Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

La'el Collins Update

If we don't have massive intrest in Collins at UDFA money ill be even more * off then I was with the Dorsett pick. You are literally getting a 1st round talent for peanuts. If you haven't noticed yet there Grigson our O line isn't really a strong suit on the team.

IMO the colts need to put in a shot at getting this guy for one he should be able to shore up the right side of the line from day 1. Two he could be a possible replacement for the RT spot. But like everyone is posting everything is speculation until the young man decides. 

Rick Venturi added that getting Collins would instantly fix the problems on the right side of the OL for the future. I would be extremely dissapointed in the Colts management if they didnt pursue Collins to start at RG or RT right away.

Rick Venturi added that getting Collins would instantly fix the problems on the right side of the OL for the future. I would be extremely dissapointed in the Colts management if they didnt pursue Collins to start at RG or RT right away.

Yep....at least try to sign him anyway. He's less than half-price of what he'd been had none of this happened and he'd just slipped to us at #29.

Assuming he gets completely cleared I don't know why we wouldn't try to take a cheap 2-year test drive with him.

I just stopped by the site....

Who is Josh Wilson....?

He must have 10-12 stories about the Colts....

Seems like a reporter dedicated to the site....

http://www.stampedeblue.com/authors/josh-wilson Josh Wilson Lead Writer, Editor in Chief

Josh is lead writer and editor in chief of Stampede Blue, where he is entering his third season covering the team. His desire is to be objective and fair, providing great analysis of the team while at the same time not losing the passion of being a fan. It's a fine balance but one Josh is constantly striving toward. He has been credentialled by the Colts and, in addition to writing for Stampede Blue covers everything Colts on his twitter account, @coltsfanwilson.

.......he looks like he's 12.

As much as I would.

I don't know why you'd think he wouldn't?

He covers the Colts.   I assume he lives not far away and actually goes to games.    He may be credentialed.  

He likely calls and talks to the Colts PR people.   Do this over a number of years and you develop relationships and some of those can turn into sources.

That's typically the way it works....

http://www.stampedeblue.com/authors/josh-wilson Josh Wilson Lead Writer, Editor in Chief

Josh is lead writer and editor in chief of Stampede Blue, where he is entering his third season covering the team. His desire is to be objective and fair, providing great analysis of the team while at the same time not losing the passion of being a fan. It's a fine balance but one Josh is constantly striving toward. He has been credentialled by the Colts and, in addition to writing for Stampede Blue covers everything Colts on his twitter account, @coltsfanwilson.

.......he looks like he's 12.

Thanks...

Appreciate the link....   and while he does indeed look very young,  the fact that he's credentialed tells me he's in his 20's....

Good for him....   he's covering one of 32 NFL teams in his 20's.    That's a great start on his career....

I don't know why you'd think he wouldn't?

He covers the Colts. I assume he lives not far away and actually goes to games. He may be credentialed.

He likely calls and talks to the Colts PR people. Do this over a number of years and you develop relationships and some of those can turn into sources.

That's typically the way it works....

Ok. Stampede blue has literally never broken a story. That should put an end to this.

Ok. Stampede blue has literally never broken a story. That should put an end to this.

I'm not defending Stampede Blue...    I hated the guy they had before Josh Wilson.   (What was his name again?)

I'm just saying it's possible the guy has developed sources over time...

You realize you're talking about my background....   what I did for 30 years....

I'm not saying I know for sure that I'm right...   only that it's not unreasonable to think he might have a source or two...

Thanks...

Appreciate the link....   and while he does indeed look very young,  the fact that he's credentialed tells me he's in his 20's....

Good for him....   he's covering one of 32 NFL teams in his 20's.    That's a great start on his career....

I wonder how much the Colts pay him....Stampede Blue doesn't advertise so it's not independent. 

I'm not defending Stampede Blue...    I hated the guy they had before Josh Wilson.   (What was his name again?)

You realize you're talking about my background....   what I did for 30 years....

I'm not saying I know for sure that I'm right...   only that it's not unreasonable to think he might have a source or two...

Brad Wells was the guy that was the lead writer before Wilson. I'm almost postive he lived in New York when he was head writer, I believe he's living in Vancouver now. Wilson is very chatty on twitter with guys from the Star and other local Indianapolis media. I know he always goes to training camp, and he live tweets during games. I'm not sure if he has many sources, but I agree he probably has at least one source. I worked in media for a few years too, not nearly as long as you though. You worked in media longer than I've been alive (by a year). Sorry I was not trying to make you feel old.

