40 man rosters. They can't play in any games; they just finished a 20-22 game season. Players on the active roster can take more time off during practices, the CFL guys can get some coaching and reps and film work, and then the team has the right to retain the CFL guy for the next season.

As to the TV time, I'm sure it could happen, but I the interest is lacking.  Yeah, people like you and I would love to have a football fix during the summer.  We love the game enough that we'd watch any football game if it were a good game.  The casual fan likely won't care, and that is the bulk of today's viewership.  They would have to learn a new team, new names, and the variations between the CFL and NFL at bare minimum, not to mention a lower level of competition. One of the reasons the MiLB does well enough to stay in business is that, not only is it cheap to run, fans get more interaction with the teams than they would at higher levels of competition.  Most of the business and marketing of those teams is directed at the surrounding community, and tehy are almost self-sufficient, if not profitable, on that basis.  Not to delve too deep into the economics of MiLB (not all teams operate at a profit), but just to show you their target audience.  In a very measurable way, a town with a smaller population has, in a sense, a deeper connection with that team, like a high school baseball team, for instance.  Unless there were american counterparts in the CFL, anyone who wanted to follow it would have to do so at a great distance. By taking out the primary lifeline that supports MiLB teams, I doubt having TV time in the US for CFL teams would be likely to really attract much viewership, much less sustain it.  

I like a lot of the ideas that you discuss about loosening the restrictions on player movement between leagues, but I wonder if the CFL would have a problem with that.  They'd essentially be sharing commodities.  I mean, they wouldn't be paying the players salary and provided he played, the CFL team would be deriving a benefit.  Would there be any reason, other than the player's talent, that they would not want to play that person?  I suppose if you gave the CFL team the full rights to oversee the player - i.e. no micromanaging, development solely in hands of CFL coach, they can cut him (though, NFL still retains rights to player), etc. - I don't see what the issue would be.  Perhaps the only time you run into an issue is when the CFL wants to strike a contract with that player or let him go.  The CFL knwos our rules, they could just theoretically cut him and know that the NFL team can't keep him, which would allow him to be available to anyone.  

The average starting salary for Yale or Harvard grads is no where near 6 figures.

Right. Average starting salary for Harvard grads is $60K. Average midpoint career salary for a Harvard Law graduate (not a four year graduate) was $201K in 2013.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/5/28/senior-survey-2013/?page=single#

http://www.wsj.com/articles/harvard-law-graduates-top-salary-survey-1413957603

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014/full-list-of-schools

Average starting salary is $60K. Another article 

Yes, I compared 112K to minimum wage but its just a figure of speech. My point is the tradeoff. If you have no other choices then it is a no brainer. But when you have choices then it becomes an exercise in cost vs benefit analysis. Most of the guys in this league had zero other options when they first got here. The ones that got a big signing bonus all of a sudden had some power and leverage. A small percentage actually do become legit stars. No GM wants to look stupid by drafting a guy and giving him a big bonus or guaranteed money and then cutting him. That is how you get fired. So, he sucks it up and either trades the guy (if he can) or keeps him on the roster (making room by cutting some poor low salary hangaround who was never given a chance and was probably just as good as the new guy coming in) to save face. Most recent high profile examples ... Johnny Football and Tim Tebow. Next will be Jamis Winston. The players that have options and a future outside of football would be foolish to accept the $112K tradeoff. For every one UDFA that makes it or becomes a star there are 10,000 who get cut. What kind of odds are these to hang your future on?Opportunities given lie with the amount of money that is attached to any given player and $112K guys are the low fruit on the tree. Yes, to most this is an outrageous amount of money and their only option but the reality is that it will seldom give you the opportunity to displace a higher salary guy regardless of your ability. Somehow I would believe that Yale, Harvard, Stanford etc. grads would understand this concept better than the rest?

As to the TV time, I'm sure it could happen, but I the interest is lacking.  Yeah, people like you and I would love to have a football fix during the summer.  We love the game enough that we'd watch any football game if it were a good game.  The casual fan likely won't care, and that is the bulk of today's viewership.  They would have to learn a new team, new names, and the variations between the CFL and NFL at bare minimum, not to mention a lower level of competition. One of the reasons the MiLB does well enough to stay in business is that, not only is it cheap to run, fans get more interaction with the teams than they would at higher levels of competition.  Most of the business and marketing of those teams is directed at the surrounding community, and tehy are almost self-sufficient, if not profitable, on that basis.  Not to delve too deep into the economics of MiLB (not all teams operate at a profit), but just to show you their target audience.  In a very measurable way, a town with a smaller population has, in a sense, a deeper connection with that team, like a high school baseball team, for instance.  Unless there were american counterparts in the CFL, anyone who wanted to follow it would have to do so at a great distance. By taking out the primary lifeline that supports MiLB teams, I doubt having TV time in the US for CFL teams would be likely to really attract much viewership, much less sustain it.  

I like a lot of the ideas that you discuss about loosening the restrictions on player movement between leagues, but I wonder if the CFL would have a problem with that.  They'd essentially be sharing commodities.  I mean, they wouldn't be paying the players salary and provided he played, the CFL team would be deriving a benefit.  Would there be any reason, other than the player's talent, that they would not want to play that person?  I suppose if you gave the CFL team the full rights to oversee the player - i.e. no micromanaging, development solely in hands of CFL coach, they can cut him (though, NFL still retains rights to player), etc. - I don't see what the issue would be.  Perhaps the only time you run into an issue is when the CFL wants to strike a contract with that player or let him go.  The CFL knwos our rules, they could just theoretically cut him and know that the NFL team can't keep him, which would allow him to be available to anyone.  

So if the NFL/CFL optioned one game a week to CNBC or NBC Universal (they already have a deal with NBC), wouldn't people watch? It would cost less. It would take time, but eventually, the CFL would become more popular and make more money. 

This all would be a really big deal, and would have to be collectively bargained. But I think the NFL needs to expand rosters and do other things to promote long-term player development. People always say the NFL should start its own minor league and stop relying so much on college football, but there's this fully functional league that the NFL already likes to poach from, and it would make more sense to just invest in the well-being of the CFL. 

I'm sure people much smarter than I am have thought about and discussed this. I'm sure there are major obstacles, but long-term, they should figure it out.

Yes, I compared 112K to minimum wage but its just a figure of speech. My point is the tradeoff. If you have no other choices then it is a no brainer. But when you have choices then it becomes an exercise in cost vs benefit analysis. Most of the guys in this league had zero other options when they first got here. The ones that got a big signing bonus all of a sudden had some power and leverage. A small percentage actually do become legit stars. No GM wants to look stupid by drafting a guy and giving him a big bonus or guaranteed money and then cutting him. That is how you get fired. So, he sucks it up and either trades the guy (if he can) or keeps him on the roster (making room by cutting some poor low salary hangaround who was never given a chance and was probably just as good as the new guy coming in) to save face. Most recent high profile examples ... Johnny Football and Tim Tebow. Next will be Jamis Winston. The players that have options and a future outside of football would be foolish to accept the $112K tradeoff. For every one UDFA that makes it or becomes a star there are 10,000 who get cut. What kind of odds are these to hang your future on?Opportunities given lie with the amount of money that is attached to any given player and $112K guys are the low fruit on the tree. Yes, to most this is an outrageous amount of money and their only option but the reality is that it will seldom give you the opportunity to displace a higher salary guy regardless of your ability. Somehow I would believe that Yale, Harvard, Stanford etc. grads would understand this concept better than the rest?

I'm sure they do understand, though, I'm not sure you do.