One of my best friends got an English degree from IPFW and is a sportswriter for multiple sites like stampede blue for the Titans.  He never played a down of football in his life, he bet me $100 the Titans would NOT pick Mariotta, and he is the head Titans writer...

Blogs like stampede blue have English majors that are sports fans.  They just write about the crap they hear and rumors but use there English degree to articulate the words.  they have no sources what so ever, just ideas and thoughts they put in writing.

I wouldn't use Stampede Blue as my only source, but I'll say they are not always wrong and I give them more seriousness now than I use to because they got rid of that bum Brad Wells.   Right now they try to put out stuff that is non sensational and somewhat close to the truth for the most part.  But again I wouldn't use them as my only source of course.

Here is the same story being told by Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star:

A team source indicated the club has only lukewarm interest in Collins, who met with Baton Rouge, La., police Monday to answer questions about the death of 29-year-old Brittany Mills.

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2015/05/04/indianapolis-colts-nfl-draft-lsu-lael-collins/26891729/

I see a lot of people reporting stuff on this forum that comes from Stephen Holder.

we need to be talking with him NOW.  Not after he's cleared.  Stress with him the strong possibility to start and the Colts chances for making and winning the Super Bowl.  Wine and dine him.  I truly believe that he's innocent and will be cleared soon.  But we shouldn't wait for that.  Enlist players to talk with him about becoming a Colt.  PLEASE!

Brad Wells was the guy that was the lead writer before Wilson. I'm almost postive he lived in New York when he was head writer, I believe he's living in Vancouver now. Wilson is very chatty on twitter with guys from the Star and other local Indianapolis media. I know he always goes to training camp, and he live tweets during games. I'm not sure if he has many sources, but I agree he probably has at least one source. I worked in media for a few years too, not nearly as long as you though. You worked in media longer than I've been alive (by a year). Sorry I was not trying to make you feel old.

No worries.....

It's possible this kid doesn't have any sources.    I'm just saying to Dustin that it's also possible he does.

Wilson gets credentials from the Colts every home game.    And maybe even the road game if he travels....

He goes to games...   he sits in the press box....   he meets people...    he sits in where the media interviews are done and meets more people.     He's likely meeting players and coaches.     It's possible he makes friends with one/some.

At some point,  a friendly relationship could turn into a person being a source for Wilson.    I just think it's possible.

Here is the same story being told by Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star:

A team source indicated the club has only lukewarm interest in Collins, who met with Baton Rouge, La., police Monday to answer questions about the death of 29-year-old Brittany Mills.

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2015/05/04/indianapolis-colts-nfl-draft-lsu-lael-collins/26891729/

I see a lot of people reporting stuff on this forum that comes from Stephen Holder.

Thanks for posting this....   always good to know....

I simply don't understand why the team would be "luke warm" on Collins.

It's not like he'd cost the team a draft pick,  or even a huge contract.

He's a free agent.......    what's the problem?!?    

Honestly, if this is true,  I'd be seriously disappointed.....

Thanks for posting this....   always good to know....

I simply don't understand why the team would be "luke warm" on Collins.

It's not like he'd cost the team a draft pick,  or even a huge contract.

He's a free agent.......    what's the problem?!?    

Honestly, if this is true,  I'd be seriously disappointed.....

I'm all for having Collins.  Not sure what the staff sees, but it is what it is.

Many teams say they are not interested in XYZ player when they really are so we'll see if that changes.

However I do know with Grigs he usually shoots pretty straight so if they really are not interested then

that is what it really is I suppose.

Breaking: I've been notified by representatives of OT La'el Collins that his paternity test results were negative. Specifically, Collins is not the father of Brittney Mills' child and Collins passed A polygraph test administered by an independent investigator in connection with Mills' case.

-Josina Anderson

The Colts don't pay him a penny.    No professional sports franchise pays for any media.

That's not how it works.

Didn't know if Stampede Blue was an offshoot of NFL.com or not. There's no advertising and it's not subscription so someone is flipping the bill....who. And based upon the obvious lack of detail in your reply it appears this is just another of your knee jerk reactions to a comment....again.

"SBNation.com is a sports network focuses on developing content on the web, offering over 300[17] websites, each with its own name, URL, brand, community focus, writers, and guidelines. The sports network covers most or all teams in MLB, the NBA, NFL, MLS, and NHL, as well as NASCAR, MMA, college sports, pro cycling, and other sports.