They understand that they have a shot to make it in one of the most lucrative businesses in the world. They have a chance to make millions of dollars playing a kids game, a game I'm sure they love, something only 1% of 1% of 1% of people can do. They also understand that, since they're likely very smart human beings with execellent educations, that whatever career they had in mind outside of football will still be achievable if football does not work out. The opposite certainly does not apply.

So if the NFL/CFL optioned one game a week to CNBC or NBC Universal (they already have a deal with NBC), wouldn't people watch? It would cost less. It would take time, but eventually, the CFL would become more popular and make more money. 

This all would be a really big deal, and would have to be collectively bargained. But I think the NFL needs to expand rosters and do other things to promote long-term player development. People always say the NFL should start its own minor league and stop relying so much on college football, but there's this fully functional league that the NFL already likes to poach from, and it would make more sense to just invest in the well-being of the CFL. 

I'm sure people much smarter than I am have thought about and discussed this. I'm sure there are major obstacles, but long-term, they should figure it out.

That sounds kind of like what they are doing with trying to get the NFL abroad.  And it's working by the NFL's acccount (at least I would assume they wouldn't continue to play games there if interest was lacking).  But it's a work in progress.  Not sure how long that would take if it worked.  Like you, my business prowess is limited compared to the people trying to make ideas  like this work.  I suppose at least the CFL has the benefit of being broadcast into the homes where most people already enjoy the sport of football, so that's a good start.  

I almost wonder if another way, and of course, this would require the NFL's investment in itself essentially, but create an inferior league, let's say, the FXFL, and work with the CFL in making that its own separate division.  You could even make it so that the 2 Canadian divisions get all 6 playoff spots and you could have 2 wild card games for the top two US teams.  Play them against both lowest seeded Canadian teams in a win or your out fashion (think the#16 seeds that are settled right before the NCAAB tournament).  Put the teams up in NY, MA, PA, and maybe a 4th in WAS (Seattle) or IL.  Use their rules and whatnot, but if they are under contract by one of those teams, they are property of the NFL.  Say each team is comprised of players from 2 divisions, which means that there are 46 slots for 8 teams.  Each team gets 5 slots, with the remaining 6 slots to be given out to the worst teams in those divisions in order of inverse standings.  Taht way, the CFL has their league, their rules, their teams, we don't really hijack the games or playoffs, but in the spirit of fair competition, the US teams get a shot at winning a championship.  If there's a player on a Canadian team someone likes, we can trade, (including "optioning" a current practice squad player) for rights to that player.  Put them in places where there's a large market so you can at least draw upon football die hards and whatever-is-between-casual-and-die-hard fans, plus you have the added bonus of having a farm system.  Maybe you don't have your own farm team, but you've essentially got "farm players."

I guess one advantage to trying again today is football's popularity has exploded since the mid-90s.  I mean, I've never seen the amount of coverage at the end of April when the schedule is released and all the diagnosing, analysis, and complaining that goes follows.  All of the information is readily knowable as to what each team's schedule will look like, just not the order in which they're played.  

1) You are overestimating the how much an Ivy League grad makes. (especially Hodges a Government/Philosophy major)  2) You are underestimating the salary and opportunities that come with being involved with the NFL (even on the practice squad). 3) As has been pointed out by other posters the other option will still be there after football, you are making it out as if postponing is the same as giving it up (see John Frank TE 49ers). 

https://youtu.be/idvX2h0sV7A

Varga is at fullback for much of his time at the Senior Bowl.  I do not think he is a natural tailback.

To me he's got slow to medium quickness, and not much long speed.

I think Varga would be used on offense similar to how he was used at the senior bowl.  Mostly a blocking

and receiving full back who you can occasionally line up in a single back set if it's short down and distance.

I'm no coach, but I don't see him being a starting tailback in the NFL.  Mostly a contributor at full back who can

give you some spot duty at tailback on occasion.  I can see Zenner in the tailback position more than I can see Varga.

Just my opinion....

https://youtu.be/idvX2h0sV7A

Varga is at fullback for much of his time at the Senior Bowl.  I do not think he is a natural tailback.

To me he's got slow to medium quickness, and not much long speed.

I think Varga would be used on offense similar to how he was used at the senior bowl.  Mostly a blocking

and receiving full back who you can occasionally line up in a single back set if it's short down and distance.

I'm no coach, but I don't see him being a starting tailback in the NFL.  Mostly a contributor at full back who can

give you some spot duty at tailback on occasion.  I can see Zenner in the tailback position more than I can see Varga.

Just my opinion....

I think you should look at the video that you posted and then read all the comments. I don't believe you watched the Sr. Bowl. If after watching the whole game you don't think that Varga was the best RB on the field then I would question your ability to evaluate the position.  Here are the highlights, watch the whole thing including Mayock's comments at the end. 

Zach Zenner is another kid with termendous ability that was labeled as a FB. I mean common, the kid rushed for 3 consecutive 2000+ yard seasons, tests out as one of the top 5 RBs at the combine and he goes undrafted and is labeled a FB. That is beyond ridiculous. TJ Yeldon was the third back picked in the draft. That is even more ridiculous. Even the craziest analyst would not put him in the top 15 RBs. Only reason he was picked there is to keep with Saben's tradition of having his RBs drafted in the first 2 rounds. I would pick Zenner or Varga or Robinson over him 100% of the time.

I think you should look at the video that you posted and then read all the comments. I don't believe you watched the Sr. Bowl. If after watching the whole game you don't think that Varga was the best RB on the field then I would question your ability to evaluate the position.  Here are the highlights, watch the whole thing including Mayock's comments at the end. 

Zach Zenner is another kid with termendous ability that was labeled as a FB. I mean common, the kid rushed for 3 consecutive 2000+ yard seasons, tests out as one of the top 5 RBs at the combine and he goes undrafted and is labeled a FB. That is beyond ridiculous. TJ Yeldon was the third back picked in the draft. That is even more ridiculous. Even the craziest analyst would not put him in the top 15 RBs. Only reason he was picked there is to keep with Saben's tradition of having his RBs drafted in the first 2 rounds. I would pick Zenner or Varga or Robinson over him 100% of the time.

Sorry I did watch the SR Bowl sir!

Please tell us what Varga is doing playing fullback for most of that game?  No one asked David Cobb to play fullback. I think you giving Varga way too much credit.  Let us know why he was playing fullback instead of skipping over the issue and pointing to something else.

The guy had 31 yards rushing in the Senior Bowl along with catching 3 passes for 30 plus yards and you want to tell us what a dominant Senior Bowl performance he had?

He did exactly as I described him, a guy who can catch some passes out of the backfield for you, play some fullback and occasionally line up in a single back formation and pick up some tough yardage.   He had short touchdown runs of 7 and 13 yards.  What in that game tells you he's a full time starter?  Let me know

I might take Zenner or Robinson over Yeldon maybe, but I would never take Varga over Yeldon.   Yeldon is a good back for the type of running scheme the Jaguars will be utilizing.   Yeldon is a little better than what people give him credit for.  Varga played fullback in the Sr. Bowl for a reason and it wasn't because he just wanted to.  I believe NFL teams see him as exactly that and if he makes the Colts it will be in that capacity.  I can agree with Zenner having enough skills to be a tailback, but I don't agree that Varga does.

I might take Zenner or Robinson over Yeldon maybe, but I would never take Varga over Yeldon.   Yeldon is a good back for the type of running scheme the Jaguars will be utilizing.   Yeldon is a little better than what people give him credit for.  Varga played fullback in the Sr. Bowl for a reason and it wasn't because he just wanted to.  I believe NFL teams see him as exactly that and if he makes the Colts it will be in that capacity.  I can agree with Zenner having enough skills to be a tailback, but I don't agree that Varga does.