At a DC-based kickoff event in February 2009, there were about 185 blogs. ComScore, the Reston, Virginia-based tracker of consumer Internet habits, tallied 5.8 million unique visitors to SB Nation Web sites during the month of November 2010. That 208 percent increase over the 1.9 million unique visitors in November 2009 made SB Nation the fastest growing sports Web site the company tracked at the time.[18] As of December, 2010, SB Nation had 12 million unique visitors and over 100 million page views monthly, according to CEO Jim Bankoff. Expansion includes mobile and going global, into the "European Premier (soccer) League." [19] As of March, 2011, Vox Media's SB Nation had grown to more than 300 separate web sites maintained primarily by part-time contract writers. They put together posts, facilitate dialogue and interact with commenters. As of November 2012, ComScore reported that there were 130 million people in the U.S. who accessed sports news online in October. ESPN's 45 million unique visitors still exceeded SB Nation’s 9.4 million, but ESPN lost 5 million visitors year-over-year, while SB Nation grew by 20%.[13] As of June, 2013, Vox says that SB Nation has reached 50 million unique visitors per month and 190 million monthly page views, and has more than 70,000 Twitter followers (@SBNation) and almost 67,000 likes on Facebook.[20]

In February, 2011, SB Nation hired Rob Neyer away from ESPN, where he had worked for 15 years in what CEO Jim Bankoff called a "high profile hire".[21] On March 30, 2011 SB Nation launched Baseball Nation.[22] Baseball Nation features writers Jason Brannon, Carson Cistulli, editors Rob Neyer, Jeff Sullivan and Grant Brisbee."

Didn't know if Stampede Blue was an offshoot of NFL.com or not. There's no advertising and it's not subscription so someone is flipping the bill....who. And based upon the obvious lack of detail in your reply it appears this is just another of your knee jerk reactions to a comment....again.

"SBNation.com is a sports network focuses on developing content on the web, offering over 300[17] websites, each with its own name, URL, brand, community focus, writers, and guidelines. The sports network covers most or all teams in MLB, the NBA, NFL, MLS, and NHL, as well as NASCAR, MMA, college sports, pro cycling, and other sports.

At a DC-based kickoff event in February 2009, there were about 185 blogs. ComScore, the Reston, Virginia-based tracker of consumer Internet habits, tallied 5.8 million unique visitors to SB Nation Web sites during the month of November 2010. That 208 percent increase over the 1.9 million unique visitors in November 2009 made SB Nation the fastest growing sports Web site the company tracked at the time.[18] As of December, 2010, SB Nation had 12 million unique visitors and over 100 million page views monthly, according to CEO Jim Bankoff. Expansion includes mobile and going global, into the "European Premier (soccer) League." [19] As of March, 2011, Vox Media's SB Nation had grown to more than 300 separate web sites maintained primarily by part-time contract writers. They put together posts, facilitate dialogue and interact with commenters. As of November 2012, ComScore reported that there were 130 million people in the U.S. who accessed sports news online in October. ESPN's 45 million unique visitors still exceeded SB Nation’s 9.4 million, but ESPN lost 5 million visitors year-over-year, while SB Nation grew by 20%.[13] As of June, 2013, Vox says that SB Nation has reached 50 million unique visitors per month and 190 million monthly page views, and has more than 70,000 Twitter followers (@SBNation) and almost 67,000 likes on Facebook.[20]

In February, 2011, SB Nation hired Rob Neyer away from ESPN, where he had worked for 15 years in what CEO Jim Bankoff called a "high profile hire".[21] On March 30, 2011 SB Nation launched Baseball Nation.[22] Baseball Nation features writers Jason Brannon, Carson Cistulli, editors Rob Neyer, Jeff Sullivan and Grant Brisbee."

Well...

You just answered your own question....   the people footing the bill is SBNation.

But, it backs my point, which is that professional sports teams don't foot the bill for the media.

You're new.    My background is 30 years working in the media.

You don't have to like me,  or respect me.    You can take all the shots that you like.    But when it comes to media,  I know the industry well.    And,  as I noted,   I was right.    The colts don't pay for SB Nation.

I think you're going to find that taking shots at me is not going to pay-off for you in the long-run,  but if you want,  you can find out the hard way....   others have,  and they eventually learned too.

Reading that he's visiting the Cowboys now. Crazy if the reports are true that he wants to start at T now. I was thinking they maybe had a spot at one of the guards but thinking they are strong at T.