He's much more Stanley Havili than he is Vonta Leach. He's a weapon with the ball in his hands, not as a lead blocker. I don't know what he'll do in the league, but I don't think he's a true FB.

Sorry I did watch the SR Bowl sir!

Please tell us what Varga is doing playing fullback for most of that game?  No one asked David Cobb to play fullback. I think you giving Varga way too much credit.  Let us know why he was playing fullback instead of skipping over the issue and pointing to something else.

The guy had 31 yards rushing in the Senior Bowl along with catching 3 passes for 30 plus yards and you want to tell us what a dominant Senior Bowl performance he had?

He did exactly as I described him, a guy who can catch some passes out of the backfield for you, play some fullback and occasionally line up in a single back formation and pick up some tough yardage.   He had short touchdown runs of 7 and 13 yards.  What in that game tells you he's a full time starter?  Let me know

I didn't see Mayock and company singing the Yale fight song for any other back or praising any other back. Did you? General consensus from people at the game was that Varga, not Abdullah, was the game MVP. Regardless, you are entitled to your media tainted opinion. If that is how you see it then that is how you see it. I, personally did not see a better run in that game than Varga's second TD run. If you saw one I would appreciate you showing it to me.

In regard to TJ Yeldon. Going to the Jags was a death sentence for him. Absolutely a bad fit and a bad team. That team needs a back that can produce in a crap environment. Yeldon is not that guy. Yeldon does not hold a candle to Zenner, Robinson or Varga for that matter. That pick was a gimmie and you know it and so does everyone else. There were at least a dozen backs on the board that would have been a 1000 times better pick for them than that. Taking backs high in the draft from a school where they are a bi-product of their environment is a risky proposition at best. I look for a back that has produced with a crappy undrafted line. My sister could run behind the Bama line. Does someone named Richardson come to mind? Appreciate your opinion but I think you are way out on this one.

He's much more Stanley Havili than he is Vonta Leach. He's a weapon with the ball in his hands, not as a lead blocker. I don't know what he'll do in the league, but I don't think he's a true FB.

I agree with that assessment.  I didn't meant to forecast him as a true fullback in the traditional sense, but I did say that he will probably be used in the league very similar to how he was used at the Senior Bowl.  Somewhat as a multi-use guy, but I don't think he's a true tailback in the NFL in the Frank Gore, Arian Foster mold.

I didn't see Mayock and company singing the Yale fight song for any other back or praising any other back. Did you? General consensus from people at the game was that Varga, not Abdullah, was the game MVP. Regardless, you are entitled to your media tainted opinion. If that is how you see it then that is how you see it. I, personally did not see a better run in that game than Varga's second TD run. If you saw one I would appreciate you showing it to me.

In regard to TJ Yeldon. Going to the Jags was a death sentence for him. Absolutely a bad fit and a bad team. That team needs a back that can produce in a crap environment. Yeldon is not that guy. Yeldon does not hold a candle to Zenner, Robinson or Varga for that matter. That pick was a gimmie and you know it and so does everyone else. There were at least a dozen backs on the board that would have been a 1000 times better pick for them than that. Taking backs high in the draft from a school where they are a bi-product of their environment is a risky proposition at best. I look for a back that has produced with a crappy undrafted line. My sister could run behind the Bama line. Does someone named Richardson come to mind? Appreciate your opinion but I think you are way out on this one.

You're still jumping over the issue of why he was used as a fullback at the Senior Bowl.  I'm not saying anything different than how the coaches used him in the game.  How's that Media tainted? I spoke of Zach Zenner being much more close to being a true tailback and there' nobody in the media singing a bunch of praise about Zenner.  I easily formed that opinion on my own based on his production in college and who he was productive against.  And I did the same from everything I saw of Varga.   I don't think Varga is just some kind of a pure blocking back, but I don't think he's a true tailback either.  As I stated I think his role in the NFL will be similar to how he was used in that game.

To each his own, but I think you have a clear bias against Yeldon.  He's going to the same scheme he was in at Alabama and Jacksonville has done some things to improve their line.  Bortles is in his second year in that offense and they've added additional WR talent so I don't think it's going to be this crap environment you speak about.  

You said yourself that the Senior Bowl highlights of Varga completely changed your view on him. He had 4 carries and 3 receptions in that game. I don't trust the opinion of someone who either forms an opinion of a player or changes their opinion of a player from such a small sample size.

You're still jumping over the issue of why he was used as a fullback at the Senior Bowl.  I'm not saying anything different than how the coaches used him in the game.  How's that Media tainted? I spoke of Zach Zenner being much more close to being a true tailback and there' nobody in the media singing a bunch of praise about Zenner.  I easily formed that opinion on my own based on his production in college and who he was productive against.  And I did the same from everything I saw of Varga.   I don't think Varga is just some kind of a pure blocking back, but I don't think he's a true tailback either.  As I stated I think his role in the NFL will be similar to how he was used in that game.

To each his own, but I think you have a clear bias against Yeldon.  He's going to the same scheme he was in at Alabama and Jacksonville has done some things to improve their line.  Bortles is in his second year in that offense and they've added additional WR talent so I don't think it's going to be this crap environment you speak about.  

I am not jumping over the issue. There are two reasons why he was invited to the Sr. Bowl as a FB and used in that role. The first I will not get in to. The second is because they already had quite a few RBs and no FB at the time of his invite. As strange as it may seem to you he had not played a single down at FB prior to the Sr. Bowl. I would think that if they wanted to invite a pure FB there was plenty to chose from that could have filled that role. The South squad had Jalston Fowler. Crazy thing is he outplayed Fowler in that role too! That either tells me that it is not that difficult to learn and play that position or this kid is a superior athlete since he was able to pick up a new position that others have played their whole life, and do it better than them at about 30 lbs lighter than your average FB .... at the premier showcase event! Now let me ask you this, why do you think he was invited to the Sr. Bowl as a FB in light of two very glaring facts; 1. he had never played the position before 2. he was at least 25-3- lbs undersized to play that role?

What about Zenner. Why was he not invited to the Sr. Bowl? They had him billed as a FB. He gets an invite to the Shrine Game where he is given the ball 2 times ... yes 2 . Why do you think this happened? Its not like it was a star studded backfield on the west side.  

I am not biased on Yeldon. I just call a spade a spade. He has no metrics and no ability that in my eyes justifies him being picked in the second round while Robinson goes in the 6th and Zenner and Varga go undrafted. Call me crazy but I have talked to quite a few that agree with my opinion.

Going forward, I think our coaching staff is a bit smarter than the rest of the bunch that just eats what is fed by the media hype. I am glad to see that our RB stable is realistic of what actually happens on the field. Everyone is crazed about long speed or 40 time and most of those track stars turn out to be a bust or are busted. And yes there are a few exceptions. Most backs in the league average less than 5 yds per carry. According to 2014 RB stats for all RBs with 100+ ATT, you witnessed one 20+ yard run every 40 or so ATT. Yes, that is how rare a 20 yard run is. Franlk Gore had 5 of these for the entire season. If all 2014 ATT are counted the probabilty goes to one 20+ yard run every 69 ATT. That is eye popping. The reality of it is this. A back needs to be good in short space, be able to take a beating, able to catch the ball and protect your most prized posession (if you are one of the lucky teams that has one). In my opinion, Varga excells in all these roles, so I am pitching for the kid and the team.            

Varga is alright:

Positives

• Solid vision
  • Catches the ball well
  • Has some shiftiness to him

Negatives

• I'd like to see him run with more power then he does, He flashes it but to often gets taken down by ankle tackles for my liking
  • Does not show enough speed to bounce a run outside in the NFL
  • Has balance problems at times after the catch or hand off